Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Get a Patamon going so you can make Gallantmon Crimson Mode.

It amuses me that both of the strongest finishers require DNAing with Tokomon megas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

dis astranagant posted:

Get a Patamon going so you can make Gallantmon Crimson Mode.

It amuses me that both of the strongest finishers require DNAing with Tokomon megas.

Oh, you have to DNA digivolve to get him? I thought he just evolved from Gallantmon. I'll get a second Angemon later.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Update Twelve: Saving the Digital World One Quest At A Time

So have an early update! I'm on a roll and we're getting into the meat of the game now, this update is mostly just quests but we have to do quests to get dudes to grind more!

First we start off with a Union Quest. I wonder why Raigo's the one requesting it this time.

As soon as we enter this place we get accosted by this guy again. It's weird that he's all warning us about work, when we came here specifically about work.

I wonder where Julia went. Weird. Raigo seems kind of distracted, too.

Sora is the only competent tamer. Telling her everything is probably the best idea.

You know, until now I didn't realize Zanbamon was his partner.

So our boss has gone missing. Well, I'm sure she's not off being menaced by Raremon at least.

We're investigating Thriller Ruins for no real reason, to be honest. "The Server is still unstable" is the reason we're given.

So we start here this time around, which means the quest is in this area.

A bunch of new encounters in this area now. I like Mummymon's design, it's weird but I like it enough. Apparently its gun is named "Obelisk" which is one of the dark-type exclusive weapons in this game.

So since we can't go the direct route, we have to go into the dark portal.

These guys are wild now too.

Just FYI all encounters are ridiculously trivialized now since two of our digimon have really good attacks that hit every space.

These guys show up too, I only saw them in the little in-between area though.

So we get to this spot and a cutscene takes over, Sora looks around confused for a moment.

Suddenly she's surrounded by rookie digimon we've been slaughtering since like the second or third update! What a threat!

:unsmigghh:

Then a samurai dragon teleports in. What a suspicious fellow.

"skilled" yes. The animation was too fast for me to catch but Sora shakes her head in denial. I kind of hate this bit of the quest.

He buys it and just goes on assuming we're not the person who was kicking Kowloon's rear end.

Oh, look who it is!

Ahaha he thinks he could beat me in a fight.

Realistically speaking, I could totally take all three of them right now.

:argh: You gave it freely!

He's a bit slow.

I'm going to take this moment to mention a game. Steambot chronicles. It had an evil organization and you had an opportunity to join it and rise through the ranks. I like that game.

We're really not.

Even he knows it. If only taking on all three was an actual option.

I had actually planned to fight all three of them at the end of the update, but the game bugs out if you fight multiple big bosses in one go, every time I tried after killing one the others became immortal.

And so we fight this guy alone while Koh handles the chumps.

He doesn't even get one attack off.

If it makes him feel any better, he didn't lose to a kid. He lost to giant dragons of varying world ending powers.

:toot:

They were spyro enemies all along apparently.

What follows is a needlessly long dialogue exchange. Those fruit gushers are D-words. Koh takes them to fix Sunshine City and then realizes that obviously Sora isn't an evil monster. Weird poo poo's going down. So lets work together.

Also, Glare is apparently a chick.

Then we exchange emails so we can be BFFs and save the digital world.

Of course she wasn't. I hate you Raigo.

Raigo is still mega suspicious of Light Fang and doesn't know where Julia is. Regarding Kowloon they're just like "oh, well we'll just keep an eye on them." Apparently everyone's just completely forgotten about Grimmon.

We have some farm digivolutions. Andromon has a cool personality so he can unlock a farm quest for us. The unusually named MegaSeadramon brings us one step closer to a thing I need MetalSeadramon for.

Next is a quest about a haunted house. Take a guess where we have to go for it.

Digital haunted houses, fascinating. Downloading Castlevania.exe.

So the goal of this quest is to go beat up a myotismon until he agrees to play a sterotype role he doesn't want to. Great, first that penguinmon incident, now this. I think word got around after we helped tentomon that one time...

