Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kizeesh
Aug 1, 2005
Im right and you're an ass.
Hey guys,

A few years back, me and a couple of non-Goon pals set out to make a wee web series about Rock music fans.
We shot a pilot, I posted it up here for criticism, and we got a shedload of feedback; after which we re-drafted, partly re-cast and completely reshot the pilot, and the whole series.

I posted the trailer and series here at the tail end of 2013, each episode weekly as it went online. We got some fantastic feedback from you folks, and learned a lot from it.
So after about a year's on and off shooting, we've finished principal photography on Season 2. It's getting edited up and will start going online in June.

Here's the Trailer for Season 2:

And here are the aired Season 2 Episodes in order:

Episode 1: Creeping Death
Episode 2: Calling All Skeletons
Episode 3: The Crow and The Butterfly
Episode 4: Haunting Me
Episode 5: All The Small Things
Episode 6: The End Is The Beginning Is The End
Episode 7: Tears Into Wine
Episode 8: Seperate Ways

What I need from you guys (especially new viewers)

Does it look funny?
Does the trailer make sense?
Does this show look interesting?
Enough to start watching it or even go back and watch Season 1?

Also If you watched season 1:
Does this trailer address any concerns you had with the first season?
Here's the Season 1 Trailer for comparison

and the most important question: On the basis of this trailer, would you actually watch it, and potentially recommend it to pals?

As I said, we'll be putting the new season up online starting June 1st, and will be likely be constantly working on the editing & post on each episode until they're on the web. So don't think that criticism won't be heard and listened to. Although it goes without saying that since shooting is wrapped we won't be filming new scenes based on the recommendation!

Come at me Goons, you've made this show the way it is, far more than you could know!

kizeesh fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kizeesh
Aug 1, 2005
Hey guys,

Just a wee note to say that Episodes 1 & 2 of season 2 are now online
Episode 1 is more of a standalone special, while episode 2 is back into the plot of the series main.
I'd really like some feedback on them, and criticism.

This place has been one of the most instrumental voices in shaping the second season after we made the first. So genuinely, we are listening, and I've been feeding all the comments here to the writer and directors. So please, be honest!

Episode 1: Creeping Death

Episode 2: Calling All Skeletons

kizeesh
Aug 1, 2005
Hey guys,

It's a new week and there's a new Episode of Metalhedz out. This week the gang are down the pub, but it's not all fun and games.

Episode 3: The Crow and The Butterfly

I'd really really appreciate it if folks have any thoughts, suggestions, complaints or feedback, if they could let us know! I assume that since no-one is complaining that it's a vast improvement on last season and people love it, but I'd hate to be wrong!

Give me your thinks!

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
It's not good. You have been working on this in some form or another for six years and there's no excuse to still have these technical issues. Don't shoot coverage for a conversation as the sun is setting: it won't match what you shot an hour earlier. Give a listen to the audio before you release your show: many lines are completely inaudible for no reason (S2E3 9:30 onward). Write interesting scenes where there are stakes or humor or at least interesting visuals. This is just sitting around in basements/bars and mumbling. None of the characters or relationships are interesting enough to carry this kind of show. None of the actors are talented enough to pull off comedy (I'm sorry, but they're not).

I think you and your buddies made a show for you and your buddies.

kizeesh
Aug 1, 2005
Hi man, thanks for the feedback, I'm curious if you can be a bit more specific though.

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

It's not good. You have been working on this in some form or another for six years and there's no excuse to still have these technical issues.
Which technical issues are bothering you, you mentioned two issues, were there more?

quote:

Don't shoot coverage for a conversation as the sun is setting: it won't match what you shot an hour earlier.

