Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

EvilElmo posted:

So after my campaign finishes later this year I've been recommended for a job over in the US as part of a development program.

Problem, I don't have a degree.

I assume this would be a problem when getting a visa. Or can a sponsor get around thatnt

I don't normally advertise that I dont have one. Ive got experience and everyone just assumes.

Has anyone had an international work on their campaign, how did the visa work for them?

From the US DoS:

"U.S. Code of Federal Regulations, 8 CFR 214.2(h)(4)(iii)(D), describes the kind and amount of experience which can be used to establish the equivalency of a university degree. As a guide, three years of professional experience may generally be used as a substitute for each year of university-level education. This means you would need to show 12 years experience in the field you are applying to work in. "

That's for an E-3 visa, though. YMMV, tell your employer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Jeoh posted:

From the US DoS:

"U.S. Code of Federal Regulations, 8 CFR 214.2(h)(4)(iii)(D), describes the kind and amount of experience which can be used to establish the equivalency of a university degree. As a guide, three years of professional experience may generally be used as a substitute for each year of university-level education. This means you would need to show 12 years experience in the field you are applying to work in. "

That's for an E-3 visa, though. YMMV, tell your employer.

Thanks. Thought that would be the visa. But ill check.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
What's driving me nuts are all these people (not necessarily Bernie-aligned, but often so) who come out of the woodwork and are like "we should fix or change X" and then go about it in nonsensical ways. Like if I want to pick a fight with a political group, I'm going to read the rules and figure out how to use the rules to my benefit instead of randomly yelling about something.

If your fight with a political committee is that they won't let you join, why not show up at the reorganization meeting where they'll basically be forced by the party rules to let you join? That seems smarter than showing up 2 meetings later to apply for membership where you risk getting rejected.

Or, if you have a qualm with one of the (well-qualified and popular) people in the running for an officer position, maybe you should call them out weeks in advance and put up your own candidate, rather than sending an email the day of the vote and hoping everyone votes for the other candidate, a kinda weird slacktivist lady.

Hey, you want to run for office where there's gonna be a contested primary? Why not hold your meeting with party leaders on the nominating committee before they've decided the method of nomination instead of continually delaying it until it's too late to have much impact?

Like, I realize that I'm smarter than the average bear, but "read the rules of the game you're playing" and "actually put some effort and thought into it" shouldn't be major accomplishments. I don't understand how these guys walk into buzzsaws so frequently without taking the hint. If I walk into a buzzsaw or so much as hear one behind me I certainly at least try to put my thinking cap on. Like how do they go 0-and-a-bunch and not re-evaluate their strategy?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Jackson Taus posted:

Like how do they go 0-and-a-bunch and not re-evaluate their strategy?

It's all somebody else's fault, it's "the establishment" keeping them down, Democrats and Republicans are basically the same you know? They're just two corporate parties, and Debbie Wasserman Schultz being a kinda crappy chair also somehow means the local Buttfuq County Democratic Party is in league with Monsanto. We're trying to make real change here, the system is broken, and we need a revolution rather than making incremental forward progress towards improvement as has been the process of change on pretty much every issue in history!

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
Oh, so your state party got all kinds of furious calls telling them to reinstate Bernie's VAN access too? :V

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

gohuskies posted:

It's all somebody else's fault, it's "the establishment" keeping them down, Democrats and Republicans are basically the same you know? They're just two corporate parties, and Debbie Wasserman Schultz being a kinda crappy chair also somehow means the local Buttfuq County Democratic Party is in league with Monsanto. We're trying to make real change here, the system is broken, and we need a revolution rather than making incremental forward progress towards improvement as has been the process of change on pretty much every issue in history!

It's not even that. Here's another example. We've been having an email thread for about 3 weeks with a subcommittee on doing our nominating process. Everyone on the subcommittee except one slacktivist is participating via email and call-in and wants a convention. Slacktivist says literally nothing. Then the day before the meeting where we're presenting our recommendation, he emails the subcommittee being like "well obviously primary is the right choice and why didn't anybody raise arguments X and Y?". Holy poo poo dude, don't hold off on participating until the last possible second and then bitch that we've been doing the entire thing wrong. Even in the world where they're right, that's a really ineffective way to change folks' minds.

