Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Ah awesome, glad to see this back! In a DMC mood thanks to news of the DMC4:SE :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Forgot to add some trivia:
Dante's battle theme in this game is a remixed version of the second fight theme from DMC1, Lock and Load. It was also used for Trish's theme in Marvel vs Capcom.

There's a small picture of Lady lurking in the background near Dante's jukebox. I believe it's from DMC3 concept art.

And he also has a poster of Beowulf from the DMC3.

Not in Dante's office, but in Fortuna, there's a Nevan placard advertising the opera house, but I can't find a picture of it ATM.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mulgar posted:

Apparently, DmC was supposed to be very different to what came out and Capcom ended up interfering a lot with the project.
They even went as far as getting Hideaki Itsuno (director of DMC2/3/4) and some of his team involved.

https://archive.is/b9gFp#selection-1555.210-1579.174

IIRC, Capcom rejected Ninja Theroy's initial concepts, based on how similar they were to standard DMC - along with a comment along the lines of, "If we wanted it that way, we'd have done it ourselves" - prompting NT to veer to the edgy extreme for a different interpretation. Before having to bring them to heel on some of the more R-rated deaths and stuff mentioned in that article.

NT Initial style Dante submission (or something like this apparently)

Actual Dante redesign they submitted in all seriousness at Capcom's request.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 20, 2015

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

tlarn posted:

And he brought pizza

The two DMC certainties;
1) Dante being rad.
2) Dante bringing a slice.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

MonotoneMorgan posted:

I always wondered what happened to her after she dealt with the devil of Corporate America.

She became a cyborg working for another crazed corporate devil . :v:

ManlyGrunting posted:

Apparently Capcom cut development time of this game to get it out close to launch (I've heard as much as cutting it from two years of development time to one), and the game does feel like a hodgepodge collaboration of the assets that they could get finished. At least they focused on what mattered and made it super great to play, but I wish Dante had a few more missions and a better learning curve (seriously, you get new stuff for him way too late in the game). Take this with a grain of salt though, obviously Capcom has never confirmed this.

I've heard that the intention was that Dante was going to get his own bosses, although judging from the lack of concept art, it might have been nixed early on.
But yeah, the game definitely feels like them trying to compensate for the either the lack of time, or the attempt to lower production costs (another rumour - rumours, rumours, rumours is DMC4's development!).

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 2, 2015

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Artix posted:

Huh. Did they just mod it to play certain sound clips while he was doing it, or was that some remnant code for when Nero might have been able to do it himself? I figured it would either play Dante's lines or nothing at all.

Pretty amazing thing about DMC4, is that all the cutscenes are in-engine. I don't think there's any prerendered ones. But it means that they can do glorious things like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvY3FyXR0U4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLB5kmu7S5Q

---

Nthing loving that magic suitcase.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Off the top of my head the reboot doesn't have a health-draining level, but there are several levels which are timed.
---

That Lucifer cutscene is great, aside from the really bad audio levelling.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I remember the first time i ever got to the Savior and thinking that it was going to be like the Mundus fight from 1. So much disappointment to see that you get this...weird mess of a boss fight that you got.

Yeah, same. It's such a cool-looking boss, and has some pretty snazzy looking moves (I've never seen it do its roundhouse kick or throw a platform before this LP!), but there's far too much bouncing around, cutscene interruptions, and general faffing around trying to get it downed to damage to it.

Like, Bayonetta's Jubileus is kinda similar, but it works out overall better - but it seems to be a problem in general with doing super-huge bosses in these sorts of games. They deal with it by either making the boss completely static (like Mundus and DmC's poo poo-tastic Mundus fight), or weird poo poo like the Savior.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Augus posted:

Devil may Cry: Devil may Cry ended up being really bad about this and it's one of the reason why I hate that game.

The bosses in that game have pretty terrible design decisions - it's a magical glittering jewel of bad design choices, The most egregious is the non-stop combat-interrupting cutscenes though. The combat flow shouldn't be stopped, just because the devs want to show the player a bosses scowly face for five seconds.

Augus posted:

Bayonetta 2's bosses were great because the directors aknowledged this tendency and went out of their way to avoid it

It's a nice compromise being able to get close to the boss to do regular melee combos, but also having them be these humongous motherfuckers - keeping the player on the same level as them also helps, as is allowing the player to manouver around them freely.

Montegoraon posted:

What they ought to do is make Shin Megami Tensei 3's Demi-fiend a bonus boss, with the special ability that you can only inflict damage on him when your style gauge is S-ranked or above. (A reference to the fact that when Dante appeared in SMT 3 his only move that could damage the Demi-fiend at the peak of his invulnerability was called Showtime, as in the style ranking)

He could probably be quite easily transferred to an action type game - especially considering the skills that could translate into more action-game moves.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Buried alive posted:

My searching skills are failing me, but I am always saddened that the shakesperian dialogue version of that one DmC scene never gets posted. Fornicate thou!:arghfist:

[WUBBETH RESOUNDS]
---

Thanks for the pretty great LP, AccountingNightmare!

Glad you finished DMC4 - it was well worth the wait. :)

• Locked thread