It's really interesting that you mentioned this as literally no shots in the series were done during sunset. I'm guessing you mean the opening shots of Episode 1: creeping death, those were all shot between 10am and 2pm in the spring, then shot by shot graded & recoloured later in post to make it look like sunset, which is why the shots darken and become more orange as the scene progresses. There is a slight variance in that some shots are sunlit and others in cloudy shade, but it's Scotland! Weather is very changable. It actually rained, snowed, hailed and was blazing sunshine all on the same day while we were shooting that episode. It's good to know the sunset effects we used in post were convincing, although you feel we didn't nail it.

quote:

Give a listen to the audio before you release your show: many lines are completely inaudible for no reason (S2E3 9:30 onward).
As to the sound issues, yeah. I don't know what happened here. When the episode went live I noticed the drop in volume during the final scene of Episode 3, but it suddenly jumps back up for the final song & credits. Bizarrely, on my home PC it sounds fine, but on my phone, tablet & PS3 through youtube there's a clear drop in volume in that scene. It's been flagged with the editor, and hopefully shouldn't happen again. But yeah, it's an issue. No argument here. But it's literally the only scene where this was the case.

quote:

Write interesting scenes where there are stakes or humor or at least interesting visuals. This is just sitting around in basements/bars and mumbling. None of the characters or relationships are interesting enough to carry this kind of show. None of the actors are talented enough to pull off comedy (I'm sorry, but they're not).
I think you and your buddies made a show for you and your buddies.
Hey, that's a fair opinion, the show can't be for everyone, it's a relationship-centric comedy drama set in the Edinburgh alternative scene. I think you're being a wee bit harsh, I mean we did do a zombie episode, so it's not all sitting about chatting and there's still 5 episodes to come though, so who knows, you might be surprised.

thanks again!

kizeesh
Aug 1, 2005
Hey goons,

It's Metalhedz Monday!

So here's the latest from the gang, paranoia and insecurities run rampant all round in:

Episode 4: Haunting Me

As ever, give me your thoughts guys, there's nothing better for any team of filmmakers than constructive feedback.
The crit we got back on the original pilot and on the first season was incredibly helpful. So don't be a shy lurker!

kizeesh
Aug 1, 2005
Hey there,

it's Monday and So that means time for Metalhedz.

Episode 5: All The Small Things

I know I'm sounding a bit like a broken record, but really, really, post up some criticism! The season is now more than halfway through and I'd love to hear some thoughts on what's come so far and if anyone has any thoughts on how they think it'll turn out would be interesting!

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Can you post a link to the script or put it on paste bin? The script will help us see if this has amy potential and give ypu.more feedback. Someyhing that you may not have considered is making this show for radio first if the script is strong enough. Looking forward to seeing the script.

kizeesh
Aug 1, 2005

Breath Ray posted:

Can you post a link to the script or put it on paste bin? The script will help us see if this has amy potential and give ypu.more feedback. Someyhing that you may not have considered is making this show for radio first if the script is strong enough. Looking forward to seeing the script.

Aye, sure. I've posted up a pastebin copy of the original script for Episode 1: Creeping Death

Compare with the episode itself: Episode 1

Naturally there have been some changes, some on the day, others due to changes in location etc..
Hope that's of some interest!

kizeesh
Aug 1, 2005
Hi goodly gooners

It's a new week and the Metalhedz are growing more and more tense. As Beki & Tails' relationship grows more fraught, Ginge is getting even more frustrated, while Skull and Chloe are both looking for romance advice from most unusual sources.

Episode 6: The End Is The Beginning Is The End

We're coming ever-closer to the end of the series, so I hope people have been saving up their thoughts for after episode 8 airs.
If not, then it's a perfect time to get your thoughts, criticism and predictions in before the season is done!

kizeesh
Aug 1, 2005
Hey guys,
It's time for the penultimate instalment in season two of Metalhedz!
Tails and Ginge are drowning their sorrows in the pub but Skull is there and ready for a fight. Meanwhile Chloe is having serious thoughts about her relationship with Ginge, but has she waited too long?

