Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Whorelord posted:

its good because of the banter between david mitchell and lee mack

also when the two of them have to make up absolute bollocks

hth

yeah true, and Rob is a really good host

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

XMNN posted:

i love rob brydon and rhod gilbert when hes on

i think i just like welsh people?

Do you like me? This may be a chance to test your hypothesis.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
would i lie to you has great people but isn't very good. I think it's just that the guests are often people off the apprentice and other poo poo tier notables, because it can be good if they have good guests. The best one I saw was bob mortimer telling a rambling story about getting arrested while trying to find the gulf stream and wearing a halloween mask for warmth truth.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
you seem ok id have to judge the quality of your accent. would you describe it as lilting?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm from Cardiff so probably not

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

a pipe smoking dog posted:

would i lie to you has great people but isn't very good. I think it's just that the guests are often people off the apprentice and other poo poo tier notables, because it can be good if they have good guests. The best one I saw was bob mortimer telling a rambling story about getting arrested while trying to find the gulf stream and wearing a halloween mask for warmth truth.

i think they sometimes make up poo poo to make interesting truths and yea usually there's one guest who feels like they shouldn't be there

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Moola posted:

yeah true, and Rob is a really good host

Rob is a lot better on wilty than he is on qi, agreed.

I liked hennig vein or whatever but he isnt regular enough to rank just like coren, get over it.

I have it on good authority that thomas bbc is keeping a close eye on this list for future bookings.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

hemale in pain posted:

i think they sometimes make up poo poo to make interesting truths and yea usually there's one guest who feels like they shouldn't be there

I completely believed it because it's Bob Mortimer.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Rob Brydon starred in a little known show call Rob Brydon's Annually Retentive which was about him being a failed panel show host.

It's really good you should watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrvT2FRgY3k

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm starting to grow concerned about Stephen Fry's awful taste in neckties. It's gotten really bad in recent seasons of QI.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeQwrEsCjnI

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Ddraig posted:

Rob Brydon starred in a little known show call Rob Brydon's Annually Retentive which was about him being a failed panel show host.

It's really good you should watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrvT2FRgY3k

it's good

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Entropic posted:

I'm starting to grow concerned about Stephen Fry's awful taste in neckties. It's gotten really bad in recent seasons of QI.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeQwrEsCjnI

Barry Humphries commented on it, which goes to show how bad it is.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
at least he cut his hair

i've done some research on the cardiff accent and unfortunately it isnt as good as rhods

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

imo they should end would I lie to you and put the captains and rob on have i got news for you instead

E: sue perkins deserves to be higher, vegas and noble should be lower, coren should be on there especially for the qi/only connect rivalry

would like to see a mitchell and coren episode with an unbelievable truth vs qi vs only connect sequence

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
thats possibly the best idea I've ever heard

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
David Mitchell for perma HIGNFY host

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
What is the deal with ricky gervais? I like his standup but nothing he did was that great aside from that, he supposedly wrote some great stuff sold by better actors (sir ian mckellen on acting) but i half sispect stephen merchant is behind that. We should be glad hes not on the panel show circuit hed be worse than the cancer that killed him famil.

his laugh is worse than jimmy carr ffs

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

jimmy carrs laugh is delightful he sounds like an excited seal

Nuage
Jan 21, 2005

I'm Crap posted:

vicky coren :swoon:

Victoria* Coren.

She never refers to herself as Vicky. And she seems a lot like a Victoria to me.

(Source: I am a longer name who doesn't mind being called a shorter name)

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
someone put it like he was funny when you thought he was really good at playing a smug beardy arsehole but then it turned out he was actually just a smug beardy arsehole

Nuage
Jan 21, 2005

Brony Hunter posted:

Put Katherine Ryan down in the Token Canadian Tier.

