Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Dr. Laboe

Jenny waves a hand, idly, dismissively, smiling and rolling her eyes.
"It seems like Adams was stuck in a meeting. NERV restructuring, inopportune timing. Obviously we need more redundancy in command. Heh, I'm surprised Jagr choked like that."

Maybe this makes sense? She's still being weirdly casual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dylan James
FP: 4/5

Dylan has had his head in his hand ever since he got out of his plug, and more oddly, he hasn't said a word. He let that thing get to him, he fired at Pax and Noah. What the gently caress was wrong with him? As the debriefing ends, he stays in his seat, silent and clutching his still-aching head.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!
Hannah Asagiri
FP: 1/5 Physical: OOO Mental: OOOO

If the raven-haired girl had any questions or concerns about the troubles that seemed to stem from Command, she didn't voice them. She doesn't even bat an eye at the presence of the new soldiers. Although she had occasionally been witness to some curious conversations in Nevada, a place where she had been more or less an invisible non-entity, she doubted that in the presence of more pilots, the higher-ups here would be so open.

That doesn't stop Noah from trying, though. She had to admire him for that, even though she suspected he wouldn't get much in the way of answers. Dr.Laboe wasn't being exactly forward, but it wasn't a matter that the pilot of Unit-06 was going to press. No good would come of expressing disbelief or exercising dissent on this front. She decided to make an observation about something else. Wether it was a wise decision remained to be seen.

"You should be grateful to have someone to protect you," Hannah quietly remarks as she finishes drying her hair, dropping the towel and looking at Pax impassively as the other girl tromps past, "this isn't about personal glory or pride."

"It's a group effort," the girl says as she turns her attention to the nearby Dylan, continuing along the same tangent, "and it tried to do that to me too. It's okay. We won."

Hannah uses Empathy to defend against Jenny's Decieve! 4dF+2=1!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Franklin Wilson
FP 1/5 | Physical 0000 | Mental X00
Consequences: They're Holding Me Back (+2)

Defend against Decieve with Empathy: 4dF+1 3

Franklin is in a foul mood. He attacked an ally thanks to goddamn angel dust, command wasn't even there for half the mission, and now Laboe was lying to him. Well, maybe not, but at this point it felt like the world was against him (and maybe the other pilots), and he was fed up of being jerked around by these people.

"C'mon, Doc.NERV don't have board meetings during an Angel attack. Who gives a gently caress about shares when a monster's on your door? What's the deal?"

Franklin gets up from his seat and swaggers over to the nearest MYSTERIOUS SOLDIER, standing a little too close to him to be non-confrontational.

"Yo, Tall Dark And Stupid. Do you know what's going on? Hellooooo?"

Create Advantage with Empathy (looking for Aspects on the soldier): 4dF+1 -1
Hahaha, no.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Pax and Noah
Fate Points: 2

Looking to Hannah, Pax narrows her eyes in a flash of pure anger, but her snarl shifts swiftly into a faux toothy grin. "Does Dr. Laboe know you're trying to take her job?", she says as she continues on past, putting on a breezy mask over her simmering tone as she heads for the changing area.

Speaking of Laboe, Noah stares with his good eye at her. "Well. I hope it was worth what happened out there.", he says with a tone of sarcastic skepticism. He looks over his shoulder, lowering his voice. "Look, I gotta go, Pax is going to be losing her poo poo after getting shot at like that. You guys need to get your act together and fast." With that, he starts off quickly, rubbing his temple as he marches off.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dylan James

As Pax and Noah leave, Dylan hangs his arms down, sighs, and speaks for the first time since leaving his plug.

"I....really kinda hosed up there, didn't I?"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
HQ - Debrief

Hannah may not be the most worldly person around, but it's really obvious that your psychologist, the person you're supposed to unconditionally trust and deal with baggage-free, just straight up lied to your face. The clone can't be sure about what, but she knows something and she's making a deliberate attempt to keep you out.

Meanwhile, Franklin is supposed to be the worldly one, and that makes it funny when he ends up flat on his face. Literally, though. The soldier of Franklin's choosing doesn't take kindly to that kind of close proximity and slams the young star up against a wall, arm wrenched behind the kid's back to keep him in place. It's quite unpleasant!

