Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!
Hannah Asagiri
FP: 5/5 Physical: OOO Mental: OOOO

"It's not far now," Hannah remarks, trying to sound encouraging before the other girl has even finished catching her breath. It's then, the dark-haired girl notices a vaguely familiar shape breaking through the surface of the LCL. Trying to haul Rabah up onto the platform she's situated on, the clone squints into the darkness, making an effort to confirm her suspicions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Franklin Wilson

Ugh. He had a point. Leaving the commander to die here wouldn't look good. So, there was an explosion and the commander was dead. Where were you? Oh, really? And besides, the gas-mask soldiers didn't look like people who asked questions. Or said anything, really.

Franklin looks down and realizes that his lovely medical training will probably not be able to fit Jagr's insides back inside his body. poo poo. Well, okay, he needs help. He's got his phone - reception down here is shaky but...

Spending fate point to declare a story detail - since Money Rules Franklin's Life, there's a network of people around him to keep him safe and attend to his whims, including a medical team in case he is injured.

"Yo, medical? I need help down here!" Franklin's still shouting down the phone. "There's been an attack or, or something! I need medical help, there's a guy here who's down! Get some help! Get the cops! Anything!"

Hopefully this works, or Jagr is going to die right here.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Dr. Laboe

"You what," Adams manages. Her tone of voice indicates you have done something she finds foolish or offensive, like letting an untrained child into the cockpit of an Evangelion unit, or that you have been posting videos of top secret areas of HQ on Youtube.

It's definitely the most animated you've seen her. That's definitely an unhealthy shade of red to turn. Hey, this is kinda fun!

"Where are they." You've got maybe an inch on Adams - she's quite short for someone so militaristic - but she manages to nearly haul you off your feet when she grabs you by the collar. This is not as fun.

Hannah

Oh, it's one of your clones. Though curiously, a little older than you, maybe three or four years? Dressed in black and wearing that odd checkerboard logo on her shoulder.

Well, that explains why the black-clad soldiers didn't seem to pay you much mind, at least.

Hmm. You might want to get Rabah to clear some of that LCL out of her eyes. And maybe get her to let go of the body first.

-

Deleter: So here is a thing. I will be blunt and say that a non-NERV team from the surface probably doesn't stand a good chance of getting to Jagr in time. You will definitely have Franklin's bases covered if anyone asks some pointed questions about accountability, which will not require any fate point expenditure. You still want to spend your FP for a negligible benefit?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Dr. Laboe

Jenny blinks, utterly confused.
"In the ducts? I'll be easier to shimmy down to the EVAs via confined spaces. The main lift elevators are too large for anything other than proper climbing equipment. I'm not familiar with the floor plans on lower levels, I couldn't think of a more reliable path."
She frowns slightly.
"I'm surprised we don't have regular stairs leading there. Surely an attack of this type, or even just an attack on the elevators, was considered?"

She tilts her head quizzically, looking down at Adams.
"Is there a problem? We should get moving. Oh!"
She shuffles for something in an inner jacket pocket, pulling out a small radio.
"If you've got an alternate route down and need them to pull back, we can call them on this. I gave Pax one when I was considering the possibility of this being an attack by those strange soldiers. Which it obviously isn't. Anyway, radio, here, if you need to get them. I've got a low band channel programmed in on both as a secondary monitor so you should be able to get her even if she's not fiddling with it. Reception obviously isn't going to be great down here so you should call soon. I need to get to command. Okay?"

This close, she smells a bit odd. Dirt and stress, and she's never acted this friendly towards Adams since... well, ever.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Nah, you're right. I'll try something else.

Franklin Wilson

"scrbblrbw wgillflf wbl?"

"gently caress!" Franklin hangs up. No reception. Shiiiit. Well, there has to be SOMETHING on Jagr's person he can use to call for help. With a lot of reluctance, he begins filing through Jagr's pockets for a phone, a panic alarm, anything...

Jesus, there's way too many pockets. Jagr must be a fan of trenchcoats.

Since there doesn't appear to be any aspects I can use to just create the story detail, I'll roll to create one.

Create Advantage with Notice: 4dF+2 0

That was garbage. There isn't any opposition, so I'll spend a Fate Point to invoke Defender of Earth - Franklin might be an rear end, but he won't let the commander die. I'll just bump it to 2, seeing as a reroll could end up worse and there's nothing really opposing Franklin. The aspect will be Jagr's Many Wonderful Pockets. I'll pause to see if the aspect is completed before I do anything else with it.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Rabah

Rabah shakes her head, clearing the worst of the goo off her face. Embarrassing. Needing help. Weak. Disappointing. She'll-

She looks at Hannah. She looks at Hannah.

