Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favorite album?
revolver
magical mystery tour
sgt. pepper's lonely hearts club band
the white album
abbey road
let it be
View Results

• Locked thread
Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Hardcore beatles fans are kind of like fighter pilots, in that they're both mentally retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I like the white album a lot

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

thathonkey posted:

I like the white album a lot

Back in the UUSR is the most aggressively mediocre rock song in history. It's like a boy band doing an impersonation of a rock group. Oh wait.................................

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

Hollis Brownsound posted:

Back in the UUSR is the most aggressively mediocre rock song in history. It's like a boy band doing an impersonation of a rock group. Oh wait.................................

Baited and set

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Lol if you don't physically own every Beatles album.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I grew up in a house with no Beatles and I currently think they're a very good band.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
YOU MAY BE A LOVER BUT YOU AIN'T NO DANCER

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I agree that Ringo Star's mediocre drumming was a great fit for the Beatles.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

yeah. The Beatles are okay, but they ain't great

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Matey posted:

yeah. The Beatles are okay, but they ain't great

wrong

they are great

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

TEAYCHES posted:

wrong

they are great

Guess we'll just have to disagree bud

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.
In a sense, the Beatles are emblematic of the status of rock criticism as a whole: too much attention paid to commercial phenomena (be it grunge or U2) and too little to the merits of real musicians. If somebody composes the most divine music but no major label picks him up and sells him around the world, a lot of rock critics will ignore him. If a major label picks up a musician who is as stereotyped as can be but launches her or him worldwide, your average critic will waste rivers of ink on her or him. This is the sad status of rock criticism: rock critics are basically publicists working for major labels, distributors and record stores. They simply highlight what product the music business wants to make money from.

Hopefully, one not-too-distant day, there will be a clear demarcation between a great musician like Tim Buckley, who never sold much, and commercial products like the Beatles. At such a time, rock critics will study their rock history and understand which artists accomplished which musical feat, and which simply exploited it commercially.

Beatles' "Aryan" music removed any trace of black music from rock and roll. It replaced syncopated African rhythm with linear Western melody, and lusty negro attitudes with cute white-kid smiles.

Contemporary musicians never spoke highly of the Beatles, and for good reason. They could never figure out why the Beatles' songs should be regarded more highly than their own. They knew that the Beatles were simply lucky to become a folk phenomenon (thanks to "Beatlemania", which had nothing to do with their musical merits). That phenomenon kept alive interest in their (mediocre) musical endeavours to this day. Nothing else grants the Beatles more attention than, say, the Kinks or the Rolling Stones. There was nothing intrinsically better in the Beatles' music. Ray Davies of the Kinks was certainly a far better songwriter than Lennon & McCartney. The Stones were certainly much more skilled musicians than the 'Fab Four'. And Pete Townshend was a far more accomplished composer, capable of entire operas such as "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia"; not to mention the far greater British musicians who followed them in subsequent decades or the US musicians themselves who initially spearheaded what the Beatles merely later repackaged to the masses.

The Beatles sold a lot of records not because they were the greatest musicians but simply because their music was easy to sell to the masses: it had no difficult content, it had no technical innovations, it had no creative depth. They wrote a bunch of catchy 3-minute ditties and they were photogenic. If somebody had not invented "Beatlemania" in 1963, you would not have wasted five minutes of your time reading these pages about such a trivial band.

