Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
You're spoiling us, this is great. :swoon:
e: quoted for new page.

AccountingNightmare posted:

:siren: New video! :siren:

I know you're all keen for Mission 13 but we never finished Nero's LDK missions! This mode really is an absurd amount of fun. Youtube's re-encoding seems to have some trouble around the forest area, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
Thank you. :) I knew I should have checked the post count.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
What did they change for super Dante on the PC version?

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Sindai posted:

What did they change for super Dante on the PC version?

Infinite Royal Guard meter and, more importantly, infinite Pandora meter. :getin:

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Snap, I wonder if that carries over to the Special Edition then.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Zaa Boogie posted:

Snap, I wonder if that carries over to the Special Edition then.

It better, or else I'm keeping the original version installed!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Infinite Royal Guard meter and, more importantly, infinite Pandora meter. :getin:
Oh, does Nero get permanent level 3 exceed? I thought you were just really good at charging it. :downs:

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Sindai posted:

Oh, does Nero get permanent level 3 exceed? I thought you were just really good at charging it. :downs:

He does. Every Exceed charge is automatic with Super Nero. :) Handy for learning some of the tougher timings.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

The second part sounds completely amazing and I can't wait to see it in action.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
I only watched up to Mission 2 of the LDK montage and then stopped because I decided I had to play it with Super characters for myself but I never got past mission 9 on DMD. :saddowns: At least I got motivation to go that far.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It better, or else I'm keeping the original version installed!

It does. They showed off a video of Super Dante and he was just Pandoraing forever.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I really like the design of the Fausts. They're bugs with grim reaper capes and cowboy hats.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013
It's really weird to me that you never Roulette against the cloaks or the pope.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
A while ago, before this thread, I decided to go back to DMC4 to unlock Legendary Dark Knight and have some fun blasting monsters; I ended up quitting right after getting Dante and getting lost in the drat forest and went back and replayed DmC (I know, I know).

So, of course, I immediately reinstalled after I found this thread, and holy gently caress I'm completely out of practise with Dante; I've grown so used to having the Devil Bringer with Nero and the grappling hook thingy with Emo Dante that I just keep stingering enemies away from me and then having to run over to them to actually slash the bastards. Doesn't really help that most of the enemies you fight when you get Dante back are those bloody chimera'd puppets and their flailing keeps interrupting you out of attacks. :argh:

I'll get my mojo back eventually, but boy do I miss having a "get the gently caress over here" button.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Your get over here button is Stinger, or rather, it's going from a Stinger into a Million Stab, and from there you can either go into a launcher or jump/royal guard-cancel into any other combo.

Alternatively there's Trickster Style's Air Trick, but I never liked that since it puts you in the air and have to wait a second before I can start attacking.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

a cartoon duck posted:

Your get over here button is Stinger, or rather, it's going from a Stinger into a Million Stab, and from there you can either go into a launcher or jump/royal guard-cancel into any other combo.

Alternatively there's Trickster Style's Air Trick, but I never liked that since it puts you in the air and have to wait a second before I can start attacking.

Yeah, that's the thing. I keep using Stinger to close distances and end up propelling dudes into the stratosphere; I'm not sure if it's the enemies (blitzes and the chimera'd dudes in the forest) or if I'm that out of practise, but I'd do the Stinger -> launcher (when it didn't push them away) to follow up with the jump Swordmaster combo and sometimes it just wouldn't launch them, it would register the hit but they just stay in the ground.

Ah well, at least I'm out of the bloody forest now, and I have Gilgamesh, now I just have to git gud.

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010
Man, coming back to DMC4, it really reminded me just how loving awful I am with Dante on Son of Sparda mode. I kick everything's rear end with Nero, and I can use the Exceed system real well, but when I try Dante I realize just how out of my depth I am. It seems that to compensate for the absurd amount of moves Dante has, they're all a bit weaker than what Nero can do with Exceed. I think I just can't wrap my head around the amount of stuff he has and when to really use it to its best effectiveness.

