Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Alright, I farmed up the syndicate flag on the pubbie server and have conquered two pirate regions on our server. If anyone wants to join purple hit me up ingame and I'll set up a heroic instance so you can farm the 1500 rep neccessary. Level requirement is 50 to join but you can still farm the rep before that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rearden
Nov 28, 2012

Losers
Average
Losers
What's the fastest way to level?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
join a higher levels combat instance and kill pirates, don't complete the map

heroics are better for this

or find someone else in a higher level instance and observe it

find their name on the tab menu or /who them, right click and select observe
a new window appears in the bottom right and shows a list of everyone including npcs
select a pirate npc via this menu
right click on the pirate ship and select control. you can't do this if someone else is controlling it
each time the players kill a pirate you gain exp

you have to be controlling and not observing to gain exp and it is probably the fastest way

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I did the NPC Pirate thing for 1-45 and it was great fun, especially back-capping as a zeppelin when the zerg finally decides it time to finish the instance. Had to get my rear end carried though when I came out to jump right into a frigate.

Chernobyl Prize
Sep 22, 2006

This game is a lot of fun but I'm swimming in experience and have no gold so I can't even sail the ships appropriate for my level. Slowly saving for a brig of war.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Can someone explain the whole explosive charge thing to me?

Here's what I know: I start a new game, and for some reason it will give me access to "explosive charge" which is awesome since I can blast my way through some shallow areas to make my shipping lanes a little more easy to navigate.

Then, for reasons unknown, I lose access to the ability.

Is this just a case of "the game giveth and the game taketh away," or is there some way I can retain the skill?

TheToxicEuphoria
Feb 26, 2008
You get explosive charges when you equip Construction Materials in a cargo slot.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Maybe my game is bugged :(

I've tried both accepting quests that give me lighthouses/guard towers to construct, and neither of those gives me explosive charge, and I've tried buying them from "frontier" towns, which also doesn't. Is there some other set of construction materials that I should be looking for?

edit: It seems to show up in combat instances, but not in the standard campaign map. Is that right?

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 29, 2015

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

did you equip construction materials in a cargo slot

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Here's what I'm working with:

On a regular campaign map, with nothing equipped, no explosive charge shows up. All's right with the world. I won't bother posting a screenshot.

On the campaign map, in a "contested area:

Purchased supplies for a lighthouse and guard tower, but not equipped - no explosive charge (as expected).

When equipped, I get the icons to emplace both structures, but no explosive charge ability

This seems to be the case whether I buy the construction supplies at an outpost, or accept the supplies as part of a quest.

However, in a combat instance:

Nothing equipped, but I still have access to explosive charge -

With both a lighthouse and guard tower equipped, explosive charge is still there (though it's greyed out because of combat) -

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I see

did you equip "construction materials" in a cargo slot

not tower supplies, not light house supplies, but "construction materials"

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Ok, that makes much more sense!

Where do advanced construction supplies come from?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

no idea, got mine somewhere

probably from blowing someone up

it might be sold in some ports at some point

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Weltlich posted:

Ok, that makes much more sense!

Where do advanced construction supplies come from?

High Level Towns like lvl 10 etc.

Chernobyl Prize
Sep 22, 2006

Update out today: https://docs.google.com/document/d/134aQGWrGfiwQFpcmsk0IxLsfS8WcB9rrXez2XNJVnB8/edit?pli=1

Mostly faction stuff.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Intrigued by this game but haven't plumped for it yet. Is there a decent endgame? Lots to do to continue increasing your wealth and power or whatever?

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Is this game mainly focused on multiplayer? How close is the ship to ship combat to the Sid Meier Pirates game that came out 10 years ago or whatever?

Chernobyl Prize
Sep 22, 2006

Mister Adequate posted:

Intrigued by this game but haven't plumped for it yet. Is there a decent endgame? Lots to do to continue increasing your wealth and power or whatever?

I'm only level 43 so I don't know a lot about endgame stuff but you can go onto a server and observe high level players doing their instances and take control of NPC ships and earn experience as you fight the players. The highest level I've seen is 250 or so, I think the cap is something like 750. I don't think there's really much to do yet at higher levels other than searching for better gear for your ship and fighting harder instances.

A Stupid Baby posted:

Is this game mainly focused on multiplayer? How close is the ship to ship combat to the Sid Meier Pirates game that came out 10 years ago or whatever?

Multiplayer is where it's at. The guy who made the game was surprised that everyone was trying to turn his game into an MMO and he's changing his plan for future updates because of that. The combat feels just like Sid Meier's Pirates to me, there's a little more depth since you have a bunch more skills and you can focus development on defense, offense, or support.

The dev seems active and connected to the community and he's encouraging modding so I'm really hoping to see some good stuff coming out of this game.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

It's all relatively the same gameplay (in that you're sailing around on missions or sinking ships for someone or another) but it's really fun gameplay for some reason.

Of course the game is alpha and there's consistently more added over time.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
OK, so, how do I find the Syndicate? I get that I need 1000 rep with them to join, but they're not on my map, and thumbing through random seeds suggests that they don't start on the map? Or they're only on a really rare few maps I didn't see or something?

I know that in theory I can sit in an instance with a Syndicate player while he grinds pirates, but the GOON server is basically perma-empty.

