Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

thathonkey posted:

PS. I think high refresh rate makes tv and movies look fake as poo poo imo it is really only useful for me when i watch football. Also im old.

:agreed: glad i'm not the only one who noticed this. it does look really weird. i pointed it out a couple times to friends and no one else seemed to notice :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
It looks "fake" because you are used to 24 fps from movies and associate anything higher with TV. Someone who doesn't have that exposure would think 24 fps looks more fake. It's annoying that we can't seem to get a way from 24 fps because of codgers who are unwilling to give it time to get used to it.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I'm not going to debate science about this, but I know the difference between 30 and 60 and also i liked The Hobbit more in HFR.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
hey hey hey in mortal combat x on pc, when those fatalities and x-ray moves pop off, the frame rate drops to 30 from 60 and for some reason you don't hear nerds screaming about terrible that is; why are they okay wiht taht

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Germstore posted:

It looks "fake" because you are used to 24 fps from movies and associate anything higher with TV. Someone who doesn't have that exposure would think 24 fps looks more fake. It's annoying that we can't seem to get a way from 24 fps because of codgers who are unwilling to give it time to get used to it.

yea this is prolly true :corsair:

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Germstore posted:

ive been using 24 fps for my stuff forever and i've never questioned why

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Germstore posted:

no its fake because its turning the framerate up 5 times with 24 fps of source. it looks like utter poo poo this way

nobody sees 120 fps and goes "wow thatl ooks fake" if it was actually filmed that way (which is of course exceedingly rare), but the same goes for 48 hz which is far more common. But the moment you start fudging 80% of the frames it looks weird as poo poo. Its like the uncanny valley of framerates

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
24p causes your brain to fill in more details and has greater motion blur and basically just owns

wave your hands in front of your face and notice the motion blur, then record at 60p and compare

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
waving hand in front of face furiously

what fps was this again

what if I use two hands

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
24p means your shutter is usually open for 1/48th a second for film, tv, whatever

60p means 1/120th a second (generally)

things move less far in 1/120th a second than they do in 1/48th a second

so yeah, there's more blur in movies than videogames or 60p sports broadcasts and your brain seems to interepret the lack of blur as a heightened sense of reality while movies might even be a slightly dulled sense compared to eyes which have no refresh rate yet have motion blur

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

krampster2 posted:

omfg... that is like saying 160kps mp3 is same as 320 flac oh my friggin god op...

I know you're trolling. But even reading this made my head hurt.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Germstore posted:

Actually it's 90% of the time because those TV's have motion interpolation on by default which makes everything move and look like poo poo.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
in fact, you can almost single handily blame "120hz techonology!!!!!" for being the "codger" of getting stuck with 24 fps germstore, because 99% of people think thats what 120 fps really means and looks like.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
120hz displays are good

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
30 fps is a scam by the movie companies so they only have to use half as much film! 50% production cost.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i am a codger apparently. probably true. how young would you have to be to grow up watching mostly 120hz displays? like younger than 15 im thinking.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

thathonkey posted:

i am a codger apparently. probably true. how young would you have to be to grow up watching mostly 120hz displays? like younger than 15 im thinking.

no age, it universally looks retarded and pretty much everybody agrees . just google "120 hz". the shame is it has almost nothing to do with 120 fps , which is a blessing

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
all I know is 30fps has twice the input lag of 60fps so if you are trying to FPS or race on a console then loving lol

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Can you get a new tv that is 60hz still ?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Digital Fingers posted:

cool numbers I was able to find after 3 minutes of googling:

average people will notice around 45 fps, 25% of people will notice 60 or above and if you can only notice around 24 then your eyes and/or brain are retarded. some fighter pilots can identify planes they only saw for ~1/220~ of a second when tested and flight simulations to train fighter pilots run at 200 fps.

for video games and junk your LCD monitor probably refreshes at 60mhz so 60fps is the limit of usefulness.

cool

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

all I know is 30fps has twice the input lag of 60fps so if you are trying to FPS or race on a console then loving lol

lol if you're not gaming on a crt

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

cram me sideways posted:

hey hey hey in mortal combat x on pc, when those fatalities and x-ray moves pop off, the frame rate drops to 30 from 60 and for some reason you don't hear nerds screaming about terrible that is; why are they okay wiht taht

Because, get this, there literally is no difference

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
it couldn't be because the fatalities look more, uh, CINEMATIC - that is, MOVIE-LIKE

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
lol the op loving retarded/blind

have you ever played a video game

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011

Vargs posted:

shut up retard

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Are you saying I shouldn't have paid $1000 for this video card? gently caress YOU!