Also, does anyone else have a hard time making Lucifer at all useful? I want to believe it's a good weapon but whenever I use it it's just so drat lackluster compared to everything else you can do as Dante. I feel it could be a much faster weapon.

Raruna fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 26, 2015

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Raruna posted:

Man, coming back to DMC4, it really reminded me just how loving awful I am with Dante on Son of Sparda mode. I kick everything's rear end with Nero, and I can use the Exceed system real well, but when I try Dante I realize just how out of my depth I am. It seems that to compensate for the absurd amount of moves Dante has, they're all a bit weaker than what Nero can do with Exceed. I think I just can't wrap my head around the amount of stuff he has and when to really use it to its best effectiveness.

Also, does anyone else have a hard time making Lucifer at all useful? I want to believe it's a good weapon but whenever I use it it's just so drat lackluster compared to everything else you can do as Dante. I feel it could be a much faster weapon.

Most of the high-level stuff I see done with Lucifer involves mixing it into the middle of combos that primarily feature other weapons, or using jump cancels to very very very quickly load enemies up with a shitload of blades before popping 'em. Look up some Dante combo vids on youtube to get an idea of what you can do with Lucifer, though there's lots of fun stuff that's much easier to learn and work into your day to day poo poo than most of the really cool poo poo involving Lucifer.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Level Slide posted:

Speed dating featuring Vergil and Neromom would be something I never knew I wanted in a stylish action game.

You don't have to wait for DMC4SE for that...

Killer Is Dead

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Raruna posted:

I had a lot of luck using it against bosses, but it can be kind of weird.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Raruna posted:

Lucifer is a complementary weapon similar to Nevan in DMC3. By itself it completely sucks and is lackluster just like you said and it's mostly used by players in their combo videos for jump cancel shenanigan where it leads to great setups and helps keeping enemies in the air thanks to the "Lucifer glitch" (not sure if anyone mentioned it earlier or if AN is going to address it at some point, but the tl;dr version is that using Lucifer's launcher called "Ecstasy" has a really weird property in that the rose dante throws will explode and make an enemy bounce after you hit him exactly 16 times, although there's obviously a lot more to it so I'll leave that to AN to explain in the future.)

vvvvvv sorry about that

mkob fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 23, 2015

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
Please use spoiler tags for weapons we haven't acquired yet in the LP. It's not a huge deal, but I'd still like people who haven't seen/heard of the weapons before to be as surprised as possible. :)

mkob posted:

Lucifer is a complementary weapon similar to Nevan in DMC3. By itself it completely sucks and is lackluster just like you said and it's mostly used by players in their combo videos for jump cancel shenanigan where it leads to great setups and helps keeping enemies in the air thanks to the "Lucifer glitch" (not sure if anyone mentioned it earlier or if AN is going to address it at some point, but the tl;dr version is that using Lucifer's launcher called "Ecstasy" has a really weird property in that the rose dante throws will explode and make an enemy bounce after you hit him exactly 16 times, although there's obviously a lot more to it so I'll leave that to AN to explain in the future.)

I hadn't heard of this glitch before! I'll have to research it.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
I'm pretty sure people have asked you a thousand times over about this but... Will you continue on with the DMC4 Special Edition when it's released and do the other character campaigns or will you keep heading on with this one?

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

InfinityComplex posted:

I'm pretty sure people have asked you a thousand times over about this but... Will you continue on with the DMC4 Special Edition when it's released and do the other character campaigns or will you keep heading on with this one?

She answered this in the OP: She won't be touching the Special Edition in the thread itself, but will be posting her streams about it on her Youtube after they're done.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
^ That's right. I don't think LPing the SE content at this time would make much sense as I would have no clue how to best use the new characters and probably couldn't show much cool stuff with them. In addition, I burn out hard on LPing these days so I would rather just enjoy the Special Edition with some casual streaming (with all stream recordings going on Youtube afterwards).

:siren: New video! :siren:

Dante tackles the forest and finds that it's changed a little. It's become even more of a labyrinth and holds a few surprises, some good and some bad.

