Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot
I shampoo and condition every day. If I don't shampoo my hair gets super greasy. If I don't condition my hair gets frizzy. But it's usually greasy by the end of the day or the next morning anyway. My hair is super thick, fine, and soft. I think there used to be a thread about this but I didn't see it in the first few pages of this forum.

Should I wean my hair off shampoo or just stop using it abruptly? I'm told that my hair will adjust in time but I'm afraid of the in-between period of looking gross (and also for my complexion). Help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Keep using shampoo.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

Keep using shampoo.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Shave your head

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Use shampoo, buy a proper bristle brush to distribute the oils smoothly. Do not stop using shampoo.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Counterpoint: I made a third attempt to ditch shampoo recently and have stuck with the plan this time. A few times a week I will hit it with some baking soda/coconut oil thing my wife made but otherwise I just give it a good water-only rinse every day. For the first week or so my hair was very greasy and I had dandruff like crazy, but after that it cleared up. My hair feels and looks a lot better, and any residual dandruff and "greasy" feel is far less than what I had while using shampoo. The frizz is gone, and for the first time in my life I've actually had a few compliments on how my hair looks.

So, as to how to do it, get a shorter haircut for the transition period, stop using shampoo, and instead give your hair a thorough rinse and scrub instead. You're still washing your hair, just not with a surfactant.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop

LogisticEarth posted:

Counterpoint: I made a third attempt to ditch shampoo recently and have stuck with the plan this time. A few times a week I will hit it with some baking soda/coconut oil thing my wife made but otherwise I just give it a good water-only rinse every day. For the first week or so my hair was very greasy and I had dandruff like crazy, but after that it cleared up. My hair feels and looks a lot better, and any residual dandruff and "greasy" feel is far less than what I had while using shampoo. The frizz is gone, and for the first time in my life I've actually had a few compliments on how my hair looks.

So, as to how to do it, get a shorter haircut for the transition period, stop using shampoo, and instead give your hair a thorough rinse and scrub instead. You're still washing your hair, just not with a surfactant.

I live in an older house, and my roommate would wash her hair with baking soda. That seemed to clog up the tub drain something fierce and I had to use a plunger and drain cleaner regularly (every few weeks) to get the tub to drain properly. What came up was little caked up pads of stuff, almost as if a bread ingredient was regularly put down the drain.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Oh come on, only one of you suggested a good shave?

OP, shave your head. Solves all your problems guaranteed. Or I'll give you your money back.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I stopped shampooing a couple of years ago, I just use conditioner and rinse. It works great for me, my hair gets less smelly/greasy than it did when I'd shampoo daily, it is more manageable, softer, etc. I have super thick, super straight hair with a shorter haircut.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

eonblue174 posted:

I live in an older house, and my roommate would wash her hair with baking soda. That seemed to clog up the tub drain something fierce and I had to use a plunger and drain cleaner regularly (every few weeks) to get the tub to drain properly. What came up was little caked up pads of stuff, almost as if a bread ingredient was regularly put down the drain.

Baking soda alone is not going to clog your drain unless you're pouring the better part of a box at once, and you allow it to dry in place. You probably just have a big ol' hair clog that needs to be snaked out.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

bewbies posted:

I stopped shampooing a couple of years ago, I just use conditioner and rinse. It works great for me, my hair gets less smelly/greasy than it did when I'd shampoo daily, it is more manageable, softer, etc. I have super thick, super straight hair with a shorter haircut.

I shampoo every 7-10 days and use conditioner in between. Same results here - I have thick curly hair and it gets really frizzy and is a pain in the rear end if I shampoo more often. I also use hippy shampoo (I think it's Jason) without sulfates, other kinds were causing frizz problems too.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
I haven't used shampoo in like 5 years. It was greasy for a couple days to a week when i started and then it was normal. I have a buzz cut most of the time but even when i let it grow out an inch or two it's fine.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I haven't used it in more than 5 years either. Just schedule your transition for a week when you don't need to go anywhere important and stop using it. Use conditioner once to agitate dirt out, then apply conditioner again and wash it out last. If you want to help your transition I guess you could switch to baby shampoo before you start but probably easiest to just go cold turkey.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

I shampoo very rarely, less than 1x per month for sure. When I use it, it's sulfate free. My hair is pretty short, 1-2" in length. It doesn't look or feel greasy, ever.

The easiest way to stop using it is to begin by diluting it each time you use it. Start by using 75% the normal amount you would use. Do that for a few days. Then 50%. Then 33%. then 10%. Then just stop using it.