Frankie's not in a position to see it, but the manhandling soldier looks at one of their counterparts. You don't hear anything pass between them, but it sure looks like they're conversing. Eventually Franklin is turned loose with a firm, impolite shove back away from the soldiers.

Pax and Noah lay down some serious slaps against their fellow pilots. And Doctor Laboe. Really not makin' friends with anyone here.

Sorry, would have been up earlier but some serious storms took out the internet around here several times tonight.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Franklin Wilson
FP 1/5 | Physical 0000 | Mental X00
Consequences: They're Holding Me Back (+2)

"Ow, ow, OW! Jesus gently caress!"

Franklin nurses his arm and shoots a glare at the assembled commanders.

"Dunno who you hired for your security detail, but you oughta teach them more manners."

He doesn't respond positively to Dylan's upset proclamation, or the Wonder Twins bitching. In fact, it just makes him madder. With a last under-the-breath mutter of "fuckers," he turns and leaves.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Rabah

Rabah bears the ridiculousness of the situation stoically and without complaint.

That's a soldier's job, after all. Superior officers (civvie appointments or not) are superior officers. You leave them be. Ours is not to question why.

Pax and Noah, on the other hand... Rabah waits until the two storm out before quietly commenting. "I didn't do it for anybody else. I did it for the mission."

She looks at the squabble in front of her. Well. She has other things she wants to look into. Outside of whatever command shittery is going on (such is the life of a soldier.)

"Permission to leave, ma'am?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Dr. Laboe

Jenny's taken a few steps forward towards the soldiers, arm cocked, before she stops herself. The situation... somewhat defuses itself. She's still furious, glaring at the soldiers, as if that's going to help.
The kids start to wander off, and Jenny keeps an eye on the two soldiers. Why did they even come here? This is almost... comically stupid. The hell...

She watches Jagr, trying to figure out what's going on, when Rabah pops up.
Jenny blinks, then smiles gently.
"Of course. Also, um... good job. Really, I was impressed."
She nods towards Hannah.
"You too. Shaking off the effects... I hadn't expected you could do that. Go home, we should have a break for a while before the next attack, hopefully this will be..."

She stares at the soldiers.
"Settled."

As everyone disperses, she stalks towards Jagr, glaring.
"Alright. So, what are we going to do about this?"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

HQ

The pilots are apparently given permission to go home after their exhausting day. Dylan may or may not be left to deal with his brain problems alone.

Jagr crosses his arms at Jenny's question. "We're going to be very polite to our guests," he says. "And be grateful they're here. Don't ask me anything else. Please."

Gonna give this another day and we'll move on.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dylan James

"I'm goin'."

Dylan gets up without another word and heads out.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Dr. Laboe

Jenny's eyebrows climb, and she leans in really close, making drat sure nobody else is listening in.
"Sync rates are fragile. Coercing them will not work. Whoever these fuckers are need to know that. I'm pretty sure I can keep a handle on Asagiri and Iowa, but if the other four start crumbling we'll lose them. Unless they're actually are gunning for the end of the world, that poo poo," she nods towards the soldiers and where Franklin ran off to, "isn't for anyone's benefit."

She frowns, then shrugs.
"Either that, or get the dummy plugs primed and ready. Actually, we should have them set up regardless. What's the holdup?"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

HQ

Jagr makes a face that probably surfaces pretty regularly in the history of the Evangelion program. It's a mixture of awe and disgust. To the colonel's credit, he realizes what he's doing before anybody else can notice.

"That program has been cancelled, Doctor. And its records expunged. You can lodge any further protest with Human Resources."

Now he looks nervous. He's normally better at controlling the volume of his voice than this.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Hannah Asagiri

Hannah nods in response to the Doctor's acknowledgement, but says nothing. She obediently complies when she's told she's dismissed, exiting the Evangelion Cages and passing into the corridor. Glancing down the hallway, The pilot of Unit-06 observes Dylan walking away, shoulders slouched.

