Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot

Wuhao posted:

lol public school student spotted

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Moridin why are you trashing around like a child when every one of your questions can be answered with 5 seconds on google? The big myth around homeschooling is that it turns kids into drooling autistics because of... anecdotal reasons. The fact that kids who have social problems already are homeschooled for that very reason doesn't seem to factor in very much. Oh yeah also because I saw it on South Park. Yet all the studies I've seen say "not really"

http://murphylibrary.uwlax.edu/digital/jur/2002/koehler-langness-pietig-stoffel-wyttenbach.pdf

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Beef Turret posted:

Moridin why are you trashing around like a child when every one of your questions can be answered with 5 seconds on google? The big myth around homeschooling is that it turns kids into drooling autistics because of... anecdotal reasons. The fact that kids who have social problems already are homeschooled for that very reason doesn't seem to factor in very much. Oh yeah also because I saw it on South Park. Yet all the studies I've seen say "not really"

http://murphylibrary.uwlax.edu/digital/jur/2002/koehler-langness-pietig-stoffel-wyttenbach.pdf

Because those graphs in particular were stupid.

Otherwise yeah you're probably right. I've known a few home school kids irl and they were all chill. A little shy/reserved but that's not a big deal at all.

Although I wish people would take an interest in politics so we can fix this poo poo instead of everyone just going 'fine I'll take my ball and go home' until we have some crazy fractured impossible to regulate educational system which ends up finally getting gutted by the GOP so private education can make money.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Oh god there's a small chance my children will end up like those amish kids on teevee. Better send them off to public school so theyll become dependent on institutional authority and have their self-seeking and creativity atrophy. Then they can languish in servile labor to the jews like all the others

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

afterhours posted:

I've worked with all grade levels and the home school kids are always loving weird. Being home schooled is like having a personality disorder. Teachers warn each other or explain away behaviors by saying "he's home schooled."

The home school kids are terrified of people their own age, so they cling to adults. Even at the high school level. They're so withdrawn and awkard, I always feel sorry for them. Last week I was part of a guild doing art demonstrations for 2nd-4th graders in the school district. Every school showed up. The kids were fun, enthusiastic, and chatty. Everything we showed them got an "oooh" and an "ahhh" and lots of questions. Then the home school "alliance" rolled through, with their assigned instructor and 2-3 parents/grandparents guarding each child. The home school kids stared at the floor in terror every time I made eye contact and the parents made the "ooooh" and "awwwww" sounds and asked questions in weird baby voices in an attempt to get their kids engaged.

I once had a home school kid hang out with me during lunch. He nervously asked a lot of personal questions. Then he apologized and said "I'm sorry, I know this seems like we're on a date. I'm glad we're friends."

He sounds cute. I don't get why you're being nasty.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Beef Turret posted:

lol is this like an undergrad's first research assignment or something?

The abstract also says: "However, due to various limitations of the study, the results of the study cannot be generalized to the public as a whole."

Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005
I had :tenbux:

Beef Turret posted:

Oh god there's a small chance my children will end up like those amish kids on teevee. Better send them off to public school so theyll become dependent on institutional authority and have their self-seeking and creativity atrophy. Then they can languish in servile labor to the jews like all the others

What..what did jews have to do with anything? Is there something you'd like to share with the class that you never attended?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_homeschooled_people

Spoiler: most of the people on this list who are alive are train wrecks.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

ArmZ posted:

lol is this like an undergrad's first research assignment or something?

The abstract also says: "However, due to various limitations of the study, the results of the study cannot be generalized to the public as a whole."

It's just the first thing that came up on google. I don't have journal access anymore but nothing I read suggested that homeschooling fucks you up socially, just the opposite in fact. Here's an article that's a commentary on a bunch of recent research. Almost all of it is glowing especially on the social scales. The opposition has nothing except anecdotes

Wuhao
Apr 22, 2002

Pimpin' Lenin
Does anyone over the age of 25 even look at educational background to figure out how weird someone is? You've got everything you need to poo poo-talk and prejudge people just with their race, gender, age and occupation.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I dunno, I think the number and extreme severity of goons in this thread who were homeschooled is really driving the nails into the coffin harder than anything else.