"...the gently caress is this, Asagiri?" she snarls. "I thought- Nevermind. Did you have any idea?"

Sorry, caught the flu. Better now!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Pax and Noah

There's some squinting and flailing involved, but after a bit Noah spots a track on the wall. It's about a hand-span across, and sunk into the side of the shaft. There's probably some kind of small elevator that crawls up and down the thing when the power's on. It's almost side-on to where the two of you are, so good job spotting it. And conveniently within arm's reach.

And also a straight drop into darkness. It's an object lesson in precisely how deep Headquarters plunges into the earth. If you slip up here, you are definitely not making it out alive. Moreover, you'll have time to contemplate what's happening to you as you fall.

So, hope you've been working on your grip strength.

You can climb straight down, but you may get hurt in the process. How you get there is up to you.

Dr. Laboe

"Down to-"

Adams lets go of you, and visibly takes a moment to collect herself.

I'm not sure if you're setting up for something, but at the moment she is both distracted and off her guard, so now would be the time. Otherwise, I'll keep going.

Franklin and Dylan

Franklin rummages through Jagr's pockets. Well, he probably won't need this stuff anymore.

While Franklin, public personality and TV star, robs a dying man, Dylan checks the rest of the stairwell. Fortunately NERV is ADA-compliant, and there's an evacuation chair folded up on one of the walls a couple flights back. You can use this to carry the colonel if you really need to. Of course, that requires knowing where you're going.

Frankie creates his aspect. What's the plan now?

-

What exactly is Hannah looking for?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Dr. Laboe does not have the mental capacity for guile at the moment. She honestly didn't see the problem with children crawling around in ventilation ducts; it's the most efficient option, and they seemed enthusiastic, so why not?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Dr. Laboe

Adams takes off her glasses and pinches the bridge of her nose.

"We are under attack by UNFOR, under the auspices of the people that made those children, and you let them go? To get-"

The tactical officer has to stop herself again or she's going to crush her glasses with her bare hand.

"Doctor," she says, in a far more measured tone. "You may have just killed us all. If you will come with me, there is a small chance we can still stop them."

Adams gestures down the tram tunnel.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Dr. Laboe

Jenny blinks, then grows considerably more animated, snatching the radio back and futzing with the dials, jogging down the tunnel.
"Pax! Pax! Do you read? The situation has updated. There is no Angel. I repeat, there is no Angel! Return and regroup! Hostiles are in the complex!"
Shoving the radio in the crook of her neck, she manages, against all odds, to properly draw and load her gun, keeping it in hand and returning to the radio.
"Pax. Pax, do you read? The enemy is human. There is no Angel. Return and regroup."

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Hannah Asagiri

This was an uncomfortable position to be in. She'd known all along who and what she was, but somehow, looking down at a lifeless reflection of herself made her feel uncomfortable. Not because she was floating there dead, but because there had been another active version of herself. Was this the only one? Considering her nature, probably not. These troubling thoughts were interrupted by Rabah's interrogative.

"I... I'm not sure," Hannah replies, her uncertain tone playing off of the shock of this discovery. But what followed was a lie, "my mother died in the Second Impact. My dad raised me alone."

If she had to guess, this older version of herself was probably some sort of prototype that proved unsuitable for piloting, but was still useful for other things (like being a faceless soldier). She was left to wonder how many more versions of herself were behind the masks of these black-clad soldiers. Hannah stood up, peering up into the shadowy recesses of the base. Her thoughts turning back to the more pressing matter at hand, just like she had been designed to do.

"No matter what is going on here, we still need to get to the pens, " the black haired girl states, "we shouldn't have to do any more swimming."

Glancing down at her dead self, Hannah concludes, "whatever her story is, we'll have to come back to it when it's less dangerous."

She wished this would be forgotten. But somehow, she suspected it was a wish in vain.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Pax and Noah

Spotting the elevator track, Pax reaches out for it, taking hold. As she reaches out with her leg, Noah comes forward, taking her free hand and bracing her. Taking up the flashlight in her mouth, she moves free to grip the track... and then a phone rings. There's a moment where she slips an inch as she tenses, and then looks to Noah. Noah puts down his hat in the vent before hanging out of the vent, swinging over to reach over to take up the phone, letting it ring for a moment before he takes the flashlight as well. Hanging upside-down, he puts the phone to his ear, listening.

