Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
This thread involves me playing RPG Maker and other X Maker games. RPGMaker.net has a random games button, and I use it until an interesting-sounding game pops up. Could be good, bad, mediocre, doesn't matter. There are other game-maker engines mixed in, I'll show off stuff from these as well. I mainly want to show off all the crazy stuff game-making novices think up. It'll mostly be shorter games, but I may do a longer one here and there. I'll do this until I'm tired of doing it or find something else to LP or whatever.

If you want to contribute, feel free.

Also, please don't be a dick and harass the people who made these games. These games were made with great intentions and everyone deserves praise for creating this stuff.

LPed by:

Mega64

demon son
Time and Time Again

Tobias Grant

ARFENHOUSE!!!1
ARFENHOUSE!!!1 TOO!!!!
ARFENHOUSE!!!1 3!!!!!! [Part 1] [Part 2] [Part 3] [Part 4]

silversatyr

A Game Generator, Being Yellow Magic, Castle of Emedress (Video)

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Name: demon son
Engine: RPG Maker XP
Author: william098
Page: http://rpgmaker.net/games/532/

Description:

quote:

Demon son:
You are the son of a demon your quest destroy the arc knights. The arc knights hate demons and kill them on site you may help them or destroy them. Embark on an epic quest to slay or save the demon kingdom. There are Custom skills, weapons, armors, and magic. There is even a character customization. (But some glitches).With over 5 different endings, and even a mmo mode.

Characters:
The main character in Demon son is Samotiyo, but of course you meat others like the ones listed below. Zada- a power crazy half demon also your brother
Yamoti- for a boy who lives in the desert his demon is pretty wet. Yamoti has a water demon.
The download is really short sorry.
-william098
P.S.
IF you wanted to know how demon son is coming.gust email me at [redacted]. and if you're Worried about a finding a religion of some sort the game is not religious.

I'll be fair here in that this is only a demo, which means it doesn't represent what the final game would look like were it finished. I want to cover it because it sets an important precedent for this LP series: Anyone can make a game these days due to tools like RPG Maker, and I think this is a good thing. It lets even the most technophobic person try their hand at making that awesome video game they've always had in the back of their head and bring it to reality, albeit with some compromises here and there.

Update Here

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 18, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
This thread makes my demon so wet.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I remember when my games looked like that. :allears:

Now I just take too much time to make good looking areas instead of working on a story. :nallears:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Name: Time and Time Again
Engine: OHRRPGCE
Author: Master K, SDHawk
Page: http://rpgmaker.net/games/5045/

Description:

quote:

"You are nothing more than a mere wanderer, set off on his own personal journey...however, on your travels, you seem to have caught the eye of a nefarious witch...she intends to be the end of you...but not yet. She belays the inevitable death of you to finish a summoning ritual...you have only have so much time to prepare yourself for a final battle against her...if you fail, you will only get sent back, time and time again..."

This OHR RPG was created for Spoonweaver's 2013 OHR Collab Contest. My partner was SDHawk from Slime Salad, who did all the important scripting in order to get this game to work smoothly and properly, some of the graphics, and some writing. I did a lot of the graphics, and a nice chunk of the writing.

This was done as part of a ten-day or so contest designed around randomly matching two people together from all entrants and seeing how they worked together in making a RPG. There were five entrants in this contest, and this game pretty easily won because, well, it's pretty ambitious and actually pulls off what it set out to do. From reading the progress reports on this, SDHawk did most of the heavy lifting for this project and had the initial idea for the game, though Master K did help a significant bit on art and writing.

It's a short, simple game, but it's quite impressive and I really recommend trying it out for yourself before reading this update. It's very much like jRPG Groundhog's Day or Majora's Mask, where in this case you're reliving the same day over and over trying to figure out the right way to defeat the witch. This LP will of course spoil everything, so again, try it for yourself before reading this. It's only two hours max of gameplay, less if you're sharp enough.

Update here

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 18, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
That looked pretty cool. I love premises like that.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Yeah, that was a really cool concept, even without considering it's an RPG Maker game.