That barrier is down so it's a short walk at least.

Devimon seems like he's kind of an rear end in a top hat.

So we beat him until he agrees to do what we want. I've always been fond of Myotismon for some reason.

We have to go find his big bro first and beat him up too.

He's kind of unhappy about this.

VenomMyotismon is another of my favorite designs. My favorite of the myotismon line at that.

Then Death learns this. It's literally a better version of his signature move in every way.

So he agrees to play a vampire as well.

Or a frankenstein.

VenomMyotismon is pretty huge. He practically is the house.

We get Mummymon's gun as a reward for this.

And now we do a quest for our Leomon.

So does half of the Digital World. :sigh:

"go ask this girl on a date for me"

But first, these guys show up now.

I kind of hate the amazon now.

:shrug:

And then we set her on fire. She also appears to be wearing an agumon face on her head.

It's amazing how many of these quests wouldn't happen if only these NPCs would listen.

:geno: I kind of hate this quest.

If I had to guess I'd say that all the later tiers of weapons are weapons from actual digimon instead of just generic swords and stuff. This one most likely being Ogremon's club. Kind of a neat thing.

Both of these are farm quests.

He's hurt and wants us to take his place in a dig.

Been a while since we were here!

Sure-are!

They found a box and can't open it. So it's up to us to find a key. Of course ancient box found in an ancient mine, surely the key isn't just laying around.

So lets beat this guy up for no reason. Literally, zero reason to even talk to him besides "because you have to, to progress the quest"

He goes down in one hit because this is a sort of old quest.

This quest is dumb.

It was just sitting in a box. Why.

So what if the box was trapped or something and just exploded or expelled poison?

:geno: digimon have fossils?

So that's another quest down.

I forgot the money this time! but given how mediocre the other rewards are, it was probably nothing notable.

Now for Mamemon's quest. This one is kind of annoying too. We're hitting the point where quests start to get not so fun.

Before we go do that though, these two show up randomly in the mines now.

He's lost his memory, we've got to fix it.

Literally next to him.

This isn't the end of the quest, however.

So now we have to find another KnightChessmon.

Once again, the next room over.

He goes down super fast.

Why does this guy have the other guy's memory?

And then the translation shits its self. I think the localization team enjoyed this quest as much as I have.

If it wasn't obvious, we were supposed to be giving him the memory chip. Which he did and got his memory back.

We're pretty rich now.

Now lets see about some tasty water.

What is tasty water anyway?

It's from Loop Swamp though. Why would you drink Loop Swamp water.

I don't know if this quest unlocks any new dudes or not. No new NPCs or fights or anything in it.

Just pointless wandering around Loop Swamp.

I hate loop swamp.

You know, I used to just mix random crap together when I was a kid, playing in the yard.

I was never dumb enough to drink it.

Digimon, however, are very special.

I guess they're all probably bugs. I've seen insects live in some pretty grody places.

Gathering at Loop Swamp is something I wouldn't wish upon anyone.

And with that, this update comes to a close. I swear the next one will be more interesting. These mid-story quests are kind of weird and dull.

As ever, thank you all for reason!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gaioumon is my favorite of all the dumb WarGreymon replacements they keep coming up with.

Nuebot posted:

Oh, you have to DNA digivolve to get him? I thought he just evolved from Gallantmon. I'll get a second Angemon later.

Yeah, needs Seraphimon.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 27, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I wish Megidramon got more love. I'm not a huge fan of Gallantmon. Shame ChaosGallantmon never got an official enhanced form like Crimson Mode.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Instead ChaosGallantmon just keeps getting hinted at being nothing but Megidramon in disguse.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Just to clarify, all of the Xmon Y Mode digimon besides Imperialdramon Fighter Mode are on their own separate little trees with just a single guy on it. You can only obtain them or degenerate from then via DNA.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I like Megidramon purely for his debut, his debut is not just going Mega, it's going Mega so hard that he almost broke reality. Just this absolute vicious beast of a digimon who cannot exist because if he does everything and everyone is going to die.

