Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Chaotic Neutral posted:

Eh. Samurai's far from being hilariously good - it won't make a bad party better and it won't make a good party worse. Its toolkit is anemic - Shirahadori is mediocre since an ability slot is usually more valuable than a 25% evasion check, Zeninage is highly situational due to its formula and any party that has to rely on it is in abysmal shape already, and Iainuki is a decent instant kill effect for a skill 800+ AP deep into a subpar physical attacker. Crits are nice, but so unreliable as to barely count as a perk.

Heavy Armor is nice. Offensive power is better. It's no Geomancer or Dragoon, but it's still a third-rate class.

you're really undervaluing zeninage, it's an excellent way to tear through some of the nastiest bosses in the game (including neo) and iainuki is IMO the best non-magical trash-sweeper in the game. the masamune's also arguably the second best weapon in the non-GBA game, acting first and being able to grant haste on demand is huge. you're right, shirahadori's not great as an equipped ability but having one party member that's basically invulnerable to physical damage (SH+elf cape+shield+heavy armor) is pretty choice, and if it weren't for the insane endgame swords katanas would pretty much be swords: the better version. they've also got a buynch of party synergy: zeninage benefits heavily from level boosts on bard or chemist or blue magic like off-guard, 2hing a katana is nasty as heck if you get knight and they're a great chassis for pretty much any other skill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Samurai are really good and Zeninage is one of the best offensive moves in the game.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 19, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zeninage is good on low defense targets or if you level up a lot. The damage itself is low, it's the multiplier that's enormous.

Damage on Zeninage is: (Level + 10 - Target's Defense) * 150

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Only in FF5 can a job that's tankish, can deliver solid multi-target damage, and has a decent "instantly kill most enemies" move be considered mediocre.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Fungah! posted:

you're really undervaluing zeninage, it's an excellent way to tear through some of the nastiest bosses in the game (including neo) and iainuki is IMO the best non-magical trash-sweeper in the game. the masamune's also arguably the second best weapon in the non-GBA game, acting first and being able to grant haste on demand is huge. you're right, shirahadori's not great as an equipped ability but having one party member that's basically invulnerable to physical damage (SH+elf cape+shield+heavy armor) is pretty choice, and if it weren't for the insane endgame swords katanas would pretty much be swords: the better version. they've also got a buynch of party synergy: zeninage benefits heavily from level boosts on bard or chemist or blue magic like off-guard, 2hing a katana is nasty as heck if you get knight and they're a great chassis for pretty much any other skill
I value Zeninage extra low because I almost never have the level to make it worth my time on targets of substance - if I'm leaning on it for Neo Exdeath I'm probably already looking at an unpleasant grind to survive Almagest anyway outside of Bard+Samurai edge cases. Iainuki, too, is a good trash sweeper.. at the rear end end of a long, 800+ AP grind.

Like, if you routinely kill everything you encounter and do a lot of backtracking or grinding during your runs, then Samurai is probably more valuable to you. I've always found Samurai to be lagging way behind my pace unless I go out of my way for it and most useful as a first strike+haste casting bot at the end of the line, which makes it feel a lot more like dead weight than a useful and contributing party member.

Mega64 posted:

Only in FF5 can a job that's tankish, can deliver solid multi-target damage, and has a decent "instantly kill most enemies" move be considered mediocre.
basically this

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Samurai is baller in challenge runs, what are people smoking. Evasion alone is an excellent innate to have. A bunch of the worst bosses have powerful physicals (Exdeath in all his forms, Necrophobe) and dodging them is always useful. Giltoss is stupidly strong on almost everything, and what's wrong with instant death on everything? Blue Mage gets Death Claw to do the same thing and that's highly rated. Yeah, it's more AP in but if I had an otherwise crappy team I sure as hell would grind up the AP needed to oneshot the Seal Guardians. Yeah, it's not Chemist/Blue Mage, but what is? It's sturdy, uses shields, gets exclusive access to the goddamn Masamune, crits, and is just all around excellent.

Look at it this way. Any one of those properties, if you put them on a Thief or Geomancer, would make those classes ten times better. Don't be hating on the Samurai.

Now that I'm not inundated with life responsibilities, I'm definitely going to be in this year. I have no idea what Chaos Mode will be, but I'm sure it'll be interesting.

Out of curiosity, what versions will everyone be playing on? I'm still a boring fart who'll be using the SFC translated version for my run, but I've also got a little bonus.

See, when we got married, one of the presents given to me and my wife was a SNES, since we didn't actually own one ourselves. So, for my birthday, she went and got me a Super Famicom cart of Final Fantasy V. A pair of pliers later, and there we go, runs on the SNES. If I have time and energy, I might do a run on that, just for the hell of it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Samurai are the second-best Earth job, since Dragoons are basically jump-bots and Dancers have a 25% chance of being useful. Their biggest downside is "they aren't Chemist", come on.