Episode 7: Tears Into Wine

In true Game of Thrones style, will this second to last episode be the most shocking?
Let me know your thoughts and criticisms!

kizeesh
Aug 1, 2005
Ok folks,
It's finally here, a week later than expected(I was away on business) but here's the final episode of Metalhedz Season 2.
What will happen after the surprising get togethers at the end of episode 7? Will the gang regret their actions, or will things work out for the best? Find out here:

Epiosde 8: Seperate Ways

As before, I'd really love to hear reactions. They've been drat sparse this time around, but considering we're planning a third and final season of the show, we'd still love some criticism and feedback.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
hey. you might remember me. i've been giving you advice on this show every time you've posted here, since your very first pilot. gosh, it feels like such a long time ago. well, me and a lot of other people have given you some good advice over the years. honestly i'm tired of it though. i'm going to go well out of my way to not be mean and give you the best and last piece of advice you're going to hear from me: work on a different project, with different people, because if this one were salvagable it would have been by now. it's just not going to work. there appear to be some talented people working on this show, and obviously some very untalented people as well. i genuinely hope you can figure out which one you are. namaste

kizeesh
Aug 1, 2005
Hey, yeah i do remember you!
Apologies it's takes so long for this reply, I've been busy with other things since the show went up. Just to let you know, everyone involved also was during production working on various other projects. Several of the cast have been involved in various short films, documentaries, a couple have been in broadcast TV shows and one of them was in a national TV advert. So props to them all for that. The crew, almost to a man, work in the industry or are in college studying their craft and the director has written and shot two short films in the months since we wrapped production. So, the idea that this is all everyone was doing isn't really accurate.

The plain fact is, I posted here to hear what folk thought on season 2. Seeing as we got such varied and for the most part really useful feedback. Frankly, I'd really have liked some actual criticism on the specifics, but it seems folk either aren't offended by it enough to pick it apart, or simply didn't watch it.
Which is everyone's right I guess.

Well.... We'll be back with season 3 eventually. We're not planning to shoot it for at least a year, as everyone has other projects to work on and it has been something of a timesink.
Thanks again for the feedback we got from everyone. You helped make the show what it was!

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Can't really add much since the trailer was a bit of a turn off but what I can say, based purely on the trailer, is that the grading on it is awful. It's all over the place. Some stuff looks ungraded but most of the shots looked color corrected to hell and back to the point where the faces look completely flat and diffuse with zero definition, and the blacks are crushed so hard it could count as a hate crime. Most of the grade was about as subtle as a hammer to the face when it really needed to be subtle. If a grade isn't subtle then it distracts and looks extremely unnatural, especially with faces but also some of the grads on the sky (fake sunset is what I think you were going for in one shot but it ended up looking like some sort of weird apocalypse as seen on a PS2 game) were so bad that they really did look like a basic example preset. And a lot of the shots just seemed so drat dark, even the shots that looked lit seemed dark. Not a carefully designed and lit darkness but just an underexposed darkness across the frame.

Also not every shot needs a vignette guys, especially not that thick! Use it sparingly and carefully as a framing device if you must. otherwise it just looks like a lens defect. It feels like your grader watched too much Top Gear and tried to emulate their look or something (while failing to understand what they do to make the extreme grading work). So visually there was nothing that grabbed me in a positive way. The shots I saw were functional at best, headroom was fine, nothing that stood out as interesting in composition or movement, though that could be a choice too. Lighting was all over the place though. Could, again, be a choice but I think it would really help you guys to try to be more consistent about how the show is supposed to look. Get art direction, lighting, camera, and post all working with the same basic idea and stick to it.

All of this does not really tempt me to watch actual episodes but I do wish you good luck and I do hope you'll keep going! Though I agree with the previous poster that maybe, after so long, it's time to try something entirely different, you may be too close to this to see that at this moment though. Keep filming stuff, find your voice!

Steadiman fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 7, 2015

kizeesh
Aug 1, 2005

Steadiman posted:

Can't really add much since the trailer was a bit of a turn off but what I can say, based purely on the trailer, is that the grading on it is awful. It's all over the place.