Jenny, on her end, likely hears the white noise that is wind on a radio line, which gets louder and louder, becoming a sort of whistle before the line just cuts when the radio hits the bottom of the shaft.

Looking to Pax, Noah lets his now-empty hand hang after dropping the comm. She looks to him, and then she just starts moving as he tucks the flashlight in his belt to swing over and get a grip with his hands. Reaching up, Pax braces his foot for a moment, and then they start moving downward, focusing on the long task ahead of them. Meanwhile, Noah's hat remains in the ventilation shaft, and he looks to it, but tries to shut out all distractions as he moves after.

Let's see. First, let's call the aspect they have for making this extremely difficult climb A Promising Gap. Secondly, I'd like to call a self-compel on Uncertain Loyalties to cut off that communication when suspicions are highest it a dramatic way, I may. And then an Athletics overcome seems to be in order. That's a 4, but I'll invoke A Promising Gap for free twice (presuming a success with style on the Create Advantage result, above), and a fate point to invoke 2 > 1 for their cooperation to bump it to 10.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 27, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dylan James

Dylan grabs the chair, unfolding it and rolling it towards Jagr.

"You got any idea where we wanna go, Hollywood?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Dr. Laboe

"poo poo!"
She fiddles with the radio a bit more, then stows it, still jogging with Adams.
"There was a response, and maybe they heard something, but it sounds like they dropped it down a shaft. Reception was still clear enough to hear that much, but also not any screaming, so they should still be fine. What's the status on everyone else?"

She frowns, glancing back down the corridor.
"Also, what the hell is going on? Were those soldiers from earlier UNFOR? I had assumed they were sent by the 'shadowy parent organization' that keeps skulking around the margins and blacking out half the reports I get, but what the hell is this? And they're the ones responsible for the twins? Does that apply to Asagiri as well? And why the gently caress are they bothering to cut the power if they already run the place?"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Pax and Noah

In spite of tremendous odds, the two of you make it down a seemingly-bottomless, sheer-sided pit without injury or undue fatigue.

What is left of your radio is spread over a surprisingly large area. If it didn't hit terminal velocity (indoors, even) it certainly made a good attempt.

Your hands hurt quite a bit.

The Eva pens are...probably down that side shaft. It smells like LCL down here, sweet and coppery. Cloying, really.

Your way seems unobstructed. It could be a matter of minutes before you're back in your Evangelion, safe and ready to ruin things.

Gimme a notice check. And stop rolling so drat well!

Dr. Laboe

"The post-Impact consolidation didn't make a lot of friends among the hardline elements of the old national powers. They've been working to subvert the UN military ever since."

Adams is in front of you, but you can still tell she's rolling her eyes. You can practically hear it. "Generals and bureaucrats. You'd think Second Impact would have been enough for them.

"It's insulting, honestly. No one in UNFOR tolerates us, but we might not even be the primary objective of their operation. This could all be an attempt by that coterie of bastards to generate bad PR for UNFOR."

The tactical officer takes a few more steps, then stops and turns back to you. "Wait. Asagiri?"

Waiting on K and Deleter's possible responses for our other sets.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Franklin Wilson

"poo poo, poo poo, poo poo..."

Franklin looks up. Dylan's shout is audible and kind of fuzzy, but legible.

"We need to get him to a medic or something! He's gonna bleed out!" Think, think. "We can't move him, that might make it loving worse. Hang on, maybe..."

Spending Fate point to declare story details - Jagr's Many Wonderful Pockets do indeed have a gun in them, or at least on his person.

Aha. A pistol. Franklin had never fired a gun at anyone - his dad had taken him to target ranges, and he'd fired blanks for commercials. But not a real one. He's suddenly very aware of how heavy it feels in its hands. He looks up at Dylan and finally, actually sees the emergency chair. "Oh, okay, that works. Let's get him in that, we need to find someone who can actually save a loving life."

Come on, come on... there has to be a medic somewhere, Franklin thinks, as they haul Jagr into the chair. Surely there was a map, or orientation, or something... He desperately tries to remember as they wheel Jagr down the stairs...

