Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
they're good, and fun to watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

They have their moments.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i like the one about ant man

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
The best one is chronicle

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
What's the difference between Superman and God?

Superman is real. :smug:

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!
The best superman movie is Atlas Shrugged.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Ask me about comic books. I am a giant loving nerd who loves comic books.

Death By Yogurt
Apr 3, 2007

i wish there were more of them

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

no op

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Phlairdon posted:

The best superman movie is Atlas Shrugged.

But John Galt is a supervillain given that he :words: for 50 pages.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Counterpoint: Spiderman 2, also the reboot of Spiderman (staring that kid from the lovely mormon space movie), also any recent X-mans movie, also Antman looks ridiculous, and Avengers 2 wasn't all that great, also..

Kumo fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 16, 2015

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Windows 98 posted:

Ask me about comic books. I am a giant loving nerd who loves comic books.

you got ran out of byob for assaulting someone with a shovel

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Kumo posted:

Counterpoint: Spiderman 2, also the reboot of Spiderman (staring that kid from the lovely mormon space movie), also any recent X-mans movie, also Antman looks ridiculous, and Avengers 2 wasn't all that great, also..

nah days of future past was good

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Death By Yogurt posted:

i wish there were more of them

yeah i often think to myself. boy. i'm worried that there won't be a new superhero movie this month.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I keep feeling obligated to watch them all and don't look forward to them, and then find them likable enough. Need more Alien and Predators movies though imo.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Network Pesci posted:

What's the difference between Superman and God?

Superman is real. :smug:

Superman would be way less boring if he was into smiting people for pre-martial sex and planned to end the world.

Kumo posted:

The lesson to take away from that is Sony can't make a superhero movie to save their life, DC can't make a film version that's not Batman to save their company, and Fox is a 50/50 crapshoot between decent movies and visual diarrhea like the new Fantastic Four (and the old one).

The leaked Sony memos where the "hip to the youth expert in Hollywood" is telling them that to really connect with the youth in Spider-Man 2, they need to sync him to dub step, was hilarious.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 16, 2015

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

I really like when the wall of CGI fights the other wall of CGI

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

I also like when Captain America spins and flips 50 times in the air like a danged skateboard

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFjuPbCShBw

wanna see this turned into a movie

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fentry posted:

I really like when the wall of CGI fights the other wall of CGI

The lack of that is in part why the Daredevil Netflix series is better than the movies now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B66feInucFY&spfreload=10

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 16, 2015

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Not only are superhero movies bad, they're fascist.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kumo posted:

Antman looks ridiculous

I kind of turned around on that, if you think of the movie like a theme park ride because I suspect they'll be constantly changing sizes in every fight scene and I can't say that's an effect I've ever seen before. It'll probably make it get noticed.

So basically if you think of it was a Universal Studios ride, it'll probably be solid.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

The lack of that is in part why the Daredevil Netflix series is better than the movies now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B66feInucFY&spfreload=10

The Daredevil Netflix show is quality filmmaking. I don't get why more comic book movies don't have great technique like this with all the money involved. I can't think of a single shot in the two Avengers movies that made me think "Hey, nice camera work"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Not only are superhero movies bad, they're fascist.

Yeah, there's definitely an undertone of this, but it's really more of a byproduct of what superheroes are for-- to present differing archetypes for people to project themselves onto and/or see the world through. These archetypes can be presented compellingly enough to engage mass audiences on an "adult" level, but they're also basic enough in their elements to be recast for toddlers with only some psychological nuance lost in the reduction. You can examine the fascist undertones more fully but honestly it gets joyless quickly and ironically ends up seeming more juvenile than embracing them as broad strokes entertainment.

Egbert Souse posted:

The Daredevil Netflix show is quality filmmaking. I don't get why more comic book movies don't have great technique like this with all the money involved. I can't think of a single shot in the two Avengers movies that made me think "Hey, nice camera work"

Because that's not the core appeal. The core appeal is archetype and character interplay, so that's where Marvel wisely focuses their efforts while DC focuses on more grand sweeping visuals and constant attempts to reinvent their own iconography. Visuals do matter, obviously, but if you look at the overall public reception to Marvel vs. DC movies it's not hard to see which method is more "successful" overall.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 16, 2015

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah, there's definitely an undertone of this, but it's really more of a byproduct of what superheroes are for-- to present differing archetypes for people to project themselves onto and/or see the world through. These archetypes can be presented compellingly enough to engage mass audiences on an "adult" level, but they're also basic enough in their elements to be recast for toddlers with only some psychological nuance lost in the reduction. You can examine the fascist undertones more fully but honestly it gets joyless quickly and ironically ends up seeming more juvenile than embracing them as broad strokes entertainment.

Yeah but since they're bad movies anyways nothing of value can be gained either v:shobon:v

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Yeah but since they're bad movies anyways nothing of value can be gained either v:shobon:v

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpYEJx7PkWE

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
for one to defęcate on, op.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

he is officially Wonder Woman's cousin or something now

so maybe

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

lady liberty looks angry about this

superhero movies are Good because they inspire us to push past our limitations to become the heroic city-destroying psychopaths we all truly wish we were

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Pumroy posted:

lady liberty looks angry about this

superhero movies are Good because they inspire us to push past our limitations to become the heroic city-destroying psychopaths we all truly wish we were

Say what you will about all of it, but at the very least the Marvel produced characters actually seem to try to avoid killing civilians and even try to save them.

Meanwhile Superman chucks people through crowded office buildings until they collapse. The day is saved.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Blazing Ownager posted:

Meanwhile Superman chucks people through crowded office buildings until they collapse. The day is saved.

truth justice and the american way :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickPlowswell
Sep 14, 2014

The exoplanet has failed :qq:

• Locked thread