Chernobyl Prize
Sep 22, 2006

Jackson Taus posted:

OK, so, how do I find the Syndicate? I get that I need 1000 rep with them to join, but they're not on my map, and thumbing through random seeds suggests that they don't start on the map? Or they're only on a really rare few maps I didn't see or something?

I know that in theory I can sit in an instance with a Syndicate player while he grinds pirates, but the GOON server is basically perma-empty.

Sometimes when you take a town back from pirates it'll capture as a syndicate town but I don't know why. You can then just defend it or do quests for it. I got my 1000 rep by accident just doing a level 37 heroic instance on that server that always has 100 people on it.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
Here is the Goon Hydra Symbol in case anyone wants to use it on their flags:

code:
http://i.imgur.com/NKennGk.png

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I got my rep by accident too. I think if you observe someone in an instance and fight them as a pirate, you'll receive rep from the faction of the instance creator. Maybe? :confused:

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Created a new map(part of the Carribean with eastern Cuba and Jamaica, Haiti and other surrounding areas) for me and my brother with custom factions (France, England, Spain and Dutch Republics for the regular four, Denmark for Syndicate and Nassau Republic for Aequitas) and the faction editor is bugged because you can't change the join requirements for the two "secret" factions so now it's really hard to be Danish I suppose. =(

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Rutkowski posted:

Created a new map(part of the Carribean with eastern Cuba and Jamaica, Haiti and other surrounding areas) for me and my brother with custom factions (France, England, Spain and Dutch Republics for the regular four, Denmark for Syndicate and Nassau Republic for Aequitas) and the faction editor is bugged because you can't change the join requirements for the two "secret" factions so now it's really hard to be Danish I suppose. =(

Can you share the map?

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Tempus Thales posted:

Can you share the map?
It's incredibly clumsy due to the limitations of the map creator and engine but I'll see if I can pull it out.

EDIT: 1132636000

Rutkowski fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 1, 2015

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
If anyone wants to be an admin in the server please reply with your ID from the game. To get this type: /info in chat

Whittle
Sep 18, 2011

This game's pretty therapeutic :)

Chernobyl Prize
Sep 22, 2006

In case you missed it Mook (the dev) posted a "Post-Release Wrap-up" where he talks about how the busiest server in the game was running on his own PC and his frantic patching attempts: http://steamcommunity.com/games/326410/announcements/detail/235657770066720701

Also there have been updates coming out fairly often and things seem to be moving in the right direction. Here's the patch log: https://docs.google.com/document/d/134aQGWrGfiwQFpcmsk0IxLsfS8WcB9rrXez2XNJVnB8/edit?pli=1

I'm still having fun with the game. I've been playing level 100+ heroics, I love throwing water barrels on people.

Chernobyl Prize
Sep 22, 2006

There's a new ship from yesterday's update. You have to have 5,000 kills to get it though, so that'll take a while. Also you have to be in an instance with 14+ other players in order to spawn the pirate king to get it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So this is on sale, but the thread has consistently made it sound like the only really worthwhile way to play it is multiplayer. I'm really only interested in a modern singleplayer game like Pirates! I take it this game isn't worth it if that is all I'm interested in?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So this is on sale, but the thread has consistently made it sound like the only really worthwhile way to play it is multiplayer. I'm really only interested in a modern singleplayer game like Pirates! I take it this game isn't worth it if that is all I'm interested in?

I got gifted this earlier, so I'm only ~2 hours in. I had a blast playing it single player, it really reminds me of the good parts of pirates(high seas), and excludes the bad parts(spending time in towns, sword battles with crappy controls, dances). You go around questing or trading, and blowing up bad guys. Highly recommend.

e: Also on the multiplayer side, the Goon server, along with a ton of others had 0 players.

HarmB fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jun 20, 2015

Whittle
Sep 18, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Multiplayer is fun doing instances with others.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Harmburger posted:

I got gifted this earlier, so I'm only ~2 hours in. I had a blast playing it single player, it really reminds me of the good parts of pirates(high seas), and excludes the bad parts(spending time in towns, sword battles with crappy controls, dances). You go around questing or trading, and blowing up bad guys. Highly recommend.

e: Also on the multiplayer side, the Goon server, along with a ton of others had 0 players.

I painted pretty much all the end-game zones purple in a few days about a month ago and I'm pretty sure if I log in now on the goon server it's still the same.

EDIT: Nope, someone eradicated my purples with the pirates. :(

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
This game is oddly addicting for how simple it is. Surprisingly, it also runs beautifully on my four year old retail Toshiba laptop.

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
I'd really like to see more goons playing this. It's really simple to get in the swing of things. Instances and PvP are a blast. I would be more than happy to help newbies level up and get some equipment.

The developer is actually the one running the largest server. If five or six of us get together we could paint the map black.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!
I've been screwing around with this ever since I picked it up during the summer sale. I wish I had more of an end goal but I think that has more to do with my indecisiveness than anything else.

Still a fun game though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
My immediate goal is to obtain the turtle ship--it's just so versatile and fun. PvP is always a good option though. I've had a blast wrecking people with my Grogolov cocktail as a support spec'd corvette.

Going pirate is instant PvP, regardless of the server faction war settings.

• Locked thread