Zeninage is niche as hell until endgame when you're drowning in gil, but at the same time it's one of the most reliable ways to get past Purobolos without a bunch of slamming your face against a wall of Arises. Katanas aren't really bad weapons, and the Masamune is by far the best Legendary weapon because Haste is that broken and initiative + Iainuki is a great way to say "gently caress you" to random encounters. Aside from that, they're just less-defensive Knights or less-stupid Dragoons.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
If anyone wants to experience waiting out Omniscient, you can see it live!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'm bored so here's an avatar. Take your pick of fast or slow.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

A_Raving_Loon posted:

I had to wait him out one year. I just put it on fast forward and watched a movie.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I've been trying a bit of Team Earth Crystal with Dancer/Dragoon/Samurai/Chemist, and I'm curious... Is there any real synergy with this team? I can use Chemist to boost Zenigage's damage and Equip Ribbon on Dragoon to exploit the Man Eater being a spear, but otherwise it seems a team of individuals who don't really have much use for each others' abilities (besides !Mix but that's a given).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mega64 posted:

I've been trying a bit of Team Earth Crystal with Dancer/Dragoon/Samurai/Chemist, and I'm curious... Is there any real synergy with this team? I can use Chemist to boost Zenigage's damage and Equip Ribbon on Dragoon to exploit the Man Eater being a spear, but otherwise it seems a team of individuals who don't really have much use for each others' abilities (besides !Mix but that's a given).

Chemist can wear a Lamia's Tiara and have half-odds Sword Dance? :v:

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Fiesta baby! This will be the second year in a row that I've done this, and it's always a great time. This year, I might actually take the plunge and try a Berserker Risk run. Given Can's changes, it could be a lot of fun.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Are we on the next page yet? I'm not sure if we're on the next page yet. Samurai owns, it's not "tankish" it's literally the tankiest class in the game when you combine their passive + stats + equip options, and Zeninage is a life-saver on a couple of annoying bosses (the aforementioned Puro and Neo Exdeath) if you have a poo poo team otherwise.

Then again people itt like Dancer for reasons other than the flamenco shirt so it's a certified nuthouse

EDIT: If your level is low enough that Zeninage isn't useful on Neo XD, your Dancer is probably going to spend the entire fight eating dirt anyway

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The question isn't whether the Samurai job is good, it's which character looks best in it.

It's Krile

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Krile isn't the best-looking sprite for any job because it loving drives me crazy that we can see both of her eyes

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I like Krile because when she gets blind it puts the sunglasses where her eyes would be if she was the same height as every other sprite and it looks like she's wearing them on her head like a cool dude

Also, Krile has the best White Mage sprite

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

A_Raving_Loon posted:

nearly 100 viewers reached! :eyepop:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Krile is usually the cutest for every job but I think her Black Mage, Dragoon, Berserker and Geomancer are the best.

Since I usually assign the classes to whoever looks the best I usually have to decide which Krile outfit is the best of my four classes and then after she is assigned who looks best in each of the others.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
that berserker is definitely superdorbs. Bartz looks best as Dragoon though since he's Kain.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I like Krile because when she gets blind it puts the sunglasses where her eyes would be if she was the same height as every other sprite and it looks like she's wearing them on her head like a cool dude

Also, Krile has the best White Mage sprite

Tru dat

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

that berserker is definitely superdorbs. Bartz looks best as Dragoon though since he's Kain.

Both Lenna and Bartz make good looking Dragoons, but Krile easily takes it with her spiky scrunchy.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Krile's "readied action" pose is one of my favorites because she just looks so pissed off

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I didn't see that Carl Boss picture so someone please post it for me.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Contest Winner posted:

I didn't see that Carl Boss picture so someone please post it for me.

This one?

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Yes, thank you.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

A_Raving_Loon posted:

the gently caress is even going on here?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Deki posted:

the gently caress is even going on here?
he ran Omniscient out of MP so he couldn't cast Return, now he's punching him to death.

It takes a while. I don't think he has monk.

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!
Why is he punching him to death? Wouldn't even smacking him around with a rod do more damage?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Oh, he found a knife.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ayana posted:

Why is he punching him to death? Wouldn't even smacking him around with a rod do more damage?

He's deliberately dragging this out. ~17 comets would have ended it ages ago.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

he gave the wizard an ether

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

RETURN

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

How Rude posted:

nearly 100 viewers reached! :eyepop:

5 and a half hours to drain him.

5 Seconds to reverse it all.

~FIESTA~

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
I HATE MY LIFE, KILL ME.

KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

thevoiceofdog posted:

I HATE MY LIFE, KILL ME.

KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME

same

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I'm going to watch this happen all over again because Lenna is going to run out of MP before Omniscient dies

My diaphragm is not ready

edit: aww he died :(

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
THANK GOD

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
GOTTA GRAB THOSE SPELLS IN PERFECT SYNC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU