Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
until someone specifically states otherwise it is safe to assume that the stat boost microtransactions in EASHL are now replaced by microtransactions for hairstyles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

THE MACHO MAN posted:

until someone specifically states otherwise it is safe to assume that the stat boost microtransactions in EASHL are now replaced by microtransactions for hairstyles

A man can dream. A man can dream. *sigh*

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Is it weird I'd be 100% fine with this?

I mean a bunch of other people probably would too. I always thought the rational of cosmetic poo poo for real money is fine, but game performance enhancing poo poo is bad made a lot of sense. If you want to pay money to look like a pretty princess then fine, but you can't pay your way to the top stat wise.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

KiddieGrinder posted:

not at all.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

KiddieGrinder posted:

I mean a bunch of other people probably would too. I always thought the rational of cosmetic poo poo for real money is fine, but game performance enhancing poo poo is bad made a lot of sense. If you want to pay money to look like a pretty princess then fine, but you can't pay your way to the top stat wise.

This is a perfectly reasonable stance to take, and one I agree with.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Yeah that's where I'm at as well - stupid microtransaction bullshit should be cosmetic not pay-to-win in a sports game.

More hockey horse armor and ridiculous visors, less +6 Graf Stick of Dangle and +2 CCM Skates of Swiftness :colbert:

[$0.99USD TO ADD CUSTOM NAME TO JERSEY]
[$0.99USD TO ADD PINK TAPE TO STICK]
[$5.99USD FOR CUSTOM CROTCH THRUST CELLY]
[$9.99USD TO DISRESPECT "THE GAME"]

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 17, 2015

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Honestly, if they went full batshit crazy with the cosmetic items they would make more money than they did off point packs and poo poo. We all know every bro and broceph out there would pay 99 cents for a pink helmet or tuxedo jersey.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

oh yeah I don't have a problem with money for cosmetic stuff. I was just noting how they didn't mention it but I'd be amazed if it wasn't a thing.

It is annoying that you can't make your own guy anymore because they couldn't find a way to balance the game

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Honestly, if they went full batshit crazy with the cosmetic items they would make more money than they did off point packs and poo poo. We all know every bro and broceph out there would pay 99 cents for a pink helmet or tuxedo jersey.

So.... SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo many douchebros™ in MN and WI would trip over their own wallets trying to throw money at EA if they could get some "sick flow" leaking out under their hockey helmet or on their Be A Pro character.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I don't take a hard stance on many things but pay-to-win is one of them. I won't drop a cent on any game that gives you even a slight in-game advantage but I'll blow ridiculous cash for pointless cosmetics in games that have no pay-to-win elements. I'm gonna be buying some stupid virtual hockey poo poo this year if that's how it shakes out.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I'm pretty excited about this whole level playing field no legend card stuff. I've basically been perpetually two cards behind the EASHL field. Having a guy on par with everyone is going to be fantastic.

I'm also excited that people won't be running gimmicky max strength 5ft 6in midget builds where they just skate in circles until they can find an opening.

I might be most excited about having a goalie that is on par with the competition though.

Jovial Cow fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 17, 2015

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jovial Cow posted:

I'm pretty excited about this whole level playing field no legend card stuff. I've basically been perpetually two cards behind the EASHL field. Having a guy on par with everyone is going to be fantastic.

I haven't played a ton of HUT or EASHL in the past, but where is this idea that micro-transaction boosts are being eliminated coming from? The quote from the EA guy is "Our goal is to always provide a gameplay experience that does not require the use of micro transactions, but that option will be there in modes like HUT in order for some fans to enhance or expedite their experiences." Seems pretty clear that 'expedite' is just a synonym for boost here in my mind.

I'd love it to be true because whenever I tried those modes online people would have spent $200 on teams of all patty kanes and had $75 of boosts on their players rendering the game unplayable because WINNING IS EVERYTHING. Boosts are insanely lucrative so there's no reason for EA to do away with them.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I'm sure HUT will be the same old mode where rich kids can and will buy their stacked teams, but they have been talking about making EASHL a level playing field for a while now.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

ThinkTank posted:

I haven't played a ton of HUT or EASHL in the past, but where is this idea that micro-transaction boosts are being eliminated coming from? The quote from the EA guy is "Our goal is to always provide a gameplay experience that does not require the use of micro transactions, but that option will be there in modes like HUT in order for some fans to enhance or expedite their experiences." Seems pretty clear that 'expedite' is just a synonym for boost here in my mind.