AccountingNightmare fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 26, 2015

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Dante you're like 40 years old, chill out a bit.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I love the idea that you can play the first half the game as Nero, really lock in his playstyle, then get switched to Dante and potentially suck for a while as you readjust. He's all cocky, easily wipes the floor with Nero and retreats mostly because he's had his fun, and then if you can't get used to his moves while playing as him, get tossed around by Scarecrows and pull out C or B level combos. Dante talking a big game, being all flashy, and in "canon" as you play, being woefully lovely at actually fighting. :allears:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

chaos rhames posted:

Dante you're like 40 years old, chill out a bit.

He's pre-emptively making up for how they portray him in the next game, just loving wait. We have yet to see how few fucks Dante could give about the gravity of this situation yet.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I'm torn. Rocket punches and rocket spur kicks are great, but what are the little fairy wing things on Dante's back?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
This is just a guess based on the stereo feed from your video, but it sounds like you're supposed to navigate the "maze" of purple teleporters by traveling though the ones that Echidna's voice is coming out of.

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010
Man that was sick. I never EVER managed to get a just charge right, I'm so glad you showed it off. Honestly, the depths you go to show off the stuff in this game is inspiring.

ProofsNRefutations
Feb 22, 2011
Gilgamesh is pretty great, the charge mechanic is much more rewarding than poor Beowulf's, which always seemed like they over-corrected for how powerful Ifrit was. The homing kick doesn't home as well though, which can take some getting used to.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's amazing how they managed to balance the game when even when players who don't have any idea what they're doing can beat it - and at the same time you have Dante's ridiculous skill cap balancing weapons with gimmicks and switching styles on the fly. Watching a good Dante player is such a treat...

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Feinne posted:

He's pre-emptively making up for how they portray him in the next game, just loving wait. We have yet to see how few fucks Dante could give about the gravity of this situation yet.

Yeah, now I definitely see that Nero gets a bum rap for being "emo"; Dante is just so far to the opposite extreme of emo that anybody who's even mildly annoyed at life comes off looking angsty in comparison. I hope he keeps outright humiliating the other bosses, I about died laughing when he bounced all the seeds off her face.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

MadDogMike posted:

Yeah, now I definitely see that Nero gets a bum rap for being "emo"; Dante is just so far to the opposite extreme of emo that anybody who's even mildly annoyed at life comes off looking angsty in comparison. I hope he keeps outright humiliating the other bosses, I about died laughing when he bounced all the seeds off her face.
You've seen nothing yet. Dante has one of the best cutscenes in video game history in this one.

edit: Just hits me that no one commented on the music yet. Echidna's theme is completely amazing and I was using the piano (or is it?) bit as my ringtone for quite a while.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:12 on May 26, 2015

Seraphroy
Jun 24, 2010

Jesus shit that Steelix is terrifying.

anilEhilated posted:

edit: Just hits me that no one commented on the music yet. Echidna's theme is completely amazing and I was using the piano (or is it?) bit as my ringtone for quite a while.

If my hearing serves me well, it's better than a piano. It's a harpsichord.

The boss themes in this game are pretty great overall. Echidna's just really stands out in my mind.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

MadDogMike posted:

Nero's a bit emo, but he's a decent character with a good balance between arrogance, insecurity and his relationships with his church and girlfriend. The problem is that Dante keeps running into his scenes, being the most ridiculous badass possible, which makes Nero look like a chump.

The devs have had the problem since 3 where there's no way for Dante to develop as a character, since he's already done it and is invincible. This means you either end up with him as a secondary character to a new affiliated protagonist like Nero, or reimagine him as something stupid.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I don't know, him NOT developing as a character in a situation like this is sort of what you expect, because heading to some fuckhead island and slaughtering demons is just Tuesday for him.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Think if you're ever going to try and find character development, it'd be his interactions with his close allies/family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

anilEhilated posted:

You've seen nothing yet. Dante has one of the best cutscenes in video game history in this one.
Everybody that has played DMC4 knows exactly the one you mean, and oh man it's amazing. :allears:

• Locked thread