Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
As someone not at all familiar with God Hand beyond it's reputation, it's pretty nice to have those gifs of the individual moves - I can appreciate how thoroughly you've broken the game over your knee in the videos, but it all the moves and techniques kind of blur together to someone like me who's unfamiliar with the game. It's nice to see what the look like when not being instantaneously guard-cancelled or strung into longer or more powerful attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

I'll make gifs of every moves in the game later then, that way everyone will see how they look in motion.

Cossack
Mar 2, 2012

You see Sigmund here.
Sigmund hits you.
You die.
The Yes Man Kablaam is, in fact, the greatest move in all of action game history, even though gifs don't do it proper justice.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

mkob posted:

Now hold, you made a lecture about how to beat a video game? What did that entail? What class was that project for exactly?

It was a manual I had to write for a Technical Writing class, something to use tables and images and captions. I figured I'd ride my God Hand kick and decided to incorporate a rundown of the game and a few extras as my topic. Things like the God Reels and the items were easy targets for the project specs.

mkob posted:

Also yeah I completely agree with you, the sound design in god hand is great, landing attacks feels very satisfying, there's a real weight to the animations as well and they almost look motion captured. I get the same feeling in Bayonetta with the Wicked Weaves and the way she screams her attacks.

Every time you counter a Fatty's charge I lose it with how fast they and other enemies are launched across the level. That and all the poses they make when you Chain Yanker Chan Yoinker them.

mkob posted:

The stun status lasts for 5 seconds, the duration is the same with every enemies in the game. You can land anything you want during this time.

Enemies get stunned after a set X number of hits. The damage/power of a move doesn't matter.

I don't know the exact number though, it might even vary between enemy types, so I did some testing with the training dummy at the arena and here's the results:

Oh my. I appreciate the math going into this, I'm fine not knowing exact numbers and it's good to know the Stun is just a time limit.

mkob posted:

You can land all 6 square move-slots only when you have the God Hand active, when an enemy is stunned or if you're playing on Easy/Normal.

Fair enough. I use the multi-hit attacks in the first slots as well, so it's not like the extra moves matter like you say. If nothing else I save a few thousand gold not buying them since it doesn't affect much either way looks like :v:

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 10, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Is that throwing knife type guy we see in the fairy challenge new? I don't remember noticing him before. Also, he bears more than a passing resemblance to an enemy in Final Fight, the granddaddy of brawlers.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Ok, dude, now you have to post the whole thing :v:

Choco1980 posted:

Is that throwing knife type guy we see in the fairy challenge new? I don't remember noticing him before. Also, he bears more than a passing resemblance to an enemy in Final Fight, the granddaddy of brawlers.

They're new enemies, the knife guy is actually formerly introduced in the next level (stage 2-3) while the zebra guy first appears in Stage 3. And yep God Hand takes a lot of inspiration from older brawler games.

e: What's the name of our boss

mkob fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 10, 2015

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
How long does the pummel prompt last? For me it was always a gamble to see how many hits I could get in and still be able to pummel. I was using a God Hand pummel as a crutch to beat the later bosses so it was pretty important.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

You mean how long does the circle prompt stays on-screen or how long does the actual pummel animation lasts? I've covered the former here in case you missed it. The stun status lasts 5 seconds, meaning you have 5 seconds to do whatever you want to an enemy before pressing circle to trigger a prompt (suplex, stinger, spanking, pummel, etc.)

As requested, here's every techniques I've been using so far, the video is 3 minutes long.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Zeikier posted:

Is the stun breakout and stun threshold the same amount of hits/not affected by the power and only by the amount of times they're hit?

In addition to what mkob said, I seem to remember that enemies recover their stun counter over time, i.e. throwing a jab once a minute for half an hour is never going to stun them. I could be wrong on that, though.

Zeikier posted:

I never used the Sushi. Are there any benefits to having longer combos or does it not matter in the long run if you have a good enough handle on the game?

You should always have longer combos because longer combos are cooler, efficiency be damned. Besides, you can always remove techniques from the extra slots whenever you want. You can play around with putting juggles, guard breakers, evade high attacks, etc if you're worried about enemies trying to guard mid-combo.

gigglefeimer fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 10, 2015

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

gigglefeimer posted:

In addition to what mkob said, I seem to remember that enemies recover their stun counter over time, i.e. throwing a jab once a minute for half an hour is never going to stun them. I could be wrong on that, though

Yup, that's how it works.