I'd love it to be true because whenever I tried those modes online people would have spent $200 on teams of all patty kanes and had $75 of boosts on their players rendering the game unplayable because WINNING IS EVERYTHING. Boosts are insanely lucrative so there's no reason for EA to do away with them.

I didn't mention boosts, but they clearly state there are selectable builds if you will, which hopefully means you won't run into these guys who are maxing out certain stat combos and creating gimmicky builds. I can deal with boosts every day of the week, it's when they use those boosts to in conjunction with certain builds that it can be a real chore to deal with people. Being able to see other peoples stats (it sounds like) is a plus as well.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

If I were a dev, I'd be putting a whole years worth of development into full celebration controls, where you can manipulate your arms, hands, head and facial expressions using the controller, with Kinect support for those who have it to get you 'in the game.' Also applies to fight celebrations, alongside a Probert mode where you can skate around pushing refs out of the way and make motions to your opponent as they skate to the penalty box. Your voice will be heard on ice through the xbox headset yelling obscenities.

Hire me EA.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 17, 2015

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I have no problem with locked player stats but what of player height and weight? It's going to be weird to see everybody playing clones out there. I mean is every playmaker just 5 11 180 or something? Will there be no big players or will only the grinder be big? etc

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Ginette Reno posted:

I have no problem with locked player stats but what of player height and weight? It's going to be weird to see everybody playing clones out there. I mean is every playmaker just 5 11 180 or something? Will there be no big players or will only the grinder be big? etc

They really seem to be talking up player customization, I'm sure you will be able to tweak height and weight

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

I feel like they could have left in player customization but severely cut it back. Like you can only go up a couple points vs having to get to get 175 loving wins to just get legend 1 points. Or even everyone gets the same starting points, no progression, but I can do some kind of power forward/playmaker hybrid rather than each of those builds being useless and being forced to be a sniper.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I want 'The Repopulation' levels of customization:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCwKkA9Y8Zo

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Normal, heavy and light player types but their height wouldn't have any effect on gameplay. . That should be easy enough to balance. Not the most realistic system but hey it worked for nes ice hockey.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I just got a text from a friend celebrating the return of action tracker, so we can see penalties and goals after they happen.

God, we are such whores.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
NHL 16 EASHL Open Beta July 30th-August 6th. Download the beta through NHL 15 menus, so if you sold the game early welp no beta for you.

PS4/Xbone only, of course.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

quick someone mail me ps4 nhl 15 so i can install and get in on the beta

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

NHL 16 EASHL Open Beta July 30th-August 6th. Download the beta through NHL 15 menus, so if you sold the game early welp no beta for you.

PS4/Xbone only, of course.

You will be sent an access code to download it on next gen if you only have the current gen version and opted in to let them contact you via email.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I will gladly trade an Xbone code (that I assume I will be getting) for a PS4 code.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Oh maaaaaaaan where can I buy NHL 13 for dirt cheap for the demhahahahahahahahah gently caress that gently caress EA there are probably people who are actually going to do that.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Oh gently caress you EA, the Beta is right in the middle of when I'm on holiday. I'll make it back for like the last few days of it but welp :(

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hockles posted:

I will gladly trade an Xbone code (that I assume I will be getting) for a PS4 code.

Don't wanna go halfsies on ps4
15?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Don't play the beta.

The less you play of this smouldering trash heap of a franchise the better.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Pleads posted:

Don't play the beta.

Don't listen to him, he played NHL 15 on 360 more than any of us.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

That does not invalidated my statement in any way.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Pleads posted:

Don't play the beta.

yes but on the other hand, think of how we can topple youtube by the sheer number of replay videos we can upload now.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
If any of you pay one red cent for nhl 15 just for the beta then the terrorists have already won. :colbert:

Kudos to EA for finding a way to get complete dumbasses to buy their piece of poo poo stripped down old version just a couple of months before the new one. :golfclap:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Well ok but I bought it used and not from EA so....

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Doctor Butts posted:

Well ok but I bought it used and not from EA so....

I bought a copy on ebay for $15 to share with 2 other people. $5 is well worth the beta

Southpaw
Mar 9, 2006

sba posted:

I bought a copy on ebay for $15 to share with 2 other people. $5 is well worth the beta

:cmon:

for shame

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

This is the worst thread on the forums.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
...you loving people. :ughh:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

It's not like EA is getting any more money. Those idiots already gave EA money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Hockles posted:

It's not like EA is getting any more money. Those idiots already gave EA money.
"Our online numbers spiked prior to the beta, next year let's bring back EA Online Pass so we can capture $X million in extra revenue from used sales!"

• Locked thread