"Dylan!" she calls out in an uncharacteristically loud voice, hoping to grab his attention. After a small pause, she adds, "it's okay. You're only human."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dylan James
FP:4/5

Dylan picks his head up and manages a weak smile. "Yeah, I guess it could be worse. The Yankees could be in the finals."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Dr. Laboe

Jenny throws her hands up.
"And that pressure nonsense is fine? Whatever."

She walks away, grumbling under her breath.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Hannah Asagiri

Hannah blinks, wondering which sport that is, exactly. If she had a computer nearby, she'd just look it up, but she doesn't. Adopting an embarrassed look, she nervously runs the fingers of one hand through her hair as she nevertheless tries sound optimistic, "that is true! But I must admit I don't really follow football."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dylan James

"Baseball, Hannah. It's baseball."

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Hannah Asagiri

She'd gambled and lost.

"Right. Baseball," the raven haired girl hastily agrees, sounding certain. Hannah's eyes shift to the right, and with a determined looking expression she silently mouths the word 'baseball'. Returning her attention to Dylan and having nothing more to say, there's an awkward pause before she comes up with something, delivering a cheerful sounding, "okay then!"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Later On

Well, at least you're not dead. That's technically a positive outcome to this whole day.

Over time, you all disperse and return to your respective homes.

For some, that's not so far. Hannah and Rabbah head back to their own parts of Headquarters and find themselves with ample time at hand, enough to research the differences in sporting events or to skulk around as they see fit.

Franklin's valet is there waiting, but now he's got more fans at HQ. Every single one of those soldiers turns to watch him with their glassy black masks whenever he walks by from now on. It's a lot less comforting than the attention he's used to.

Dylan has a pounding headache, and he has to wait for his brother to come pick him up, and the game's already off the radio by the time Marcus gets there, and if he didn't know better he'd think someone was following him. Great. Killer.

Pax and Noah are spared the long, awkward ride home to Jagr's place. A Security car picks them up and drops them off. Jagr doesn't come home for a couple of days.

Jenny goes home, to be alone.

Next segment is about to start. The UN Fleet is making a stop in Boston, how cool. What have you been up to in the intervening five days?

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Rabah

A soldier does not question her orders.

But in the absence of orders, one does get up to some things with what you have...

Rabah has spent every spare second of her 5 days chasing around technicians, mechanics, janitors - anybody who hangs around the hangar and isn't in the piloting command structure (and therefore can't give her orders.) The question she wants answered is simple.

"What's in the black box?"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Rabah

If there's something military life is good at, it's teaching you to spot bullshit. So when the most common response to your question is "What black box?" you're left with the unsettling impression the folks you talk to are being honest. None of the techs you talk to have any idea what you're going on about. You even convince one of them, Murphy, to open the plug sled storage so you can show her what you're talking about - and there's nothing there.

You know with utter certainty that you saw something attached to your cockpit rig that wasn't supposed to be there. Now it's gone, and nobody has ever heard of it, seen it, or known a thing about it.

There are rumors, of course. Strange trucks appearing in the middle of the night that nobody at the bridge checkpoint saw go past, mysterious figures in suits telling people they weren't there, etc. Actually asking the people who saw these things turns up nothing, though - it appears the tales are just that, the products of the slower part of the boredom/panic spectrum of military life.

How the hell does someone install mysterious equipment in the best-guarded, highest-tech chunk of warfighting equipment on the planet? Who even has equipment that can interface with an Evangelion, let alone sneak it in and out like they did.

Did they?

You did see it, right?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

4:36 PM, Monday

"You need to stop blaming him.", Noah says, putting up his guard as Pax jabs in, striking his arms. A wince. The sparring was always hard, but she really wasn't holding back today. Circling around, he swung out with a kick as she ducked, coming in fast, but he slipped to the side in anticipation of her attack. "It isn't like before, they're not going to all turn on us. You know that, right?", Noah added. Pax fumed silently, coming up around with the knee before trying to bring down her elbow and a knife hand, though Noah anticipated it. It was always like this. They knew each other too well to easily gain the upper hand. "If you'd just apologize-"

But his focus was on other things, and she pulled out his feet with a sweep, getting Noah to the mat. She looked at him, her one eye wide as she balled her fists. "Shut up. I wish I didn't need you."

