Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Doc Morbid posted:

Cool, another game where we get the authentic "Chicago Arena" experience. :geno:

I understand licensing can be a pain, and missing a couple of the real venues is frankly the least of the problems with these games, but considering how much EA goes on about their "ALL THE AUTHENTIC NHL ARENAS, IT'S JUST LIKE YOU'RE THERE" stuff it's kinda silly when the reigning Cup champs and most successful team in recent years have to play at a fake arena.

In this rare instance I'll defend EA. From what I've heard and even read (not sure where) some arena's just want a poo poo ton of money to use its likeness. Its also dually layered if I recall because you have to get clearance from the team/arena itself but also get clearance from the name rights holder as well. In the past I recall MSG wanted a poo poo ton of money. Like an absurd amount...not sure if it changed. It wouldn't surprise me if management in Chicago were being huge dickheads about getting paid to use the arena likeness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Maybe they just have played the game.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Named United after the airlines? And they want a shitload of money for something small and stupid?

Why I neeeevaaah

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

Duke Chin posted:

Named United after the airlines? And they want a shitload of money for something small and stupid?

Why I neeeevaaah

Probably why I am a lovely businessman, but wouldn't you rather take what EA is offering rather than, i dunno, zero?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Darth Ballz posted:

Probably why I am a lovely businessman, but wouldn't you rather take what EA is offering rather than, i dunno, zero?

Nah man, you can't dilute the brand of 20 year old stadium by letting it be used

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

sba posted:

I hope everyone comes off hiatus for EASHL 16, I miss the drama from not us

I'm pretty excited about playing again, and while I'll never be a 7-night-a-week grognard like some of you beauties, I definitely miss it.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

2 minutes of shaky cam early build footage from E3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht2SY45vvbw

Its hockey, I guess?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Well... Huh. That didn't look terrible terrible. It's not that same shuffling puck-glued-to-stick-while-carrying animation FINALLY

Something something cautiously optimistic

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 4, 2015

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
that sure was video game hockey in that video

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The feedback system where it tells you when to pass and shoot and why you lose face-offs sounds really great. Though hopefully it'll work even on the average difficulty level - in NHL 15 I can dominate any team on rookie but if I hop up to Pro I lose 3 out of every 4 games.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Huh... I think Rammer / EA is just trolling us or trying to piss us off at this point:

http://www.operationsports.com/news/846926/nhl-16-mascot-screenshots-mick-e-moose-jets-youppi-canadiens/

ed: I forget, did we cover this already?

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

http://www.operationsports.com/news/847148/nhl-16-eashl-announcement-coming-later-this-month-for-nhl-15/

EA Sports posted:

Attention EASHL fans.

EA Sports has scheduled some sort of NHL 16 EASHL announcement later this month for NHL 15. If you currently own NHL 15, make sure you are opted in to receive emails here.

EASHL Beta Test maybe?

SAMB0
Jul 9, 2004

Space Bear.
Destroyer of Worlds.
That would be awesome

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
EA released some videos today:

https://www.easports.com/nhl/news/2...s=1436894158803

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

"1:25 – Silfverberg’s stick makes contact with the defender's legs which causes him to lose control of the puck."

Finally.

It doesn't look bad, but I'm comparing it to NHL 15 so how could it. But I'm optimistic.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Highlights:

You can now skate/do crossovers side to side instead of having to turn that direction and skate

Some players have skate guards on their skates

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

You can now skate/do crossovers side to side instead of having to turn that direction and skate

It has taken forever EA to implemented some kind of pivoting system in their games. Fifa 16 has defensive swing steps as a new feature this year.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
so that looks like the same stupid game as 15 with some very minor improvements in collision detection

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

THE MACHO MAN posted:

so that looks like the same stupid game as 15 with some very minor improvements in collision detection

.....and I'll still play :negative:

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

THE MACHO MAN posted:

If that puck pick up thing works well it fixes the thing that made nhl 15 unplayable.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Heh it's just the NHL 13 trailer reskinned.

"Hey guys, we [SKATING TWEAKS DOG WHISTLE BUZZWORDS] and new to NHL 16 we modeled the ice like ice."

Even the guy doing the VO sounds bored as gently caress.

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014
Awesome, you still can't stickhandle and skate, at the same time. Good to know homoerotic defense tactics are still in place where you skate rear end-out backwards into the puck carrier's crotch area.

