Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

No really it's rigged right

Just because Cleveland won a bunch doesn't mean it's rigged. It being rigged would imply:
1) All the owners and executives in the NBA would be cool with rigging things to help out poor old Cleveland owner Dan Gilbert. Laff

Really #1 is the only point you need to make. Can you imagine Cuban letting something like this fly?

I don't believe the lottery is rigged, but this is a silly reason to say there's no way it can be. Why would the NBA need to tell any/all of the owners/executives they rigged it? Why would they not just use weighted balls and tell no one? What makes you think there would be any reason to tell any team but the one who it would be rigged for (or tell no one at all)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
#2 is even funnier

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

RCarr posted:

I don't believe the lottery is rigged, but this is a silly reason to say there's no way it can be. Why would the NBA need to tell any/all of the owners/executives they rigged it? Why would they not just use weighted balls and tell no one? What makes you think there would be any reason to tell any team but the one who it would be rigged for (or tell no one at all)?

Given the movement between the league office and team positions (Kings president of basketball operations Chris Granger was third in line to the Stern or something) then it would have to be completely isolated to just the commish. Queue Stern New Orleans conspiracy talk

And if we are comparing fixing a draft lottery to the auditing of Enron, then sure go wild

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 19, 2015

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

EvanTH posted:

Ooo unless their real reputation is among secretive billionaires who respect them for being very able to get away with public fraud under the guise of "we would never torpedo our reputation for a quick buck" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Andersen
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Three_%28credit_rating_agencies%29#2007-2010_financial_crisis

Anyhow the more fun experiment is not to figure out how it was rigged, but to figure out how you yourself would rig it.
My starting point of yes I would definitely rig the draft in the Knicks favor lends credence to the argument that the Knicks totally rigged the '85 draft.
My conlusion: I would rig the lottery using differently weighted balls because the headlines would be funniest when the whole thing was revealed

edit: and then I would find some way to draft Embiid away from the Sixers.

Yeah, like all these firms already have a kind of shady reputation. It's hard for me to tell if it's sour grapes or deserved or not since I don't really have anything worth millions of dollars to test it out.

E: I don't think it's rigged either, I'm just in the Rcarr camp of "well it COULD be rigged."

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Hopefully they rig it to give the Pistons #1 to make up for last year

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rick posted:

E: I don't think it's rigged either, I'm just in the Rcarr camp of "well it COULD be rigged."

Yeah it could be rigged if you believe all the checks are compromised and kind of blur your eyes when looking at motivation. But you could say that about anything. Accounting firms have been compromised but trying to compare Enron style auditing frauds to fixing a draft lottery is a bit much. If a company was going to take the risk blowing up their reputation then it should be over something huge that is making people a ton of money under the table. Same for the league, if they are going to risk the legitimacy of their multi-billion dollar sport you'd think they'd do it over making sure Cleveland has it's upteenth chance to unfuck things up?

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
Sixers question... Didn't they win a playoff series a couple of years ago? And if I remember right weren't they billed as a young and talented team on the come up?

Then what?

I don't follow the Sixers at all but... Collins resigns as coach? Trade/release Evan Turner? Draft Neol, hurt all season? Trade rookie of the year Carter-Williams for what? Draft Embiid, hurt all season?

Seriously what happened to the playoff team? Coming off a playoff series victory doesn't seem the time to tank. Injuries you can't help but I think the Sixers knew these guys were injured when they drafted them, so they didn't have to draft them. Trading the rookie of the year seems like one of the dumbest things you could do.

EDIT just went to the team site... NEW UNIFORMS ARE COMING NEW UNIFORMS ARE COMING!!!!

FrankeeFrankFrank fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 19, 2015

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Collins took a team of veterans to Semis after D Rose died in 2012.

Collins and management knew team was not good enough to win Finals. They then traded for Bynum.

