Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

soggybagel posted:

07 was genuinely amazing because its the first year they added the "skill stick" and there was something very satisfying about torquing up a wrister and letting it snap in.

That must be why it's remained the most brokenly successful move in the franchise these past 8 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

one year, the 2k series had an option for "orchestral score" so instead of listening to commentary you got a ridiculously dramatic soaring instrumental awesomeness throughout the game. I played entirely too much of that edition just because of that stupid option.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Narcissus1916 posted:

one year, the 2k series had an option for "orchestral score" so instead of listening to commentary you got a ridiculously dramatic soaring instrumental awesomeness throughout the game. I played entirely too much of that edition just because of that stupid option.

Less Doc 'n' Eddie, more of this. Preferably Hans Zimmer.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Duke Chin posted:

No Doc 'n' Eddie

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

:agreed:

#BringBackGaryAndBill - "...something something CANNONADE!"

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I turn off commentary anyway. All I hear is like ice and stick sounds and poo poo. :feelsgood:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I bring this up every time this topic comes about, but I play with no sound and just listen to music or watch TV on another screen.

#BringBackJimHughson

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

This also results in lots of final-seconds scoring chances being missed because you have no loud countdown.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I turn off commentary anyway. All I hear is like ice and stick sounds and poo poo. :feelsgood:

this, plus this:

Hockles posted:

I bring this up every time this topic comes about, but I play with no sound and just listen to music or watch TV on another screen.

#BringBackJimHughson

The 360 music player is great. A TVersity server gives me a ton of music to add to hockey.

I hope xbox one has the same?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Teeter posted:

this, plus this:

The 360 music player is great. A TVersity server gives me a ton of music to add to hockey.

I hope xbox one has the same?

PS4 has spotify support, which is pretty cool. Also, just turning the commentary off but leaving everything else on makes it so you still hear the beeps for the end of period countdown :getin:

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Pleads posted:

That must be why it's remained the most brokenly successful move in the franchise these past 8 years.

http://video.rangers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=681053

If its in the game its in the game, complete with backhand sauce through two players!

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Hockles posted:

#BringBackJimHughson

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :shrug:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Duke Chin posted:

#BringBackGaryAndBill - "...something something CANNONADE!"

"He did good save made."

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Xbox One has pretty abysmal music support compared to 360, unless I just can't find it. I honestly have no idea how to listen to music while I play games on it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

prom candy posted:

Xbox One has pretty abysmal music support compared to 360, unless I just can't find it. I honestly have no idea how to listen to music while I play games on it.

Turns out NHL wasn't the only product to launch missing features from the previous generation!!

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

Hockles posted:

#BringBackJimHughson

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE CUH-REAMMMMS-EM

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
One of my favourite parts of previous games was adding in authentic goal songs and break in play tunes. I want to hear SHE'S MY CHERRY PIE when I line up for a faceoff damnit.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

PS4 has spotify support, which is pretty cool. Also, just turning the commentary off but leaving everything else on makes it so you still hear the beeps for the end of period countdown :getin:

prom candy posted:

I really haven't cared much for console gaming in a bit so I never made the plunge to the newest generation but it keeps amazing me more and more how much MS took a step back compared to Sony. Looks like PS4 is 1000% the way to go when I get around to it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I was gonna get PS4 but it doesn't have 5ghz wifi support and 2.4ghz is unusable in my house. I also really hate Sony controllers. Neither console really seems that good, but I gotta have dat NHL.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

gently caress it, I should just buy EHM

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

And so starts another chapter in the great poo poo book of virtual hockey.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Teeter posted:

I really haven't cared much for console gaming in a bit so I never made the plunge to the newest generation but it keeps amazing me more and more how much MS took a step back compared to Sony. Looks like PS4 is 1000% the way to go when I get around to it.