I like Dukemon over all though, but I prefer his Medieval design... and my internet is being shonky again, so if someone could grab that picture for me.

I finally got to Access Glacier, never been this far in the game before...

This loving dungeon! What sadistic gently caress designed this place?! And to make matters worse, it connects to Macro Sea! So it connects to the other mess of a maze dungeon in this game! Yes, Loop Swamps got all the teleporters, but I prefer a teleport maze to an actual maze!

Onmi fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 27, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I think I've passed you. But I stopped to grind.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Onmi posted:

I like Megidramon purely for his debut, his debut is not just going Mega, it's going Mega so hard that he almost broke reality. Just this absolute vicious beast of a digimon who cannot exist because if he does everything and everyone is going to die.

I like Dukemon over all though, but I prefer his Medieval design... and my internet is being shonky again, so if someone could grab that picture for me.

Megidramon made Skullgreymon seem like a plush toy in his debut. He was so vicious, so deeply wrong that the world was dying from his mere existence. As if mindless hatred itself was given form. Seeing goofy Guilmon become that drooling monstrosity was a huge shock. It also made Gallantmon seem more like the miracle when he showed up and gives the best fight of the franchise.

Those episodes alone were enough to make Tamers my favorite of the Digimon series. Though the giant robot rabbit defeating a Phoenix with kung-fu and smiley missiles shortly after didn't hurt, either.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 08:26 on May 27, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Next update is going to be delayed a little tiny bit, so here have a reason why;

:shepface:

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.

Nuebot posted:

Next update is going to be delayed a little tiny bit, so here have a reason why;

I... I think you grinded too much.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Doobeedoo posted:

I... I think you grinded too much.

It was accidental, actually. I wanted to make a vikemon as per the few requests I've gotten. Everyone else just keeps getting stronger.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I to have done a bit of grinding

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Depends, is that Beelzemon in Blast Mode?
If not you're not far enough.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Depends, is that Beelzemon in Blast Mode?
If not you're not far enough.

Blast mode kinda sucks, though. His special is garbage while normal Beelzemon's is pretty good.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

Blast mode kinda sucks, though. His special is garbage while normal Beelzemon's is pretty good.

After a while specials become kind of useless though, when you have field-wide attacks that do more damage.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nuebot posted:

After a while specials become kind of useless though, when you have field-wide attacks that do more damage.

Depends on the special. Beelzemon's is one of the better 2 hit ones, Blast Mode's is a kinda crappy fixed 3 middle zone one. Far from the best but we'll be seeing that one soon enough.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Update Thirteen: So Many Words

So this update started the same as any other but we've hit the point in the plot where it all just dissolves into text.

So last time Julia was missing, we stomped the boss of Kowloon and made friends with Koh. This time we're going to "Search the Digiarea"

People in the digital world seem to flip-flop back and forth between being demi-gods capable of anything, and being just as useless in the real world depending on what the plot needs.

So Julia is still missing and it's impossible to track data in the digital world apparently. Where's googlemon when you need it?

Raigo is worried about Julia's safety since she's been gone for an unknown amount of time. Zanbamon's advice on the whole situation seems to suggest we'll find a corpse somewhere soon and have to call in CSI.

Then Sora shows up to save the day!

I don't ever talk to Phascomon either. It's kind of creepy and all it offers are farm tutorials.

There are some obvious flaws with Raigo's plan. There's at least like four areas that haven't been restored yet and we have no way into Sunshine CITY. What if Julia is just off chilling with Chief Glare?

What he means is, all the other "Tamer's" will do nothing and we'll fight the bad guys.

Walking out of the union room leads us straight into this trap. More talking!

This is probably the worst part of the game.

:downswords:

Good, I hope he's dead.

And this is finally the part where everyone finds out their leader is missing. This really doesn't seem like something you should keep a secret. Apparently Raigo and Sora were pretty much the only ones who knew.

So they decide to have this super important conversation in secret with a group of friends. Most of whom aren't actually friends but rather Sora had like one conversation with them.