Update #14

Stage 2-3 Giant Enemy Crane (kicks only)

KMS 2-3 (feat. cartoon SFX)

Moveset used:

Moveset used in KMS video:

Face buttons:
Charged Punch
Right Roundhouse
Left Roundhouse
High Kick
Mule Kick

Square slots:
I have no idea

Map

Caption

New Enemies

Combat Adjudicators

A Combat Adjudicator is a special statue which appears in Devil May Cry 3 and Devil May Cry 4. It rates the stylishness of the attacks upon it, and once the player reaches a specific Style Rank, signified by the number of lit flames on the statue, the statue will break and reward the player with a Blue Orb Fragment.

Miscellaneous

Enemy pathfinding freakout taken from a video by my buddy Alps
Sony's Embarrassing E3 2006 Press Conference

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
The enemies do eventually stop spawning, I know this because I stayed near the entrance and kept fighting them until they did, like an exciting person. :downs:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The cartoon sound effects were pretty great, but my favorite bit was when that elite knife guy repeatedly ran right at you despite the fact that you're carrying a loving lamppost around.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
I remember there was a GODHAND website that had gifs (or maybe flash animations) of every single move in the game and would play the animation from the store/input menu when you clicked on them. I think that website is long dead now though.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Concordat posted:

I remember there was a GODHAND website that had gifs (or maybe flash animations) of every single move in the game and would play the animation from the store/input menu when you clicked on them. I think that website is long dead now though.

It's still up, you can create a combo by adding moves in a techniques menu, watch some roulette moves in motion and there's even a browser minigame attached to the website where you click on enemies to build up your god hand meter, which then lets you unlock wallpapers.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/godhand/main.html

vvvvv Thanks man

mkob fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 12, 2015

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com
Very much enjoying this LP. Beating this game on normal gave me a real feeling of accomplishment that I probably didn't feel again until the first time I beat Demons Souls, however many years later. It's a real treat watching how surgically you've been taking apart this game. I can't wait to see you take down my favorite boss fight in a few weeks.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ya know, I remember being sorta bad at Genji: Days of Blade. Its balance was really fucky. Like Yoshitsune was fine, but Benkei was always just slow enough with his weapons that enemies could score hits on. Shizuka was rad (though her weapons had different ranges and it was super important to use one that covered a wide area around her) and Buson was basically made out of tissue paper.
The gameplay was also super uninteresting. The Giant Enemy Crab meme is frankly more interesting than anything offered by the game itself. Especially since most bosses basically boiled down to "use kamui".
Or I mighta played the game wrong. it could go either way.

It was a pretty loving game though, I'll give it that much.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Well, now your avatar makes a whole lot more sense.

As a guy who hasn't played this game before, how does up-dodging work exactly? I'm guessing it involves mashing it repeatedly in order to keep the ducking animation going, but I'm wondering if there's more to it than that.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Press UP once on the right stick and you'll weave (and cancel an attack), mash and you'll continuously duck. Same goes with sidestepping and the backflip. That's pretty much it. There is however something pretty neat you can do with the sidesteps and I'll cover this in a later update, it involves cancelling a move with a sidestep, but then immediately cancelling it again with a move and then another sidestep cancel etc. etc. and it lets you sidestep dodge at the speed of light, similar to Nero's Table Hopper from DMC4.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Update #15

Demons don't appear randomly

:eng101: Time to debunk one of the many misconceptions people have regarding God Hand: Demons spawning.

tl;dr
The game decides WHEN and WHERE a demon will spawn:
-Every time you start a level or reload a level upon dying (every time there's a loading screen);
-Every time new enemy reinforcement appears (read = when enemies not initially present within a level appear);
-Every time you defeat a demon, the game decides where the next spawn will be;

The game knows, at all time, which enemy will spawn what demon and when.
There is no "50% chance that killing an enemy will spawn a demon" RNG statistics nonsense.

:eng101: You read that right.

Demon spawning seems random at first - you beat up a bunch of guys and a demon pops up out of nowhere at the worst possible moment. However, I can affirmatively say that you don't have to blame randomness for that. The demons' spawning rate is a variable decided at the start of/during a level, not by some sadistic RNG factor as you're playing the game. Somehow, even the official God Hand JP guidebook has it wrong:

Rough translation:
"Evil spirits (Demons) appear when you defeat a certain enemy or randomly after killing non-boss enemies. There are 4 Demon types each with different high movement speed and attack. You should kill them immediately with the God Hand. After you defeat one, another won't appear again until you kill 7 more things (wrong). Only one will appear at a time, but two can pop up on Lvl3 or higher (true)."

Appearance rate:
Mooks - 1/32
Elites - 1/18

(meaning you'll get a demon every 1/32 defeated mooks and 1/18 defeated Elites, which is wrong)

"Demon Appearance Order:
Stages that Evil Spirits appear on.