Also, everyone should def read the one-paragraph abstract of the study that Beef Turret posted that he hilariously thinks makes his points seem legitimate, so that we can all draw closer to what a stupid, stupid, loudmouth, ignorant, stupid, head-up-rear end stupid dumb wrong piece of stupid poo poo he really is because holy poo poo

I just don't understand, do large numbers of you people live in areas where you can't just buy a gun and blow your loving brains out?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What about the fact that if you homeschool your kid you're a giant cockblock depriving them of all sorts of poo poo that public school/activity provides that is secondary to the education?

Like if you were homeschooled when did you have your first kiss? Are you aware of what's popular or mainsteam or are you an outsider looking in at the culture of your own generation? If you like a certain type of music who takes you to shows? Did you ever have LAN parties?

Idk man it seems like a huge price to pay.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Moridin920 posted:

lol these are always some great cherry picked stats

Also not sure that the less than 10% difference in graduation rates is statistically significant, good thing they didn't link to anything anywhere so I can see how the study was done and how they reached their numbers.

Well you see, the people who made these charts were homeschooled and don't actually know how to do research and cite sources.

Also, I knew some people who had a niece that was being homeschooled by her mom. The niece, who was 13 iirc, could still hardly read and her mom was the one who did and submitted all the work to whatever homeschool company they were using.

I actually did know a girl who was being homeschooled by bible thumping parents when I was 12. She was actually pretty cool. But she also had to sneak over to friends' houses in order to watch disney movies because her parents thought that the beast from "Beauty and the Beast" was a symbol of satan and that "Aladdin" was promoting black magic. I think I annoyed her by saying, "But...magic isn't real," repeatedly. It was really confusing to me that people would see magic in a cartoon and not understand that it was fiction. I hope she continued realizing that her parents were weird and grew up to be normal and well-adjusted.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Mentioning a homeschool company now makes me think this whole movement is a tea party like side attempt to privatize education (especially targeted at people with money slash white people)

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Beef Turret posted:

It's just the first thing that came up on google. I don't have journal access anymore but nothing I read suggested that homeschooling fucks you up socially, just the opposite in fact. Here's an article that's a commentary on a bunch of recent research. Almost all of it is glowing especially on the social scales. The opposition has nothing except anecdotes

i'm not reading that but i know it doesnt control for ses

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

There's homeschool groups that take their kids out together to have fun and socialize. School isn't the only social venue for kids you know

Bored posted:

Well you see, the people who made these charts were homeschooled and don't actually know how to do research and cite sources.

They do cite their sources, I just left them out because it's a boring image of urls. The only reason most goons are against homeschooling is because christians are all for it. That's it. If rethuglicans are for it then it must be bad. The most offensive thing to a goon isn't people getting scammed by the school system or bullied to death, it's that there's people out there who won't pay tribute to the altar of the Institution

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Moridin920 posted:

Mentioning a homeschool company now makes me think this whole movement is a tea party like side attempt to privatize education (especially targeted at people with money slash white people)

I have no clue if it's a company or association or what. The person telling me about their niece just said that the mom does the work and turns it in online once a week.

Beef Turret posted:

There's homeschool groups that take their kids out together to have fun and socialize. School isn't the only social venue for kids you know

They do cite their sources, I just left them out because it's a boring image of urls. The only reason most goons are against homeschooling is because christians are all for it. That's it. If rethuglicans are for it then it must be bad. The most offensive thing to a goon isn't people getting scammed by the school system or bullied to death, it's that there's people out there who won't pay tribute to the altar of the Institution

Actually I'm just arguing with you because I was raised Jewish and am low on slave labor. If I can convince a bunch of strangers on an internet forum that public school is awesome, I will have more slaves to choose from in the future. More slaves to choose from means lower prices and you know how us Jews love to save money.