This is a cool idea for a thread, especially since I spent so much time futzing around with RM2k when I was a kid. Gonna be keeping an eye on this.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Rau's about to go Big Brother Barbarian on some motherfuckers, that's for sure.
There's an RPG Maker game I used to play a lot, though it's too long of a game for this thread. It's called Everlong, if you want to look it up.

I always thought the story and its writing were really solid, personally, with some great moments of drama and others of comedy.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

A personal favorite of mine is 7th Stand User ,but that is way too long for the thread.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

DetectiveDorian posted:

There's an RPG Maker game I used to play a lot, though it's too long of a game for this thread. It's called Everlong, if you want to look it up.

I always thought the story and its writing were really solid, personally, with some great moments of drama and others of comedy.

I quit playing that game because it got too long. Also bosses had ridiculous amounts of health.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

This feels like dialogue from a LolCat in like 2006.

All the dialogue in demon's son is amazing.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Rau's about to go Big Brother Barbarian on some motherfuckers, that's for sure.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I quit playing that game because it got too long. Also bosses had ridiculous amounts of health.

It's also kind of tedious to level up, from what I remember. Either the encounter rate was too low, or the monsters didn't give enough experience. Or both.

But I was one of those weird people who spent literal hours leveling up until I could kill the strongest random enemies in the first turn using only physical attacks. Then I'd be comfortable fighting the boss.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
RPG maker feels like the equivalent of creating a super simple image editing program and expecting it to result in art and instead it results in lolcats pictures because that's just what happens when you involve user created content significantly in any enterprise.

Mind you, I'm sure we'll see some gems in this thread. :allears:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Went ahead and moved my updates to the test poster so this doesn't get bogged down in screenshots, and to encourage other people to contribute stuff if they want.

I'll probably only be updating on the weekends since this is a casual thing for me. I've got one more game in my backlog that's actually an adventure game (apparently RPGMaker.net hosts adventure games and platformers and all sorts of stuff that aren't RPGs), and I'll try to play and record another game or two during the week.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Mega64 posted:

keep in mind that this guy still made more progress on his dream than most of you have.

Ha, joke's on you, I actually completed a lovely RPG Maker game in high school!

... wait, poo poo.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Edward_Tohr posted:

Ha, joke's on you, I actually completed a lovely RPG Maker game in high school!

... wait, poo poo.

LP or it never happened. :colbert:

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.
An RPG Maker game thread where anyone can contribute? And they can do OHRRPGCE games as well?

Oh you poor fool, you have no idea what you've just done. You've opened Pandora's Box.

Behold, ARFENHOUSE!

And yes, I have all four games. :getin:

EDIT: now with actual update.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I've heard of ARFENHOUSE before, but never knew it was...this. Anyway, nice job, I'll throw it into the OP.

I'll have something else for this thread tomorrow or Monday. Feel free to add your own stuff, of course.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm going to guess that that was meant to be an ironically bad fangame, that sadly overshot and ended up being actually terrible. I don't even know what the characters were trying to say and I don't care either.

And you're telling me the person behind this bothered to make four of them? Well...not like it could've taken much effort, but still, why?!

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm going to guess that that was meant to be an ironically bad fangame, that sadly overshot and ended up being actually terrible. I don't even know what the characters were trying to say and I don't care either.

And you're telling me the person behind this bothered to make four of them? Well...not like it could've taken much effort, but still, why?!

They're not fangames. Misteroo made these before he made the flash series.

He did make them terrible on purpose, though.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ironic shitgames are still shitgames.

And for those who are asking: Yes. There is a flash series. It is every bit as high quality as the games. There's an entire goddamn Arfenhouse multimedia franchise, and it is by far the most "1998 internet" thing ever to exist.

God help us all.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I always thought Arfenhouse was some kinda furry thing. I guess it's the name.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I'd like to recommend two games to you: Middens and Gingiva, by a guy who goes by myformerselves on rpgmaker.net. I personally adore his work, but they're...well, they're very distinctive, so I don't know how you or everyone else might feel about them. (They're perfectly work-safe and everything, provided your workplace is tolerant of on-the-job surrealism.)

rpgmaker.net/users/myformerselves/games

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Somebody play Adventure Maker games.