:suicide:

After a long and pointless talk about how that purple haired guy wants to search Julia's home like a creep, but doesn't have the keys, the bald wonder tosses up this suggestion.

We've kicked his rear end twice.

I like this, because it applies to like 90% of the dialogue in this quest.

There's a really long discussion about how no one trusts him for some inexplicable reason after this. Like, stupidly long even though it's literally the only idea anyone's had besides rooting through Julia's trash.

And now we get some hot moral choice action. I went with the top one because Koh and Sora are clearly BFFs, we don't have anyone else's email in our valuables.

I don't know if the choice actually affects anything. I doubt it.

People in this game are amazed digital communications are fast, for some reason. It's almost like they've never heard of email or something.

Wait, he's only a silver tamer? Why do we listen to him then.

:argh:

Everyone gets mad at Newton for telling Koh this. Even though we called him to ask him for help. I hate the NPCs in this game.

Seriously.

Koh's been living on the hard digi-streets apparently.

:ghost:

It's weird that Newton is suddenly the smartest one in the room.

Honestly this is kind of meaningless since we have no clue what they did at Limit Valley.

Koh's apparently never taken on a Union Quest that's why he hasn't been brainwashed. I guess this means he just goes off and spends all his time grinding.

The fact that NightCrow can't access this location only raises more questions later on.

This is how we get in. See? BFFs.

We don't have control back yet, but I might as well throw the description in there now.

Anything else said afterwards is pointless. Everyone goes off to explore other digiareas so whatever, gently caress 'em. This is access glacier. It's probably my third or fourth least favorite area in this game.

It's white. Just a lot of white paths.

Lots of enemies here, too. Norio Wakamoto and a dog first of all.

This place has a ton of treasure boxes, too. Reptiledramon is completely forgettable.

At least it doesn't have ice physics.

Wooly mammoths, hammer-turtles and recolors!

I'm pretty sure I'm going the wrong way. There's no real landmarks or anything here so it's hard to tell if you're going the right or wrong way.

We found the bigfoot!

Yup. Wrong way. Cyberdramon is a pretty cool design. Meanwhile recolors are still recolors.

More eggs we'll probably never use and snowmen.

A pipe! This time I went the right way, and years of playing videogames has taught me what to do with pipes.

:stonk: Oh no, the cheep cheeps have finally come! Anyway this is the Macro Sea. It and Access Glacier are directly connected, it's kind of weird.

As you might expect, you fight aquatic themed enemies here.

Crazy amount of treasure here, too.

This is where we have to go. Also there's dolphins and divermon here. Divermon is important, we need one.

Here's the key, there's the gate.

I got everything in the sea to 100% scan data. That big machine is the exit.

This raises all sorts of questions though. We were just down walking on the bottom of the ocean. Sora must be soaking wet by now. Then she emerges in the arctic. How is she not frozen.

Oh right, Koh's yelling at Grimmon who's apparently got everyone under the sway of his balls.

It's kind of easy to forget Grimmon even exists.

I still like him, though.

Then he hits Koh with his balls.

Oh no! Koh's got the ball-head! I have no clue what the rest of what Grimmon is talking about though. It might have been better if the game's plot was about this stuff instead of just taking a right turn into Kowloon territory. But whatever.

It'd probably be an even more laughable fight this time.

He uses the ball attack again and Sora's flat on her rear end.

:confused:

What would he even re-write it to? What could grimmon even want. He's not very well developed.

Sora's fine now, by the way. Who knows why.

He's pretty confused about it too.

Well, thanks for telling us your weakness.

Then he teleports away.

Koh's fine too. But he's worried about the others since they've been sitting here, virus balls all up in their faces for who knows how long.

Well they're not dead.

Oh no, he's a zombie! Anyway we have to fight our old pal CAG.

He's actually pretty solid.

But he eventually succumbs to nukes.

"what am I?" is a question I imagine Digimon would ask themselves every day. With all that digivolving, it must get disorienting after a while.

