Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Funky See Funky Do posted:

All very important information OP but what I really need to know is how to surf the net ethnically.

black twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

FIRST TIME posted:

black twitter

bitter

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55P-UHdZ7WI

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Please do

Remember the human. When you communicate online, all you see is a computer screen. When talking to someone you might want to ask yourself "Would I say it to the person's face?" or "Would I get jumped if I said this to a buddy?"

Adhere to the same standards of behavior online that you follow in real life.

Read the rules of a community before making a submission. These are usually found in the sidebar.

Read the reddiquette. Read it again every once in a while. Reddiquette is a living, breathing, working document which may change over time as the community faces new problems in its growth.

Moderate based on quality, not opinion. Well written and interesting content can be worthwhile, even if you disagree with it.

Use proper grammar and spelling. Intelligent discourse requires a standard system of communication. Be open for gentle corrections.

Keep your submission titles factual and opinion free. If it is an outrageous topic, share your crazy outrage in the comment section.

Look for the original source of content, and submit that. Often, a blog will reference another blog, which references another, and so on with everyone displaying ads along the way. Dig through those references and submit a link to the creator, who actually deserves the traffic.

Post to the most appropriate community possible. Also, consider cross posting if the contents fits more communities.

Vote. If you think something contributes to conversation, upvote it. If you think it does not contribute to the subreddit it is posted in or is off-topic in a particular community, downvote it.

Search for duplicates before posting. Redundancy posts add nothing new to previous conversations. That said, sometimes bad timing, a bad title, or just plain bad luck can cause an interesting story to fail to get noticed. Feel free to post something again if you feel that the earlier posting didn't get the attention it deserved and you think you can do better.

Link to the direct version of a media file if the page it was found on isn't the creator's and doesn't add additional information or context.

Link to canonical and persistent URLs where possible, not temporary pages that might disappear. In particular, use the "permalink" for blog entries, not the blog's index page.

Consider posting constructive criticism / an explanation when you downvote something, and do so carefully and tactfully.

Report any spam you find.

Browse the new submissions page and vote on it. Regard it, perhaps, as a public service.

Actually read an article before you vote on it (as opposed to just basing your vote on the title).

Feel free to post links to your own content (within reason). But if that's all you ever post, or it always seems to get voted down, take a good hard look in the mirror — you just might be a spammer. A widely used rule of thumb is the 9:1 ratio, i.e. only 1 out of every 10 of your submissions should be your own content.

Posts containing explicit material such as nudity, horrible injury etc, add NSFW (Not Safe For Work) for nudity, and tag. However, if something IS safe for work, but has a risqué title, tag as SFW (Safe for Work). Additionally, use your best judgement when adding these tags, in order for everything to go swimmingly.

State your reason for any editing of posts. Edited submissions are marked by an asterisk (*) at the end of the timestamp after three minutes. For example: a simple "Edit: spelling" will help explain. This avoids confusion when a post is edited after a conversation breaks off from it. If you have another thing to add to your original comment, say "Edit: And I also think..." or something along those lines.

Use an "Innocent until proven guilty" mentality. Unless there is obvious proof that a submission is fake, or is whoring karma, please don't say it is. It ruins the experience for not only you, but the millions of people that browse reddit every day.

Read over your submission for mistakes before submitting, especially the title of the submission. Comments and the content of self posts can be edited after being submitted, however, the title of a post can't be. Make sure the facts you provide are accurate to avoid any confusion down the line.

Please don't

Engage in illegal activity.

Post someone's personal information, or post links to personal information. This includes links to public Facebook pages and screenshots of Facebook pages with the names still legible. We all get outraged by the ignorant things people say and do online, but witch hunts and vigilantism hurt innocent people too often, and such posts or comments will be removed. Users posting personal info are subject to an immediate account deletion. If you see a user posting personal info, please contact the admins. Additionally, on pages such as Facebook, where personal information is often displayed, please mask the personal information and personal photographs using a blur function, erase function, or simply block it out with color. When personal information is relevant to the post (i.e. comment wars) please use color blocking for the personal information to indicate whose comment is whose.

Repost deleted/removed information. Remember that comment someone just deleted because it had personal information in it or was a picture of gore? Resist the urge to repost it. It doesn't matter what the content was. If it was deleted/removed, it should stay deleted/removed.

Be (intentionally) rude at all. By choosing not to be rude, you increase the overall civility of the community and make it better for all of us.

Follow those who are rabble rousing against another redditor without first investigating both sides of the issue that's being presented. Those who are inciting this type of action often have malicious reasons behind their actions and are, more often than not, a troll. Remember, every time a redditor who's contributed large amounts of effort into assisting the growth of community as a whole is driven away, projects that would benefit the whole easily flounder.

Ask people to Troll others on reddit, in real life, or on other blogs/sites. We aren't your personal army.

Conduct personal attacks on other commenters. Ad hominem and other distracting attacks do not add anything to the conversation.

Start a flame war. Just report and "walk away". If you really feel you have to confront them, leave a polite message with a quote or link to the rules, and no more.

Insult others. Insults do not contribute to a rational discussion. Constructive Criticism, however, is appropriate and encouraged.

Troll. Trolling does not contribute to the conversation.

Take moderation positions in a community where your profession, employment, or biases could pose a direct conflict of interest to the neutral and user driven nature of reddit.

In regard to voting
Downvote an otherwise acceptable post because you don't personally like it. Think before you downvote and take a moment to ensure you're downvoting someone because they are not contributing to the community dialogue or discussion. If you simply take a moment to stop, think and examine your reasons for downvoting, rather than doing so out of an emotional reaction, you will ensure that your downvotes are given for good reasons.