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

there is a difference, in that one is a larger number of fs per s.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
there is a huge difference and it's really noticeable. it think it stops mattering past 80fps or so, though

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Node posted:

lol the op loving retarded/blind

have you ever played a video game

no, I see no reason why I should do that

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
does real life have infinite fps, or infinity minus one?

makes you think

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
what if it has like, infinity plus one maaaaaaaaaan

woaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

but really, it's probably just 30

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Germstore posted:

it's the new widescreen vs fullscreen

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
16:10 4:3 1:1 best screen format rip

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
fps = fag penis suckers

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Horniest Manticore posted:

fps = fag penis suckers

I didn't know this thanks

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

beedeebee posted:

If there was a difference and 60 was better, why not play things at 100 fps? Or maybe even 1000fps? Wake up sheeple!

I dunno, why don't you ask [insert name of manufacturer of the video game console you hate]? Owned.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

beedeebee posted:

no, I see no reason why I should do that

id watch ur mouth next time you start thinkinga bout fps................ bitch

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
OP is a Fucker Piss Shitter

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Moola posted:

OP is a Fucker Piss Shitter

No I am not!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Digital Fingers posted:

I.C have you ever had your Ouija board work? Obviously not asking if you talked to ghosts but have you done it with a group of people and had them spell words out?

I've pulled mine out a couple times when i've been drinking with friends and we've always just sat there with our fingers on it while nothing happened except for one time when we were all clearly putting a lot of effort into pushing it around and spelt the word AHGKJK (or w/e)

Yes! The larger the group of people, the higher the chances that someone is pushing it. It happens for a lot of reasons.

The last time I used mine was 13 years ago, but I'm no spring chicken, so relatively it's not that long ago.

This happened during summer, in Texas. The electricity had gone out around 9 PM, and the whole block was out. I was living at home with my parents and my sister. My mom was out that night, but I don't remember where she was.

It was hot, and I was getting bored sitting in the living room, the three of us speculating on when the lights would come back on.

I told my sister I knew what we should do. She asked what, and I told her we should get out the Ouija board. She said okay. We took a flashlight and a candle and went to my room. We sat on the floor opposite each other with the board between us and the four candles on dishes by our knees.

I clicked off the flashlight.

We might have said a prayer and each placed our two pointer fingers on the planchette.

It took a while to contact anyone. There were a lot of nonsense words, strings of letters and numbers. I had a pad and pencil and wrote down everything between questions.

The planchette kept moving to the "Goodbye" and the bottom of the board. That usually means it's time to stop. But I didn't want to stop. The electricity was still out, and it had only been a few minutes since we started.

Finally we got someone, a young man. At first, he was pleasant. He ran over "Hello" repeatedly and told us his name and age.

"Are you pushing it?"
"No! Are you?"
"No…for real you aren't?"
"I'm not!"

He was friendly for a while.

Then we asked him how he had died.

I don't have the paper I had written everything down on now. I don't know where it went, so I can't tell you exactly what he said.

He had murdered his wife and died a few years later.

My sister started getting scared. To be honest, it did get a little uncomfortable. The longer we talked to him, the less-friendly he was.

He started getting angry.

We tried to end it a few times, thanking him for talking to us, telling him we didn't want to take up all of his time. But he kept talking.

The planchette was skating across the board, all over, spelling things out. Upsetting things.

My sister wanted to get up and leave, but I told her we couldn't go before he left.

It had been almost an hour by then, but he kept talking and telling us things we didn't want to hear. I saw that my sister's fingers were resting on the plastic arrow just barely, lighter than when we started. I was trying to keep my fingers up too.

He kept talking, and then, in the middle of a response, he stopped and glided over first "Yes," then "No," and then "Goodbye."

My sister got up and left, and I heard her footsteps as she ran down the hall to my parents' room.

I put up the board, and I haven't used it since. But only because no one will do it with me!

Which is why you should COME OVER!

• Locked thread