Last time I had a virus I, too, tried to murder my friends and co-workers.

She's just been sitting there in the snow all this time. She's probably dead.

Nope, she's fine!

A slightly stranger question for a person to ask.

:words:

So to sum up a lot of text boxes: Julia got a weird email, followed its instructions without telling anyone and got possessed by a virus. Chaos Gallantmon uses McAfee or something and his virus scan failed to protect him from the virus and he too got possessed. So now they're finally recognizing Grimmon as an actual threat and Ponch and his friends are being taken back and experimented on since they're still all virus infected.

Now we get control back.

Megadramon show up here for some reason. So I grind up all of access glacier to 100%.

What a shame. Speaking of shames: Hope you're ready for more plot and words.

So that's how they saved them I guess. Also we can access N area because of it.

:bravo:

Koh's digimon suck anyway.

I really don't know what else to say. It's all just exposition.

I picked the top option. :shrug:

With thanks and congratulations all around, Koh eventually leaves to go talk to Phascomon and Julia talks to us about more stuff.

:suicide:

This is why I don't play that many JRPGs anymore, in all honesty. Not because there's a lot of text, but because a lot of them just tend to dump the story on you in chunks like this and it's kind of miserable.

Finally!

I can't even complain, I'm just glad that poo poo's over.

so lets go to the N Area.

And here's the third part of that joke contest.

:geno:

Yes. Lets just leave that squid behind us.

N Area is a mini-glacier.

More Farm Quest clues.

I did this one already.

We can find these guys in the wild, later. I think.

He wants to digivolve just because of the coat. We did this one too. This is where the update technically ends, because that was a long quest and I'm not going to do anymore side quests. On the other hand...

Vikemon Grind 2015

Before our grind begins we get some new dudes on the team from the farm. Farm EXP was too slow and people wanted to see a vikemon.

Now, I needed a lot of specific species type EXP. In the process of using the encounter modifier codes to set up more controlled encounters I found this. Just for novelty's sake I'm including it here, it's a greyscale version of the final boss from Digimon World DS. If I remember correctly it dropped Machine EXP, which I needed at the time. If anyone knows what that character on its chest says feel free to let me know.

Dolphmon is the first to evolve.

This is basically all this is going to be, just images of digivolutions to track what forms they've taken. I've decided that if Vikemon is going to be one of our end game digimon then he's going to have to be strong. So I start working Angemon up to his megas. Divermon hits his mega for the same reason. agumon and the others, who are the ones killing the EXP fodder, just keep getting stronger all the while.

I put Ankylomon down the Dorumon line because it was the easiest mega he had. Meanwhile Angemon has two megas right there, all it needs is holy exp which is relatively easy to get considering by this point I was farming several boss Susanoomon which dropped 10k exp each.

The reason for this is that Megas gain good skills, and degenerating from mega to ultimate gets you 5 Aptitude. I don't think I ever mentioned how it works before, but every digimon has a base aptitude. when you digivolve if your digimon's aptitude is lower than that base it automatically assumes that same number. If it's higher, then nothing happens. After that, degenerating is the only way to increase aptitude.

We get our own Divermon here now, but he's not strong enough yet so he's going to have to degenerate a bit. Meanwhile Steakums starts going up the Gabumon line.

89 is the aptitude I'm going to be using for the digivolving of our Vikemon. So the other two will have to reach that.

Agumon goes up the greymon line, Death starts heading towards his final goal.

Look at all those 9's. Also Death finally hits his original starting point, and look how much better he is! Steakums is actually really good like this, but I'm sure we could do better. The max Aptitude, and therefore the level cap, is 99 by the way.

We finally get this. I swapped out Angemon for Seadramon after he hit level 89.

Metal Seadramon means we can get this.

After Seadramon evolved I went back and got A Ghost.

I swapped out Divermon for Leomon once he hit 89.

Once Rabies hit 89 I went back to the farm. It's time.

Honestly they both had good techs, Angemon's might have been slightly better. But Rabies had better stats.

A brief grind to level up Rabies and..

