Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Problem description: I have the HDD out of my old Macbook Pro. I just want to recover the music and photos that were on it. I switched time machine off on it years ago so I don't think I can boot from it on this new macbook.

Attempted fixes: I put the HDD inside a NexStar hard drive case and have ran Disk Utility on it. It verifies then when I click repair it sits there forever doing nothing then just spazzes out and says it can't repair. I also tried transferring all the data onto another hard drive using Disk Utility but this didn't work either,

Recent changes: N/A

--

Operating system: Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.3

System specs: The hard drive I want to recover the data off is what you see in the below pic

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

All I want to do is just pull the music and photos off it. I'm sure there's a way.... help goons? Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Can't you just mount the drive as an external using the case and browse it using the Finder? Is it not mounting when you have it attached using the external housing?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Can't you just mount the drive as an external using the case and browse it using the Finder? Is it not mounting when you have it attached using the external housing?

Nah it doesn't show up as a drive

In Disk Utility the hard drive shows up as solid black text but the partitioned part that holds all the data shows up as greyed out text.

Like disk utility says that everything's fine, like it's readable, journaled etc until I do the repair and then it just fucks out and says it can't be repaired. I'm sure there's a way to get the stuff off it I just don't have the means or knowledge to do it.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 21, 2015

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Were you running File Vault or other encryption on the drive in the old machine?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
No. Nothing like that to my knowledge. Just running it as normal. All the tunes and images I want are just stored in music folder.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

What version of Mac OS X was the old Macbook running? And is the drive's SMART data showing in Disk Utility?

You could try option-booting from it on your current machine, as it is showing as bootable. It's been a while since I worked with Macs in this fashion, and am more used to the old Firewire days in terms of running external drives on an Apple machine.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I tried option-booting and it did nothing. Black screen. Err I don't know what version of OSX the last one was I think it may have been Lion or Snow Leopard or whatever that was. I broke the computer in January and I think the last time I updated the software would have been maybe November or perhaps even like October.

I'm not sure what SMART data is but here is what it says when I click "Info"

Name : disk4s2
Type : Partition

Disk Identifier : disk4s2
Mount Point : Not mounted
File System : Mac OS Extended
Connection Bus : USB
Device Tree : IODeviceTree:/PCI0@0/XHC1@14
Writable : Yes
Capacity : 499.25 GB (499 248 103 424 Bytes)
Owners Enabled : No
Can Turn Owners Off : Yes
Can Be Formatted : Yes
Bootable : Yes
Supports Journaling : Yes
Journaled : No
Disk Number : 4
Partition Number : 2

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It looks like there are a lot of reports regarding Yosemite not playing nice with external drives. Is your new Macbook fully up to date?

Here's one example post from the Apple forums:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6636597

You don't happen to have a Linux Live CD around, do you? Do you have access to any other computers?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I am the only one with a mac in my house... but yes I have access to other computers.

No I don't have Linux CD anywhere handy.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Also thankyou for taking the time to help me.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

No problem - happy to help.

Assuming the other computers are running Windows, one workaround might be to use one of these options to recover the files you need:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-ways-read-mac-formatted-drive-windows/

This might be the most straightforward method, and if you use the 10-day trial from Paragon then you can uninstall the app easily enough when you're done. Alternatively, if the Windows machines have Java installed for whatever reason then the free HFS Explorer app should probably handle it.

If you want to convert that drive to external storage when you're done, from what I read it does look formatting external drives from Yosemite makes them work as expected most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Thanks heaps for your help buddy. I'll fiddle around with it in the interim and see what I can do... really frustrating. Surely it shouldn't be this hard.

And yeah I'll format it and use it as an external afterwards. Can always do with more storage.

Thanks again

• Locked thread