Doctor Butts posted:

Some players have skate guards on their skates

Wait, what? Why? Are there actually professional hockey players who have their parents lace their skates, at home, before the game? Is it some ghetto rink with no dressing room and the players have to walk across a parking lot, fully geared up?

liquorlanche fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 14, 2015

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Yeah they have run out of words to use for their "new" skating engine.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

liquorlanche posted:

Awesome, you still can't stickhandle and skate, at the same time. Good to know homoerotic defense tactics are still in place where you skate rear end-out backwards into the puck carrier's crotch area.

Wait, what? Why? Are there actually professional hockey players who have their parents lace their skates, at home, before the game? Is it some ghetto rink with no dressing room and the players have to walk across a parking lot, fully geared up?

oh no I guess I meant the puck guard things you put over skates to protect your feet from shots

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
the AI stutter step is still there lol

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Doctor Butts posted:

oh no I guess I meant the puck guard things you put over skates to protect your feet from shots

Haha I was trying to figure out why they'd need to bother rendering skate guards as well, but then I just shrugged and figured it was an EA thing

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

T-Bone posted:

the AI stutter step is still there lol

Yep. Saw that early on, too. "Am I gonna skate backwa-ahh gently caress it no gonna go forw-WAIT nope gonna go backward" but REMEMBER guys they totally improved the AI for the players who didn't have the puck in NHL 14. Then they totally improved the AI again for the players who didn't have the puck in NHL 15.

lol they didn't do poo poo and there's videos all over youtube proving it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Can't wait for everyone to complain that the pumped up collision detection is RUINING THE GAME because of turnovers every 3 seconds and EA tunes it back to where sticks go through legs and poo poo :allears:

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Guys. Don't buy the loving game. I am now on year 5 of NHL boycott. It hurts but it is what it is.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

soggybagel posted:

Guys. Don't buy the loving game. I am now on year 5 of NHL boycott. It hurts but it is what it is.

The games aren't going to get any better, just roll over and accept it. If there was some kind of mass boycott they'd just can the series or devote even fewer resources to it (if that's possible).

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

prom candy posted:

The games aren't going to get any better, just roll over and accept it. If there was some kind of mass boycott they'd just can the series or devote even fewer resources to it (if that's possible).

To be honest, I think this is the best option because its clear having only one company monopolize the sport isnt ever going to work so if EA walking away leads to multiple other developers stepping in, we all win (and EA loses which is just an added bonus).

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

To be honest, I think this is the best option because its clear having only one company monopolize the sport isnt ever going to work so if EA walking away leads to multiple other developers stepping in, we all win (and EA loses which is just an added bonus).

"Well folks, profits in the video game hockey market are slim and falling. I think NOW is the time to invest in an incredibly expensive entirely new product built from the ground up! Strike while the iron is hot!" *hops into his 96 Jetta with a "PROUD UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX SCHOOL OF BUSINESS GRAD" bumper stick emblazoned on the back*

Despite the nitpicking, it's a perfectly adequate product. The stripped down version for Xbox One and PS4 sucked, but everything of note has been brought back at this point. I'll probably end up buying it, at it's core it's still a decent facsimile of real hockey.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
6v6 EASHL/OTP without headphones on will still be pretty fun

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
yeah I mean the concept of 6v6 is just inherently awesome even with all the gently caress ups. It's always the execution that is majorly lacking.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Look at all that snow kicked up.

e: Also, the "goalie falls straight to his rear end to make a save" is still in. gg

Hockles fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 15, 2015

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Is it just me or is the commentary not very good either? BRING BACK GARY THORNE AND BILL CLEMENT AND YOU'VE GOT A SALE!

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

soggybagel posted:

Is it just me or is the commentary not very good either? BRING BACK GARY THORNE AND BILL CLEMENT AND YOU'VE GOT A SALE!

It just sounds like doc in an iso booth reading lines from a script and not actually watching any footage - it's lifeless as hell. Much like EA's apparent interest in keeping this franchise going.

My stance on Gary and Bill goes way back. SOMETHING SOMETHING CANNONADE!!! :allears:

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
I don't actually care about presentation but clearly EA does so hire a fuckin professional makeup guy this time. Olczyk looks like a drat vampire in the intros.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The way Gary Thorne yells "Scorrreessssss" is always good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Been reading through the QA area and while some of this might be reiterating some things we already know, it might contain a few things that haven't been explained all that well yet.