We finally got ourselves a viking walrus! Then I stick him in the Digibank because I figure, if I'm going overkill and getting something that good I might as well go all the way.

So I replace him with a bear.

A Bear digivolves a bunch and doesn't learn anything good while A Ghost evolves into Kimeramon. If it wasn't apparent by now, I favor digimon that are visually made out of other digimon.

Someone got replaced with our Goldramon at some point. I can't remember who. Probably Kimeramon or Machinedramon.

He evolves pretty fast and is really good. But this still isn't his final goal. He just learns a ton of awesome techs.

With that day's grinding over, we come back here.

Probably my favorite digimon. That's why I did this.

:shrug: I think someone might have said they wanted to see him? He's cool at any rate.

A bit lackluster compared to the others, but I'll be using him for something else.

Someone requested his name be this.

:shepicide:

This is probably the worst update. I don't blame you for not reading

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Jesus Christ, those numbers.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Yeah I didn't even grind the guys up, I just got them to level 1 mega and then stuck them on the farm.

And I have these two in the bank

EDIT: All fixed

I still don't know what to do with the bank mons, or really a lot of the mons in my farm, or who to convert next since I have 37/40 (apparently it goes up to 65 at some point)

Onmi fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 28, 2015

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
The gaining of Viking Walrus has satisfied me, but holy poo poo, that had to be painful.

Also Milleniummon is rad as hell

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

GeneX posted:

The gaining of Viking Walrus has satisfied me, but holy poo poo, that had to be painful.

Also Milleniummon is rad as hell

Not as painful as all the text earlier was. There's probably going to be one more grinding session before we beat the game for crimson mode and our final two party members.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
Holy gently caress, son, look at all those 9's.

And hell yeah, Omnimon, probably one of my favorite Digimon right there.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

MissileWaster posted:

Holy gently caress, son, look at all those 9's.

And hell yeah, Omnimon, probably one of my favorite Digimon right there.

Omnimon is pretty cool, a good few other digimon have tried the same sort of thing. Imperialdramon, Susanoomon and even Chaosmon but none of them, in my opinion at least, manage the same sort of presence Omnimon has. I know there's a black recolor of Omnimon too, I could have sworn he was in one of the games but I'm probably wrong. :shrug:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

He's in Cyber Sleuth and some MMOs.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I really want a Digimon game that just has a big ol faction war between the Seven Demons, the Olympians, the Royal Knights, basically every big Digimon Organization, that's true to digimon lore. Because Digimon Lore is loving crazy.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Digi-entelecheia = digivolution energy. Yggdrasil is the ruler of the digiworld in several continuities, and seems to be one of their go-to bad guys as well (but it's largely irrelevant here).
That's all I can really tell you about them.

Basically though, no one in CITY expected a serious "destroy the digiworld" plot to happen. The Tamer King had won peace in our time back in World DS, digimon and humans were living in peace and had set up some serious infrastructure... They let idiots like Ponch into the digiworld because the leaders figured they wouldn't be facing real danger.

And it is explained what Grimmon wants to do with the Chrono Virus and Chrono Destroyer attack, but not that well, I admit.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Onmi posted:

I really want a Digimon game that just has a big ol faction war between the Seven Demons, the Olympians, the Royal Knights, basically every big Digimon Organization, that's true to digimon lore. Because Digimon Lore is loving crazy.

That would be pretty cool. The digimon lore is interesting, but also loving weird yes. Like all this X-antibody stuff that as far as I know isn't really explained anywhere.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Nuebot posted:

That would be pretty cool. The digimon lore is interesting, but also loving weird yes. Like all this X-antibody stuff that as far as I know isn't really explained anywhere.

Yeah most of that exists in X-Evolution movie and some associated manga. And Brave Tamer establishes that everything is a mutliverse that spawn from when the worlds first computer The Atanasoff–Berry computer (ABC), created network with ENIAC and in recent years ENIAC has basically been called Yggdrasil because lets dress up our real world computing nerd stuff with Norse Myth.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

lol the ABC. That thing's a glorified adding machine that can't even do its one function without human intervention at every stage.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

lol the ABC. That thing's a glorified adding machine that can't even do its one function without human intervention at every stage.