Bynum is a dud and 2012-2013 is a mediocre year. Collins quits. Management hires Hinkie who blows up team for 13-14 by trading Holiday and everyone else by the end of the year.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Making the playoffs in the East isn't necessarily an accomplishment and most people agreed their ceiling wasn't very high.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Both Noel and Embiid were the best players avail at the slot Sixers got them. Every team in the league takes Embiid at 3 last year.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The time to tank was when Bynum as not healthy. They traded a poo poo TON for Bynum. When never plays, now is the time to tank. Hinkie may have blown that team up too though.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
It would be a little funny if they rigged it for the Cavs three times in a row, as a prank.

Here's a scoring pg who refuses to pass or defend, here's a backup power forward, and here's a future superstar who you're going to trade for a white power forward who used to have fat arms and who will get his now toned arm ripped off by another chubby white power forward.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 19, 2015

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

Trade/release Evan Turner? Trade rookie of the year Carter-Williams for what?!!!

The answer to both of these questions is that these players are actually bad and the Sixers got actual assets for them.

Don't know if you follow other sports but think of it this way regarding MCW winning RotY: EJ Manuel was the best Quarterback prospect in his draft. There are a couple teams in the MLB who's best prospect isn't even in the top 100 of all of baseball.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Sixers question... Didn't they win a playoff series a couple of years ago? And if I remember right weren't they billed as a young and talented team on the come up?

Then what?

I don't follow the Sixers at all but... Collins resigns as coach? Trade/release Evan Turner? Draft Neol, hurt all season? Trade rookie of the year Carter-Williams for what? Draft Embiid, hurt all season?

Seriously what happened to the playoff team? Coming off a playoff series victory doesn't seem the time to tank. Injuries you can't help but I think the Sixers knew these guys were injured when they drafted them, so they didn't have to draft them. Trading the rookie of the year seems like one of the dumbest things you could do.

EDIT just went to the team site... NEW UNIFORMS ARE COMING NEW UNIFORMS ARE COMING!!!!

They only won that playoff series because Rose blew out of his knee

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Sixers won the MCW trade. Lakers pick more valuable than he is.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Will the Sixers trade Noel:

1. Yes. Does not really fit with Embiid. Has value right now.

2. No. Will be a good center when Embiid inevitably gets hurt / shows up to camp at 350#s.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

euphronius posted:

Both Noel and Embiid were the best players avail at the slot Sixers got them. Every team in the league takes Embiid at 3 last year.

I guess I can agree with that, but when do they decide they want to start trying to win? There's one LeBron, to build a team around... and after that 2 or 3 teams with a "BIG 3" that can compete. After that you have to build like the Spurs or Golden State... or do crazy good in the draft like the Thunder, but that's alot of luck.

I guess I really don't understand trading a rookie of the year point guard in a point guard league... he would have been the start of trying to win for me.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I guess I can agree with that, but when do they decide they want to start trying to win? There's one LeBron, to build a team around... and after that 2 or 3 teams with a "BIG 3" that can compete. After that you have to build like the Spurs or Golden State... or do crazy good in the draft like the Thunder, but that's alot of luck.

I guess I really don't understand trading a rookie of the year point guard in a point guard league... he would have been the start of trying to win for me.

MCW is terrible and they got what is likely to be a lottery pick for him.

I don't see why you cant see this.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

So is the biggest comedy option tonight that two teams pass the Lakers and they end up having to give the 6th pick to Philly? What are the odds for that happening?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Niwrad posted:

So is the biggest comedy option tonight that two teams pass the Lakers and they end up having to give the 6th pick to Philly? What are the odds for that happening?

according to the chart in the OP, 17.2%

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

euphronius posted:

I'd say it's almost a guarantee that it's a lottery pick. And barring incredible offseason moves, there is a decent chance that pick ends up in the 4-8 range. It's only top 3 protected next year.

That's a heck of a deal for MCW who is at best a below average starting PG.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also LOL the Spurs are built around a 1.1! Everyone in the semifinals this year is built around high (top 10) draft picks except really Memphis but Marc Gasol is a strange case that would not happen again.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

May the balls bounce in Miami's way.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Niwrad posted:

Another, not entirely distinct, comedy option would be Thunder getting the #1 :)

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

He was ROTY of a pretty weak draft class. He's a PG sure, but he is limited and the pick they got for him is more likely to turn into a star than he is. They are at least a season or two away from trying to win because: Noel is the only potential star they've drafted that has actually played with them yet, Dario is probably not coming over next season, Embiid is a complete unknown, and they have to actually develop the guys they draft this year and next.