Put her down in the UGH tier. What a pretentious gently caress.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

how me a frog posted:

What is the deal with ricky gervais? I like his standup but nothing he did was that great aside from that, he supposedly wrote some great stuff sold by better actors (sir ian mckellen on acting) but i half sispect stephen merchant is behind that. We should be glad hes not on the panel show circuit hed be worse than the cancer that killed him famil.

his laugh is worse than jimmy carr ffs

Stephen Merchant probably did have more to do with the success of Extras/The Office than Ricky since absolutely everything Ricky has done solo has been completely loving dire. Completely awful, horrendous poo poo. He was literally the worst part of the XFM shows/podcasts aswell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNFV4ZuUK68

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Nuage posted:

that word doesn't mean what you think it means

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Ddraig posted:

Stephen Merchant probably did have more to do with the success of Extras/The Office than Ricky since absolutely everything Ricky has done solo has been completely loving dire. Completely awful, horrendous poo poo. He was literally the worst part of the XFM shows/podcasts aswell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNFV4ZuUK68

But while he is a chubster he is not as ugly as smerch, king of the insects. It really makes someone think, maybe.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Nuage posted:

I wouldn't call her pretentious, just unfunny and a bit of a try hard.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Panel Shows aren't really hugely indicative of how funny people can be. Some do worse than others, and non-British people tend to not really get them.

I saw Katherine Ryan when she first went to the Edinburgh Fringe and her show was brilliant.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

how me a frog posted:

Yeah but I felt bad not having any women in the good tiers... :/

Victoria Coren (-Mitchell) should at least be mid-tier. She can be top tier on her night.

Also that Irish bird that is now intermittently on all the panel shows and Sarah Pascoe. Both surely mid-tier.

Rich Hall should be in god tier, if only for that completely different program where he called Miley Cyrus lots of rude names shortly before this became a popular activity.

I'm not clear whether Katherine Ryan is basically a FYAD poster who really inhabits her role, or if she is actually batshit crazy but has turned it into a career as a comedian (see also Sarah Silverman?). I assumed the former but then seeing her on Room 101 (there was nothing else on) I wasn't so sure.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Katherine Ryan had really push parents who basically made her enter child pagents when she was a kid and such so she's probably slightly hosed up from that. She's a little bit crazy and is really into certain conspiracy theories, but mainly to do with weird celebrity deaths.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Emma Thompson had some good anecdotes about messing with Stephen Fry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tpCGvcqO1U

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
I'd rank Sarah Millican higher because I like her accent

Fluo
May 25, 2007

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Charles Dance

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Ddraig posted:

Katherine Ryan had really push parents who basically made her enter child pagents when she was a kid and such so she's probably slightly hosed up from that. She's a little bit crazy and is really into certain conspiracy theories, but mainly to do with weird celebrity deaths.

That room 101 episode was loving awkward as hell lol

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Jeremy Clarkson has done 12 episodes and is quite funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nCah0meifc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5EsRrAPvyo

Not a PETA member probably.

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011
Sarah Millican is at least mid tier if just for (and imagine this said in an adorable welsh accent):

quote:

It's only my first time on the show and they're already trying to get me to stick a scorpion up my noonie!

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
jo brand is a samey old toad

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Police Academy III posted:

Sarah Millican is at least mid tier if just for (and imagine this said in an adorable welsh accent):

it's weird to imagine that she has a welsh accent given that she's a geordie

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Your list is missing Brian Blessed. Your list is therefore fatally flawed.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Solice Kirsk posted:

Your list is missing Brian Blessed. Your list is therefore fatally flawed.

Brian Blessed can't be contained on a list. It's a given that he is untouchable.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
I'd bump up Dara to top tier personally. He was great in the earlier episodes. It was great when he was retroactively docked points for his answer on the triple point of water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Ddraig posted:

Panel Shows aren't really hugely indicative of how funny people can be. Some do worse than others, and non-British people tend to not really get them.

I saw Katherine Ryan when she first went to the Edinburgh Fringe and her show was brilliant.

Theyre pretty popular in australia too. we even had our own buzzcocks knock off for about ten years.

Also yeah dara goes to top tier. he's a know it all but keeps his answers funny and doesnt piss on forever about byzantine pottery or whatever like some of the other "smart" guests

Slugnoid fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 20, 2015

• Locked thread