Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zahrkon
Apr 2, 2010

tuyop posted:

Don't try to sleep in a hammock unless your body is somehow shaped like a banana or you're a 19th century sailor. There are many reasons that hammocks suck for hiking/camping, but comfort is the biggest one. YMMV but with setup, cost, gear weight, and flexibility in mind, skip it.

You can get by without a sleeping bag so bring a very light blanket and an air mattress instead. Just get a tent with a bathtub bottom, double walls, single pole with clips, and good reviews. This should also weigh around two pounds and cost you a small fortune (300-500 bucks) or it is garbage.

This right here is some loving terrible advice for a jungle. I just got back from 9 days in Chile/Argentina and the guides I had highly recommended a hammock with a mosquito net. You want to be up off the ground in the jungle due to all the nasty things crawling around. Proper camping hammocks like a Warbonnet, Hennesy, or ENO hang at an angle so you lie flat and generally come with an integrated mosquito net that can zip away when you don't need it. You should also pair it with a tarp for rain or as a windbreak and get a robust pair of straps to hang it with. As foot footwear you will want to bring 3 to 5 pairs of socks so you can change them on the regular. Most other recommendations look good so I won't repeat them.

Zahrkon fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread