Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

EvilElmo posted:

I'm going to be helping a candidate's team out with some video editing. Any tips on how to make videos interesting and get people to watch more than a few seconds while they scroll through their facebook feed?

keep it as short as possible (15 if you can, 30 otherwise), have solid visuals (many will see it without audio playing), get straight to the point. Basically most people are going to not watch more than a few seconds regardless but those will help you drive your points to the most people possible. If you're putting paid $ behind it try other mediums besides facebook, pre-roll on youtube or other sites is way way better. If its all organic, facebook is the best you can do probably but completion rates will run below 20% most likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've been shanghaied into a debate watching party. In January NBC is doing a Democratic Debate and I'm supposed to put together the tech for a big debate party.
Anyone know how I can stream the debate and be assured that it'll work, I heard the CNBC one wasn't available for streaming online, anyone know how I'd plan for this kind of thing in advance?

I know that both the individual candidate campaigns as well as the DNC itself have been known to help organize this sort of thing. If you aren't already connected to them, I'd suggest getting in touch with the local democratic party office and/or the Clinton/Sanders campaign offices. Not only should they have some resources and ideas for you, but they might be interested in sending along some clipboard volunteers to try and raise support from those who attend.

https://go.berniesanders.com/page/content/toolkit
https://www.hillaryclinton.com/signup/host-a-debate-watch-party/

Kaal fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 10, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
County and State parties haven't been too helpful, but I don't know if it's a problem on their side or at our committee's level.

The big thing I want to avoid is having a big party and no way to watch the debate.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

County and State parties haven't been too helpful, but I don't know if it's a problem on their side or at our committee's level.

The big thing I want to avoid is having a big party and no way to watch the debate.

Hmmm... well if nothing else then just give your local NBC affiliate a call and figure out what needs to happen. I would think that the best option would be to simply have a cable network license, but I'm sure that NBC will also provide an option for online streaming. CNBC actually provided an option for that, as did CNN previously, but CNBC made it premium subscription only. At the very least, you'll be able to give someone money and you will be able to watch it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Kaal posted:

Hmmm... well if nothing else then just give your local NBC affiliate a call and figure out what needs to happen. I would think that the best option would be to simply have a cable network license, but I'm sure that NBC will also provide an option for online streaming. CNBC actually provided an option for that, as did CNN previously, but CNBC made it premium subscription only. At the very least, you'll be able to give someone money and you will be able to watch it.

I'm going to talk to my committee chairwoman on Wednesday. Our district has lovely turnout and one good event might be a good way to start moving things in the right direction. Someone at the County or State level is experienced with this kind of thing so maybe I can get them to volunteer someone to help me out.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hi all, I'm back. I asked earlier about running for state office, and I'd like to thank you for all the information. Hearing it from people who have been in this for a while is as good as advice can get, and I certainly didn't think I could just decide to run one day and magically start to gain support through the power of my amazing speeches given in public areas unsolicited. I'm moving back to Iowa at the end of January, and I'm gonna try to get a job with a campaign somewhere, whether it be super local or more state-wide (there's the other US Senate seat up for vote this year, as well as a local state rep retiring, so there will be a need, I feel), so what's the best place to look for those? I've already taken a look at the links in the OP, and signed up for the Jobsthatareleft group, but if there are openings, is that where they'll be? Or is it more of a Craigslist/newspaper classifieds sort of thing, or even just a "hey I know a guy" situation? If I can't find something I have a feasible backup plan, but it's not something that would earn me super duper amounts of money (my only experience is retail/food service, and I'd rather not go back, but I could definitely get a job as a Pharmacy Technician), and I figure the best way to meet people who are involved in the community is to volunteer/work for a campaign.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone experienced with both NGP VAN and Nationbuilder. I've been asked to consider both and it just seems like NGP VAN is way more expensive. I assume that's because it's not really an apples to apples comparison.
Anyone have thoughts on the two services?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Anyone experienced with both NGP VAN and Nationbuilder. I've been asked to consider both and it just seems like NGP VAN is way more expensive. I assume that's because it's not really an apples to apples comparison.
Anyone have thoughts on the two services?
Funny how this month-old post just so happened to be the last one in this thread. Even if it weren't, I was gonna post in this thread about how if NGP VAN weren't a perpetually buggy piece of poo poo, this whole snafu with the Bernie Sanders campaign never would have happened. Everyone here who's worked on Democratic campaigns knows what I'm talking about. It's vital to have a contact there in case things go wrong, which they most certainly will. I remember the small political consulting firm I used to work for spent a lot of time actively looking for alternatives to NGP VAN and performing phone interviews with the people behind them.

