Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I know very little about basketball, but the local media here in NY is melting down over this. So out of the X number of the 4500 college basketball players in the world who are coming out only 3 of them are any good? I don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

davecrazy posted:

I know very little about basketball, but the local media here in NY is melting down over this. So out of the X number of the 4500 college basketball players in the world who are coming out only 3 of them are any good? I don't get it.

The problem is that Phil Jackson traded away a bunch of poo poo to tank and then the Knicks retardedly won a handful of games they should have lost and it cost them one of the 2 franchise type changing players in the draft.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They can still get a very good prospect but there are two guys out in front of the pack by a decent margin. The difference between 3 and 4 is a little less extreme though.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

hahaha there was a Knicks lottery party?

I would have killed to be there.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

davecrazy posted:

The NBA isn't like baseball or football, the marginal value of elite players is way way higher because it's only five on five. You'll get your late first/second round success stories every once in a while, but most of the time people know who the superstars are going to be by the time they're midway through high school.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

PantsFreeZone posted:

The problem is that Phil Jackson traded away a bunch of poo poo to tank and then the Knicks retardedly won a handful of games they should have lost and it cost them one of the 2 franchise type changing players in the draft.

I still don't buy that Phil went into the season looking to tank.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The high comedy will be next season when Denver or Toronto gets the Knicks pick. Imagine if that's in the top 5.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Grozz Nuy posted:

most of the time people know who the superstars are going to be by the time they're midway through high school.

One of my favorite stories is Junior year there was a massive argument between guys on my varsity basketball team about whether or not the best defender on the team could guard this kid from Ohio named LeBron.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Grozz Nuy posted:

The NBA isn't like baseball or football, the marginal value of elite players is way way higher because it's only five on five. You'll get your late first/second round success stories every once in a while, but most of the time people know who the superstars are going to be by the time they're midway through high school.
I wouldn't go quite that far, but I'd say you can do a pretty good job of spotting who the superstars are going to be once they'd had a year in college. There are plenty of hyped-up high school superstars who ended up fading out: Ronnie Fields, Lenny Cooke, DerMarr Johnson (although he broke his neck a year into his NBA career), and Felipe Lopez just to name a few. There have been a few years where only about five of the McDonald's All Americans even ended up playing in the NBA.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 07:56 on May 20, 2015

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Niwrad posted:

I still don't buy that Phil went into the season looking to tank.

But why? He gave away Chandler por nada, signed no one but random roster filler, then traded and released everyone else once Carmelo realized his knee was messed up. The talk about making the playoffs was just talk. They made zero moves to improve the roster and several to make it much worse.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Melo has a no trade clause otherwise we could have a billion draft picks

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dejan Bimble posted:

But why? He gave away Chandler por nada, signed no one but random roster filler, then traded and released everyone else once Carmelo realized his knee was messed up. The talk about making the playoffs was just talk. They made zero moves to improve the roster and several to make it much worse.

If you're looking to tank, you dump Chandler for picks. You don't trade him for a veteran PG who will be on the books through 2017. You do the same with JR and Shumpert before the season. You also don't sign a 30 year old to a $125 million contract (you try and work out a S&T with Chicago).

Phil didn't go into this season looking to tank. The team wouldn't be bad enough if Carmelo remained healthy to make it worthwhile. He only pulled the tanking card when every dumb decision he made in the offseason blew up in his face.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

EvanTH posted:

Melo has a no trade clause otherwise we could have a billion draft picks

He'll be 31 next season with a bum knee and $100 million left on his contract. I'm sure they'd find a taker somewhere, but it's not getting the haul people think. If you wanted to trade Melo, an S&T with Chicago was the move last offseason. They had no ability to sign Carmelo to a max contract without a S&T and had assets they could move to make it happen.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

tatankatonk posted:

LAKERS GOT #2
LAKERS GOT #2 LAKAERS GOT NUMBER TWO LAKERS GOT #2 :siren: LAKERS LOS ANGELES GET NUMBER TWO

LAKERS

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLAKERS
https://twitter.com/MrMichaelLee/status/600825963274964992

:lakersmug:

...haven't been able to use that one in a while

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

japtor posted:

A Good Post. I'm happy to see a successful end to the season.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Crazy Ted posted:

I wouldn't go quite that far, but I'd say you can do a pretty good job of spotting who the superstars are going to be once they'd had a year in college. There are plenty of hyped-up high school superstars who ended up fading out: Ronnie Fields, Lenny Cooke, DerMarr Johnson (although he broke his neck a year into his NBA career), and Felipe Lopez just to name a few. There have been a few years where only about five of the McDonald's All Americans even ended up playing in the NBA.

In the 90s everybody who followed Kansas high school basketball was certain that Korleone Young and JaRon Rush were going to be stars. Young flamed out and JaRon never even made the NBA - though both his little brothers did and were serviceable players for a number of years, despite being less talented. Rush was apparently such an alcoholic that he'd be wasted during games at UCLA. Went from breaking a backboard in high school to topping out in the ABA and the D-League.

Was Felipe the one who made the cover of SI as a senior or whatever?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

japtor posted:

Happy days! :cool:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

how original

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Gotta go Towns. Don't gently caress this up, Wolves (they will).

edit: Source article on Towns vs Okafor

Grand Theft Autobot fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 20, 2015

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

I always liked Kurt Rambis.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

"Lost Season" for the Knicks because making some other moves, winning 10 more games and getting the 8th pick would be any better?

Sure it sucks that they got the 4th pick, but the alternatives aren't much better.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Harlock posted:

"Lost Season" for the Knicks because making some other moves, winning 10 more games and getting the 8th pick would be any better?

Sure it sucks that they got the 4th pick, but the alternatives aren't much better.

I'm not sure there is a meaningful difference between the 3rd and 4th pick in this draft though, I don't get the despondence.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I hate the Knicks

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

I'm not sure there is a meaningful difference between the 3rd and 4th pick in this draft though, I don't get the despondence.

I mean they're pretty different prospects so I guess maybe you could have a strong preference for Russell over Muiday but in terms of value it's not really a big difference and doesn't seem worth getting all the sky is falling over. Both are really strong prospects who should be good pieces to move the rebuild around.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Dress Like Craig Sager Night for game one awesome :siren:
https://twitter.com/NBAonTNT/status/600777264431800320/photo/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have no idea who the Sixers are going to take at 3 so the Knicks might be able have everyone but KAT available. I think KAT goes in the top 2 for sure, but that's about all I think is set in stone now.

Sixers for example may take Hezonja or Porzingis at 3.

• Locked thread