You can clean any oils out of your hair with very warm water. There's no need to strip your hair of every possible oil every single time you shower, which is exactly what sulfates in shampoos do. Everything I've read indicates that your body wants your hair to have a certain base level of protective oils. When you strip these oils away with sulfates, your scalp makes more oils. So when you don't shampoo for a day, your scalp is used to working overtime to make these oils, and thus your hair ends up looking greasy.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I shampoo every day and my hair is just fine. Clean and sweat-free too.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
How does this work if you use hair wax or other products?
Do you all just walk around with flat hair all day?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

How does this work if you use hair wax or other products?
Do you all just walk around with flat hair all day?

Depends on what style you're going for, and what products you're using. If it can be washed out with warm water there's no reason it wouldn't work. I've never had any dramatically styled hair, but with the natural oils intact my hair has a fair amount of loft and stays in place way better than it did before.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
What is the issue with sulfates? I shampoo only like 2x a month and condition 1x a month. I find that rinsing with hot water does wonders and I have hair past my shoulders. I get bad dandruff when I shampoo though.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
Shampoo is cheap and washing your hair takes less than 5 minutes. What exactly is the issue here?

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

Imaduck posted:

Shampoo is cheap and washing your hair takes less than 5 minutes. What exactly is the issue here?

I have long hair so takes like 20 mins full course. But that ain't the issue Shampoo just fucks up my scalp so I try to minimize shampoo use.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Shampoo makes my hair look extremely thin and it sucks. If I don't shampoo it gets some volume. :shrug:

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
It takes a week or two for your scalp to adjust to no longer having the oils routinely stripped out of it. Once it does, you'll notice that your hair no longer gets oily or greasy. If you use hair products then definitely keep shampooing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
a light dusting of baking soda, worked into the scalp, with a vinegar rinse should do the trick.

Note that if you're athletic/sweat a lot the vinegar smell might come out.

whoredog
Apr 10, 2002

FilthyImp posted:

a light dusting of baking soda, worked into the scalp, with a vinegar rinse should do the trick.

Note that if you're athletic/sweat a lot the vinegar smell might come out.

Sointenly posted:

It takes a week or two for your scalp to adjust to no longer having the oils routinely stripped out of it. Once it does, you'll notice that your hair no longer gets oily or greasy.

I think i'm on three years of baking soda and apple cider vinegar. Though i mix it in condiment squeezy bottles. A heaping TBS of baking soda and a glug of cider into each while the sink water gets hot, shake to mix as it's filling. Me n my girlfriend split it though i use slightly less.

The random times i DO use shampoo, my hair is nasty greasy the next day.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
There is totally an argument to be made for the whole idea that modern solutions create problems, which can be solved by other modern solutions that also create more problems that can also be solved . . .

Totally true, that said, the whole problem->solution->problem->solution cycle is (for most hair types and professions) a better train to be on than the whole "no shampoo" train. There are totally people who can pull off the "no shampoo" look. Women have an easier time of it than men and even then it is never quite "corporate". Not like "professional artist" good-but-crazy hair, but "good looking but not professional" hair but more "attractive server or perpetual-temp-that-never-manages-to-land-a-full-time-gig". If that is your scene, that is cool. Capitalist acceleration of perfect hair is like capitalist acceleration in a lot of other areas. On the one hand, it is a losing game, but on the other, if you've got the chance to play the game, it helps not to have hair that smells like vinegar or looks kinda nasty.

Class mobility in the US is . . . not what it is advertized to be (this also applies to most anglophone countries, the majority of SA membership). So, you know, don't spend more than you can afford chasing some crazy perfect hair. I'm sure there are some folks that can tell you they made the whole baking soda and vinegar work. I get that the plural of anecdote isn't data, in the social sciences, it's call "ethnography" which sounds a lot worse than it is -- it just means collecting a bunch of anecdotes to see if there is some broader trend.

I'm just saying people who make it work are people that have the kinds of hair that makes it work. Or they have the kind of careers where it just has to work "well enough". Spend some of what I like to call "Man in the Mirror" time thinking about what kind of hair you have, what kinds of jobs you want, and how you want to present yourself to other people. Thankfully, we live in a sufficiently post-modern society that we can make few truly "wrong" decisions, but we are still bound by the consequences of our decisions, so think on it and make the decision you want to make.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Shbobdb posted:

There is totally an argument to be made for the whole idea that modern solutions create problems, which can be solved by other modern solutions that also create more problems that can also be solved . . .