Just look at that art
http://www.mobygames.com/game/remedy
http://www.mobygames.com/game/hope-springs-eternal

There were sequels
http://justadventure.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1959:bosch-s-damnation-review&catid=17:articles

And while you're there check out this glowing review
http://www.justadventure.com/2013-05-20-21-09-14/1183-scavenger-hunter

I've played that ages ago. It's poo poo.

The official AM website is dead, but look at the selection of games it had on offer!
https://web.archive.org/web/20120518060830/http://adventuremaker.com/free_games_for_windows_downloads.php

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The next game I'm covering is an adventure game, so there'll be at least one once I get off my lazy rear end and...sit down on my lazy rear end again to write out an update.

I'm personally not doing any requests because I'm more interested in the obscure potentially unplayed stuff nobody's heard of, but still feel free to recommend stuff you think other people should check out. Hell, someone in the thread may end up wanting to show it off too.

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

It's cool. bro. I got you covered.

ARFENHOUSE!!!1 TOO!!!!

The next Arfenhouse update probably won't be until Saturday. The first two games can easily be done in five and fifteen minutes, respectively, while the third and fourth games are significantly longer and will take multiple updates to cover.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Pointing something is poo poo doesn't make it any less poo poo. Why the hell did this guy think this was funny? Like, seriously, why? I get games that are bad because people simply aren't very good at making games and they still put their best effort, but this is a terrible attempt at humour by someone who apparently understands that it is as unfunny as it can be.

I just don't get it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
We were all twelve once.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

The Vosgian Beast posted:

We were all twelve once.

pretty much. i remember finding this stuff hilarious when i was a teenager

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

ARFENHOUSE!!!1 #!!!!!!! update 1

In which Misteroo actually hits the :effortless: button for once.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It's getting...better, I think?

Also I haven't forgotten this thread or that update I promised last week, just involved in various other projects right now. I'll post it eventually.

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

ARFENHOUSE 3 update 2

Can you feel the love in the air?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

My eyes are bleeding and my mouth is foaming.

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

ARFENHOUSE 3 update 3

Get ready for some PLOT TWISTS because they're comin' in fast and hard!

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Okay, so I have something of a self plug. I've made a game for VX Ace that's in what I would call beta right now (game is "finished" but needs refinement), and I'm having trouble getting feedback on the actual site forum any more. It's pretty short, and I'm still looking for feedback. Here's the link for the thread, if you decide you're interested. I can also post the dropbox link if you prefer. Or I can just shut up about it if that's the thing to do.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Tobias Grant posted:

ARFENHOUSE 3 update 3

I'm glad to know the Housemaster Sword wasn't just a throwaway joke.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Tobias Grant posted:

ARFENHOUSE 3 update 3

Things sure got FF7 in here all of a sudden.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

azren posted:

Or I can just shut up about it if that's the thing to do.

I'm fine with general RPG Maker talk/advice and what-not in the thread.

Also, ARFENHOUSE 3 is definitely...I don't even know.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Also, ARFENHOUSE 3 is definitely...I don't even know.

Yes. I don't think I can come up with words for it. It's like some Lovecraftian Mobius Strip of keyboard vomit, and I can't look away. Can we get an enhanced version of :stare:? Maybe mix it with :psypop: or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Get ready for a SHAQ DOWN!
Ah yes, an RPG Maker thread!
While I would love to give you the crowning achievement of my twelve year old self, I can't seem to find the download link for it anymore. The whole execution of the concept failed miserably on almost every level. I remember at one point you had to open a rock with a key.

I wish I had saved it.

I suppose it's not true that the internet never forgets. The best (and oldest, as apparently every website I used to use, including RPG Revolution and PhanXGames has gone defunct), I can give you from what I've personally done seems to be Dungeons: Critical Hit. It's not as overtly bad as whatever the hell I did as a child, but I'm sure it's imbalanced as gently caress. Play it if you want; if not, I don't mind.

Gamesfreak13563 fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 9, 2015

• Locked thread