Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Al Horford is pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Horford was 1.3 or whatever I can't remember.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

euphronius posted:

He was 1.11 in a historically awful draft.

could of had adams

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
Sorry, I am hella dumb and still don't really understand how the odds work. Why can the thunder be either 1-3 or most likely 14th and nothing in between?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Artic Puma posted:

Sorry, I am hella dumb and still don't really understand how the odds work. Why can the thunder be either 1-3 or most likely 14th and nothing in between?

Every team in the lottery has a chance of jumping into the top three, and as the last team in the lottery OKC can't slip any lower.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
hawks from best boy to worst boy:
Horford: 1.3
Sefolosha 1.13
Schroder: 1.17
Millsap: 1.17
Teague 1.19
Carroll 1.27
Korver 2.22

their highest pick is Elton Brand (edit for joke clarity: who was the number one pick in '99 and played < 500 minutes this year)

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 19, 2015

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

Every team in the lottery has a chance of jumping into the top three, and as the last team in the lottery OKC can't slip any lower.

So you can only move up into the top 3, stay in the same place, or move down if someone behind you moves into the top three?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

euphronius posted:

Horford was 1.3 or whatever I can't remember.

I sorta don't know what we're talking about since I didn't really understand the guy's original point. GSW has a bunch of players they drafted and Schroder rules but a good championship team is always built vulture-picked from the dying bones of tanking teams (Iguodala, JR Smith, Shumpert, Prigioni for some fun examples)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Artic Puma posted:

So you can only move up into the top 3, stay in the same place, or move down if someone behind you moves into the top three?

Yep.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

I guess I can agree with that, but when do they decide they want to start trying to win? There's one LeBron, to build a team around... and after that 2 or 3 teams with a "BIG 3" that can compete. After that you have to build like the Spurs or Golden State... or do crazy good in the draft like the Thunder, but that's alot of luck.

I guess I really don't understand trading a rookie of the year point guard in a point guard league... he would have been the start of trying to win for me.

Arguing against this post here

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Artic Puma posted:

The only picks that you draw for are 1, 2, and 3 in that order. After that, 4-14 are slotted based on record in the regular season among non-playoff teams. Since the Thunder had the best record of teams missing the playoffs, if they don't get 1, 2, or 3, then they end up at 14. The opposite is true for the Timberwolves, because they had the worst record, so if they don't get any picks in the top three then they have to be fourth. Teams in the middle have more "options" because they can move up by having their numbers drawn or move down because teams behind them could jump up.

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Okay, thanks. I get it now. Before I thought it was like an actual total lottery where each team got whatever spot they got pulled at and the bad teams just had more chances to be pulled.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

edit: efb

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
The Sixers haven't found a superstar or a collection of stars, so there is no reason for them to start building the roster to win.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

euphronius posted:

GSW
Bogut 1.1
Steph 1.7
Klay 1.11 I think?
Iguodala 1. uh . . .9?
Barnes 1.11

Barnes was actually 1.7 in his draft, but I think counting Bogut and Iguodala is disingenuous since they were drafted by other teams and are pretty far removed from those situations now.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

I guess I can agree with that, but when do they decide they want to start trying to win? There's one LeBron, to build a team around... and after that 2 or 3 teams with a "BIG 3" that can compete. After that you have to build like the Spurs or Golden State... or do crazy good in the draft like the Thunder, but that's alot of luck.

I guess I really don't understand trading a rookie of the year point guard in a point guard league... he would have been the start of trying to win for me.

have you seen mcw play?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Remember Bogut before his arm injuries? He was a really good scorer at the basket and had a solid midrange jumper.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

euphronius posted:

Arguing against this post here

Ohh okay. Yeah his point didn't make much sense and he thinks MCW is gooder than he is. But the Hawks do mean there is one team left that isn't organized around 1-10 draft picks and I can't think of a single team since the '98 champion Scottie Pippen Bulls (5th pick) to do that, but I guess they also had that one guy um Ron Harper 8th pick

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Sixers seem to be operating under the plan that you need a star or two to contend in this league. That your primary goal should be acquiring assets that can eventually get you that star. MCW was not going to be a star in the league so they traded him for an asset that could potentially be a star.