If you must choose only one, use Nationbuilder, end of story. I've been on a couple of campaigns that have used both, but after this clusterfuck, NGP VAN is going to lose a hell of a lot of luster, and I'm sure campaigns across America will take notice.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 19, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I literally paid for NGP VAN on Monday.
:negative:

My client is seriously skittish about the news from yesterday. We don't have any voter data to steal, but it's one of those things where it sorta hints that there's a lot of other problems.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Y-Hat posted:

Funny how this month-old post just so happened to be the last one in this thread. Even if it weren't, I was gonna post in this thread about how if NGP VAN weren't a perpetually buggy piece of poo poo, this whole snafu with the Bernie Sanders campaign never would have happened. Everyone here who's worked on Democratic campaigns knows what I'm talking about. It's vital to have a contact there in case things go wrong, which they most certainly will. I remember the small political consulting firm I used to work for spent a lot of time actively looking for alternatives to NGP VAN and performing phone interviews with the people behind them.

If you must choose only one, use Nationbuilder, end of story. I've been on a couple of campaigns that have used both, but after this clusterfuck, NGP VAN is going to lose a hell of a lot of luster, and I'm sure campaigns across America will take notice.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I literally paid for NGP VAN on Monday.
:negative:

My client is seriously skittish about the news from yesterday. We don't have any voter data to steal, but it's one of those things where it sorta hints that there's a lot of other problems.

I'm not gonna pretend NGP VAN is top-tier or anything, but as a programmer, I've got to say that this strikes me as a pretty understandable mistake. As I understand it, they went to push an update, there was a bug that wasn't detected, and then they fixed it less than an hour later. Then they acted quickly to use their auditing system to identify anyone who abused the momentary breach, and took the necessary disciplinary actions. Now, obviously you want for there to be no bugs, and it sounds like this isn't the first time a similar thing has happened, but I've got to say their reaction wasn't bad.

Whoever leaked this poo poo to the media, however, is an utter moron. Nobody wins here.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
NGP VAN has challenges if you want to do really high-tech things with it - if you've got PhDs in data science on your campaign staff like the presidentials do or you're a developer for campaign software that interfaces with the voter file, you're going to have very valid complaints about the platform. But for your ordinary campaign, it's fine.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
It must have been much harder to do elections before VAN. Did campaigns just buy lists on paper instead?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Spacebump posted:

It must have been much harder to do elections before VAN. Did campaigns just buy lists on paper instead?

It's my understanding that there was more of a reliance on local knowledge, and campaigns would target neighborhoods rather than specific houses.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

For the record there is a reason every serous campaign uses van even though everyone bitches about it. The alternatives are way, way, worse. Nationbuilder is genuinely awful, I haven't used PDI but I've heard it is too. I wish ngpvan had competition, it needs competition, but it doesn't exist right now.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Well, I feel better about my choice then.

I'm not quite a PhD Data scientist. I've got a High School diploma and I'm pretty good at Sudoku though, so it's just a matter of reading the Wikipedia article on Kolmogorov-Smirnov testing and I'll be fine.

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001

gohuskies posted:

NGP VAN has challenges if you want to do really high-tech things with it - if you've got PhDs in data science on your campaign staff like the presidentials do or you're a developer for campaign software that interfaces with the voter file, you're going to have very valid complaints about the platform. But for your ordinary campaign, it's fine.

If your campaign can afford PhDs to work on your data, you shouldn't even have to bother with dumb ol' NGP-VAN for doing your modeling work. IIRC the national party can/will do data agreements with state parties/individual campaigns that give direct access to where the voter file + matched consumer data is stored.

G-Hawk posted:

For the record there is a reason every serous campaign uses van even though everyone bitches about it. The alternatives are way, way, worse. Nationbuilder is genuinely awful, I haven't used PDI but I've heard it is too. I wish ngpvan had competition, it needs competition, but it doesn't exist right now.

This is the ultimate and unfortunate truth. "Everything loving sucks" is pretty much the story of political tech vendors. Nationbuilder is hot garbage and if you are running a Democratic campaign and aren't using the voter file maintained by the DNC, you are being negligent (I have very strong feelings here).

Jackson Taus posted:

I'm not gonna pretend NGP VAN is top-tier or anything, but as a programmer, I've got to say that this strikes me as a pretty understandable mistake. As I understand it, they went to push an update, there was a bug that wasn't detected, and then they fixed it less than an hour later.

Let's just say, that modern programming/devops practices -- cloud-based infrastructure, continuous integration, production/staging environments -- aren't always in play here. There is some truly :stare: worthy poo poo happening, and it is endemic across the whole of political tech consulting/vendors. We are great about those things where I am, and it leads to some unpleasant phone calls with the folks who aren't.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Feeling kinda pissed at NGP VAN now, Like I said, I paid them on the 14th and I still don't have a website up. Nationbuilder had me going on day one of my trial.

I guess it's Christmas but I think I'm going to ask for a refund for this month.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Feeling kinda pissed at NGP VAN now, Like I said, I paid them on the 14th and I still don't have a website up. Nationbuilder had me going on day one of my trial.

I guess it's Christmas but I think I'm going to ask for a refund for this month.

Yeah, I mean they're in the campaign business, and 15 days is like an appreciable fraction of a campaign's lifespan. People simply don't have that kind of time in this environment.

