Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

i drop a bowling ball and golf ball from the top of a tower, what lands first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordoftheT
Feb 2, 2015

Check out this cool dog!
How heavy were the balls you dropped?

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
What color are the balls

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

lordoftheT posted:

How heavy were the balls you dropped?

one was a bowling ball and he other was a golf ball

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
how tall is the tower

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
does the golf ball have little round divots or the hexagonal type?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Jump off at the same time and observe them in the air. Report back to us after!

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
What is the wind reading and direction

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
the bowling balls

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

omg that could hurt somebody

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

my balls, they dropped more than 20 years ago

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
is the tower on a steep hill

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
The same time.

Shoulda done the monte hall problem, op

E: why are manhole covers round?

toxicitysquared
Nov 12, 2007

:jiggled:
Jiggled Again
:jiggled:

Lucky Guy posted:

my balls, they dropped more than 20 years ago

mashallah

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

killmeimmafailure posted:

The same time.

Because man holes are round what a stupid question

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
A direct copy of both balls dropped off the tower appear at the back of the line of balls and takes the place of the first and second balls. The formerly first ball becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the third and fourth both drop off the tower.

Time works the same way.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
is the tower in a zero g environment that could impact my answer

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

The same time.

So the cover can't fall in?

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

resident posted:

Congratulations, you can have an exciting career in waste management

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Are we in a vacuum? Or just an area devoid of air and comedy?

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Which of your balls dropped first?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
5 + 17 =

?

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

resident posted:

this is stupid though, the only reason it won't fall in is because the smallest cover measurement (for a circular cover, the diameter) is larger than the largest hole measurement (for a circular hole, also the diameter), but you can build any shaped cover like that, just might take a little more material for some shapes

the real reason they are round is because the hole is round, and the reason the hole is round is because the tunnel is round, and the reason the tunnel is round is because it's structurally stable under the weight of the ground

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

you irl posted:

this is stupid though, the only reason it won't fall in is because the smallest cover measurement (for a circular cover, the diameter) is larger than the largest hole measurement (for a circular hole, also the diameter), but you can build any shaped cover like that, just might take a little more material for some shapes

the real reason they are round is because the hole is round, and the reason the hole is round is because the tunnel is round, and the reason the tunnel is round is because it's structurally stable under the weight of the ground

Man screw you, holes dont follow your "rules".

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

you irl posted:

No. If it's square you can fit the square in, same for any other shape except circle and equilateral triangle.
Think about a square manhole cover, you can easily drop it through if you stick the side of the lid through the diagonal of the square hole, unless it had crazy-big lips. Say the side of a square is 2 feet... the diagonal would be over 2.8 feet.

Also, your structural integrity argument doesn' work because it refers to tunnels running parallel to the ground, underneath. You don't have to worry about structural integrity when making a small shaft from the street to the tunnel. There's tons of grates on the street that go straight down like a manhole shaft, and those grates are often rectangular

Also I think the golf ball hits first because it will encounter less wind resistance due to it's surface area and dimpling. Obv in a vacuum they'd both his at the same time but w/e

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 17, 2015

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
what if the bowling ball was made out of diamond

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

gary oldmans diary posted:

what if the bowling ball was made out of diamond

It would shatter when it hit the ground because while it may be the hardest material, it isn't elastic

E: Gravity is a constant, wind-resistance it the variable.

Okay, so the first derivative is speed, the second is acceleration, what is the third again? The acceleration of acceleration?

A bullet is shot parallel to the ground and another is dropped at the same height. Which hits the ground first?

killmeimmafailure fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 17, 2015

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
the bowling ball bc its heavier

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

It would shatter when it hit the ground because while it may be the hardest material, it isn't elastic

E: Gravity is a constant, wind-resistance it the variable.

Okay, so the first derivative is speed, the second is acceleration, what is the third again? The acceleration of acceleration?

A bullet is shot parallel to the ground and another is dropped at the same height. Which hits the ground first?

lmao who doesn't know the third derivative jerk

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
galileo already did this

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

Drunk Nerds posted:

No. If it's square you can fit the square in, same for any other shape except circle and equilateral triangle.
Think about a square manhole cover, you can easily drop it through if you stick the side of the lid through the diagonal of the square hole, unless it had crazy-big lips. Say the side of a square is 2 feet... the diagonal would be over 2.8 feet.

right it's just about material in the overhang. a circle can fit through its own diameter obv, so even a circular lid needs an overhanging 'lip'. a circle will require the smallest lip, but it can be done with any shape. penis shaped grates coming to san francisco soon

i didn't think about rectangular sewer grates so im gonna ignore that

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

solaranus posted:

lmao who doesn't know the third derivative jerk

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

krampster2 posted:

omg that could hurt somebody

This is true. You've gotta be more careful.

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
i drop my balls out of my shorts over your mom's open mouth, which hits first, the balls or my cum flying towards your dad, who's handcuffed to a chair watching from across the room?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

you irl posted:

i drop my balls out of my shorts over your mom's open mouth, which hits first, the balls or my cum flying towards your dad, who's handcuffed to a chair watching from across the room?

:iamafag:

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Who cares

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

this is the last unsolved problem of mathematics

if we could figure this out then we'd have the capacity to finally build a convincing stage for a mar's landing

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

depends how big your hands are

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Drunk Nerds posted:

Also, your structural integrity argument doesn' work because it refers to tunnels running parallel to the ground, underneath. You don't have to worry about structural integrity when making a small shaft from the street to the tunnel. There's tons of grates on the street that go straight down like a manhole shaft, and those grates are often rectangular

Also I think the golf ball hits first because it will encounter less wind resistance due to it's surface area and dimpling. Obv in a vacuum they'd both his at the same time but w/e

two other advantages of them being round are they can be moved by one person, and they don't have any corners that could protrude and puncture car tires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009

you irl posted:

You need Jesus

• Locked thread