Stage 1: Purple Demons (Blade Demons on Die)
Stage 2: Purple Demons/Blade Demons
Stage 3 onward: Purple Demons/Blade Demons/Spike Demons
Stage 5 onward: Lvl3 or higher, all of them randomly"

:siren: Watch this video then come back for a more in-depth explanation :siren:

I've used stage 1-2 My Right Arm The God Hand for reference. I made a manual save before entering 1-2 and I save-state'd after the loading screen when I'm in control of Gene, then I went and beat up every enemies until a demon decided to pop up. If no demons appear, I restart the level by either dying or loading the same level with the manual save I did earlier, then I make a save-state after the loading screen again.

When a demon finally appears (let's say it comes from the elite guy in the middle) I load the save-state then beat him up again. No matter how many time I load the same save-state and beat up the same dude, a demon will spawn out of him.

Now that I've identified X dude, I go back to the title screen and load the level manually (or I restart the level by dying). Once the level starts, I make a save-state again and I go beat up the same X dude, except this time, either 1) he doesn't spawn a demon upon death 2) no demons spawn at all in the entire level or 3) it's a completely different enemy who spawns a demon.

As demonstrated in the video, this has nothing to do with RNG or pure Diablo II/XCOM/RPG statistics. Every time you start a level or reload it, the game arbitrarily decides the next demon spawning location and shuffles through different per-determined scenarios. Imagine a deck of card with each demon spawn scenarios printed of them. The game shuffles the demon spawning deck order around once more after you kill a demon and more importantly during levels with fixed enemy reinforcement, e.g. the two guys coming down the elevator from stage 1-2, the two guys who opens the giant door in stage 1-3 as well as the 3 guys in the air balloon, every single enemies who jump down the ceiling in stage 1-5 in the display glass case room of death, etc. these

Every time new reinforcement appears, the demon spawning deck gets shuffled again, and with the use of save-states you could totally know which enemy will spawn a demon. This obviously has no practical use when playing on consoles. Either way, saying that demon spawns is random isn't technically true. There's obviously some maths involved during the actual demon deck shuffling, but there's no "1/32" or "33% chance" statistics nonsense.

To sum up, the scenarios work like this:
Let's say there's 2 enemies in a level (enemy A and B), then this means 4 different scenarios can happen:

Scenario 1:
No demon spawn

Scenario 2:
Enemy A spawns Demon X (either Purple, Blade, Spike demon or Trident demon)

Scenario 3:
Enemy B spawns Demon X

Scenario 4:
Enemy A spawns Demon X and Enemy B spawns Demon Y

Let's say there's 2 enemies present in a level (enemy A and B) and a 3rd enemy reinforcement (enemy C) who will show up after fulfilling a random condition like opening a door or whatever, then this means 7+ different scenarios can happen:

Scenario 1:
No demon spawn

Scenario 2:
A spawns X

Scenario 3:
B spawns X

Scenario 4:
C spawns X

Scenario 5:
A spawns X and B spawns Y

Scenario 6:
A spawns X and C spawns Y

Scenario 7:
B spawns X and C spawns Y

And so on and so forth. This gets incredibly confusing the more enemies you have, but generally, only 2 demons tops can appear during a level, which could mean the demon spawn is capped to two, maybe 3.

vvvvvvv There are scripted spawns throughout the entire game, the maps from the official guide book will tell you where they are, like in stage 1-1 with the basic thug in the saloon and the fatty sitting on the villager near the exit, and stage 1-5 with the fatty upstairs on the bed with the two female villagers. Then there are some levels where you'll never have a single demon spawn like stage 2-2.

mkob fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Sep 23, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sooooo, it is random :crossarms:.
But pre-assigned rather than in real time.

You know I'd have expected there to be guaranteed demon spawns, alongside the pre-assigned demons.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Sooooo, it is random :crossarms:.
But pre-assigned rather than in real time.

You know I'd have expected there to be guaranteed demon spawns, alongside the pre-assigned demons.

There are a few guaranteed demon spawns in the game. The first two in the first level (the guy in the bar and the fat guy at the end) along with the fat guy up the stairs in Elvis' Crib.

I know there are a few more but those are the ones that immediately come to mind that we've seen.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Reminds me of the more crudely programmed early rpgs like Dragon Warrior, or Final Fantasy Legend 2, both of which I know process their encounter rates that way, predetermining it when you enter the field.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

Reminds me of the more crudely programmed early rpgs like Dragon Warrior, or Final Fantasy Legend 2, both of which I know process their encounter rates that way, predetermining it when you enter the field.

