Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Somehow missed this entirely in the past, starting from the beginning and am highly impressed at the quality in every respect---definitely glad this LP has returned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
So after this is done, we all get to nag you about DmC?

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Sindai posted:

You know, I had forgotten how weirdly similar Bayonetta's plot was to DMC4's. Did anyone ever ask Kamiya about that?

He'd probably reply with a "gently caress off."

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Cryohazard posted:

So after this is done, we all get to nag you about DmC?

I doesn't look like people are even waiting for that if you've read the last couple of pages.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Sindai posted:

You know, I had forgotten how weirdly similar Bayonetta's plot was to DMC4's.

Anyone who claims to understand Bayonetta's plot is either lying or insane.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Using the protagonist to power a huge godlike statue was one of the less nutty plot points in Bayonetta's plot.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

He'd probably reply with a "gently caress off."

Mostly because he's never worked on a DMC except 1.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Nice to see this one back.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Anime Reference posted:

Anyone who claims to understand Bayonetta's plot is either lying or insane.

It's fairly simple. Witch raises from the dead but not really to fight angels... Am I missing something?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Zain posted:

It's fairly simple. Witch raises from the dead but not really to fight angels... Am I missing something?

Woman whose physical proportions are reminiscent of a spider stylishly kills angels. Then a small child appears.
That child is Bayonetta before she turned into a spider. Space Harrier. Then they throw a god into the sun to kill it.

It's basically nothing at all like DMC4. Except maybe for the stylish part.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
And Jubileus does totally look a lot like the Savior, though really you'd expect two giant animated god statues to look pretty similar.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
DMC4:SE went on preorder on Steam today. It's only $25 and it comes out June the 23rd apparently. That price is much cheaper than I thought it would be so that's nice.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The ghostly arm and Nero's trigger summon remind me a lot of Chaos Legion. So does the cathedral theme with demonic powers behind the wainscoting.

Does Nero ever learn to punt suicide bomber midget demons?

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Someone has probably pointed this out in a previous thread, but the statues where you can buy new powers or upgrade them remind me of the Goddess Sekhmet, of war, vengeance, and other stuff. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sekhmet

Her titles apparently include "She Who Mauls" and "Lady of Slaughter" which are pretty badass titles. Fitting for powering up Nero & Dante.

Some of the doors in this castle have had lion heads worked on them, too.

Gorgeous game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I could never get the timing on Royal Guard down at all ever.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Really glad to see this is back

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Lotish posted:

I could never get the timing on Royal Guard down at all ever.

Is it weird that I can do Royal Guard well but pull off exceed to save my life?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fabulousvillain posted:

Exceed is more uncomfortable to me because you have to do it mid-attack. It's weird but it really is the thing that makes it feel more awkward to me.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I learned exceed because you really have to to make the most of Nero (and doing a triple spinning flame slash is really cool), but I ignored RG because the other styles are just as powerful and easier to use.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

ImpAtom posted:

Exceed is more uncomfortable to me because you have to do it mid-attack. It's weird but it really is the thing that makes it feel more awkward to me.

Exceed became really easy for me when I started listening for the cues instead of trying to time it based on animations. It's really easy once you know what to listen for.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
It's great to have you back. I always wondered what happened, but was too cheap and bad at video games to bother buying it for myself.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
I will say this game is pretty accessible difficulty wise on Normal, and the Special Edition should if anything make it more so given one of the new characters you can play looks pretty great on the front of 'this is a character that doesn't have a lot of mechanics to manage while also playing like you expect a devil may cry character to play'.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Ah, 2011, the good ol' days. I posted... twice in that thread and damned if I won't post more in this one!

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
I still hate Exceed cause it's a pain in the rear end to do it with EVERY single attack and because if you already have Exceed charges, the timing for further Exceeds triggers also changes.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
DMC4 was the first of the series I played properly (read: obsessively). Never did finish Heaven and Hell because of how boring it gets without being able to combo anything. (Are difficulty gimmicks spoilers?)

Looks like it's time to dig out the old HD Collection and plow through the whole series in preparation for DMC4: Special Edition (once I finish DmC -- which is surprisingly good on Hardcore + Turbo Mode).

Surprise T Rex fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 18, 2015

Petronel
May 18, 2015
Nightmare's back! With DMC4! Hurrah!

Your LPs of DMC1 and DMC3 got me to dig out my copies, and helped me all the way through (I'm not especially good at fast-paced fighting). I've been hoping to see you finish up DMC4, and now it's actually happening. :dance:

I also found DMC4 to be ridiculously fun, and, while the flak it's gotten has solid reasons behind it (I'm thinking of the backtracking), it was a great experience. Looking forward to seeing you demolish this game! (The end of your Mission 1 video had my jaw on the floor back in the day.)

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013
Wow, awesome. I loved your other LPs. And I love that every time I think I know everything about DMC4, it turns out I don't. Are you going to be covering the 'side' stuff like the variant difficulties, Bloody Palace and Automatic mode?

