Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

My wife is dead set on homeschooling. I brought up this thread and she got pretty mad at me. :-(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Beef Turret posted:

It's good to read through the fistful of pathetic anecdotes itt, but if anyone's curious about reality

Oh... lol

My favorite is how "proficiency in U.S. History" and "Dissatisfaction in the American school system" are compared side by side, when the only meaningful comparison would be to show the U.S. history figures for homeschooled kids (or satisfaction in the American School System by public schooled kids).

Comparing two unrelated statistics is exactly the kind of blunder I'd expect from a homeschool.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I attended an inner city high school with metal detectors and everything, AMA.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

P-Mack posted:

My wife is dead set on homeschooling. I brought up this thread and she got pretty mad at me. :-(

You married an idiot. That shits gonna happen when you get hitched to the first thing willing to be around you for more than an hour.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
lol almost all those sources come from other Homeschool positive websites. Great research you did there, quoting an article from a website that quotes another website that posts a dead link of two academic journals.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

P-Mack posted:

if you brought it up like "babe, look at this thread on somethingawful and what these people have to say" then you're both idiots.

moral: don't cite somethingawful as reasons why something should or should not happen.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Cole posted:

if you brought it up like "babe, look at this thread on somethingawful and what these people have to say" then you're both idiots.

moral: don't cite somethingawful as reasons why something should or should not happen.

If only gbs came in infographic form.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I get these from blogs and comments sections of homeschool articles. Alongside them are plenty of testimonials about homeschool kids who turned out normal, but those aren't funny:

"Once when I was over for lunch, eight-year-old denny was to say grace. Halfway through, he stuttered just a little and began to cry. Not just cry. He wailed. Danny became furious with him and reached across the table and smacked him in the face as hard as he could. `that's just how they are, son,' their mother said matter-of-factly. Danny and Denny would cry, sometimes for no reason. Once Danny started sobbing after a kid asked him if he had seen Home Improvement the night before.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
"In this homeschool co-op unit, each kid was to prepare and perform a monologue as a historical figure from the Civil War. I chose to be a train conductor from the North, which seemed benign enough. My white classmate, though, decided to be a slave. This meant he wore blackface, stood in front of the class, and put on a horrifically offensive slave accent. `I's a cotton-pickin' slave. Sho is! And we slaves looooooove cornbread!'

Later, we performed our monologue a second time, in front of our families. My friend's mother decided that there was a problem with his monologue: The paint used for blackface wasn't black enough. He performed the exact same bit... and all the parents in the room cheered and applauded. "That was the best one," one of them said ."

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I enjoy how it only takes a few pages for homeschooled weirdos to show up and vehemently argue on a dead gay internet forum that they are not weird and are totally normal and social people

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
I'd rather homeschool than send my kids to some garbage school district but I'm lucky enough to not have to deal with that. They go to good schools.

gibb3h
Jul 15, 2014

I'm not sure homeschooling is much of a thing in the UK, maybe because of the much higher population density? Pretty sure I've never met any anyway :shrug:

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Beef Turret posted:

They're not the source they're the ones who put together the charts. But you're right, there's no way these guys are telling the truth because they're your ideological enemies

Yes, that's why I distrusted BP about the Gulf Oil Spill too, because they're my ideological enemies. :rolleyes:

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

gibb3h posted:

I'm not sure homeschooling is much of a thing in the UK, maybe because of the much higher population density? Pretty sure I've never met any anyway :shrug:

you've probably seen them but not met them because you're of the world.

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful
I was homeschooled. We didn't have a television or a social group.

Roughly a year into it, my mother (a real go-getter that one) just kind of gave up on the entire affair, but didn't put us in school. Coincidentally, I got unfettered access to the internet two years after that. I ended up with a decent education I guess, because the first standardized test I took was a community college entrance exam, and only had to take remedial algebra. The semester after that I took some precalc and trig and did ok.

Knowing about molecules and period tables and poo poo doesn't do you a goddamn thing for living in the real world though, and acclimating to that took a few painful years. The only socialization we had was either through infrequent "home school group" adventures or, much more frequently, interaction with our crazy bird people customers at the bird store we ran. A grave injustice.

However, one of the families at "Home school group" had a bunch of really attractive kids despite their religious fervor, and the following occured:

One went to Bible College to become a nurse, became engaged to a fine young Christian man, and has like 3 kids.