It's just a cold numbers game for them. Do whatever it takes to increase your odds of landing star players.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The Philadelphia's tanking brings up a strange gap in perception. Bad teams gently caress up year after year, they trade more for less, they fail to develop players, they don't pay for effective training staffs, but a team decides to skip a decade of misery to try and build a good team for their fans and they're the problem. I'll take short awful over long miserable.

Reporters and people in the league are happy to make excuses, because it's great to have incompetent competition. People are upset about Philadelphia because they're demonstrating that they understand the asset side of basketball and that marks them as a future threat. It's true even if euphronious can't read.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Byron Scott is going to gently caress up picking a goddamn ping pong ball, somehow. I feel it in my bones.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Sixers please win and trade Noel or Embiid to the Celtics for more picks.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Inside Outside posted:

Sixers please win and trade Noel or Embiid to the Celtics for more picks.

If yall want to trade Noel, I'll hand you a first, all of our seconds for the foreseeable future and an expiring contract or two for him.

We have this Joakim Noah, and Kirk Hinrich. Hell If Kirk gets traded to the Sixers he might just screw around and opt out of his player option.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 19, 2015

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Make me happy for once. Anything in the top 4 will suffice.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I don't know what will happen tonight but all I know is that whatever happens, I'm most likely going to be calling for evidence of the balls being dropped. Silver's balls.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
If Silver comes out with a David Stern lovely wall street beard, we know the thing's been rigged. You can also count the veins in his face to detect evidence of foul play

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Genuinely hoping for 3 and 6 tonight, unlikely as it is.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Hinkie is going to draft BPA guys :shobon:

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

chunkles posted:

Hinkie is going to draft BPA guys :shobon:

yeah, Hezonja

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

WhyteRyce posted:

Yeah it could be rigged if you believe all the checks are compromised and kind of blur your eyes when looking at motivation. But you could say that about anything. Accounting firms have been compromised but trying to compare Enron style auditing frauds to fixing a draft lottery is a bit much. If a company was going to take the risk blowing up their reputation then it should be over something huge that is making people a ton of money under the table. Same for the league, if they are going to risk the legitimacy of their multi-billion dollar sport you'd think they'd do it over making sure Cleveland has it's upteenth chance to unfuck things up?

You are right. The idea of them fixing it for Cleveland is very hilarious and only works if you think this is more fixed than even the WWE.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Dejan Bimble posted:

If Silver comes out with a David Stern lovely wall street beard, we know the thing's been rigged. You can also count the veins in his face to detect evidence of foul play

The Knicks should have trolled everyone and had Stern be their draft representative.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
I have my lakers guy gif cocked and loaded and pointed at this thread when we get #1

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

euphronius posted:

Also LOL the Spurs are built around a 1.1! Everyone in the semifinals this year is built around high (top 10) draft picks except really Memphis but Marc Gasol is a strange case that would not happen again.

Marc Gasol was a guy who thought he was gonna be a star, so he never worked hard, got a big wakeup call when he fell to the second round, and immediately put in the work to become a star.

Seriously, those 30 pounds of baby fat probably cost him a lottery pick

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

tatankatonk posted:

I have my lakers guy gif cocked and loaded and pointed at this thread when we get #1

post it regardless of laker draft position

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

only 2 number one picks have ever won championships with the team that they were drafted with

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

straight up brolic posted:

only 2 number one picks have ever won championships with the team that they were drafted with

Duncan and Hakeem?

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Metapod posted:

post it regardless of laker draft position
Here's mine

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

bill walton
magic
david robinson
tim duncan
hakeem

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I like that bit about Durant leaving as a free agent. I'm pretty sure he is going to really enjoy living in the Bay Area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

kareem?

• Locked thread