Hey man! I remember you of old! That's some great advice, I would note that at time of creating that trailer not all the shots had finished being colour-corrected and graded by a long shot, and that sunset effect was completely re-done for the final episode. You're completely right though, the look and lighting isn't uniform throughout, and that's a lot down to the constraints of budget and location, which could definitely be improved, and the stuff shot latterly is far better than the early stuff (over a 13 month shooting schedule) The trailer however probably does the show a little injustice there, as the show doesn't have those issues within a scene. So I'd heartily recommend you watch an episode or two to get an idea of what the show looks and feels like.

The vignette framing... I don't really get it either, but it was a decision made in series one and the showrunner chose to stick with it. Call it a stylistic choice perhaps.

quote:

All of this does not really tempt me to watch actual episodes but I do wish you good luck and I do hope you'll keep going! Though I agree with the previous poster that maybe, after so long, it's time to try something entirely different, you may be too close to this to see that at this moment though. Keep filming stuff, find your voice!

Thanks for the encouragement, as I said above in the thread, we are all constantly making and shooting stuff! The writer/director of Metalhedz has just wrapped production on his 3rd short film since we finished on the series, and as I said above, most of the rest of the crew and cast are very busy working on other projects. I'd hope you do watch the show at some stage, at least the first episode, as it's a little different from the rest of the series. Bearing in mind that this entire webseries had a budget of about £1000, and was shot over evenings and weekends throughout last year, so while I think we've done leaps and bounds better than season 1, we're under no illusions that it's something spectacular. We just hope that by making more and learning more, we can up our game with each increment, and by god, it's a LOT of fun making the show!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

kizeesh posted:

Call it a stylistic choice perhaps.

Stop loving handwaving away every criticism people have. it looks really bad and you need to pass on the message that these people should stop doing it, not just go 'well thats how it is now so...'

You keep coming up with excuses for anything people have to say, and I remember the post you made for the first ever episode and it hasn't improved one bit outside of 'been doing a thing in isolation for years'. Not to the amount it should have if you'd all collectively been paying attention, taking criticism on board and trying to make something good.
By all means have fun and keep doing it, but dont pretend you care about feedback because it doesnt look like you've taken any on.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 8, 2015

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Were these threads ever intended to be anything more then advertisement?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
This is...horrible.

I only watched the first episode. That was plenty.

The pacing of the conversations are completely off. None of it feels like an honest conversation. I doubt that those people have even heard of the bands that their costumes have on them. The dancing at the start was painfully awkward and would never have been seen at a metal festival, which is where I'm assuming it's meant to be set? It's hard to tell though considering your zombie horde consists of about 12 people in total. The lighting and colours are all over the place and off. The pacing of the characters makes it impossible to follow as from one moment they go from "attempted humour" to "terror" without any real transition. Every joke was predictable, every reference was awfully tired and the "It was a D&D game" is just as bad as the: "It was just a dream" trope.

I mean was this scripted? Was this planned? Or was this just slapped together? Hell taking out a fraction of a second between the edits would've made the conversations flow and feel like an actual conversation which meant that we might've cared about the characters, which means we may have found them funny or remotely given a drat when they were eaten by zombies.

The acting wasn't woeful and I feel that if they had better direction, more convincing performances could come from the talent on-screen.

And you guys resorted to zombies on the first episode of the season? Well we're clearly running with a fountain of ideas. I can't wait to see what other barrels of creativity you crack open next.

I'm sorry, but I really dont' feel any passion or soul in this. This doesn't even feel like a labour of love that had it's heart in the right place that just didn't work out. It feels like it was something written to tick as many "Popular" boxes as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Why do you keep posting these threads if you defend every decision you make and never change anything based on the feedback you receive? I'm one hundred percent convinced at this point that these threads are pure advertising. You don't need opinions if you're not going to change anything, and this is a really bad way to get views.

• Locked thread