One went to Germany to work on a horse farm or something, came back, and is getting a Master's in infectious disease transmission or something / has a dopey looking fiance she runs marathons with.

I don't care about the rest of the kids because those were the only two I wanted to gently caress.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Rigel posted:

Knowing about molecules and period tables and poo poo doesn't do you a goddamn thing for living in the real world though, and acclimating to that took a few painful years.

Well there is the whole Science thing, where you don't make political decisions that sabotage and burn the country to the ground because they wanna teach Evilution.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Rigel posted:

I was homeschooled. We didn't have a television or a social group.

Roughly a year into it, my mother (a real go-getter that one) just kind of gave up on the entire affair, but didn't put us in school. Coincidentally, I got unfettered access to the internet two years after that. I ended up with a decent education I guess, because the first standardized test I took was a community college entrance exam, and only had to take remedial algebra. The semester after that I took some precalc and trig and did ok.

Knowing about molecules and period tables and poo poo doesn't do you a goddamn thing for living in the real world though, and acclimating to that took a few painful years. The only socialization we had was either through infrequent "home school group" adventures or, much more frequently, interaction with our crazy bird people customers at the bird store we ran. A grave injustice.

However, one of the families at "Home school group" had a bunch of really attractive kids despite their religious fervor, and the following occured:

One went to Bible College to become a nurse, became engaged to a fine young Christian man, and has like 3 kids.

One went to Germany to work on a horse farm or something, came back, and is getting a Master's in infectious disease transmission or something / has a dopey looking fiance she runs marathons with.

I don't care about the rest of the kids because those were the only two I wanted to gently caress.

Anyone can always tell who was homeschooled because they don't understand that school is more about learning how to socialize and work with others than learning how to memorize things or take tests.

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful

satanic splash-back posted:

Anyone can always tell who was homeschooled because they don't understand that school is more about learning how to socialize and work with others than learning how to memorize things or take tests.

My Q-Face posted:

Well there is the whole Science thing, where you don't make political decisions that sabotage and burn the country to the ground because they wanna teach Evilution.

Don't homeschool your kids send them to inner city schools like as seen in the documentary The Substitute 4: Failure is Not an Option because that's literally a better choice.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Rigel posted:

Don't homeschool your kids send them to inner city schools like as seen in the documentary The Substitute 4: Failure is Not an Option because that's literally a better choice.

yeah poor people are automatically worse people, just like anyone who has skin darker than mine

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I went to public school and it was like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqr24Mfbw2g

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
homeschooling can work, but I think the odds are against it as most people are dumber than you would believe

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

satanic splash-back posted:

yeah poor people are automatically worse people, just like anyone who has skin darker than mine

I also lived in Chicago and spent time in the south side lol @ u if you want to ignore the institutional racism that leads poor inner city communities to have bad schools. Treymane isn't joining the Latin Kings because he had every educational opportunity afforded to him, but Treymane had a worldview more grounded in reality than most homeschooled kids.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Monkey Fracas posted:

homeschooling can work, but I think the odds are against it as most people are dumber than you would believe

Also I feel like it takes a little objectivity to really be a good teacher. If you're too emotionally wrapped up in your kid (which is normal) to be able to give good constructive criticism OR if you're a douchebag that screams and yells when they do one little thing wrong all you're gonna do is gently caress them in the head.

Just because you can gently caress and shoot cum into a pussy doesn't automatically make you a capable parent let alone teacher.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

homescooling is old fashioned.

unschooling is the new hotness.

Null Profusion
Dec 30, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Moridin920 posted:

What about the fact that if you homeschool your kid you're a giant cockblock depriving them of all sorts of poo poo that public school/activity provides that is secondary to the education?

Like if you were homeschooled when did you have your first kiss? Are you aware of what's popular or mainsteam or are you an outsider looking in at the culture of your own generation? If you like a certain type of music who takes you to shows? Did you ever have LAN parties?

Idk man it seems like a huge price to pay.

Plenty of homeschooled kids get messed up and deprived of a social life, but public school is by no means a guarantee of normalcy. I've been public schooled all my life, had my first kiss in my mid 20's, completely missed out on, misunderstood and disliked pop culture of my generation, never went to a concert until my 30s and never attended a LAN party despite being a big PC gaming nerd. Some folks are just socially awkward regardless of where they happen to be.