2:47 PM, Tuesday

"Don't have me see you back here.", Mr. O'Rourke spoke up as Noah looked over. "What, you're not gonna miss me?", Noah said as the teacher just shook his head, stepping out of the detention hall. It was a short walk to Bobby's locker, and they walked out of the school. "So, what do you want to do?", Bobby asked, and Noah shrugged. "I don't know... Harvard Square?", he said, looking up at the sky. Bobby folded his arms behind his heads. "Sure, we can go to Fire & Ice, maybe Newbury Comics..." Noah looked over. "Comics. Aren't those about people saving the world and stuff?" Bobby shrugged. "Actually mostly they sell music, but... what, you've never read one?" Noah laughed a little. "Nope. Maybe I can learn a thing or two."

4:11 PM, Wednesday

"Maybe I wouldn't have to wait for them if they weren't so slow!", Pax snapped back, looking up at Coach Hartley. "Look, I know-", Hartley started. "Oh yeah?", Pax snapped back. Rubbing her temple, Hartley stood up. "Okay. I don't know what you've been through. But this is a team game. You're one of our best players-" Pax just looked away, trying to focus her attention anywhere else. "- but if you keep this up, I going to have to let you go." Widening her eye, she looked back, surprised. "That's not-", she started, but then cut her words short. Hartley shrugged. "Look, work out whatever you're going through with the counselor, but keep it off the field, okay?"

7:01 PM, Thursday

"Jagr isn't home again.", Noah said, not looking up from the game on his phone. "Catharsis of the Soul?", he said with a frown. "Who comes up with these names?" Pax stopped at the doorway to the study, and looked over. "Only two guys outside tonight.", she said plainly, and looked over to Noah. "No.", he stated simply. "No, I know what you're thinking." She leaned on the table, smiling. "Fine, I'll go on my own." He frowned, furrowing his brow. "Oh, now you want me around? Give me a break."

"I'll be like when we snuck out, though! Just, you know, sneaking in!", she said with her smug cheer. "That was 16.", he said aloud. "You snuck out of the base with 16. I told you not to." Pax paused, thoughtful. "Huh. Well, same difference." Noah groaned into his phone, rolling his eye. "Who taught you that saying? It's awful." She shrugged, and sat down. "Look. We need to find out what's going on at NERV. Just in case." He sighed. "What can we do, even if we find out?" She shrugged. "We don't know until we know. C'mooon."

Noah set down his phone, aiming to leave it behind. "Fine. But we have to shake the guys they left outside first..."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dylan James

"Dylan? Did something happen at work? We can talk about it, you know."

"Go away, Marcus."

Marcus makes to speak up, but sighs and walks off. Dylan has spent most of the last 5 days in his room, only coming out for school, food, and work. On the fifth day, he finally managed to drag himself out to Young's.

"The usual, Annie." He orders with none of his usual enthusiasm, worrying the waitress.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Pax and Noah

You slip out of Jagr's apartment unnoticed by Security Division. They're good, but you had to learn to hide from the best. Once you're a few blocks away, you blend in with the crowd; after Second Impact, a pair of twins each missing an eye just isn't that remarkable anymore.

Getting into HQ is trickier, since the access ways are limited by the flooded districts of Boston. You both prove once again that logistics are what makes or breaks an institution and hitch a ride on the midnight ferry to the Bunker Hill Bridge entrance. Without as much staffing as NERV requires, you probably wouldn't be able to get in. You're pilots, after all, and there's always someone nice enough to break security protocol for friendly faces that've "lost" their access cards.

After that, things get problematic. Everywhere useful - the EVA pens, maintenance, the command center, the armories, all of it - are guarded by those black-clad goons Adams brought back. And they're really good. Like they know exactly where you'd be coming from. They did kick Franklin around, so pilot privilege isn't going to save you here. Do you feel brave enough to risk getting caught and the physical penalties involved? Or do you want to try and poke around all the uninteresting places they aren't guarding and hope something falls into your lap?

Dylan

Young's is busy tonight, but for you, their favored son, hometown hero, there's always a booth. You slouch in the vinyl crease. It's noisy, but you can barely hear the furor around you.

