Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

straight up brolic posted:

only 2 number one picks have ever won championships with the team that they were drafted with

about to add LeBron to that list with an asterisk

also Darko is on it right edit oops I confused 2 and 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

straight up brolic posted:

only 2 number one picks have ever won championships with the team that they were drafted with

This made me look it up, but man, there were a lot of bad #1 picks in the 60s:
Bill McGill
Art Heyman
Jim Barnes
Fred Hetzel

Seriously, who the hell are those guys?

Metapod posted:

bill walton
magic
david robinson
tim duncan
hakeem
You missed James Worthy

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 19, 2015

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

EvanTH posted:

about to add LeBron to that list with an asterisk

yeah, i was wondering how that would count

also

Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA
Alex Martins of the Magic has the ping pong balls from the Shaq and Penny lotteries

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
haha "art hey man"

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
James Worthy?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Vertical Lime posted:

Kyrie gets added and LeBron gets an asterisk

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That #1 pick question has to be wrong cuz Admiral, Tim and Hakeem all won w/ their respective teams.

E: poo poo, Magic and Worthy, too.

E2: And I see it was already answered. D'oh.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

The Glumslinger posted:

This made me look it up, but man, there were a lot of bad #1 picks in the 60s:
Bill McGill
Art Heyman
Jim Barnes
Fred Hetzel

Seriously, who the hell are those guys?

Complicated a bit by teams having territorial rights on the best players

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

morestuff posted:

Complicated a bit by teams having territorial rights on the best players

Back in the day you couldn't even just sign an over the hill veteran for the minimum like today, you had to give Magic Johnson away for the right to do it.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

more luck/conspiracy stuff

Steve Popper ‏@StevePopper
Steve Mills will be wearing Dave DeBusschere's Basketball Hall of Fame ring tonight - which DeBusschere wore in 1985 when Knicks got No. 1.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Vertical Lime posted:

more luck/conspiracy stuff

Steve Popper ‏@StevePopper
Steve Mills will be wearing Dave DeBusschere's Basketball Hall of Fame ring tonight - which DeBusschere wore in 1985 when Knicks got No. 1.

I'm wearing my Batman shirt from when the Kings won in 1989 and showing a lot of stomach

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Waltzing Along posted:

I like that bit about Durant leaving as a free agent. I'm pretty sure he is going to really enjoy living in the Bay Area.

The Chesapeake Bay area.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Vertical Lime posted:

also

Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA
Alex Martins of the Magic has the ping pong balls from the Shaq and Penny lotteries

because of the lightning and the thumbnail I thought he was wearing white gloves

like these balls are sacred and have to be treated as such

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

its lottery era #1's and its Duncan and Robinson

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I am excited for the lottery.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ChickenMedium posted:

The Chesapeake Bay area.

I could see that, too. I really doubt he will stay in the midwest. Especially after failing to win a title.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Jalen Rose in the pregame was arguing that one of the rule changes should be banning of music, but most teams already play music when they are forbidden to by rule anyway so pointless change.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Westbrook seems like such a happy fella

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

We all know Cleveland is going to win the lottery

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I would like Philadelphia to get 3 in the top-10 picks but have none of them be #1.
I'd be cool with Sacramento winning it cause WhiteRyce is a good poster and I remember him from the old days. I would also be okay with the Timberwolves winning it if it meant Audiogoon came back to leak their pick a week in advance.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
im rooting for whatever gets people most upset

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
gonna repeat myself from the other thread and ask how, physically, kristaps porzingis can have the neck of a baby giraffe

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm a Pacer fan and Russ is my favorite player, so I hope both teams jump into the Top 3. Also that would strip the Lakers of their pick, so it would doubly own.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I want Philly to win 3 cuz it'll be cool and I don't want the Lakers to give them the #4 pick next year.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Chris Christie posted:

I'm a Pacer fan and Russ is my favorite player, so I hope both teams jump into the Top 3. Also that would strip the Lakers of their pick, so it would doubly own.

It doesn't "strip them of their pick."

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
i didnt read any of the thread, was this posted

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/the-vice-sports-nba-draft-lottery-preview-paper-doll-edition

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug

Poonerman posted:

1. Lllakerrrs
2. Knicks
3. Heat

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

I want Philly to win 3 cuz it'll be cool and I don't want the Lakers to give them the #4 pick next year.

That's not necessarily an equivalent thing though, this draft seems like it's likely going to be a lot better than next year's, especially near the top.

I will obviously always laugh and the Lakers losing a pick, but the whole Philly thing seriously annoys me for reasons I can't totally articulate so hopefully they at least don't get three lottery picks.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

MourningView posted:

That's not necessarily an equivalent thing though, this draft seems like it's likely going to be a lot better than next year's, especially near the top.

I will obviously always laugh and the Lakers losing a pick, but the whole Philly thing seriously annoys me for reasons I can't totally articulate so hopefully they at least don't get three lottery picks.

Neither do we.

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rick posted:

It doesn't "strip them of their pick."

Excuse me forums user "Rick" for my poor choice of words.

I hope Indiana and OKC jump into the Top 3, the Lakers do not, and thus the Lakers pick falls outside of the Top 5 and goes to the 76ers, who due to a trade own the rights to a Lakers first round pick this season but with Top 5 protection, in the alternative next season's pick with top 10 protection, and in the alternative if the Lakers pick is a Top 10 pick next year their 1st round pick in 2017 with no protection.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Let's get all these prospects in there to watch some pingpong balls!

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
I'm ready to be heartbroken.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I think it's the Knicks 1st.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Poonerman posted:

join me in rooting for:

1) Knicks
2( Knicks
3{ Knicks
4) an apology from adam silver for an unfortunately uncorrectable error, looks like Knicks get all the picks

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
I did the espn lottery randomizer and the Hornets got it 3 times in a row, so there you have it.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
I'm so nervous. Someone hold me

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The Sixers won't win don't worry

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Surely most people want either their team to win the lottery or the Knicks, because the Knicks winning it would lead to the most fun offseason where they trade it for Tyson Chandler or something

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I'm ready for disappointment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Chris Christie posted:

Excuse me forums user "Rick" for my poor choice of words.

I hope Indiana and OKC jump into the Top 3, the Lakers do not, and thus the Lakers pick falls outside of the Top 5 and goes to the 76ers, who due to a trade own the rights to a Lakers first round pick this season but with Top 5 protection, in the alternative next season's pick with top 10 protection, and in the alternative if the Lakers pick is a Top 10 pick next year their 1st round pick in 2017 with no protection.

That's a pretty good explanation.

• Locked thread