I wonder if you can do that Scarecrow secret mission with Omen?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

drat, well this is a pleasant surprise. I thought this playthrough had been lost in LP hell.

DMC4 is a game I have mixed feelings about. The combat system is amazing and is a perfect evolution of the already fantastic DMC3 system, but on the other hand the game they built around it is less than stellar. It's not bad, far from it, but compared to DMC3's wonderfully-paced tower ascent 4's set of missions leave something to be desired, and the limited boss pool is disappointing because bosses are awesome in this series. Overall I consider it a great game, but also kind of a missed opportunity. Since this is Capcom I can only assume that this is because the game was rushed out half-finished before they could nail down the campaign. The next game in the series had the potential to take this combat system and apply it to a more solidly structured game but, well as we all know Capcom hit the "completely unnecessary reboot" button and cocked that up. Which is an even bigger missed opportunity.

Oh well, watching Dante murder demons while switching styles and weapons on the fly is still awesome as gently caress. I'm looking forward to seeing this LP finished

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
This game and RE5 both suffer from the brain drain that afflicted Capcom when the last gen started. They lost a lot of their creative talent and it shows.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think people tend to over-remember the previous games. DMC1 had a ton of backtracking and recycled each boss multiple times. (And only had a small handful of bosses each.) DMC3 recycled its bosses less but still had a lot of going back through previous areas, especially in the second half of the game. DMC4 is the most blatant with it being a literal trip back through remixed levels but while it's disappointing I feel like people emphasize that too much over the strong core gameplay.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Also DMC3 had more bosses but DMC4's were more consistently good. Every 4 boss is way better than the electric worm or whale heart fights.

EDIT: I forgot about Nero fighting a window, but at least his grabby gimmick makes that a little interesting.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 18, 2015

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Surprise T Rex posted:

DMC4 was the first of the series I played properly (read: obsessively). Never did finish Heaven and Hell because of how boring it gets without being able to combo anything. (Are difficulty gimmicks spoilers?)

I loved HoH mode. I used it as a sweet victory lap after suffering through DmD mode. You're doing it wrong if you're not using the pistols to speedrun the game at that point.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Well this was a very nice surprise. Welcome back Nightmare, glad you got better.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GuavaMoment posted:

I loved HoH mode. I used it as a sweet victory lap after suffering through DmD mode. You're doing it wrong if you're not using the pistols to speedrun the game at that point.

That's kind of the problem with it honestly. It just devolves into mashing. Gets boring quick.

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!
Hey, AN, are you going to upload your streams of of the special edition to Youtube?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Your masterful runs of the earlier DMC games were some of the first LP'ing I ever watched. Glad you're back :3:

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
I had also used some of your older LP to help me get through this series. The DMC2 run in particular finally helped me get through it on all difficulties. This is a compliment, please take it as such. I actually enjoyed having it finished finally. This one I ran out of time for, so nice to see what I'm missing finally.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Fabulousvillain posted:

Haha, it just shows how different the two techniques are. I find Exceed very natural to use but I'm honestly pretty awful at Royal Guard.

Cradok posted:

Wow, awesome. I loved your other LPs. And I love that every time I think I know everything about DMC4, it turns out I don't. Are you going to be covering the 'side' stuff like the variant difficulties, Bloody Palace and Automatic mode?

I never thought of that! I'll have to give it a try.

Surprise T Rex posted:

I showed some clips of the difficulty gimmicks in Mission 4 so it's fair game to talk about openly. :)

Cradok posted:

I briefly cover Heaven & Hell and Hell & Hell modes in Mission 4 and I think I explained Automatic mode at some point. I've shown a bit of the Bloody Palace but I'm not sure if I'll cover much more of it. I don't have much endurance for playing through it these days.

ImpAtom posted:

I think people tend to over-remember the previous games. DMC1 had a ton of backtracking and recycled each boss multiple times. (And only had a small handful of bosses each.) DMC3 recycled its bosses less but still had a lot of going back through previous areas, especially in the second half of the game. DMC4 is the most blatant with it being a literal trip back through remixed levels but while it's disappointing I feel like people emphasize that too much over the strong core gameplay.

Yeah the DMC series has always had a problem with reused content. I remember really hating some of the later Missions in DMC3. They took the effort to make some of the areas different, but it was still a ton of reused assets with only some new bosses sprinkled between. It's not as bad as DMC4's reuse, but it still drags that game down for me.

ScurvyKip posted:

Hey, AN, are you going to upload your streams of of the special edition to Youtube?

Yes! All streams will be going on youtube.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

So this is what Devil May Cry is like outside of DMC. I only played that so this is an interesting way to see what the others were like.

I like this Dante better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012

Spudd posted:

I like this Dante better.

You, me, and just about everyone that isn't Capcom too.

• Locked thread