Extended note from 2010. The Beatles were not a terribly interesting band, but their fans were and still are an interesting phenomenon. I can only name religious fundamentalists as annoying (and as threatening) as Beatles fans, and as persevering in sabotaging anyone who dares express an alternate opinion of their faith. They have turned me into some kind of Internet celebrity not because of the 6,000 bios that i have written, not because of the 800-page book that i published, not because of the 30 years of cultural events that i organized, but simply because i downplayed the artistic merits of the Beatles, an action that they consider as disgraceful as the 2001 terrorist attacks.
Jakub Krawczynski sent me this supportive comment in 2010:

I find it quite amusing that almost all of the Beatles songs have their own entries on Wikipedia (nothing wrong with that in itself, actually), even if they are not singles, and each of them is meticulously dissected as if there were transcendental suites exceeding human comprehension, yet bands like Faust or Red Krayola, etc. have biographies even shorter than just one article about any random Beatles song. Needless to say, none of their songs have any articles on them, yet I'm sure there would be a lot more to talk about. Moreover, if you had put any bad review of their album on the site with the intention to show the broader scope of opinions, you'd risk your "life" there, since such fanatics don't accept any single sign of trying to be objective. You are seen as public enemy number 1 to them. It is like your article is one giant cognitive dissonance to them and vandalizing your bio was the only way to reduce this dissonance.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

the beatles were a run-of-the mill pop band until sgt. pepper - after that they were transcendent because they all took drugs and it turned out that paul mccartney was a musical genius. what luck

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

About
Piero Scaruffi’s Beatles Commentary refers to a copypasta taken from an analysis about The Beatles by the Italian software engineer and music critic. Online, the quotation has gained notoriety for its critical attitude toward the band, as well as its perceived air of pretentiousness. The quote is also often used to infuriate people that are so-called “music defeners” or to critique artists of other genres.

Origin
Beatles, a retrospective article on rock group The Beatles, was published on Piero Scaruffi’s website in 1999.[1] In the article, Scaruffi makes the claim that The Beatles are overrated by many other critics due to their fame. The copypasta, which was translated to English from its original Italian, is taken from its first paragraph, reproduced below.
    The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as “the greatest or most significant or most influential” rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.

Spread
The copypasta was first posted onto 4chan’s music board (/mu/) on June 23rd, 2012, in a thread about The Beatles.[2] It has since been reposted onto the board over 2,000 times in various incarnations since then. A video of Tyrone reading the copypasta was uploaded to YouTube in January 2014.

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
I'd choose the white album but I think the second disc is kinda crap with only a couple of good songs on it.

So I chose revolver.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Reminder that John Lennon was a perpetually whiny bitch who probably drove Mark David Chapman insane with his incessant whining. If 1980s New York had a Stand Your Ground law, Chapman would have being acquitted.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

ThirdPartyView posted:

Reminder that John Lennon was a perpetually whiny bitch who probably drove Mark David Chapman insane with his incessant whining. If 1980s New York had a Stand Your Ground law, Chapman would have being acquitted.

idgi

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
I like the beatles, they did some p good music stuff.

One thing beatle thing I'd like to do is see the magical mystery tour movie. I mean I saw help and hard days night and let it be and even yellow submarine and liked them ok but I do want to see magical mystery tour to "catch 'em all"

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Robbie Fowler posted:

I'd choose the white album but I think the second disc is kinda crap with only a couple of good songs on it.

da gently caress you talkin about? it's not as strong as the first half but these songs are all good:

yer blues
mother natures son
cry baby cry
revolution 1
sexy sadie
helter skelter
honey pie
savoy truffle

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
This poll is so different than my opinion
Top tier- Abbey Road
Close, Second Tier- Revolver, Sgt Peppers
Third Tier - Whit Album, Let it be, MMT

God, if so many of you think White album is the best this incredible band has to offer, no wonder you thnk they're overrated. Do yourself a favor and listen to Abbey Road

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

swampland posted:

Interviewer: Is Ringo the best drummer in the world?
John: Ringo isn't even the best drummer in the beatles

yeah john was a oval office

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Drunk Nerds posted:

Do yourself a favor and listen to Abbey Road

hrmm are you sure that's a beatles album ? i have never heard of it and i doubt any other fans have either

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Drunk Nerds posted:

Do yourself a favor and listen to Abbey Road

Son of Isaac
Apr 22, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ0vm6fxNtc

Seriouspost: Most everything they did was great, but Revolver was the greatest leap forward and had the best songs. Recording technology was invented because John Lennon wanted to swing around the room while suspended in the air during "Tomorrow Never Knows."