Digimon Tamers Brave Tamer

As Ryo awakens in an unknown Digital World, amnesiac, he finds Monodramon and is introduced to ENIAC, the first computer and system administrator of the digital world. At first, ENIAC just kindly asks for Ryo's help to deal with Millenniummon, but it is soon evident that it knows quite a bit of Ryo's history, as well as being aware of Millenniummon's plans. That being said, he is portrayed as a supportive and benevolent ruler, although not in quite the extent of Norn, as well as an effective strategist and coordinator. He is shown to possess gates that permit travel between different universes, but only uses them to fight Millenniummon's offensive. Ultimately, he is ambushed and deactivated by the VR Digimon. Thus the true first digital computer, the ABC, was found and it revealed that it operated as a sort of shadow system to assist ENIAC, and that neither had created the digital world, but simply reshaped it. However, because it was significantly less powerful, it was unable to resist Millenniummon's attacks for long, and with its leftover energy sent Ryo through time to fight Millenniummon once and for all. In the end, ENIAC asks Ryo to which world he wanted to return to, and complied with his wishes to go to the Tamers' world, presumably arranging for his parents to join him there.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Update Fourteen: Plotless

Last time we had a bunch of words and a grind. This time, lets just chill and do some side quests.

This is our first order of business, to find an "armor knuckle." Not the guys from Zelda, those are iron knuckles.

GrapLeomon beat up a bunch of dudes and his brass knuckles got stuck in some shmuck's shnoz. We have to get it back because he would presumably be shot on sight if he showed his face there again.

But first we get these guys to digivolve them for later questing.

Now lets go see what this is all about.

The Mummymon mafia is displeased. Kind of makes me sad that Astamon isn't in this game.

These guys aren't hard. They're random encounters.

So this sets the pace for this quest. We got to beat these guys until one spits out the goods.

It's a pretty sad repeat of the first go.

He does tell us our goal after we beat him, however. Boltmon.

Number three turns into a crybaby after our giant knight cuts him in half.

Yeah, it was pretty hilarious the way Omnimon sliced those Mummymon to bits. This is Boltmon by the way.

He makes us a deal we couldn't possibly refuse.

Boltmon is a Frankenstein. He also gets murdered like anything else does when faced with a max-stat digimon. I always forget Boltmon is a mega, just for the record. I always think he's just an ultimate.

So after we beat his head in, he decides we're an okay lady and hands us a the knuckle completely willingly.

You know, calling it a brass knuckle was a complete asspull at the beginning of the update. Now that I'm actually reading the description I'm surprised I was spot-on.

The Power of Friendship(tm)

How do you even drop brass knuckles anyway.

Somehow I can't help but mentally apply quotes to the word apologize, given that we just gave him a weapon.

The...gamma? rings are actually kind of good. I don't know if equipment actually boosts you invisibly past the 999 stat cap or anything, but they add +30 to the given stat.

We have to get a group of rookie digimon and make them delete each other until only one remains. :downs:

So are a few people who read this LP!

Okay, so really we have to go beat a bunch of digimon to death to appease Vikemon.

Obviously this takes place in Access Glacier. And yes we will have to go through the Macro Sea at some point.

Beat three Zudomon, get three rocks. Get three rocks, beat Vikemon. Beat Vikemon, get reward.

That's one.

And his rock. They all have similar descriptions.

It's like kicking a group of exceptionally stupid chihuahua.

That's all three. No prizes for guessing where Vikemon buggered off to.

"amazing"

Ours is better.

I wonder how much our team would be worth, anyway. In exp that is.

Back at the CITY everyone's happy. We beat a big fluffy walrus viking and things couldn't be better.

I somehow missed the money. The Damage Ring here is a confusing one. It's unclear based on its description whether it increases damage you do or you take. I assume it increases the damage you do because the other option would be stupid.