I'm just quoting what the answers are, and they're either answered by the Masala Menace/Cutthroat Curry/Most Hated Man in EASHL, Stock Photo Asian Man, or by Smuggo

What they're saying in the Q&A:

About Jerseys in EASHL:

quote:

In EASHL 16, you will be able to use the logos and jerseys from the real-world teams for your club. Though this isn't complete customization, the team currently has it on the list of ideas for future iterations and it is something we will continue to look into.

quote:

At this time players only have the option to assign a home and away jersey for their Hockey Ultimate Team. In EASHL, you will have access to 3rd/alternate jerseys from around the hockey world, but you will have to assign those as your home or away jersey.

Player customization in EASHL:

quote:

We have added a lot of customization to our players this year. The prime starting point was to ensure that we not only added variety to character creation but that everything we added also allowed us to make our NHL players more authentic. We looked through the top stars in the NHL and added items such as ear guards, visor types, stick and sock tape styles among others to help in hitting that authenticity and variation. We didn't focus on custom hair styles this year but did add a lot more variation to our player head selection and also added the long requested feature of playoff beards this year and since they can grow dynamically in the playoffs, this has also allowed us to add quite a lot of variation/length differences to our facial hair styles.

EASHL Stats and progression:

quote:

Hi Joe. If I'm not mistaken I think you are talking about progression and the ability to boost a player's attributes. With the player class system in NHL 16, the aim is to have all the strengths and weaknesses of each player be visible and transparent to each user. While you can still customize the way your created pro looks, we took a new direction with the player stats such that they are locked based on the player class you select.

quote:

Hi Scott, thanks for your question. When we set out to develop the new EASHL, our goal was to create a balanced, competitive experience. One of the first things on our list of things to tackle was whether or not to allow progression that boosted attributes. While we get progression was a rewarding design in the previous EASHL, it didn't necessarily create an even playing field for users who started playing later or didn't boost their stats, etc.

quote:

In NHL 16 we have changed the EASHL attribute system based on research and fan feedback. What we learned through that research and fan feedback is that there were three things that were critical for the new EASHL: 1. Created characters so you could play as yourself 2. Even playing field so skill (individual and team) is the determining factor in the outcome of games 3. Customization of characters so each player can look unique

Playing Defense:

quote:

We are still tuning balance so not everything is complete yet but there has been a big focus on giving defenders control over their positioning and ensuring that defenders will be successful when in the correct position. They should do a much better job on average of both deflecting and intercepting passes. We have also fixed some issues in the past where stick lifts weren't breaking up one timers and sometimes players would still get shots off when defenders had done a good job bumping them off the puck. This is working much better now.

quote:

We are always adding improvements within physics for collision detection. We have also improved the detection of stick on stick & stick on body collisions to tune when pucks get dislodged/collide per game style. We have also added the ability to tune how stick on stick contact effects puck control from different angles to simulate the strength the defender would have vs. the offensive player. These are the types of improvements you can expect to see in NHL 16.

quote:

We will not be adding a new defensive skill stick in NHL 16 but what we are doing is ensuring that all defensive mechanics are tuned and balanced so that it's fun to play every position on the ice. For example, Precision Skating will help you on the defensive side of the puck giving you the ability to close passing and shooting lanes more effectively.

Random:

quote:

Custom cameras are currently lower on our priority list. At the moment, we're working on a new camera for Be A Pro, OTP and EASHL.

quote:

Yes. NHL 16 will allow a user to access specific highlights through the Action Tracker which tracks all hits, shots, penalties and goals in a game and allows the user to then select them and view them.

quote:

Our goal is to always provide a gameplay experience that does not require the use of micro transactions, but that option will be there in modes like HUT in order for some fans to enhance or expedite their experiences.

quote:

There is a new training mode in NHL 16 which we're calling the Visual On-Ice Trainer. The great thing about this feature is that it gives you hints on both controls and some of the basic rules of hockey all during gameplay. For me personally, the best part about this feature is that it adapts as you play continuously progressing you to more and more complex moves so that both new and experienced fans will benefit.

• Locked thread