Okay, let's roll to find out where the gently caress to go. This is most likely a Will roll as its a mental challenge.
[Overcome Will to remember where the hospital is at: 4dF+4 5

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Franklin remembers the hospital is deep in the guts of HQ, down an emergency elevator from the surface or across a tram line.

Alternatively, there's definitely an aid station back at the surface terminal. Of course, the two of you would have to haul Jagr up a very large set of flights of stairs.

One is a long distance to the side, while the other is a shorter but still lengthy distance vertically.

Of course, you have Jagr's keys now.

And a gun. It gives you an incredible surge of power, like how God must feel when he's holding a gun.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Rabah

Rabah is about to comment further when a little voice in the back of her head reminds her there are things to be done, and frankly, who doesn't have a few skeletons, or terrifying clones, in their closet...

Worrying about this can wait until later; besides it does explain quite a lot about everyone's new paragon of virtue. Made to win... well, Rabah was made a different way. Whittled into shape. Not the time, though.

"Yeah. Let's go."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Dr. Laboe

Jenny raises an eyebrow, still jogging, but slows.
"You know... 'made'?"
She pauses, then grumbles slightly, massaging her brows.
"I don't know why you're so surprised. Or why you and Marcus try to keep me out of the loop when half the time I apparently know more than the both of you. Asagiri is a partial derivation of the Ayanami project. At least, that's my assumption. I got a lot of heavily redacted notes in her personnel file, but along with her behavior it was enough to read between the lines. I've even got a partially composed letter on my tablet praising their force-growing and education methods in terms of final temperament and suggesting they ramp up production. I'd also assumed that she was an indication they still had enough stored material to continue the dummy plug project, and I was surprised when Marcus said it had been... scrapped..."

She stops, eyes growing wide.
"Oh gently caress me. They're just planning on killing all the pilots and recovering the EVAs, aren't they? It doesn't matter that they couldn't field replacements, they'll just override everything. gently caress gently caress gently caress!"
And now she's jogging again.
"How the hell are we supposed to fight UNFOR on a long term basis? The EVAs are tethered to the power plants. Should we just try to evacuate and run?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

Pax wrings her hands as Noah crouches near the communicator. "They're going to have a hard time catching up now.", he says. She squints, saying, "We're going to be in a lot of trouble when they do..." He looks over. "Hey, you want to make sure the Eva's safe, right?" She looks sheepish, falling quiet. "C'mon, let's see what's going on at the platforms.", he adds, looking down the side shaft cautiously before he starts down it.

Just wanted to push things along, so I gave a really hard shove! Also the mysterious Notice check is a 4.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Dr. Laboe

You're getting the eye again.

"We have a cloning program? Or programs?" Adams reaches out and snags you by your coat collar. She gently but firmly moves you behind her, which is admittedly patronizing, but at least she seems okay with getting shot first.

"Alright. Alright. We need to get down to Command first. Strategic decisions can wait until we have a better picture of the situation. When we get there, you check the MAGI. I'll handle the launches."

Gimme an open check of your choice to expedite your trip to the command center. How does Jenny get herself and Adams where they're going as fast as possible?

Rabah and Hannah

You leave the clone where you washed ashore, but as you pick your way towards the Evas, you find more of Hannah's sisters.

There was quite a firefight down here. Bullet strikes have marred most of the industrial components you can see, and there's shell casings from small arms and heavier weapons strewn about. Some of the bodies are the black-clad soldiers Adams brought with her. It takes just a few peeks under their masks to determine they're all from the same set of clones.

There are other bodies, men and women in uniforms devoid of insignia. They are wearing the support harnesses and packs typical of soldiers, but they've all been stripped of their gear. Whoever did it left the equipment Hannah's sisters were using behind, at least.

Rabah doesn't recognize the cut of the uniform. If someone were being really, really secret squirrel, they'd have something custom made for their commandos so as not to leave a trace of their country of origin.

There is no one immediately nearby. EVA-01's pen is a few dozen yards down the dock, with each subsequent Evangelion unit lined up further down.

It seems like the way is clear, up until someone way down the line shouts.

Pax and Noah

The two of you make your way through the shaft with little incident. You're almost at the Eva pens when Pax hears something - it sounds exactly like someone bumping their gear harness with a rifle when shouldering the thing. Someone maybe ten meters in front of you and a little off to the left shouts.

If you didn't know better, they said "Well Victory Walk." Which is one of the sign/countersign cues they used when your cadre was doing field training.

But that would be insane.

Right?