So we get this guy for a farm quest.

Then pay a visit to Thriller Ruins just to point out that Boltmon spawn here now as random encounters.

And now, since those were our only available quests we're going to evolve our remaining farm quest guys because farm exp is super slow.

KingChessmon won't give us our quest until post-game. After these guys and any others on our farm there's one more we don't have yet.

So lets start with this one. Another duel is happening.

So we have to go beat up two dudes and make them stop fighting.

There are wild vikemon now.

Much like me, this guy is lost. There's no reason I got shots of both screens here, I just forgot.

Not only is he lost, but then he lost. I didn't grab a screenshot of the actual battle because I forgot. Access Glacier makes me forgetful.

This quest is fairly long. It's not actually that bad though.

Also this guy is cripplingly insecure.

He was going to fight a robotic dinosaur.

Truth be told I'm not that huge a fan of Metal Tyrannomon. He's the coolest of the Tyrannomon line, no doubt, but I mean it's a boring design to begin with.

To be fair MameTyrannomon is about the size and shape of a soccerball. I imagine there are a lot of issues that come with that.

For no real reason now we have to go back to CITY and talk to an NPC.

What's really weird about moments like this, is that this game is pretty casual about how there's a lot of different digimon of the same type. What makes this imperialdramon any different from the others?

So now we get to walk back and give this to Mametyrannomon.

And now everyone is friends again! The Power of Friendship!(tm)

Saving the Digital World one friendship at a time.

You know, I have no clue what the dash ring does. I should check that out.

Next is a pretty stupid quest.

We fought her before, we're going to fight her again. She's in the same place.

But first, these guys show up wild in the glacier now. MameTyrannomon is weird looking.

Why would a tamer look strong anyway. It's not like they wrestle digimon into submission.

"come fight me. But wait, first go fight this other guy because I say so."

This is where the topiary is.

Was*

It's lame that this is just a repeat fight, too.

It ends fast.

And this is the last quest of the day.

Speed Rings are good because going faster means going first.

:mrgw:

Why do they just let this one walk wild?

Beep!

:raise:

Keep an eye on that referee.

Our enemy is a mega made out of two megas and two high level in-training digimon.

They're fairly solid and are basically the gateway to the post-game content. We do have two huge advantages though. First being speed, notice the turn order. Look how badly we're lapping these guys in terms of turns.

Second is defense. None of my guys even have defensive gear on. This was one of Imperialdramon's attacks by the way.

They got one attack off.

30k exp is good exp.

:eyepop: We won so hard he turned into the Dawn version referee!

Beep!

:agesilaus:

:woop:

:toot: :slick: :toot:

This is the highest rank in the game until the post-game stuff.

So what's our reward for being the most awesome?

:geno: cash. We have more cash than we'll ever need. We could bribe an entire criminal enterprise with our pocket change.

It's okay, I have my own BAN Leomon, so you can do stuff for me in digi-spirit.

Meanwhile, we have Tamer Points.

The ultimate ring is basically just every Beta stat ring in one. Pretty good, still.

And this is our party as of the end of this update! Now, this is where the update ends but before we go we have a vote! For the upcoming update please vote on whether you'd rather Sora Pay or Fight I'll be showing off both paths but pick which one you'd rather us go down for the purpose of the playthrough.

As Always, Thanks for Reading!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I'm actually 'stuck' there too, the item isn't amazing, but at this point you don't need EXP so... pay.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 28, 2015

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

With how strong you are, I can't see any reason not to fight. Even if I have no idea who you are bribing or beating up.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Blaze Dragon posted:

With how strong you are, I can't see any reason not to fight. Even if I have no idea who you are bribing or beating up.

This is my thinking as well.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Pay. The reward for that outcome is slightly more useful than the exp you'll get from the fight.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Eh, your grinding has alleviated any need for EXP. While violence has served us well, let us try Throwing Money at the Problem for a change.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
You said you could easily bribe the DigiMafia, so prove it and pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
You're not doing anything important with that money anyway.

• Locked thread