Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
I'm most intrigued by their claim of better animations for gathering the puck. Aside from not doing pointless spins anymore, I wonder if they mean they are trying to animate calming down the puck so they can turn down the magical magnetism and still allow players to corral and retain possession. That would be really amazing, and sounds like the kind of feature they might actually spend time on (viz. because nobody asked for it).

I wanna see Patty Kane stick handle at like 10Hz like in real life, dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Teeter posted:

Do they still include some sick kid that ends up winning all of the awards in BAGM/BAP if you forget to edit their stats down or remove them from rosters? One year there was a 16 year old girl who had survived cancer that got included as a goalie. I'm pretty sure she made it to the free agent list in my game and ultimately ended up replacing Carey Price when the AI Canadiens picked her up.

It's Rio Yassin but his stats are reasonable. People use him boosted in HUT because he's like 4'10" so he can just skate in between people.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

I don't actually care about presentation but clearly EA does so hire a fuckin professional makeup guy this time. Olczyk looks like a drat vampire in the intros.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Bradf0rd posted:

I saw some new animations...but I also saw the goalie still defaulting to that stupid fall-on-rear end thing.

I just scored a new goal for the first time: the puck was underneath the goalie in the butterfly, but he didn't have it and couldn't find it, and before the whistle blew for an out of sight puck, I was able to poke check through (as in clipping through) his pads to score. They called it an own goal.

In the same game the play got blown dead for a puck that bounced off the post and the pad when the goalie wasn't hugging it at a weird angle even though it didn't get stuck and was clearly visible :v:

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Top Hats Monthly posted:

And I'm the King of England

NHL PC QUONDAM NHL PC FUTURUS

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

triplexpac posted:

I've always wanted a Be A Pro mode that isn't just shuffling around stat points and such. Let me be a character, I want to yell at coaches and be a locker room cancer. Let me demand more money and get ran out of town.

I'm sure by 2034 they'll get around to making Be A Pro like NBA 2K My Career

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Hockles posted:

"Couch Co-op" is a 21st century buzzword for "Playing with another person on the same console." A feature that has been around since the start of video games.

To be fair, tons of games have local multiplayer, but don't let you play online with multiple people on one console. It's terrible and inexcusable every single time, but I'm still actually excited about this (being the only actual new feature being added to the series at all).

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

gman14msu posted:

If I'm not on an EASHL team, what's the difference between EASHL and Online Team Play?

Edit: Nevermind. OTP is real players if anyone is too lazy to check... Like me. Also, looks like there were more OTP players than EASHL which seems odd.

Sometimes you'll find an OTP game where you can get ridiculous breakaways if play goes on a while without a whistle because nobody every changes.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

I know they're gonna tone it back but it isn't necessarily all bad that you can only poke check judiciously. I mean, it's not ideal, but having every poke that can't reach the puck be an auto-penalty isn't really that much worse than letting people just spam it blindly until one works. You really do have to change how you play though.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

flakeloaf posted:

:ssh: If you play a female character you will never get roughing, fighting or unsportsmanlike penalties.

Wait can you still grab people with the fight button though? That would be seriously OP.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Aside from sprinting and shooting on the rush every time being a bad idea (I still do it anyway), guys get gassed in this game faster than NHL 15, and you have to be more conscientious about changing lines if you go a decent amount of time without a stoppage. Also the AI is still stupid about knowing when to automatically change if you don't do it manually--no really, when I dump it at the red line and everyone is about to collapse on the ice, don't chase it! Still a good thing overall, and contributes to coast-to-coast skating not being the optimal play.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Ah neat, thanks. At least they'll accept me for how terrible I am. Probably.

Just don't play Left Defenseman. For some reason it seems to be a running theme that everyone blows it as the LD.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

Thanks for the feedback about 16 vs. Legacy.

It's something I probably won't notice when I'm playing, but watching clips to see how "real" the arenas are out of curiosity and the NBC experience, I can't help but notice that virtual Doc Emrick sounds incredibly stiff as compared to real Doc. Every other commentator I've ever heard do a hockey video game (Hughson/Simpson, Thorne/Clement, Hahn/Remenda, Olczyk & Ferraro on the current game) seem to be able to sound like normal people in a recording studio, but DOC!....seems like...he's, a robot...AND IS CONFUSED ABOUT WHEN TO BE EXCITED, while "Score!" is done as if he's bored. Kind of disappointing.

There are a bunch of less frequent lines (especially post-game ones) that Olcyzk kind of trips over and at this point I think it's not even to sound more authentic by keeping first takes, they just don't care. (The one that comes to mind first is "I'd like to congratulate the coach for continuing to c-coach and...c-carp late into the third period").

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Dandy Kaiser posted:

that's what he loving sounds like in real life

if the first thing you did when you got this game wasn't turn off the commentary and turn all the arena and in-game fx all the way up you're doing it wrong

I know they have the visual warnings but for all the stupid ~realism~ stuff they put in that nobody asked for, I'm amazed I can't hear the linesmen yelling "OFF! OFF! OFF!" or "NO! NO! NO!" for offsides and no-icing.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

The Rev posted:

How does a team even give up 12 breakaways in a single outing. Short of trolling or gimmick games that's impressive. I'm not even sure I've seen an otp game with more than 7 or 8 in quite some time.

Even one and a half horrible d-men might give up that many (it's not even that many for triple OT) if one always pinches and the other tries to land a hit near the blue line every time.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

For all the pointless cosmetic details, how about having the fuckin' linesmen raise their arms for an offside warning? Is that too much to ask?

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Bradf0rd posted:

They just added the linesman. Do you not notice the big warning under the score or hear him shouting "OFF!"

They also forgot to add either warning when you're offside but don't have possession, so occasionally you don't know if forechecking is pointless.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

They also forgot that you get an awarded goal instead of a penalty shot on a breakaway against an empty net wtf :confused: Seriously this just happened to me, and they put the goalie back in for a penalty shot.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

sba posted:

i hope they add Call of Duty style EASHL loot crates next year

In addition to equipment you can get smelling salts that instantly remove all fatigue from your skater

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

The Rev posted:

You're going about this all wrong. EA gives the fans what they want. WWI Battlefield got such a postive reception it's time for NHL1, 1920's era hockey. No helmets, barely any pads, the fans all smoke cigars, and everyone is a 25 overall in every stat.

Unlike BF1 this would actually be amazing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Bradf0rd posted:

lol if anyone watched that entire video.

I did :colbert: Also it skipped a bit around iirc the 8th goal.

• Locked thread