Bored fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 19, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Beef Turret posted:

It's different when parents aren't organizing your social life for you and always present in the background.

And it's a little weird to want to indoctrinate your kid without giving them a chance to decide for themselves to the point that you create a hugbox echochamber to isolate them in. If we're gonna be against extremist religious fanatics that should apply as much to Christians as it does to Muslims.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
of course he's an idiot, he never even went to loving school

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Beef Turret posted:

They do cite their sources, I just left them out because it's a boring image of urls.

Are you loving kidding? You threw up a pile of info that stinks to high heaven but left out the sources because they're boring? And you're still not going to let us take a look?

Then you posted a report that you think backs up your claims but actually says in plain black and white that studies on this poo poo are highly conflicted and that the results of the study can't be applied to the public at large? And that the bomb-rear end scores you homeschooled tard mugwumps get were exclusively reported by the hometards' parents?

And now you've got beef with how silly and unscientific us goons are about this subject. Okay.

Did a raccoon run off with the part of your brain that checks the other parts for damage?

Edit: And now you're serving up anecdotal blanket statements of your own ha ha just lol little guy

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

It's different when parents aren't organizing your social life for you and always present in the background.

And it's a little weird to want to indoctrinate your kid without giving them a chance to decide for themselves to the point that you create a hugbox echochamber to isolate them in. If we're gonna be against extremist religious fanatics that should apply as much to Christians as it does to Muslims.

They're not hovering around the kids like in the movies, it's like summer camp pretty much. Also they're gonna indoctrinate them anyway. But they're not amish, they'll be part of society by virtue of being kids with tv and internet and so on. You probably wouldn't accept the "think of the kids" argument when used to censor the web or w/e so why now? A few brainwashed dolts is a small price to pay for freedom of education

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Tujague posted:

Are you loving kidding? You threw up a pile of info that stinks to high heaven but left out the sources because they're boring? And you're still not going to let us take a look?

Then you posted a report that you think backs up your claims but actually says in plain black and white that studies on this poo poo are highly conflicted and that the results of the study can't be applied to the public at large? And that the bomb-rear end scores you homeschooled tard mugwumps get were exclusively reported by the hometards' parents?

And now you've got beef with how silly and unscientific us goons are about this subject. Okay.

Did a raccoon run off with the part of your brain that checks the other parts for damage?

You're right I should have brought all the facts of a wikipedia to the table right away you loving clown

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Okay well that excellent point aside, show me the sources for any of that loving garbage

Edit: in case you can't remember the poo poo you make up on a minute-by-minute basis, you said you had them

Edit: Mr. Dumb gently caress's next trick will be to cite the two studies performed by the Home School Legal Defense Association's two cherry-picked self-selected parent-administered parent-reported comedy numbers. He will never and can never catch on to the massive, obvious problems with these studies.

I am the retard whisperer.

Tujague fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 19, 2015

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Bored posted:

I actually did know a girl who was being homeschooled by bible thumping parents when I was 12. She was actually pretty cool. But she also had to sneak over to friends' houses in order to watch disney movies because her parents thought that the beast from "Beauty and the Beast" was a symbol of satan and that "Aladdin" was promoting black magic. I think I annoyed her by saying, "But...magic isn't real," repeatedly. It was really confusing to me that people would see magic in a cartoon and not understand that it was fiction. I hope she continued realizing that her parents were weird and grew up to be normal and well-adjusted.

Had home schooled twins (brother and sister) who started public school freshman year of high school who's parents were like this. They weren't allowed to have TV's or radios all they had was a record player, this was in the late 90's for reference.

The brother ended up knocking up and marrying a girl sophomore year...they were still married when we graduated so yeah. Went out with the sister for awhile it was a lot of sneaking around and really great sex.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Had home schooled twins (brother and sister) who started public school freshman year of high school who's parents were like this. They weren't allowed to have TV's or radios all they had was a record player, this was in the late 90's for reference.

they made their kids the only thing worse than zealots -- hipsters!