Now I'm married with two kids and a dead end career. I'd pass for normal if you don't watch me too close.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
every single home school kid ive ever met has been a socially stunted weird fucker so i mean if you want to doom your kids to be at best goons then sure why not

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
I lived in a condo next to people that "homeschooled" and I'm pretty sure that the two children were just really hosed up and borderline feral and their parents just couldn't/wouldn't make them go to school.

They were super white trash though; the dad literally picked through dumpsters at night as his job. I think he might have robbed construction sites also. I'd run into him when he was unloading junk from his truck early in the morning all the time.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
"High school is just a transitional time for both parents and students. 9th grade was one of the hardest for all of our children as it was the year we turned their schooling over to them. We placed all the material that was to be covered in front of them and let them schedule it out and be reponsible for the work, grading and reworking as needed. We handled the tests only.

It was tough on all of them, and overwhelming for a few."

"His skin was paper white, in Georgia, in August. He hadn't been out in the sun in months. Not only did he not understand the rules of baseball, he was, at the age of about 12, physically unable to throw an object. Loved to talk about Star Wars, though."

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Beef Turret posted:

Moridin why are you trashing around like a child when every one of your questions can be answered with 5 seconds on google? The big myth around homeschooling is that it turns kids into drooling autistics because of... anecdotal reasons. The fact that kids who have social problems already are homeschooled for that very reason doesn't seem to factor in very much. Oh yeah also because I saw it on South Park. Yet all the studies I've seen say "not really"

http://murphylibrary.uwlax.edu/digital/jur/2002/koehler-langness-pietig-stoffel-wyttenbach.pdf

These numbers are hilariously meaningless if we don't know where they come from. Not like that matters, this only exists to help homeschoolers convince themselves they aren't making a terrible choice, and coincidentally they're the only ones who are dumb enough to buy it.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i went to an all male boys boarding school and had lots of sex with the lads

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

ArmZ posted:

lol is this like an undergrad's first research assignment or something?

The abstract also says: "However, due to various limitations of the study, the results of the study cannot be generalized to the public as a whole."

that paper is 5 pages long lol

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Check out these FACTS:

___________Homeschooled_____Public Schooled

Learning: ___86%__________________54%

History:_____75%__________________20%

Math:_______88%__________________45%

Books:______89%__________________30%

Athletics:____69%__________________58%

Jesus:______120%_________________13%

Obama:_____1%___________________98%

I think the numbers speak for themselves :smug:

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Applewhite posted:

Check out these FACTS:

___________Homeschooled_____Public Schooled

Learning: ___86%__________________54%

History:_____75%__________________20%

Math:_______88%__________________45%

Books:______89%__________________30%

Athletics:____69%__________________58%

Jesus:______120%_________________13%

Obama:_____1%___________________98%

I think the numbers speak for themselves :smug:

Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005
I had :tenbux:

Beef Turret posted:

If there was any chance whatsoever that this thread wouldve been good I wouldn't have posted gay charts in it. Cya :D

You get your rear end back here and tell me about the jews, goddamnit. I demand enlightenment, Beef Turret.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

Beef Turret posted:

They're not the source they're the ones who put together the charts. But you're right, there's no way these guys are telling the truth because they're your ideological enemies

You didn't get nearly enough mercury at birth

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

how have people not figured out beef turrets gimmick by now?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Applewhite posted:

I attended an inner city high school with metal detectors and everything, AMA.

I did too. I was actually also arrested at that school as well which kind of sucked.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Demonachizer posted:

I did too. I was actually also arrested at that school as well which kind of sucked.

What was the charge?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Applewhite posted:

What was the charge?

Possession of a class D substance in a school zone with intent to distribute.

Essentially I had bagged up pot at school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I mentioned music as part of a generation's culture but I think you guys focused on it a little too much. I meant like, everything involving your generation's culture. For example when I was a kid Pokemon had just come out and it was crazy popular and everyone had Pokemon cards and we all tried to get more/better cards than other kids and we all played the game on our Gameboys.

If you're homeschooled how do you know about poo poo like that? It's easier with the internet I suppose but lol if you grew up in the 90s and didn't have Tamagachis and Pogs and all that poo poo.

• Locked thread