Annie comes back with your usual order, faster than anybody else in the place gets theirs. "Jesus, kid," she says. You don't think she'll ever stop calling you that, no matter how young she is herself. "What'd they do to you down there?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dylan James

"It ain't what they did, it's what I did. I messed up on our last mission and put the Wonder Twins in danger. The whole thing was a clusterfuck. I think NERV might be hiding something from us, and everyone's just kinda on edge."

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Franklin Wilson

Franklin spent four of the five days out of the public eye. He didn't do any recordings or filming, or much of anything. Except brood.

loving Wonder Twins. Why were they so serious all the time? They loving had the gall to blame people for mistakes, and not knowing what the gently caress an Angel did. Did they expect everybody to be so loving naturally perfect at fighting? gently caress off! And Dylan was moping about it. Wuss. poo poo happens. And what was the deal with Command? And all those loving soldiers?

They were loving him over. Everything was just holding him back and messing him up, he could be saving humanity and being the goddamn hero and all they did was get in his way -

On the fifth day, he went out, still thinking like this and not really looking where he was going.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Hannah Asagiri

Unsurprisingly, Hannah had indeed dedicated a considerable amount of time to reading about professional baseball after she'd returned to her quarters. She would not be caught unawares next time. Since she had never felt particularly compelled to sleep, and by midafternoon a few days later she'd decided she knew enough for now. There was literally lifetimes upon lifetimes of games and players and events and statistics to memorize! If she was struggling with this, how did actual people manage? Were all sports like this? It became a mystery for some future date, as she was required in the Heart of Paradigm after school today.

She had adapted to the differentness of they used LCL here quicker than she thought she would. Then again, this was where she had actually been born. It was so comforting and warm. The very best feeling. Like coming home, or what she imagined the feeling of coming home to be like. She would stay in here forever, if they'd let her. But it wasn't meant to be. After they were done with her, Hannah decided she wanted to go outside.

Appearing out where others could see her, she had to make at least a half-assed effort to appear normal. This was why she kept her hair short, it seemed to take much less effort to manage that way. Unlike school, where she wasn't able to wear a plug suit, here she just layered on more conventional clothing over top of it. She wasn't going to be particularly close to anyone, and this would let her appear normal enough for dealing with any on-lookers without being thought of as too odd. At least, making her seem less odd than she actually was. Her oddness was a condition she was quite cognizant of, and for some reason it inexplicably embarrassed her that she felt this way about herself at times.

The dark-haired girl found a seat away from the floodlights that illuminated the topside of NERV-1st. As dark as she could hope it to be given where she was. Hannah turned her eyes skyward and silently gazed at the stars.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah
FP: 2

Sitting on top of a stack of empty pallets, Noah looks down to Pax as she comes around the corner. "Looks like they've got all the entrances.", Pax says softly, and Noah hops down. "It'd be too much trouble if we both get caught.", he says softly, before adding, "I'll go, and you check the-" Pax frowns, jabbing him as she retorts, "No, you don't, this was my idea-" Noah spreads his hands, shaking his head, "That's why I can't let-" She makes a fist at him, and he sighs. "Fine."

Pumping their fists for a moment, Pax and Noah both reveal an index and middle finger - scissors and scissors. Then, again, fist meets fist - rock and rock. Then, finally, Noah's hand flattens while Pax's remains balled in a fist. "What, no way!", she proclaims in an frustrated whisper, and Noah looks over before clambering to the top of the pallets to reach the ceiling. "Don't worry, I'll go high, like Batman." Pax stares up, clearly annoyed. "You know Batman isn't real, right?" She sighs, looking around, and then makes her way in the other direction as he climbs atop the open duct work. Problem is, it's open, but maybe he can find some angle from here he's missing. "Dammit, Noah.", she mumbles, and then hurries off.

Actually going to see if I can split up with ... and Make It Double, having Noah take on the dangerous route while Pax goes off to try and find less troublesome avenues. I presume I'd just be making one Stealth roll for both, which is a 4, in any case. I'll invoke Uncertain Loyalties for a fate point, because this certainly embodies it, to bump it to a 6. Oh, and the result of the RPS match was actually randomized.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Dylan

Annie puts her chin in her hand and her eyes flatten. "The super secret robot police that make little kids fight space aliens might be up to somethin' unethical, huh?"