It's almost like their preferred outcome isn't winning the argument, but martyring themselves.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Jackson Taus posted:

It's not even that. Here's another example. We've been having an email thread for about 3 weeks with a subcommittee on doing our nominating process. Everyone on the subcommittee except one slacktivist is participating via email and call-in and wants a convention. Slacktivist says literally nothing. Then the day before the meeting where we're presenting our recommendation, he emails the subcommittee being like "well obviously primary is the right choice and why didn't anybody raise arguments X and Y?". Holy poo poo dude, don't hold off on participating until the last possible second and then bitch that we've been doing the entire thing wrong. Even in the world where they're right, that's a really ineffective way to change folks' minds.

It's almost like their preferred outcome isn't winning the argument, but martyring themselves.

I am going to refer to the FAQ here:

Mooseontheloose posted:

4. Aren't you part of a system that is just corrupt, making you part of the corruption. All political parties are the same and clearly my pet candidate from (libertarian/green/vermin supreme) didn't win because the two political parties don't want them to win. You make me sick.

Listen straw-man I made up, I get that you think that all political parties are the same and that your pure 3rd party candidate and thoughts would show Americans the light IF ONLY they could get elected. But both parties are not the same from the way they governor to the way the run campaigns and yes their policies are significantly different.

But seriously, it is a problem with the American left (and libertarian right). They want revolutionary change but don't care for the steps it takes to change the system. It's easier to bitch and moan about the game being unfair when you are learning at the last second.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Monkey Fury posted:

Since we don't (I think) have anyone else working on the tech/digital side of politics, I can also answer your nerd questions about being a nerd in politics. I do software engineering/big data work for a large committee in DC. Also willing to just rant about how political journalists cover technology in politics (spoiler: very poorly).

This field will always suck you back in, no matter how hard you try to escape. be awarrrrreeeee

How did you get started? How would you suggest someone get started? I'm a software engineer too so I'm very curious about how that all works.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Hey guys I am a college student in South Texas. I've worked a couple of races here in San Antonio as an unpaid field intern, one mayoral and one state senate. I like campaigns (though this thread doesn't support liking campaigns) and want to get deeper into it. I made a connection with the campaign manager of the last campaign I worked, and am looking at a paid canvas job for a state rep race here then maybe moving to a RFD position on another race (mayoral is in spring 2017). Is this feasible with a student schedule on top of that? I know campaigns can be slave drivers, and I am also looking at Congressional both in district and in DC and have opportunities there in the fall. This race is also in a competitive district. Should I focus on moving up in college or wait until after? I graduate in '18, so my hope was to be able to start working as a Field Director/RFD immediately after school using the experience I've built up.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

TropicalCoke posted:

Hey guys I am a college student in South Texas. I've worked a couple of races here in San Antonio as an unpaid field intern, one mayoral and one state senate. I like campaigns (though this thread doesn't support liking campaigns) and want to get deeper into it. I made a connection with the campaign manager of the last campaign I worked, and am looking at a paid canvas job for a state rep race here then maybe moving to a RFD position on another race (mayoral is in spring 2017). Is this feasible with a student schedule on top of that? I know campaigns can be slave drivers, and I am also looking at Congressional both in district and in DC and have opportunities there in the fall. This race is also in a competitive district. Should I focus on moving up in college or wait until after? I graduate in '18, so my hope was to be able to start working as a Field Director/RFD immediately after school using the experience I've built up.

It's important to distinguish a "paid canvasser" job from a "Field Organizer" job. In a "paid canvasser" job you're given a packet and a script and sent out to hit doors all day (or set on a phone with a call sheet), while in a "Field Organizer" job you're building a team of volunteers, cutting turf/building packets, and running canvasses while also doing voter contact. They might call them different things in different places and different races.

A "paid canvasser" job is probably compatible with a student schedule - you knock for a set number of hours per week, and do it around your class schedule. "Field Organizer" jobs tend to be 60+ hours/week and thus not conducive to student schedules. That said, in terms of future career opportunities, you want a Field Organizer job (or one which roughly matches what I've described in duties and stature), because that's the stepping stone to becoming an FD/RFD.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've got to assist with debate prep for a candidate.