It's a good way to ensure that you'll get "encounters" (whether in a JRPG or with demons in God Hand) at a reasonable rate -- not none of them, but also not potentially having every single mook turn into a demon.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Huh, I thought ever demon spawn was scripted from a specific enemy.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure RE4 does the same thing regarding plaga headbursters, and it led to just as many unsubstantiated rumors in that game.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Being a procedurally chosen demon spawn makes sense; if it was truly random, you could have three or more demons at once from a single encounter.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Update #16

Stage 2-4 Beware The Arrow Bridge

KMS 2-4 will be in the next video update

Moveset used:

Map

Caption

Dragon Kick

The cutscene at the end looks weird on emulator, there's supposed to be a sepia tone filter over it but PCSX2 only renders the flashback cutscenes properly when using the Software video renderer which is very demanding for computers (at least mine.)

mkob fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 24, 2015

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
This is just wonderful. I'm enjoying the hell out of this.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Holy poo poo that was awesome. I lost it when I realized you were going to break all three guns the same way.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Loved the way you handled that bridge with the demon counters.

Ah, yes, the Dragon Kick. Among one of Bruce Lee's finest legacies.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Alien Arcana posted:

Holy poo poo that was awesome. I lost it when I realized you were going to break all three guns the same way.

Man, that was funny. I know these demons are actually a huge threat but you completely clownshoed that guy.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Now you're just showing off, mkob.

(Don't stop).

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I totally forgot that this game has a Chappelle's Show reference.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That poor demon, born to be used as a projectile. :smith:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I don't think I'll ever get tired of watching you lure baddies into hurting each other. There's something so satisfying about it in this game.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

The bridge was wonderful. Way to troll the demons!

Also wow, a very tiny detail just clicked for me in that flashback: When Bruce hacked off Gene's arm, I never caught his entire statement "It's just another useless human arm," showing they've been cutting arms off looking for the God Hand. I always thought he randomly hacked it off cuz he was a dick then insulted Gene's arm to throw salt in the wound.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

notZaar posted:

I totally forgot that this game has a Chappelle's Show reference.

Either I missed it or I don't remember the show that well, what was the reference?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

bman in 2288 posted:

Either I missed it or I don't remember the show that well, what was the reference?

What did the five fingers say to the face? :v:

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Update #17

:siren: There's a video of Arena Challenge #16 at the bottom of this post, make sure to check it out :siren:

Warm Up Room and Fighting Ring

In between stages, you'll get the option to enter the Warm Up Room to spar against a training dummy, as well as tackle on up to 51 challenges at the Fighting Ring.

Head straight ahead near the kiosks to have a chat with two ladies wearing bunny suits.

Lady on the left:
"Take the techniques on sale in the shop for a test spin. You can set up your techniques as normal using the Techniques menu. Once you leave, your techniques return to their previous setting."

Tutorial message:
"While sparring, you can use all the moves you'd like without fear of death! However, when you leave the area, you return to your old self."

Lady on the right:
"Entry into the ring is free. You may enter the ring after you have completed Stage 1. Prizes are not awarded for defeating enemies more than once."

You can customize your Techniques after talking to the lady on the left and even try them out against a live training dummy acting as an opponent.

The training dummy appears to be based on Mokujin from Tekken, who is in turn based on the danger of the titular obstacle in the Jackie Chan movie Shaolin Chamber of Death (aka Shaolin Wooden Men, or Shao Lin mu ren xiang). Click here to watch a clip from the movie where Jackie fights a bunch of Wooden Men. If you're reading this post from the future, the video link might be dead.

The training dummy shares the same moveset as a basic thug. You can practice your techniques against him, with unlimited roulette orbs and health, however you still need to attack/dodge/taunt to get God Hand meter back.

The fighting arena is a nice way to stretch your fighting legs and earn some money. As you progress through the game, new fights become available. There are 51 bouts in all, and it goes without saying that the farther down the list you go, the harder they get. All fights are fought with prefigured life gauge percentages (not sizes), roulette orbs, and difficulty levels no matter what game mode you're on, but your techniques and special moves are the same. Fights 41-50 will not be available until you beat the game and finish fight 1-40.

I will not show off every single fights because honestly, this is pointless and counter-productive. All the fights are essentially the same, you just beat people up which isn't super interesting to watch since it's so repetitive. That would also be very hard for me style for 51 fights in a row.

Having said that, I leave you with a ~stylish~ video of Arena Challenge #16 where I beat the poo poo out of 3 demons at the same time. During this fight, you're facing 3 enemies (an elite guy wearing a zebra suit, a clown fatty and a circus lady) and as you hit each of them, they will instantly transform into Purple Demons.

Arena Challenge #16

Kung Fu tango

mkob fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jun 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Are you at least going to show off #51?

• Locked thread