Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ebeeto
Dec 2, 2013
So I'm looking into buying an accordion and I have no idea exactly what to get or where to get it or what I should really be looking for when checking one out. I have never had or played one before I've just been really into them for a long time. So if anyone could possibly help me out by telling me what I should be doing during my adventures of finding one. I've been looking into mostly piano accordions since the piano is something I'm familiar with. If anyone could at all be of any help that would great, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
I was in your same position and ended up buying a used one online from Liberty Bellows: http://libertybellows.com/sales.html

They have a great detailed inventory, showcasing each accordion on Youtube.

I'm no expert on these things, but I guess you should pay attention to the sizing of the keys (I bought one with smaller sized keys but ended up wishing I got full sized keys, as I'm also familiar with piano, just doesn't feel the same obviously). There's also the consideration of how many "voicings" it can have, or the reed configuration (different sounds).

They came with some old raggedy leather straps that weren't that comfy, so I ended up getting these: http://www.amazon.com/HOHNER-ACC3-Hohner-Accordion-Straps/dp/B0036B8QEW/

jebeebus fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 17, 2015

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

By Jove, this is a thread? Nonetheless, I do happen to desire an accordion or similar instrument for a performance I which I sing a song in the background. Is there type of bellows predominantly used for chording as opposed to both chording and melodies, that one can find cheaply?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Jeff Goldblum posted:

By Jove, this is a thread? Nonetheless, I do happen to desire an accordion or similar instrument for a performance I which I sing a song in the background. Is there type of bellows predominantly used for chording as opposed to both chording and melodies, that one can find cheaply?

So, I'm not an accordion player, although I happen to own one. What I've figured out through $$$, is that there really isn't such thing as a "cheap" accordion. Minimum you're looking at like... $400, but you'll probably be pretty unhappy with it. If you're just loving around, sure, but if you're trying to do anything half-way serious, you're going to have to spend some cash. Also buying cheap, used accordions is a generally terrible idea. Accordions are expensive and a nightmare to fix and maintain, and I regret ever buying the first one I did. "Oh, it's got a sticky key and has a few leaks, nbd, should be easy" and then turns out I need like $600 worth of reeds and other bullshit + work to make it usable.

Anyways, with that said, anyone know anything about zydeco accordion?

• Locked thread