Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Munin
Nov 14, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

ToME Part 12: Destroyer of Armies

We're mopping up the sidequests in this update; there's not much content left in the game.

Btw, what does the Social Class meter do (if anything)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

KillHour posted:

Procrastinate? Me? Never.

Part 3: Making friends.

I presume spelunking would be more likely to kill you? If so I'd vote for vermin since I do want you to get a bit of a run going.

anyway, it's amusing to see DF being DF. Frozen water and licking tears indeed.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Jedit posted:

That's not a bad strategy if you're not bothered about getting the Cat Lord's artifact because cats are quite rare, but since the spoiler is also advantageous when trying for an Ultra Ending I don't recommend it. The Cat Lord himself really isn't much of a problem unless you go around mashing every moggy you see, though.

ADOM gets slightly harder if you use a tile set because you can't just remember not to attack lower case fs.

The boss in question is a lower case f as well right? So you could genocide away the problem in question if you just want to do a normal win and made a little mistake?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

No Genocide in ADOM AFAIK.

Oops, shows how I haven't actually played any of those games myself...

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Btw, what kind of stuff can you fill the symbiote slot in ToME? Saw it on the equipment screen on one of the screenshots and am now curious.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

senrath posted:

Really? If you're talking about the pinned thread he doesn't "admit" anything of the sort.

And anyway, I'd say it would be better game design to give the enemy ironcasts a slightly random limited budget of resources per turn rather than letting them play the board. This would mitigate an awful lot of the randomness that people have been highlighting as a issue which cannot be fixed if you let the AI play the matching game to the best of its abilities.

One important thing to bear in mind in games is that all else being equal increased randomness favours the AI since they only have to get a lucky streak, and/or the player unlucky, once to end a run whilst a player has to keep putting in decent numbers every fight.

The other thing to note is that in most Roguelikes there are certain places which almost guarantee you can get specific bits of equipment. The makers of Ironcast could ensure that in the first nine days you get at least one mission which is guaranteed to give you a defensive system and another one which is basically guaranteed to get you a weapon. In Jade's first he did mess up a weapon mission but there didn't seem to have been one in the second run.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Random aside, the robber Hotzenplotz is a reference to a popular German children's book:
http://www.amazon.de/Der-R%C3%A4uber-Hotzenplotz-Otfried-Preu%C3%9Fler/dp/3522105907

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

What's True Strength?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

The Kalevala is great stuff.

The only slight question mark over it is how much editorialising Lönnrot indulged in. Since its publication it in many ways has become the canon version of the Finnish oral traditions which might have led to a lot of local primary material getting eclipsed. There are also question marks over whether/how much he added or edited it to make it into a better flowing and more consistent whole.

Wikipedia has a very nice recording of a small part of the Kalevala, well worth having a quick listen to:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vaka_vanha_Vainamoinen.ogg

I am by no means well versed in Finnish literature so are there any other interesting compilations of Finnish myth, legend and lore? I'd be interested to hear about it (and then read it if some sort of translation is available. :D ).

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Btw, there is a public domain version of an English translation of the Kalevala available on Project Gutenberg if people are interested in reading it:
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/5186

Rappaport posted:

Just read Havukka-ahon ajattelija. Not a joke post!

(Sadly, I don't think it has an English translation :()

Why might I think this is a joke post? But yeah, I all see when I Google the title is a lot of Finnish pages and Finnish only Wikipedia articles. :D

BioMe posted:

I know there's the Estonian national epic, Kalevipoeg.

I don't how much if any of it represents strictly Finnish mythology, but like you say, with the general lack of written records hard to say how well anything does.

Googling it led me to this online version of a book which seems to both include it and other folk tales and looks like it could be full of good stuff:
http://sacred-texts.com/neu/hoe/index.htm

Munin fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 12, 2015

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Well, that was certainly a thing at the end of that video.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Didn't Ulvirich also mention that he has had a positive outcome from the shoot them all option in the past?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Telsa Cola posted:

The chain of mistakes that led to his death in game is very obvious, namely the game telling him don't do this or you will die and him continuing to do so. Also the event/choice system is part of the game mechanics so I would argue it is not remotely out of the blue and outside of the normal mechanics for him to be effected by the choices he made, in this case he died.

Except for the fact that that chain of events which led to his death this time had a significant positive payoff when he tried it previously as he mentioned in the post above yours. So that devalues both clear signposted warnings in the game that something is dumb since it rewards you for ignoring these warnings whilst also being a Russian roulette which will end your run outright with a single pretty bullshit text box.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

If it was just "rocks fall everyone dies" I'd have more sympathy. You'd do it once and then move on. It occasionally giving a significant reward for the same picks is what I think pushes it firmly over the edge into bad design. It means that simply due to luck you can learn all the wrong lessons about the game.

Anyway, still an excellent LP. Thanks for showing off the game. Plenty of cools stuff there. :)

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

Leto the Cleric. Weird. Gets more healing potions and they are a lot better, can't get punished at shrines - but encounters minibosses more frequently. Carries a wand that can freeze a whole lot of enemies but does gently caress all for damage.

Have a go at Duke Leto for more miniboss goodness.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

^^ I'm not too keen on what I've seen of the level generation in this game so far. Let's have a look at the new area as well. What could possibly go wrong? :v:

Mr. Despair posted:

http://tasvideos.org/3080S.html

The death in question, along with a write up on how it happens (the video has a very loud beep in it, be warned)

quote:

• Does not pass Go

I like.

P.S. I also just wanted to thank all the people submitting LPs to this thread again. drat good show.

Munin fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Aug 3, 2015

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Btw, I presume people in this thread are interested in how Roguelikes work. RPS have this excellent article where the creator of Brogue goes through how levels in Brogue are generated and it really shows off the thought and design that went into one of the strongest features of that game:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/28/how-do-roguelikes-generate-levels/

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

It does seem to be a very exploitable game. Well, or a game which rewards the canny use of tricks depending on how you decide to see it.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Mraagvpeine posted:

I forgot to ask, how did your character die? I've repeatedly watched that segment several times, yet I have no clue what happened.

The option of a slo-mo replay after a death would be nice. Death does seem to strike very quickly when it does.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Crime Blimp; Totally Inconspicuous.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I could hear it through my earbuds as well. It is not massively noticeable though since it is also present on the Swindle videos but I only noticed it when checking them out again just now.

I think it's just the fact that this particular game has a very quiet set of sound effects and sound track.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I like the music but I'm still poo poo at the game. :v:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Renowned Explorers does look like a nice game. Plenty of replayability as well it looks like due to the number of ways there are to tackle things. Your focus was on improving your party through money but I presume focusing on research or renown could have gotten you significant buffs that way (though it does look like you got basically everything you needed renown wise).

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

The ultimate thing would be budding off more trolls for infinite supplies...

Thanks for the Sproggiwood LP Floodkiller. It's been interesting to follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Sogol posted:

I am enjoying Dungeons of Chaos more than I expected.

Which one is that again? What's the highlights?

• Locked thread