This is a pretty low level race, so mostly gonna be 30 second answers on issues, I think. Not much back and forth unless someone makes a direct attack or something.

Anyone know a good list of likely questions that we can practice?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

First to the paid canvasser:

Get to know the guy who hired you and is assigning stuff, most likely they were a Field Organizer, RFD, or FD at some point. Make sure you show up when you say you are going to show up and when you feel comfortable see how you can be helpful. There is a lot of stuff people who run paid canvasses want to put on someone to free up theretime.

As for local questions:

Why do you want this position?
What is the biggest issue facing your community?
What do you plan to do differently than the person who used to hold (or currently holds) the position?

Try to think of specific things that happen in your area. Like, let's say the school system was underbudgeted by 50,000, how do you plan to get that money back?

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Holy poo poo I'm managing my first campaign and it's kicking my rear end. We're having our kickoff Saturday, and I'm just terrified everything's going to fall apart. Dear lord there aren't enough hours in a day.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

literally this big posted:

Holy poo poo I'm managing my first campaign and it's kicking my rear end. We're having our kickoff Saturday, and I'm just terrified everything's going to fall apart. Dear lord there aren't enough hours in a day.

Good luck!

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

:derp: :siren: EVERYHTING IS FALLING APART!!! :siren: :derp:

Internet was supposed to be installed yesterday, but there was trouble getting access to the utilities room, so they had to reschedule. Best case scenario is we get internet installed the day of the kickoff tomorrow. Lawn signs are getting delivered to the office today, so I have to be in the office to accept them, despite needing to be in other places, to do other things, at the same time. Campaign lit, which I thought was being delivered to the office, is instead being dropped off at my house later today. Walk packets still need to be assembled, which is my #1 priority. The candidate is busy all day, and has been for a while. I haven't had any luck recruiting volunteers, and no one seems able to help me. I'm also the only paid staff member.

:suicide:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Internet was supposed to be installed yesterday, but there was trouble getting access to the utilities room, so they had to reschedule. Best case scenario is we get internet installed the day of the kickoff tomorrow. Lawn signs are getting delivered to the office today, so I have to be in the office to accept them, despite needing to be in other places, to do other things, at the same time. Campaign lit, which I thought was being delivered to the office, is instead being dropped off at my house later today. Walk packets still need to be assembled, which is my #1 priority. The candidate is busy all day, and has been for a while. I haven't had any luck recruiting volunteers, and no one seems able to help me. I'm also the only paid staff member.

Get in touch with local college or high school political clubs for volunteers. Offer them internship positions that "look good on a resume." Good luck.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I might be managing a smaller campaign in next year's primary. The highest staff position I've had on campaigns in the past is field director. Are there any good books on dos/don'ts for campaign managers?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

If anything, this year is going to prove whether field vs. no field is a viable strategy.

As for running a campaign, i can't think of any books or articles to read or anything but try to find similar races in the area and see what people did before. When I ran a city council campaign i had never run any campaign before and I panicked a little because I didn't know how to run the whole thing. Take a deep breath, start with your strengths. If you are a field guy, look at election results and precinct returns, if you are a finance guy, look at the money you need to raise. Then tackle the areas you are weaker at and start developing a plan. It will click, I promise.

As for Do's and Don't here are a few things I can think of:

DO:
*Understand the district
*Understand your candidate/Have an understanding of what they want
*Be flexible in your planning
*Set clear and achievable goals to start
*Talk to local party apparatuses, volunteers, people who know the candidate best
*have a realistic budget and know how to spend it

DON'T:
*Oversell abilities, money, or expectations
*get into fights with the candidate in front of people
*Treat volunteers and party people with disdain (even if they deserve it)
*be afraid to ask for help/admit your campaign weakness

That's what I can offer off the top of my head.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

I'm almost afraid to ask, but how did everything go?

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Baronash posted:

I'm almost afraid to ask, but how did everything go?

Fairly well, actually. I managed to get a friend to help me out the day before, and it's amazing what even just a single extra pair of hands can do. In the 24 hours before, I managed to take things from 'completely hosed' to 'under control.' Internet got installed during the kickoff, lawn signs got delivered 30 minutes into it (should have been delivered the night before...), and a bunch of other things didn't go according to plan, but we were able to roll with the punches. I think a lot of my anxiety was because I've never done this before, and got thrown into a bad situation.