Gonna sell more music on their poo poo rear end respective stores if you don't let the mouth breathers plebs regular, brand-loyal consumer stream their own, already-purchased music. :toot:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Duke Chin posted:

Gonna sell more music on their poo poo rear end respective stores if you don't let the mouth breathers plebs regular, brand-loyal consumer stream their own, already-purchased music. :toot:

Sony realized their music solution was poo poo and ripped it out for Spotify instead. Even the free Spotify works.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
spotify on ps4 is even better when you realize you can just use spotify connect to control it from your phone while you are playing

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014
All you'll ever need is a rame and a reeed and a BULLAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.
Bangin on the walls cuz she's never gonna call your a bullieeeeeeeeee
Noones gonna cry on the very day you die your a bullieeeeeeeee
Screamin to the sound and ur rollin on the ground can ya hear meeeeeeeeeeeeee
I dunno the words cuz this song is for the birds your a bullieeeeeeeee

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
I'm most intrigued by their claim of better animations for gathering the puck. Aside from not doing pointless spins anymore, I wonder if they mean they are trying to animate calming down the puck so they can turn down the magical magnetism and still allow players to corral and retain possession. That would be really amazing, and sounds like the kind of feature they might actually spend time on (viz. because nobody asked for it).

I wanna see Patty Kane stick handle at like 10Hz like in real life, dammit

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I think people have been asking for it since the day NHL 15 was released. It's one of the basic mechanics of the game and it's completely broken and main reason why NHL 15 is not fun.

LegioPraetoria
Jul 20, 2006

Strikeout!

eSports Chaebol posted:

I'm most intrigued by their claim of better animations for gathering the puck. Aside from not doing pointless spins anymore, I wonder if they mean they are trying to animate calming down the puck so they can turn down the magical magnetism and still allow players to corral and retain possession. That would be really amazing, and sounds like the kind of feature they might actually spend time on (viz. because nobody asked for it).

I wanna see Patty Kane stick handle at like 10Hz like in real life, dammit

It is utterly loving insane that the puck gathering system was playtested and they said 'sure that's cool, half the time the puck just sits at your feet like a bag of dog poop, and the other half of the time let's just completely change the skater's line arbitrarily and unpredictably so he can turn BY SURPRISE'. Like if there's one goddamn thing you should actually be in control of it's your dude's stride. I don't remember it ever being this bad in previous titles, but good lord is it silly that collecting a puck in the corner when you aren't skating RIGHT at it is a complete adventure

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Puck collecting seems, to me, like it got worse after 12 but that's admittedly ENTIRELY anecdotal and subjective.

Also we've kicked around the thought that rammer had never been to a hockey game before the all star dirt bike jersey game this past season and wow did his Twitter intimate as much.

(Not to mention round-puck vs. puck-shape-puck ACTUALLY BEING A THING THEY INCORPORATED AS A "FEATURE" THIS MANY YEARS INTO A PRO ICE HOCKEY GAME)

SAMB0
Jul 9, 2004

Space Bear.
Destroyer of Worlds.
So excited to get the Screamin Eagles back in action. This year of video games have been quite the let down without EASHL

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Puck collection was bad in 14 and was as bad in nhl 15.

Because they are the same.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Was it really as bad? I didn't play 14 and have shaky memories of 13, but recall either 13 or 12 having better puck pick up than current gen 15.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The puck physics in NHL 15 really are a huge improvement - but the AI is basically unchanged and doesn't account for any of the livelier moments that occur with more realistic physics. Its a mismatch that creates hilariously awkward moments constantly.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

What do you mean? They have this Dynamic Vision AI now and every player knows what every other player is doing all the time and responds intelligently. *Starts up the game.* It's the same loving AI but now players go offsides all the time. It's in the game.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Man, Online team play is the greatest thing. Its me. I'm the guy griefing canadians playing as the habs.

Greatest loving fun ever, as I get into fights and generally act as the american arsehole

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Oh so EA figured out that you can make cylindrical mesh colliders, as comes standard with every development tool and is a fundamental building block for any goddamn game with 3D graphics?

Bravo, glad to see we're going to push the bounds of next gen technology with this title! 2 years of development to understand basic geometry!

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 31, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
They must have gotten another puck physicist on the team to pull this one off.

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014
Back when I was a preteen, my mite c team had horrible pick pickup problems, same as NHL15.

Our coach duck taped our gloves to our sticks and made us skate the entire practice with our sticks on the ice. If he caught anyone with their stick off the ice (even in line waiting to do a drill) he would make us do push-ups.

Someone should tape a hockey stick to Rammer's hands and make him wonder from cubicle to cubicle with his stick on the ice tile EA office floor.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Oh cool, they're bring EASHL back but you won't be able to use your player for drop in matches - OTP is going to be the same as it is now on Current Gen.

Why EA, why?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I would love to be in the planning room when they come up with these poo poo ideas

• Locked thread