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

lordoftheT posted:

There was a kid in my English class last year in high school who I am pretty sure was homeschooled. He was a giant nerd and would read Flashman novels in class and would always get mad if the teacher tried to talk to him. Everything that came out of his mouth was textbook neckbeard trying to act like a 19th century member of the aristocracy. Other than that he was really boring and never had any friends.

this kid owns. and definitely isn't me. no sir.

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot

Horniest Manticore posted:

they made their kids the only thing worse than zealots -- hipsters!

i bet they were force feeding there kids carmel macchiattos!

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot

psyopmonkey posted:

I was forcibly home schooled. I wanted to go to regular school but my retarded oval office of a mother wouldnt let me.

Dont homeschool your kids or they will turn out to be a weird cat people/trannies/pickle juice drinkers.

same :smith:

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Well, don't let the fact that you two were both educated via babysitting in an isolated environment by stupid crazy dipshit mutants back either of you off your proud roles as the forum's resident stereotypes of, respectively, trannies being insane barracks rear end-rape victims who need to be institutionalized and MRAs being deeply socially crippled, fear-crazed embarrassing faggots

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot

Tujague posted:

Well, don't let the fact that you two were both educated via babysitting in an isolated environment by stupid crazy dipshit mutants back either of you off your proud roles as the forum's resident stereotypes of, respectively, trannies being insane barracks rear end-rape victims who need to be institutionalized and MRAs being deeply socially crippled, fear-crazed embarrassing faggots

please don't call me an mra just because i post their slogans for negative attention

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Tujague posted:

That sure is a lot of words.

:rolleyes:

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Tujague posted:

Someone left the markov chain generator running on a human being to english phrasebook

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy
I knew a girl in high school who was homeschooled and was into anal :shrug:

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Beef Turret posted:

Someone left the markov chain generator running on a human being to english phrasebook

Did you ever get around to reading the abstract from that report you posted that contradicts everything you appear to think, dumb guy?

Still having trouble finding those sources you totally had, huh? They were right there a second ago!

Seems like any superior educational environment would have made you a little quicker at kiddie-pool bullshit like this, doesn't it? I mean, I was educated in a lowly public school and flushing you out as a stupid liar is a snap so far.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
i had a buddy who was homeschooled and he was gregarious and p. cool up until the time he showed me a gif on 4chan showing a bunch of people kicking a dog to death and he giggled the entire time

Beef Turret posted:

i feel like this is a wicked burn but i'm not having any reaction

i must have been homeschooled, i guess

cram me sideways fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 19, 2015

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
this thread is great, voted 5. keep it up homeschooled kids

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Tujague posted:

Did you ever get around to reading the abstract from that report you posted that contradicts everything you appear to think, dumb guy?

Still having trouble finding those sources you totally had, huh? They were right there a second ago!

Seems like any superior educational environment would have made you a little quicker at kiddie-pool bullshit like this, doesn't it? I mean, I was educated in a lowly public school and flushing you out as a stupid liar is a snap so far.

You seem to be hallucinating. The abstract doesn't contradict anything I've said, it only says the data can't be generalized to the entire population. That's common. Also don't spas out just because I didn't post every slide. Here they are

Here's a bunch of words from the review I posted that also supports my view. Not one that I've read supports the opposition, they rely exclusively on anecdotal evidence

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Voted Alligator posted:

i was homeschooled aND NOW i post on somethingawful.com ?

same. also 24 years old and never had a girlfriend. on the plus side i have a college degree.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

KiteAuraan posted:

same. also 24 years old and never had a girlfriend. on the plus side i have a college degree.

way to miss the point of college brosef

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

Beef Turret posted:

Hmm yes tell me more about the jews you well adjusted member of society you

• Locked thread