Pax and Noah know the countersign, whatever that may be.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Hannah Asagiri

Hannah doesn't try explain herself upon their latest discovery, these lifeless facsimiles of herself strewn about the passageway. What could she even say? Encountering just one other of her might have been an odd coincidence, but a half-dozen more? Hannah felt a deep shame welling up inside of her. When all was said and done everyone would know, if one of the others hadn't encountered a similar scene and made their own discovery, then Rabah would surely make the announcement. That she wasn't like the rest of them, that she wasn't actually a -real person-.

It was the truth, of course. But Hannah had come to take solace in those rare and fleeting moments where what she was didn't matter to her and she was simply taken at face value by those around her. These moments would be gone forever now. Her eyes began to sting. Tears were a thing she did not often experience.

A voice, but Hannah couldn't tell what was said. The raven-haired girl knelt down and picked up a weapon, an assault rifle curiously similar to the colossal pallet rifle she'd been trained to use in Unit-06. Without looking back, she passes it to Rabah before grabbing another for herself. Keeping near the side of the passage, the clone advances slowly with her rifle at the ready. Inner turmoil was one thing. The mission was another.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

Pax was helped into the room roughly before collapsing. She looked weak, having bled from a split lip, but just mumbled, looking confused. The children looked amongst each other, but it was Noah that stepped forward. "She's sick, we have to do something." Voices echoed around him. "Shouldn't we wait for the white-coats?" "I don't want to get near her if she's sick..." "She's been punished for what she did, hasn't she?"

Noah reached up to try and pull her up, and she focused on him dimly. "Water. She needs water.", he said, in slight disbelief. None of them had been treated like this before. Anger began to come up. "Don't just stand there! Get me some water!"

Noah froze as he heard the sound of the gun. Was somebody trying to fool them? Well, if they had a gun, all he could do is buy time-

"Honi soit qui mal y pense.", Pax speaks aloud. Shame be to him who thinks evil of it. She looks to Noah. Though they're part of the project, they're hardly in uniform or in their plug suits. If the shooting starts, one of them takes a bullet. The other takes the gun. Or, at least, that's how the theory goes. When there were thirty of them, some notion of sacrifice was presumed in their training. Now that there are two of them, some hesitation has crept in.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Franklin Wilson

Okay, okay. Probably don't have much time. Aid station.

"Come on, Dlyan. Let's get this guy up to the aid station, quick. if we stabilize him we can get some real medical dudes up there..."

Franklin helps Dylan with the emergency chair. God, dying people are heavy. Ha. Haha. Hahahahahaha.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Rabah

Rabah checks her weapon. Not ID locked, safety's off, only about- she pops the magazine, weighs it in her hand- half full. She swaps it for one off a different dead body. You never know when you'll need all 60 rounds.

For example, when someone's shouting something too far away to be comprehended. Rabah does the standard hand signals at Hannah- wait, move here, cover and advance- and ducks into the first side-catwalk she can, peering into shadow. Shadow... drat. She thinks of an idea.

Retreating to Hannah's position, she whispers in the clone's ear. "Think one of those helmets can fit you? Maybe the visors have night or low light vision enhancers."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dylan James

"Jesus, there's blood everywhere. We gotta get him there fast!"

Dylan looks around as Jagr is loaded into the chair.

"So, which way's medical?"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Pax and Noah

Something clicks, and you're blinded for a second. Then the painfully bright light goes away. Someone is speaking with a British accent.

"Contact with both subjects."

Fewer rifles are pointed in your direction. One of the soldiers even walks up to you. She's devoid of any kind of threatening body language. It's fairly surreal, given the context.

"Good, glad you made it. We're your escort. Time to get in the robot, hm?"

For Hannah and Rabah, lemme know what your (possibly literal) plan of attack is.

For Dylan and Franklin, lemme see either an Athletics or a Physique check from each of you, to see how long it takes you to haul Jagr around.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

"Shouldn't we get suited up, first?", Noah asks, squinting at the light. He looks away from Pax, who puts her hand to her brow to try and block out the light and get a better view. "They shouldn't be far." Pax leans in towards the nearby soldier, seeing what she can make out of a face behind the helmet. "... ma'am.", he concludes, saluting. Pax pauses, looking over, and then wobbles to a salute in belated realization.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Hannah Asagiri

Rabah's idea seems sound enough, and with a quick nod she agrees. Considering their once-living owners were all older variations of herself, Hannah had little doubt that if there was something special about these helmets, they'd work for her just as well. Outwardly, she presented that same dedicated detachment she usually did, only briefly betrayed by how she gently eased the lifeless head of her copy back to the ground after having removed its headgear. Steeling herself, Hannah dons the unfamiliar piece of equipment to confirm Rabah's thoughts.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Pax and Noah

"Would that we could, but matters are pressing, hmm? Tight timetable, and all."

