Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Tzen posted:

To move things along, I'll nominate the 1986 New York Giants, balanced?

I'd say Run Heavy is probably a better description of the offense they ran most of the time, Phil Simms performance in the Super Bowl not withstanding...

And to throw in a pair of suggestions for the teams that are still needed, I'd say the 1998 Jets, Balanced, and the 1988 Bengals, but I'm not sure which offensive philosophy would best suit that no huddle system they ran. Technically it was based on the West Coast (Which is what PFR says they ran), but they also ran the ball a fuckton, so Run Heavy may better imitate the plays the called. Maybe just have them play each other with the different philosophies and throw the winner in, unless a Bengals fan wants to chime in?

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Since you only need two more teams, I'll just throw these in for the hell of it: 1995 Lions, Pass Heavy, and 1990 Eagles, Balanced.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Cruel and Unusual posted:

2014 Lions could be interesting, considering that Megatron was hobbled and the simulation presumably won't do that.

Actually, I think it does take into account statistics from the season in question as some indicator of performance. For example, I would have suggested the 1991 Eagles, which had a much better defense than 1990, if it were possible to include a normal and healthy Randall Cunningham. However, since he blew out his knee early in the first game, he has no real stats on WhatIfSports, so anytime you simulate a game using him as the starter for that team, he'll basically last no more than 10-ish passes (And seemingly no runs) and whomever you set as the backup comes in, even if you set him for all three spots on the depth chart. So I went with the 1990 Eagles, cause you may get a chance of QB Eagles showing up. :thurman: What that means for the 2014 Lions though is that Johnson may be more erratic than if you picked a different team with him.

However, you are the Lions fan, so I'll defer the choice to you.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

old dog child posted:

So if a player misses a year in real life, it doesn't extrapolate from past/future seasons? I've never messed with What If Sports, so I'm not totally sure how it works.

That's what I gathered from fooling around with it using those 1991 Eagles. I did it a dozen times, using different offensive approaches, and Cunningham was at best had around 10 pass attempts, often completing maybe a third of them, and almost never had any rushing attempts at all. As a reminder, his stats for that season were 1 completion on 4 attempts for 19 yards with no rushing attempts, since he was hurt so quickly.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Grittybeard posted:

e: We should see if we can game it somehow, who's someone who started off a season super hot and then tore an ACL or something after a game?

Purely for shenanigans, and I was bored, I tried putting the 2011 Packers, with Matt "6 TD" Flynn against the only other example I could think of off hand, the 1970 Bears with Bobby Douglass (Who had 4 TDs on opening day with a broken hand or something and missed the rest of the year). Almost every attempt ended up with them not doing much, and having the QB's who played the majority of the season wind up taking snaps (If not the majority). I then tweaked it so they would be the only QB's on their depth charts, and the backups would still get in at times. One game had Matt Flynn go 9 of 40 with 2 picks. Another 3 for 29. And probably another five or six with single digit completions on several dozen attempts. Douglass never had more than one TD, more games than not with zero, and more still where another QB came in. There was also a 28-21 game where every TD was defensive...

So, if there is a way to game this thing, I'll leave it to someone else to figure out exactly how to do it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
A couple of the box scores aren't up anymore, but I'm pretty sure that in every single game the Colts have had more rushing attempts than passing attempts. Every game seems like 30+ rushing attempts and Manning is barely attempting 25 passes. As cool as this all is, that poo poo doesn't make any sense at all to me...

However, I've been reminded that Craphonso Thorpe is a name that existed, so that makes it worthwhile.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Ehud posted:

hahahaha we can't beat the texans in a simulated game

The best part of that? James Casey had a 71 yard TD run. In real life he has two career carries, one for 11 yards and one for 6.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Athanatos posted:

Colts RBs getting way too many touches. Please delete the Colts run game and restart the sim

Luke Lawton had four carries in that game. He had five in the entire 2007 season (And in his entire career).

In general, WhatIf seems to be way too run heavy, even when the team is set to favor pass or West Coast. I'm still trying to figure out how the hell they determine that. Like, for the Colts that year, Peyton averaged 32 pass attempts per game and only had fewer than 27 twice all season (A blowout of the Ravens and the final game of the year), yet we are up to week 8 and I think he's gone over 30 once.

...Have there even been any 300-yard passing games from anyone? I've been scanning most of the scores as Ross posts them and can't really recall any...

And yes, lol Bears.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

No Safe Word posted:

Jesus I didn't realize the Jags were 14-2 in 1999 and both the losses were to the Titans

And then they lost the AFC Championship game... to the Titans.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Rodney Bradley is finally freed?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
lol first it was the 98 Vikings beating the 98 Falcons, now the Texans finally win a game in Indianapolis...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

swickles posted:

This sim has been pretty bad. Apparently pass heavy means 15 passes a game.

Yeah, the flaw of WhatIf is it doesn't represent pass heavy teams well at all. I didn't keep track during the second half of this, and the box scores only stay up like a week or whatever, but I'm pretty sure both the Colts and Broncos had like only one or two games each over the season where they had over 30 passing attempts in a game, seemingly always with more rushing attempts in each game. In real life, Peyton averaged 32 and 41 attempts per game in those seasons. :shrug:

• Locked thread