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
john lennon was a heroin addict that beat his wife. so you know he's cool

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
My wife and I just had a long conversation prompted by this thread, thanks op.
We both came to the realization that, a good part of the reason they could get so innovative, yet stay so pop was because Ringo "I'm a loving metronome" Starr was so on the beat and SO ON THE BEAD of current drumming techniques (the flawless incorporation of descent drumming into abbey road for instance) made even their weird stuff feel at home

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

ringo is pretty good on "a day in the life"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-Q9D4dcYng

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Drunk Nerds posted:

My wife and I just had a long conversation prompted by this thread, thanks op.
We both came to the realization that, a good part of the reason they could get so innovative, yet stay so pop was because Ringo "I'm a loving metronome" Starr was so on the beat and SO ON THE BEAD of current drumming techniques (the flawless incorporation of descent drumming into abbey road for instance) made even their weird stuff feel at home

Yeah this theory holds water

To summarize. "Ringo made the beatles good because of his complete inability to play anything other than the most basic of drum beats".

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
oh good, this thread again.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

thathonkey posted:

da gently caress you talkin about? it's not as strong as the first half but these songs are all good:

yer blues
mother natures son
cry baby cry
revolution 1
sexy sadie
helter skelter
honey pie
savoy truffle

#9#9#9

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

swampland posted:

Interviewer: Is George the best lead guitarist in the world?
John: George isn't even the best lead guitarist in the beatles

Fixed that for you, John

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfgINoB7yyA

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 18, 2015

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011

thathonkey posted:

yer blues
mother natures son
cry baby cry
revolution 1
sexy sadie
helter skelter
honey pie
savoy truffle

nah, i really only like helter skelter, revolution 1 and good night from disc 2.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

To summarize. "Ringo made the beatles good because of his complete inability to play anything other than the most basic of drum beats".

drat, man. Again, give Abbey Road a try. Those drumbeats are ANYTHING but basic. It certainly seems obvious to beatles fans, but again, Give abbey road a try haters.

Also, I'm pretty sure descent drumming was made a thing in like 1966-67 (correct me if i'm wrong, but the earliest I hear it are on Donovan records and, of course, Piper at the Gates), and by 1969 abbey road Ringo was rocking it to pop perfection. That's some dedication to knowledge that people at the height of fame rarely do.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 18, 2015

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Ringo's drumming was exactly what it needed to be for Beatles' music. Anything more and John would have had an ego crisis.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

Thingyman posted:

witness the worst beatles cover by professional musicians:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV6XLTM5PdU

Lol at splitting up ringos drums for two players.

Miley's is a good singer (I hate her music and act) but holy poo poo that guy did a terrible, embarrassing job.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Drunk Nerds posted:

drat, man. Again, give Abbey Road a try. Those drumbeats are ANYTHING but basic. It certainly seems obvious to beatles fans, but again, Give abbey road a try haters.

Also, I'm pretty sure descent drumming was made a thing in like 1966-67 (correct me if i'm wrong, but the earliest I hear it are on Donovan records and, of course, Piper at the Gates), and by 1969 abbey road Ringo was rocking it to pop perfection. That's some dedication to knowledge that people at the height of fame rarely do.

Holy loving poo poo you dumb rockist motherfucker.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Holy loving poo poo you dumb rockist motherfucker.

Just listen. Come together. The drum beats. Man, that ain't basic.

Edit: My father in law collects records from like, literally every rock group that is any good, from like 1955-now. His record collection is in a giant room. That's how I polish my knowledge

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 18, 2015

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
i only ever listened to rubber soul a few times, none of the other albums or songs. i think about changing that every once in a while but im not sure i will.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
just stopped by cause i want to say i picked white album

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Doctor J Off posted:

just stopped by cause i want to say i picked white album

thanks for participating

• Locked thread