Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I didn't buy NHL 15, but considering most features are back I'll probably buy NHL 16 (mostly because I need some games for my Xbox One). I am a sucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

My favourite NHL 07 moment was firing the puck down the ice causing the opposing goalie to raise his arm to signal for icing, only to have the puck ricochet dramatically off the end boards, hit the goalie in the back of the skate and go in the net. I managed to have it happen multiple times, including once in OT during a playoff game. The dramatic "drop to knees then rotate on the spot" thing the goalie AI did in response to the puck touching his foot is seared in my memory.

I miss that game :allears:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Duke Chin posted:

#BringBackGaryAndBill - "...something something CANNONADE!"

"He did good save made."

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hockles posted:

Editing current players attributes.

Is there a good reason as to why that feature was even removed in the first place? It seems like one of the simplest things to program. I remember playing around with Andrew Cassels attributes to make him a superstar in like NHL 96.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

sba posted:

because the dev team for this game is complete garbage?

I get that, but is there a financial/gameplay reason for doing so? Do they want to force people to download only their roster updates? Can people use it to cheat in online play or something? I'm no programmer, but I can't imagine a database editor would take all that long to put together, and it's something people expect from a sports video game produced in the last 15-20 years.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Duke Chin posted:

New NHL 16 trailer was just released:

Wow, the ragdoll physics have really improved!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

reach42 posted:

For some reason the Green Men being in the game really makes me happy.

Except in reality they retired at the end of this season so they get added to the game just as they officially no longer appear.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

prom candy posted:

Did you guys know there's no rematch button when you're playing a friend online in 15? Seriously what the gently caress.

That's idiotic. I didn't buy 15, but did they scrap the challenge for the cup mode? I used to love burning an evening playing a seven game series against a friend online. It was so much more satisfying when injuries rolled over and the cup was on the line.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

To be honest, I think this is the best option because its clear having only one company monopolize the sport isnt ever going to work so if EA walking away leads to multiple other developers stepping in, we all win (and EA loses which is just an added bonus).

"Well folks, profits in the video game hockey market are slim and falling. I think NOW is the time to invest in an incredibly expensive entirely new product built from the ground up! Strike while the iron is hot!" *hops into his 96 Jetta with a "PROUD UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX SCHOOL OF BUSINESS GRAD" bumper stick emblazoned on the back*

Despite the nitpicking, it's a perfectly adequate product. The stripped down version for Xbox One and PS4 sucked, but everything of note has been brought back at this point. I'll probably end up buying it, at it's core it's still a decent facsimile of real hockey.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

THE MACHO MAN posted:

until someone specifically states otherwise it is safe to assume that the stat boost microtransactions in EASHL are now replaced by microtransactions for hairstyles

A man can dream. A man can dream. *sigh*

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jovial Cow posted:

I'm pretty excited about this whole level playing field no legend card stuff. I've basically been perpetually two cards behind the EASHL field. Having a guy on par with everyone is going to be fantastic.

I haven't played a ton of HUT or EASHL in the past, but where is this idea that micro-transaction boosts are being eliminated coming from? The quote from the EA guy is "Our goal is to always provide a gameplay experience that does not require the use of micro transactions, but that option will be there in modes like HUT in order for some fans to enhance or expedite their experiences." Seems pretty clear that 'expedite' is just a synonym for boost here in my mind.

I'd love it to be true because whenever I tried those modes online people would have spent $200 on teams of all patty kanes and had $75 of boosts on their players rendering the game unplayable because WINNING IS EVERYTHING. Boosts are insanely lucrative so there's no reason for EA to do away with them.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Soft Shell Crab posted:

More boom and woosh sounds and something about goalies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASIzwF2rv0I&t=89s

Eddie Lack nooooooo :smith:

They even added his victory dance to the game. Why Benning? Why????

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

So I hear hitting is down? Is it to the point where the best defence finally isn't a combination of stick checks and BIG HITZ and actually requires you to play positionally and time your movements, or is it just all stick checks now?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Why does he have Todd Bertuzzi's chin strap?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Well I'm sold

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I picked it up after work because I'm a masochist and screwed with it for a few hours. It's an improvement over 14 (the last one I owned) and the presentation is pretty sleek. The puck is super springy and ricochets around the place like it's coated in pig grease. Goals fly in off defenders pretty much all the time, so long as you gently shove a CPU d man in front of the net with a forechecker they'll lose the puck and casually slide it on their own net pretty frequently. Point shots immediately off attacking zone faceoffs are still pretty much an automatic goal. Generally scoring is crazy, and the game plays catch up like it's Mario Kart 64. I played 5 games and not one was decided by more than a goal (empty netters aside), and in each one one or both teams managed to blow a multi goal lead.