It would appear stalling will take a little more than worrying about your wardrobe. What about the Eva launch sequence wouldn't someone outside of NERV know?

Hannah

The helmet is slightly big on you. And while there is a night-vision monocular built into the mask, there is also a radio.

You hear your own voice narrating a report of battles throughout the complex. You're not sure you've heard of some of these places, but none of it sounds good. There's a major push towards the control complex.

You're able to follow which voice is which without any difficulties. The problem is that every so often, one of the voices - your voice - chokes off in a gurgling rasp, or suddenly blanks out of the channel in a storm of static.

The radio is built into the helmet and mask. Using one means using the other.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Hannah Asagiri
FP: 4/5 Physical: OOO Mental: OOOO

Time seemed slow. It was weird to hear herself say things that she knows she'd probably be dutifully saying herself in their position. But paradoxically she wasn't, and she had her own set of orders to fulfill. Get to her EVA, and secondarily make sure that Rabah got to hers. With the vision advantage the helmet provides, Hannah looks down the EVA dock gantry. The idea that what she saw could be pivotal hadn't quite dawned upon her, but it would certainly dictate what she (and probably Rabah) did next.

Using Notice to, well, Notice any goings on up ahead! 4df+5=3, and I'll invoke Manufactured Being to bump this up to 5!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

"You already have the launch platforms and central control...?", he says, looking towards the direction of the voice. They'd already have to prepared the plugs, then. Of course, it has to be one of their entry plugs, but that should be obvious enough. Pax pokes at the soldier's faceplate once, and then starts after. "So you've figured out how to fake an angel attack in the system, then?" It's a fair point to make. "MAGI won't allow an armed Eva launch without it." Looking up, Pax squints. "Really?" Noah looks over to her, and she adds quickly, "Oh, right!"

It sounds plausible. Ish.

Well, only got a 1 to create an advantage with Deceit ("Plausible Uncertainties"), but going to invoke Uncertain Loyalties to increase it to 3, at least.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Franklin Wilson

"Medicals on the other loving side of the facility. We don't have time right now. If we can stabilise him maybe we can get him there. C'mon, help me get this sack of poo poo upstairs."

God, he's heavy. Franklin begins to wish he'd tried harder at gym.

Physique Overcome to haul Jagr: 4dF+4 5

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Hannah

The radio traffic is worrying. Not just for its content, but for the thing itself. You feel bad in a way you've never really experienced and can't put a name to. This is probably not good for you in the long term.

You peer through the goggles. They're not top of the line - some of the details are fuzzy and washed with static, but you've got good perception of movement. There's no zoom function, unfortunately. As a result, you can make out the large group of people in what look like military fatigues, loaded down with a lot of gear, facing two smaller people. You would be willing to bet good money, if you had any use for money, that there're two Eva pilots at the mercy of these military types.

You see one of the invaders lean a little bit, and you don't need the goggles to see or hear the gunshot that follows.

Rabah

You hear this really unpleasant whispering from Hannah's headset, and then the pop of a pistol shot from up ahead. You get a glimpse of what looks like a commando squad silhouetted against the muzzle flash, and then your night vision is hosed for a few seconds.

Pax and Noah

The woman sighs, then says "Alright, then."

Before either of you can get out of the way, she draws a gun and fires.

Noah's vision goes red, and the perception of his body below the waist disappears in a razor-blade fog. That deck plating looks a lot closer - you think she just destroyed your kneecap. You think. Thinking is suddenly very difficult.

The woman's gun stays locked on Noah, but the rest of her friends train their weapons on Pax. For some reason, the sight of all those deep black bores makes the back of her throat itch. "Now then, dear. Get in the robot and turn it on, or I'll have to hurt him again."

Hum. For once, Pax is not the one suffering. How curious.

ARB, defend against a +4 hit.

Waffle, you gonna let that poor pampered wastrel haul a dead man up thirty flights of stairs all by his lonesome?

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Rabah

Firefight. First rule of a firefight: assume anyone firing might be hostile. Get to cover. Then figure out who's on what side.