She reaches over across the table and starts fussing with your plate and glass. Her fingers brush yours, briefly, as she looks down at the plastic serving set. "Why don't you just quit? Seriously."

Franklin

Nothing says "great plan" like an angry celebrity going out and about without their media wrangler!

Stumbling through the ritzier parts of the reconstructed Boston highlands, Frankie looks up from his fuming to find himself in a different neighborhood. Never walked this far before, really. It's amazing what being pissed off can do for you. Franklin hears some commotion off in front of him. A group of young men, maybe a couple of years older than him, have temporarily suspended whatever crazy-rear end game they're playing with a stick, a tennis ball and a hoop so they can gawk at him.

"Hey, look, it's that dude from the robot show!"

"You watch that poo poo? It's for babies, bro."

"Shut the gently caress up, Donnie! Hey, hey you! You're that Frank guy from TV, right?"

Franklin has a cluster of admirers now, all getting in his way and asking him stupid questions and taking pictures of him.

"Dude, it totally is him, he lives around here."

"Oh, hey, Frank, do you know any of the real robot pilots?"

"I saw that latest episode, they having you do a heel turn? 'cause that was awesome when you tried to wreck that other robot."

"Hey, can you get me the number of that chick with the one eye? She's hot."

Hannah

This place is like home now. Not exactly like, but similar. You don't feel totally alien now. Nobody gives you inquisitive looks when you wander the halls at weird hours, the night shift security knows your name, the commissary staff don't even blink when you ask for your specific dietary requirements anymore.

Although there is something odd. The new soldiers, the ones in all black. They don't look at you either. And you're one of the only ones who gets that treatment. They give the same creepy gas-mask stare to the staff, the other pilots, even Colonel Jagr. Not you, though.

Hey, a shooting star! Did you make a wish?

Pax and Noah

The twins split up.

Pax tries the ol' HUMINT approach. She walks around the readily-accessible parts of Headquarters, waiting until she's out of sight of the black-clad soldiers and asking any staff or security if they've noticed anything weird. Most of them are happy to talk to one of the famous Evangelion pilots, but unfortunately, they're just as in the dark as you are. Nobody's quite sure what's going on with the new arrivals, and the majority of them aren't even aware of what happened between Jagr and Adams the other day.

Noah starts crawling through air ducts and bypassing security equipment. This is surely not a terrible idea.

It takes a while for him to get anywhere, on account of the slow business of infiltration. In the course of his travels, he occasionally gets the chance to peek out of the vents and registers. Mostly, things seem normal, albeit with the presence of the commandos. You notice some of them are setting up checkpoints in the hallways, some of them with heavy weapons. They seem to let the staff move unobstructed, although they're staring hard at everyone behind their masks. Noah even manages to get a view of the EVA pens, albeit from way up high in the utility equipment. Looks like the maintenance staff are busy.

Pax goes back to their shared infiltration point to wait. Her brother's been gone a long time, and even weird child soldiers get tired eventually. A helpful jolt of adrenaline comes before long, though, as two of the masked soldiers enter the utility room with her. They look at the vent, then at each other, and stay still for a while. One of them eventually breaks their staring contest, and they both leave. Not long after, Noah shimmies out of the vent, his reconnaissance complete.

Guards notice: 3

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Rabah

"Of course I saw it!" Rabah mutters to herself over a bowl of pho. "I hate this secrecy poo poo."

"What poo poo, gurl?"

Oh nooooo.

It's Saturday, isn't it?

Jaime's winning grin isn't lifting her spirits much. But it's something.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dylan James

Dylan sighs and looks down at Annie's hands. "As much as I'd like to, I...actually feel useful doin' this stuff. And it feels nice being able to tell those St. Tommy's assholes who said I'd never amount to anything to suck it. I just....I just gotta do better next time, is all."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Rabbah

"Looks like you forgot this time," Jamie says. A couple of ticks pass. "You look all distracted. What," she says, imitating the headline guest-star of intergenerational classic Boston Legal. "Is your mind on?"