They flipped Jrue and MCW for a ton of value and have already gotten returns in the form of Noel. They still need to find 2-3 star players though and that will probably take time because I don't think any major free agent signs with them while they lack stars.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Another, not entirely distinct, comedy option would be Thunder getting the #1 :)

the best option

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

GSW
Bogut 1.1
Steph 1.7
Klay 1.11 I think?
Iguodala 1. uh . . .9?
Barnes 1.11

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

euphronius posted:

I thought he was pretty good in the playoffs with Milwaukee... but that's all I saw of him.

Would you at least call MCW "above average"?

What if you don't get the Lakers pick, was it worth it then?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Disillusionist posted:

He was ROTY of a pretty weak draft class. He's a PG sure, but he is limited and the pick they got for him is more likely to turn into a star than he is. They are at least a season or two away from trying to win because: Noel is the only potential star they've drafted that has actually played with them yet, Dario is probably not coming over next season, Embiid is a complete unknown, and they have to actually develop the guys they draft this year and next.

They flipped Jrue and MCW for a ton of value and have already gotten returns in the form of Noel. They still need to find 2-3 star players though and that will probably take time because I don't think any major free agent signs with them while they lack stars.

They've openly said that they'll look to fill needs this offseason, but that they don't want to make any big commitments until after the 2016 draft; which kind of makes sense considering they have 5x1 rounders between the two drafts.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MCW was terrible in the playoffs.

I dont think he even made 1 three in the playoffs.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

euphronius posted:

He's not actually "terrible" but he's overvalued and won't be an all-star unless he learns how to shoot, which is a huge If because 23 year old tall PGs don't tend to fix their bad jumpers. Winning ROTY overvalued him because he was the most point-scoring of a weak draft class.

Oladipo's going to make that ROTY choice look real dumb next season agh i can't wait

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

I thought he was pretty good in the playoffs with Milwaukee... but that's all I saw of him.

I wouldn't call MCW above average, no.

There is little to no chance of the pick being retained in 2015 AND 2016.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He has never been close to above average. They are guaranteed to get the Lakers pick eventually.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

The Lakers pick is top 5 protected this years, top 3 protected in 2016, and unprotected in 2017. They're getting the pick no matter what; it's just a matter of when it happens and how good the Lakers are when it does.

I'm pretty comfortable with the potential risk/return if the pick comes through this year or in 2016. I'm a little more nervous about the value of the pick if it's in 2017.

edit: He could be considered average, but that's arguable. The NBA currently has a glut of really good PGs so his positional value isn't great.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

EvanTH posted:

He's not actually "terrible" but he's overvalued and won't be an all-star unless he learns how to shoot, which is a huge If because 23 year old tall PGs don't tend to fix their bad jumpers. Winning ROTY overvalued him because he was the most point-scoring of a weak draft class.

Oladipo's going to make that ROTY choice look real dumb next season agh i can't wait

He is in the bottom 10-20% of NBA PGs because he cant shoot or run a PNR! Both important skills!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Look at Nerlens Noel's game EXPLODE when they exchanged MCW for Ish Smith! Ish Smith!!

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

euphronius posted:

GSW
Bogut 1.1
Steph 1.7
Klay 1.11 I think?
Iguodala 1. uh . . .9?
Barnes 1.11

I'm not saying those teams aren't built with lottery picks, but that they are built through very good drafting and not trading those high pick player away for just more high draft picks.

MCW was what a #3? and ok I believe you he sucks...

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

euphronius posted:

Look at Nerlens Noel's game EXPLODE when they exchanged MCW for Ish Smith! Ish Smith!!

aka "The First Real PG I've Played With"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He was 1.11 in a historically awful draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

euphronius posted:

Also LOL the Spurs are built around a 1.1! Everyone in the semifinals this year is built around high (top 10) draft picks except really Memphis but Marc Gasol is a strange case that would not happen again.

hawks

edit: hawk

edit2: hawks

• Locked thread