Plus "Christmas" isn't a month long, it should be a week's delay. Maybe there's a two week delay if it's a small shop and there's like literally just the one dude who pushes the button, but "set a client up with the basics" isn't the sort of thing a company should be rendered unable to do for two weeks by the holidays.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think I've found the problem.
We signed up and the assumption was that our website would be joeforcongress.ngpvanhost.com, but they did it as joeshmo.ngpvanhost.com
I'd been trying to login on joeforcongress but it didn't work. I guess I could have pieced together the clues but it didn't help that I haven't heard back from their support.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Any suggestions for the 2016 thread? New FAQ? New OP?

Let me know!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I hate van sometimes.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
I hate local committee people who can't do their loving jobs. Like seriously, you know what the rules are for when your officer elections have to be held, if for no other reason then that you literally wrote those rules and we fought about them. There's no excuse at all for scheduling your officer elections two weeks after the deadline. And if you didn't think I'd check into your "oh, well I got a waiver" claims, guess what? I wasn't born yesterday.

I got to be the drat enforcer today, and it was fun.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Oh god, this NGP website builder thing is based on Drupal.

brb. gotta learn how to drupal really quick.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

G-Hawk posted:

keep it as short as possible (15 if you can, 30 otherwise), have solid visuals (many will see it without audio playing), get straight to the point. Basically most people are going to not watch more than a few seconds regardless but those will help you drive your points to the most people possible. If you're putting paid $ behind it try other mediums besides facebook, pre-roll on youtube or other sites is way way better. If its all organic, facebook is the best you can do probably but completion rates will run below 20% most likely.

Thanks.

Campaign spending is capped at $12k, so won't be any $ behind it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I'm new to an area and need to recruit reliable paid canvassers, any advice?

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Spacebump posted:

I'm new to an area and need to recruit reliable paid canvassers, any advice?

college campus. community colleges are usually the best. walk around and sign people up. you'll have plenty of flakes but eventually build a solid crew of people.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

What are everyone's thoughts/experiences on canvassing on super bowl Sunday?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Spacebump posted:

What are everyone's thoughts/experiences on canvassing on super bowl Sunday?

Are you in NH? Are the Pats playing? I would avoid it because there will be super bowl parties.

Rather, I would knock morning to early afternoon but then it gets tough depending on whose in it and what the neighborhood is like.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

Are you in NH? Are the Pats playing? I would avoid it because there will be super bowl parties.

Rather, I would knock morning to early afternoon but then it gets tough depending on whose in it and what the neighborhood is like.

Yeah, I mean the game isn't until 6:30, so it's not like parties will start before 5pm anyhow.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Jackson Taus posted:

Yeah, I mean the game isn't until 6:30, so it's not like parties will start before 5pm anyhow.

I will say, people are making food so you maybe interrupting people but there are freaks out there who don't watch the Super Bowl.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

Austin, so no teams from the state will be playing in the game. I think we are going to do late morning through the afternoon that day. I can't wait until March.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Just going to suggest introducing the googlevoice app to anyone volunteering or working on your campaign that doesn't want to use their phone number to make calls.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

edit:

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 18, 2016

Icen
Jun 1, 2007

Who is Josh Groban?! KILL YOURSELF!
Is anyone on a US Senate campaign and needs experienced finance staff?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Weird question. It's not for a campaign I work for, but it's for a politician that I think is okay. Someone set up an attack website against him, but there's no indication of who is paying for it and the domain was registered anonymously.
I assume it's going to be a state by state thing, but if I've got a big book of election law in my state, how would I even figure out the rules?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Weird question. It's not for a campaign I work for, but it's for a politician that I think is okay. Someone set up an attack website against him, but there's no indication of who is paying for it and the domain was registered anonymously.
I assume it's going to be a state by state thing, but if I've got a big book of election law in my state, how would I even figure out the rules?

Is there some kind of Ethics and Elections or Public Disclosure commission or something? I bet with some googling (or call and ask your secretary of state's office) you can find who the commission in question is, they probably have a hotline you can call and ask a question. You might have to leave a voicemail and wait for a call back but I've found my state's election commission staff quite helpful for answering real or hypothetical questions that I can't figure out myself.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
One big thing I found is that if a group spends more than $500, they need to register as a PAC. Registering a domain, a wordpress account and a google for work account is all under 100 a year I think so no dice there.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

One big thing I found is that if a group spends more than $500, they need to register as a PAC. Registering a domain, a wordpress account and a google for work account is all under 100 a year I think so no dice there.

Can't you find out who/what owns the website and work backwards from there?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Mooseontheloose posted:

Can't you find out who/what owns the website and work backwards from there?

Hosted on wordpress, registered anonymously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
So after my campaign finishes later this year I've been recommended for a job over in the US as part of a development program.

Problem, I don't have a degree.

I assume this would be a problem when getting a visa. Or can a sponsor get around thatnt

I don't normally advertise that I dont have one. Ive got experience and everyone just assumes.

Has anyone had an international work on their campaign, how did the visa work for them?

• Locked thread