Rabah is already reacting before the echoing shot noise dies down. "Asagiri, if you can identify hostiles, return fire!" she hisses while dropping as crouched as she can. Not prone. Not here- mobility might be vital. No time to waste crawling or getting one's knees under you. "I'll cover once they scatter and I can tell where not to shoot!" And with that, she scuttles off into the darkness, seeking a position unlikely to be noticed.

Deceive (Conceal): 4dF+3 6Deceive (Conceal): 4dF+3 6 to conceal myself and generate Aspect Ambush Position

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dylan James

Dylan attempts to help Franklin in lifting Jagr.

Physique: 0

But his hands are slippery with blood.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Dr. Laboe

Jenny rolls her eyes.
"Of course we do. Several. Do you even know what the EVAs are? Or you think, what, we amazingly bioengineered giants from nothing with 20th century technology, just in time to fight space aliens?"
Jenny grumbles, then stops, glancing at an elevator door.
"Alright, and this is bullshit. If this is just... people, then we should still have trickle power going, and I should be able to engage a tertiary generator and do some rerouting and get at least one of these functioning again."

She shims open a panel, pulls out a minitablet, and mutters under her breath for a few minutes. It's probably going to take a few minutes more. Also the soldiers are probably covering the elevators already, and definitely will if there's a power spike, but apparently Jenny's not thinking about that.

Science 1.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pax and Noah

Flinching, Pax is quiet for a long moment as she looks over, and winces in empathetic pain. It's not necessarily the psychic link of fiction, but the shock is similar enough. She looks to Noah as he drops to a crouch, holding onto his leg as it leaks blood. Or whatever resembles a leg. Taking a breath, she says, "It's- it's going to be a lot harder now that you shot my leg-dominant copilot in the leg." Fingering her eyepatch self-consciously, "We haven't even tested single-pilot startup and launch." No deception there, she's being perfectly honest. In theory, it might work. "The plug is ready and flushed?"

Noah looks up to Pax, and tries to force himself up before crashing to the floor. There's a moment as he mumbles, "Sorry, Pax." She leans over towards him, and shakes her head. "Don't worry, I'll take care of everything this time. You just stay here."

Noah defends with Physique with a 1. So, you wanted bad rolls?

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Hannah Asagiri
FP: 3/5 Physical: OOO Mental: OOOO

She didn't like this helmet, but she was powerless to do anything about it, particularly now. There would be time to sort out her feelings afterwards, and if there wasn't, well, at least her successor wouldn't... no, no, this was a bad train of thought.

Rabah does her thing, which snaps Hannah back to the here and now. She immediately obliges the militaristic girl, dropping to one knee and adopting an attack profile. The clone levels her assault rifle and aims for the one who shot first. She squeezes the trigger twice, selects the next closest target and does the same. Hannah repeats the process as surely and as swiftly as she can, trying to get as many as she can before chaos descends.

Using Combat to gun down the military types. 4dF+4=3, and I'll be invoking Manufactured Being to also bump this up to 5!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Dr. Laboe

Jenny puts that PhD to use as a commercial electrician. Maybe not the proudest moment of her life, but it eventually works. The elevator's systems come back on line, and a grinding noise can be heard behind the armored doors.

And from Adams' teeth. The commander is content to stew in silence for a while as she grinds her molars into fine powder.

The doors wind open and you've got a straight shot to the command sector, and a long, tense ride there.

"Doctor," she eventually says, once you're around B-36. "Once things have settled down, it would... be best for operational integrity if we had a long, frank discussion about our respective fields of knowledge."

Was... was that Adams trying to open up to you? Still, there's something comfortably human about that basic level of interpersonal awkwardness, even in the face of possible treason and death.

The elevator opens too, into a firefight. Those soldiers in black are holed up along with some of the command staff, firing down off the command platform at an angry, well-armed group of people down below. Adams shoves your head down and practically hauls you along the bridge, but the two of you make it there in one piece. She's barking orders immediately, audible over the near-constant gunfire. Eventually, she gets to you.

Adams points to a hatch set flush with the floor of the command pillar. It leads to the MAGI's guts. "Doctor, get us back online."

Another open check - Jenny needs to restart the MAGI and get things working again. You'll do it, but it's another question of how fast it happens.

K Prime: Is Rabah going to open up with Hannah? You may be able to take the invaders by surprise if you both coordinate.

• Locked thread