Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
My wife says she new a couple of kids growing up who were basically vegetables with functioning brains.

Today I'm reading stories like "this 11 year old was functionally illiterate," and "sure my homeschooled kids are behind, my 13-year old can't spell `were.' But she can lead a bible study group so she's ahead of the curve in that aspect."

Has anyone else met a weird homeschooler and have an interesting story about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Just read a teacher say they've met dozens of homeschooled kids who enter public school at the high school level, and only two were not weird or lacking in preparation/skills/education

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
you, op

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
they should be euthanized

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

When I was in the army I worked with a couple guys who were homeschooled. Imagine a scene from a war movie or a spy movie like the Bourne identity, where they're in a command center trying to track terrorists from a drone feed and moving assets to the target, etc. Imagine everyone is tense and focused, like that picture of Obama & Clinton during the bin Laden raid.

Now imagine there's one guy in the back of the room trying to balance himself with one foot on the edge of a stair, flailing his arms around and making robot noises.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Drunk Nerds posted:

Just read a teacher say they've met dozens of homeschooled kids who enter public school at the high school level, and only two were not weird or lacking in preparation/skills/education

i probably couldn't differentiate homeschooled west virginia kids from public-schooled west virginia kids either

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

bees everywhere posted:

When I was in the army I worked with a couple guys who were homeschooled. Imagine a scene from a war movie or a spy movie like the Bourne identity, where they're in a command center trying to track terrorists from a drone feed and moving assets to the target, etc. Imagine everyone is tense and focused, like that picture of Obama & Clinton during the bin Laden raid.

Now imagine there's one guy in the back of the room trying to balance himself with one foot on the edge of a stair, flailing his arms around and making robot noises.

they used him to clear mines, right?

Calbiyum
May 18, 2015
I was home schooled and had panera bread for lunch every day of this week

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Once caught a homeschooled kid rummaging through my trashcans at night. I shined a flashlight on him and his eyes were all reflective and creepy. He hissed at me and fled into the darkness.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

Once caught a homeschooled kid rummaging through my trashcans at night. I shined a flashlight on him and his eyes were all reflective and creepy. He hissed at me and fled into the darkness.

I think that was a racoon bro

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
i was a weird homeschooled kid

it sucked, i do not recommend it

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I have a weird reaction to these threads because I was homeschooled and am "conventionally successful" but also weird and suicidal so what does that really matter?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

xtal posted:

I have a weird reaction to these threads because I was homeschooled and am "conventionally successful" but also weird and suicidal so what does that really matter?

I think homeschooling can work, but usually doesn't because most parents are lousy teachers and probably really stupid themselves.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
is there anything lower on the social pecking order than a homeschooled kid?

except maybe goons

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
what is the sum total of parents that have homeschooled their kids but given them a secular education

hippy dippy super left types do not qualify as secular

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gnarlyhotep posted:

I think homeschooling can work, but usually doesn't because most parents are lousy teachers and probably really stupid themselves.

Either that or they just want to indoctrinate their kid with their ideology instead of letting the kid develop critical thinking and decide for themselves.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

Xaris posted:

is there anything lower on the social pecking order than a homeschooled kid?

except maybe goons

Gingers

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I saw a painting of a homeschooled kid.
The expression would change while you weren't looking.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
idk gingers seem more accepted than homeschoolers

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

gnarlyhotep posted:

Most of the parents who go out of their way to withdraw their child from society don't exactly have a practical education in useful life skills as their first priority

The Hman
Jan 6, 2015
The reason they're all wierd: homeschool sex ed.

it's true

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
my sex dungeon is all the education they will require

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

we had a homeschool kid in middle school who dressed like it was 1740 and liked to tell the sikh and jewish kids they were going to hell, she didn't make a lot of friends, that's my homeschool kid story

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
My roommate was home schooled until college and he speaks way too loving loud, like he's constantly shouting. He also laughs like a retard. One way public school helps you is that people can point this poo poo out until you get self conscious and stop acting stupid.

lol he's a 26 year old that stomps his feet and yells at video games at like 2 in the morning, his parents sure did a good job raising him

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
One time in the walgreens I was browsing affordable summer fun and expired ink cartridges. Caught a glimpse of a homeschooler trying to fall into a mirror. Poor thing, didn't have the heart to tell him it only works the one time.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The homeschool kid at my middle school was okay, he just dressed in clothes that were clearly chosen by his mother and didn't know pop culture stuff. He was also the only one who opted out of the sex ed unit - he just sat at a desk out in the hallway and studied something else during class. Needless to say he was teased mercilessly

E: I also had a brief chat with a homeschooler when I was helping at a children's event in my local library. She looked to be about 11 or 12. She wore a baggy shirt and a skirt that went down to her ankles, referred to her baby sister (whom she was holding) as "my pet," and was obviously so hard up for social interaction outside of her family that she seemed excited to talk to me. Me!

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 18, 2015

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
if you're going to homeschool your kid you should at least also make them do strength training so that when they get into real school nobody will gently caress with them

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast

Darkman Fanpage posted:

if you're going to homeschool your kid you should at least also make them do strength training so that when they get into real school nobody will gently caress with them

We don't really want to be making small-minded retards super strong though. Makes it harder for authorities to subdue them when they inevitably do something horrible to a woman because they have the social skills of a downsy chimp.

Don't homeschool your kids, please. It's a really cruel thing to do to them. No one stupid enough to do that to their children is smart enough to teach them anything. It's a real catch 22.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

gnarlyhotep posted:

That's true but it can also be said of literally every public school teacher

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
I don't think I've ever met somebody who was homeschooled, or at least I wasn't aware of it.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Never met a home schooled kid because no one around me is religious. Which is consequently why home school kids are so retarded.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

My neighbors growing up were homeschooled and weird as poo poo - nonreligious, too. The younger one couldn't loving read until she was like thirteen because she didn't really want to, how is it legal to gently caress up a human being that badly

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Very first light, kid. The homeschoolers come cruisin'. So we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know it's... kinda like ol' squares in battle like a, you see on a calendar, like a game of Total War.

And the idea was, the homeschooler comes to the nearest kid and that kid, he'd start poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the schoolie would go away. Sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that homeschooler, he looks right into you. Right into your eyes. You know the thing about a schoolie, he's got...lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'.

Until he bites ya and those black eyes roll over white. And then, ah then you hear that terrible high pitch screamin' and the sandbox turns red and spite of all the poundin' and the hollerin' they all come in and rip you to pieces.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

xtal posted:

it could be said of them but it isn't because that would be really dumb. you see, public school teachers need to be educated in the subjects they teach as well as educational methods, compared to your parents who were just barely smart enough to figure out how their hideous genitalia interact

homeschool idiot bitch

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot

Ryoshi posted:

it could be said of them but it isn't because that would be really dumb. you see, public school teachers need to be educated in the subjects they teach as well as educational methods, compared to your parents who were just barely smart enough to figure out how their hideous genitalia interact

homeschool idiot bitch

lol

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

xtal posted:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

the system isn't perfect but I would bet hard money that the percentage of abysmal accredited teachers is way lower than the percentage of abysmal homeschool teachers

just throwing that out there

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
I was forcibly home schooled. I wanted to go to regular school but my retarded oval office of a mother wouldnt let me.

Dont homeschool your kids or they will turn out to be a weird cat people/trannies/pickle juice drinkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
what happens when a home school kid wants to take AP or Honors classes or learn calculus or has science questions and the parent goes 'haha idk I barely skated by let's google it'

• Locked thread