With that said, hitting is a lot more reasonable and actually backing off a defender and playing a bit more passively is a viable option. Skating and momentum seem sharp, and the visual tutor thing was useful if somewhat distracting after a while. Setting up in the attacking zone was infrequent, but rewarding when you managed it. Actually working a puck around into a scoring area was incredibly satisfying, although just throwing the puck on net from any angle remains the best option.

I didn't really delve into the other gameplay modes (other than a single BAP game where I managed 4 points but lost in a shootout because my defender literally one timed the puck into his own net), so I can't comment on them. Overall it still feels like a polished version of the last gen game. Improved, but not markedly so. Maybe I need to fiddle with sliders and stuff, but it's still really ping pongy even on the 'simulation' setting. At C$90 with tax it's a bit of a tough pill to swallow considering it doesn't offer a single unique feature, but I guess I'll see what the other game types are like before I make my final judgement.

As a final note: they don't let you do spinoramas in the shootout like the real NHL, so basically the game is stupid and devoid of fun.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I present to you "Matt Bartowski: Born to be a Canuck"

(sorry about the quality, I couldn't figure out how to save video clips so I had to record it off my phone)

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Pleads posted:

"Xbox record that" or press the big SHARE button on the DS4.

TYOOL2015 :cmon:

I find my Xbox One confusing and terrifying.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

I will say that despite its complement of the usual EA bullshit, this is actually a pretty good hockey game.

My biggest gripes so far are that the line editing screen is terrible and the stats menus are sluggish, and in the grand scheme of things that's pretty good. I'm suitably impressed.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

I like how the AI still self pins itself to evade forechecking pressure in this. Like a defenseman would ever ever do that in real hockey. That's just asking to be in a wheel chair.

This, the fact that every player in the NHL can snipe the top corner with relative ease and the AI's inability to pick up a puck sitting beside the net are my biggest issues with the gameplay. Everything else is either spot on or could be adjusted with sliders. Goalscoring and general skating speed is too high, but that can be scaled back.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Did you set trade logic to hard? I did that with my BAGM and it's now impossible to make any trade whatsoever. I am a month into the season and there has not been a single trade of any sort across the entire league. Does it pick up closer to the trade deadline?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Pleads posted:

That mostly only applies to longer passes, the short-game is still mostly accurate (it happens every now and then that your moron player will fire the puck up to 90 degrees in the wrong direction) and those are the passes you should be looking to make, but still.

The AI deciding it was my intention to pass the puck to the opposition goaltender rather than my teammate on a two on one is driving me nuts.

Then again, passing the puck on net ends up in a goal one time in three so I'm not sure why I'm complaining.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

You can disable the sim penalty in the options.

That said, there's a few times I tried the sim 2 periods thing and my player apparently did literally nothing those 2 periods so it's sort of a penalty.

I had no idea this was possible, thanks. I don't even understand why the simulation penalty is a thing in the first place.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I played a couple games last night after not touching it for a week, and I have to say the tuners have made a huge improvement. I'm not sure if it's just me, but the game felt a bit slower overall and I was setting up in the attacking zone with some regularity and not just shooting off the rush all the time. I guess I missed the 'pokecheck automatically means a penalty' setting they had for a bit, because I managed to have zero powerplays either way in two games which was the only drawback. Still, it felt much more controlled than it did when I first bought it.

I really felt punished for making mistakes for the first time I can remember too. I decided to pinch down from the point while behind in a game and the puck was chipped past me and the AI scored off a well executed 2 on 1. It felt like a really realistic goal and I actually went back and watched the replay of the computer scoring on me I was so impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Duke Chin posted:

This was already proven with a HUT Sidney Crosby vs John Scott where they were found to preform identical. It's available on YouTube somewhere / I think I posted it in the NHL 15 thread

Yeah that was more that the NHL stats don't mean very much, whereas this is EA seemingly deliberately handicapping expensive FIFA cards to get people to keep buying better ones.

• Locked thread