Spacebump posted:

I might be managing a smaller campaign in next year's primary. The highest staff position I've had on campaigns in the past is field director. Are there any good books on dos/don'ts for campaign managers?
Get your office, and get it in order ASAP. I had trouble finding reasonable insurance for our office, and that really pushed back our move-in date further that it should have. Once we could move in, the office still didn't have internet access, a dedicated printer, etc. Not having a centralized campaign location, an office to work out of, and essential campaign items will screw you hard. If something comes up that pushes back your timeline for getting these things, then it's pushing back the timeline your your entire campaign. Don't let that happen.

Also, get a few dedicated volunteers ASAP. As I mentioned above, having just a single extra person helping me out allowed me to turn my situation around. No matter how hard or efficiently you work, there will be times where you need more than just yourself to get everything done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Spacebump posted:

(The following assumes you're running as a Dem. If you're running as an R, flip Democrat/Republican, blue/red, etc.)

How big of a race? Is this like a state legislature primary or like a town council primary?

How contested are primaries in this area usually? If it's a deep-blue seat where the Primary is essentially the General Election, that's a different story as well.

Reach out to folks who have been campaign managers in your area before if they're still around. You'd be surprised how much good and relevant advice you can get for the price of a burger and a beer. Obviously avoid folks who are backing your opponent(s).

If your candidate isn't already active in local committees, have him go help out and volunteer for the Hillary (and/or local) campaign now. It'll help earn him the support both of the local committee but also of the activists and volunteers you'll need in a few months. Cheryl the Super-Volunteer might help out "the nice guy from my Hillary Phonebank" whereas she'll ignore a random state legislature candidate. When you and your candidate go, you don't need be super-open about the fact that you're running, just hoover up activist contacts and reach out in January. Along these same lines, shamelessly bribe the current local FOs into helping you reach out to prospective volunteers (AKA the folks already volunteering for them).

Get your office, and get it in order ASAP. I had trouble finding reasonable insurance for our office, and that really pushed back our move-in date further that it should have. Once we could move in, the office still didn't have internet access, a dedicated printer, etc. Not having a centralized campaign location, an office to work out of, and essential campaign items will screw you hard. If something comes up that pushes back your timeline for getting these things, then it's pushing back the timeline your your entire campaign. Don't let that happen.

Also, get a few dedicated volunteers ASAP. As I mentioned above, having just a single extra person helping me out allowed me to turn my situation around. No matter how hard or efficiently you work, there will be times where you need more than just yourself to get everything done.

In addition to being good advice on its face, this is extra good advice because it helps set the impression of you as the serious candidate in the race. If you look like a serious candidate, folks will treat you like one and it'll be a lot easier to get endorsements.

To that I'll add that a critical way to look serious is to raise money. Heck, if you raise enough money early enough, it can chase off competition. I had a House race where a viable primary opponent cancelled their announcement plans the day after the campaign held a blockbuster six-figure fundraiser. The opponent decided she wanted no part of that, and a 2.5-candidate primary became a 1.5-candidate primary (and this resulted in the semi-viable candidate realizing exactly how long his odds were and dropping out).

Mooseontheloose posted:

DO: Understand the district
DO: Understand your candidate/Have an understanding of what they want

Definitely. You need to know the race you're running and the district you're running in to know how viable different campaign strategies are, and you need to know what your candidate is capable of and willing to do in order to get a sense of which strategies you can execute.

That said, recognize that this is going to require pushing a first-time candidate outside their comfort zone. Someone who hasn't run for office before isn't going to be comfortable with fundraising, but they have to do it. Someone who ran for Town Council and won with 38 votes is going to need to realize what's involved in running this race.

Mooseontheloose posted:

DO: Talk to local party apparatuses, volunteers, people who know the candidate best
DON'T: Treat volunteers and party people with disdain (even if they deserve it)

THIS. People loving hold grudges. Momentary insensitivity or disdain can freaking haunt you. Simultaneously, people often make their "who should I support" decision based on the most trivial of stuff, so showing up and sounding articulate at the right meeting or event can get you a lot of support.

• Locked thread