Dylan

Annie stands up and looks you in the eyes. She thinks she looks sad. You think she looks like she's about to throw up. "Jesus," she says, then goes back to work.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Hannah Asagiri

In the span of a heartbeat, the meteor comes and goes. Flaring up and winking out, burned into nothingness high above the ground. Hannah found herself wishing that the meteor could have reached the surface, could have experienced it's journey through to the end. It was foolishness for sure, to think such a thing, that she and it were kin in some odd way.

How many falling stars burned up in the sky, with no one seeing, or no one caring? How often did one reach the ground? Very, very few, she was certain. If she went back inside and researched the matter some she suspected she could come up with a fairly accurate estimate. Was she herself destined to flare up and burn out as well? In spite of beating the odds so far, the chances of seeing her own journey through to the end remained infinitesimally small. There had been three other Hannah's before her and most of the world didn't know about them. Those that did almost certainly didn't care. They had been failures, after all.

Space was vast and cold and lonely. The clone's eyes returned to the world around her. Vast, cold, and lonely in it's own right. The prospect of being discarded and forgotten was suddenly unappealing. Perhaps tomorrow she'd start taking steps towards being remembered. It was time to go back inside, she'd decided.

Passing back through the main gate, she passed by a number of the new soldiers. The black-haired girl paid them no heed, and they returned the favor. Now bathed in the incandescence of NERV-1st's interior, as she stepped into an elevator (whose entrance was flanked by two more such soldiers) an odd thought struck her, to who else did these mystery men also grant carte blanche?

bahamut fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 21, 2015

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Franklin Wilson

Oh, what the gently caress. He didn't need this right now. Heel turn? Did this fucker not WATCH what was happening? He didn't know Pax's number! Why the gently caress would he want anything to do with her? And all these older kids were crowding around him, blitzing him with dumbass questions, he couldn't breathe

"Jesus gently caress! Everybody back the gently caress up, alright?" Franklin's shouting at the top of his lungs. "I can't breathe with you schmucks crowding me out! God! And no, you can't have Pax's number! What kinda question is that?"

Self-compel - Franklin thinks They're Holding Me Back, so it makes sense that he'd lash out at his fans. Dang.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Rabah Iowa

"I can't tell you anything in detail..." says Rabah warily. "But... well, they're expecting us to do a bunch of world-saving work without telling us anything about what we're doing already. That's all well and good. But now they're expecting us to do it half-blind, or maybe they were the whole time and I only noticed now. And it's pissing me off," she finishes, deadpan as anything. If she's pissed off, it's not showing.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Hannah

Well, in once sense, you've got your uniqueness cut out for you. On reflection, you're the only one who gets ignored by the soldiers that you've seen, period.

Franklin

That's got a reaction. The one who wants Pax's phone number is disgusted, while one of the ones shoving his phone in your face is giggling like a hyena. You want to grind his face into the wall.

Is shouting all you do?

Rabbah

"Yah, it shows," Jamie says. She toys with the straw in her drink for a couple seconds.

"Hey," she says. "You were all Captain America before, right? Yes sir, no sir, sir sir. How come this gets you?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah
FP: 1

On the edge of the NERV compound, the two twins stand in the shadows. "They're messing around in my Eva?", Pax says in hushed exasperation. "Our eva.", Noah points out. "Oh, like you wanted to pilot it.", Pax points back. "It's not like I don't want to stop the Angels.", Noah says back, and then adds, "But they're just using us. Who's going to stop them?" Pax stares at him, arms folded, and then blows her bangs out of her face, pondering.

"Dr. Laboe.", Pax says, pointing over. "Oh yeah, she's a terrible counselor-", Noah replies. "- but she's the weakest link.", Pax adds, finishing his sentence. "They're going to be looking for us once they realize we're unobserved-", Noah points out. Pax nods, adding, "- but not wherever she's at. Her office?" Noah squints. "Her home. C'mon. And stop synching so hard."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Jenny has visitors. How the hell are they here at this hour?

• Locked thread