Totally true, that said, the whole problem->solution->problem->solution cycle is (for most hair types and professions) a better train to be on than the whole "no shampoo" train. There are totally people who can pull off the "no shampoo" look. Women have an easier time of it than men and even then it is never quite "corporate". Not like "professional artist" good-but-crazy hair, but "good looking but not professional" hair but more "attractive server or perpetual-temp-that-never-manages-to-land-a-full-time-gig". If that is your scene, that is cool. Capitalist acceleration of perfect hair is like capitalist acceleration in a lot of other areas. On the one hand, it is a losing game, but on the other, if you've got the chance to play the game, it helps not to have hair that smells like vinegar or looks kinda nasty.

Class mobility in the US is . . . not what it is advertized to be (this also applies to most anglophone countries, the majority of SA membership). So, you know, don't spend more than you can afford chasing some crazy perfect hair. I'm sure there are some folks that can tell you they made the whole baking soda and vinegar work. I get that the plural of anecdote isn't data, in the social sciences, it's call "ethnography" which sounds a lot worse than it is -- it just means collecting a bunch of anecdotes to see if there is some broader trend.

I'm just saying people who make it work are people that have the kinds of hair that makes it work. Or they have the kind of careers where it just has to work "well enough". Spend some of what I like to call "Man in the Mirror" time thinking about what kind of hair you have, what kinds of jobs you want, and how you want to present yourself to other people. Thankfully, we live in a sufficiently post-modern society that we can make few truly "wrong" decisions, but we are still bound by the consequences of our decisions, so think on it and make the decision you want to make.

This is the weirdest post.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Ask me about Huey Lewis and The News.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Use soap.

edit: Rub the soap on your hands and then put your hands in your hair.

a dog from hell fucked around with this message at 09:41 on May 20, 2015

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot

a dog from hell posted:

Use soap.

:stonk:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
My experience is that I used to shampoo daily, but now I shampoo like one a week or two, but still wash it daily in hot water. The less hair you have the easier it is. I find it gets impractical if you have longer than average hair (for a guy) to go more than a week without shampooing. Your hair gets pretty coarse if you never shampoo, and I guess that's fine if nobody ever touches your hair.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Shampoo is 90% soap.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

a dog from hell posted:

Use soap.

I used soap once because I was out of shampoo. I got dandruff so bad the next day, it was insane. I will never do that again.

I use product in my hair daily and I just started to use conditioner only instead of shampoo. That seems to get things clean without my scalp going through the greasy phase.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Bip Roberts posted:

Keep using shampoo.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Shower much less, but shampoo your hair every time you do.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014
Wash your hands with soap. Rinse your hands.

Use your oil-free hands to wash your hair and massage your scalp. Your hands will pick up some of the excess oils in your hair.

Repeat both steps.

Repeat again.

Seriously, you may have to do this a few times in one session until your hair starts to feel 'right'. Be sure to massage slowly and carefully to get as much foreign material out as possible.

Going without shampoo in my case was because shampoo/conditioner/etc were really hard on my scalp. I've done without it for a while and I'm quite happy. If my skin changes in the future, I've got no problems with going back to shampoo or even trying something else.

Give it a shot. Maybe it'll work for you.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Cage posted:

Shower much less, but shampoo your hair every time you do.

Never shower. Showers are just a lie that the government uses to get us to waste money on water bills. The ancient greeks were the first people to use showers and they're all dead.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
I tried no shampoo and I couldn't make it a week before I caved. My hair looked awful and greasy. Then I tried cutting down to 3 times a week. I went a month of this schedule and my hair still never adjusted. Now I do every other day with a sulfite free shampoo and dry shampoo on the off days. My hair is very fine so it gets oily quickly and it's not long enough to put in a ponytail.

:shrug: maybe some people just gotta shampoo

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

eonblue174 posted:

Baking soda is also cleaning product, and it is in fact an excellent drain cleaner due to its combination of abrasive and water-soluble binding properties. :science:

Invest in a drain cover to prevent the hair blockage that is almost certainly your issue.

Demora
Aug 13, 2004

It wouldn't be the Enterprise without a Sulu at the helm

Start to shampoo less. Try to reach a goal of 1x a week. Between washing, use dry shampoo.

Dry shampoo is your friend. It comes in a spray like hair spray or a powder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
Hair products are created by evil corporations that want your money. They dry your hair out and thus your head produces more oil. Water is fine, give it 2 weeks. Shampoo if you get dirt or something in your hair.

• Locked thread