Mass downvote someone else's posts. If it really is the content you have a problem with (as opposed to the person), by all means vote it down when you come upon it. But don't go out of your way to seek out an enemy's posts.

Moderate a story based on your opinion of its source. Quality of content is more important than who created it.

Upvote or downvote based just on the person that posted it. Don't upvote or downvote comments and posts just because the poster's username is familiar to you. Make your vote based on the content.

Report posts just because you do not like them. You should only be using the report button if the post breaks the subreddit rules.

In regard to promoting reddit posts
Hint at asking for votes. ("Show me some love!", "Is this front page worthy?", "Vote This Up to Spread the Word!", "If this makes the front page, I'll adopt this stray cat and name it reddit", "If this reaches 500 points, I'll get a tattoo of the Reddit alien!", "Upvote if you do this!", "Why isn't this getting more attention?", etc.)

Conduct polls using the title of your submission and/or votes. These methods are not reliable because of vote fuzzing and are in that regard just asking for upvotes.

Send out IMs, tweets, or any other message asking people to vote for your submission — or comply when other people ask you. This will result in a ban from the admins. Your submission should get points for being good, not because the submitter is part of a voting clique.

Ask for upvotes in exchange for gifts or prizes. "Upvote me to the top and I'll give away ..."

Create mass downvote or upvote campaigns. This includes attacking a user's profile history when they say something bad and participating in karma party threads.

In regard to new submissions
Use the word "BREAKING" or other time sensitive words in your submissions. By the time your post reaches the front page, it probably won't be 'breaking' anymore.

Post hoaxes. If snopes.com has already declared something false, you probably shouldn't be submitting it to reddit.

Flood reddit with a lot of stories in a short span of time. By doing this you flood the new queue. Be warned, your future submissions may be automatically blocked by the spam filter. Shadow banning (you can see your posts and votes, but no one else can) can, and will, take place in more severe cases.

Write titles in ALL CAPS.

Editorialize or sensationalize your submission title.

Linkjack stories: linking to stories via blog posts that add nothing extra.

Use link shorteners to post your content. There are few reasons to hide what you're linking to, and most of them are sneaky (if you are, use the "preview" feature that those services offer).

In regard to comments
Make comments that lack content. Phrases such as "this", "lol", and "I came here to say this" are not witty, original, or funny, and do not add anything to the discussion.

Announce your vote (with rare exceptions). "Upvote" and "Downvote" aren't terribly interesting comments and only increase the noise to signal ratio.

Complain about other users reposting/rehosting stories, images, videos, or any other content. Users should give credit where credit should be given, but if someone fails to do so, and is not causing harm, please either don't point it out, or point it out politely and leave it at that. They are only earning karma, which has little to no use at all.

Complain about the votes you do or do not receive, especially by making a submission voicing your complaint. You may have just gotten unlucky. Try submitting later or seek out other communities to submit to. Millions of people use reddit; every story and comment gets at least a few up/downvotes. Some up/downvotes are by reddit to fuzz the votes in order to confuse spammers and cheaters. This also includes messaging moderators or admins complaining about the votes you did or did not receive, except when you suspect you've been targeted by vote cheating by being massively up/downvoted.

Complain about reposts. Just because you have seen it before doesn't mean everyone has. Votes indicate the popularity of a post, so just vote. Keep in mind that linking to previous posts is not automatically a complaint; it is information.

Complain about cross posts. Just because you saw it in one place, doesn't mean everyone has seen it. Just vote and move on.

:goonsay:

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Browse only according to that maxim by which you can at the same time will that it should become a universal law. Browse in such a way that you treat humanity, whether in your own person or in the person of another, always at the same time as an end and never simply as a means.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
God this guy is so loving ... There honestly isnt a single word for it. I need at least 5: Creepy insufferable piece of poo poo.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Stallman, despite eating his own filthy toe jam in public is right about everything he's ever said.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Beef Turret posted:

Stallman, despite eating his own filthy toe jam in public is right about everything he's ever said.

Is this for real? Before I read this thread I had only seen the Stallman "article" in the op. Turns out he is way way way way way way worse of a person than I could have imagined. And I already thought pretty low of him after that initial reading.

On second thought, we could have lived without gcc.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Stallman has added hundreds of billions, if not trillions of dollars of value to the global economy. The man has worked tirelessly for the benefit of everyone around him. It is impossible to name a publicly traded company that has not somehow benefited from his contributions, and many have benefited to the tune of billions. In return for the countless billions of wealth that people made from the fruits of his labor, he was rewarded with poverty and ridicule. Now that the world is done taking from him, they are vilifying him as incompetent.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

General Tofu posted:

Am I understanding this correctly? He stuffs dead plants up his nose while beating off? (or somehow gets sexual pleasure from it)

He's making a very clever joke about how since flowers are basically the sexual organs of plants (heh) you're technically having sex with them by inhaling their pollen, sort of, so smelling cut flowers is like, plant necrophilia, man! This is a very clever analogy which clearly has valid implications for human necrophilia and our irrational taboos about it.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Beef Turret posted:

he must have been home schooled

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
I hear if you buy a chicken from the shop and stick your dick in it you're a necropaedophile whos found of bestiality

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Beef Turret posted:

Stallman has added hundreds of billions, if not trillions of dollars of value to the global economy. The man has worked tirelessly for the benefit of everyone around him. It is impossible to name a publicly traded company that has not somehow benefited from his contributions, and many have benefited to the tune of billions. In return for the countless billions of wealth that people made from the fruits of his labor, he was rewarded with poverty and ridicule. Now that the world is done taking from him, they are vilifying him as incompetent.

same

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Beef Turret posted:

please dont troll in support of a paedophile

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Entropic posted:

He's making a very clever joke about how since flowers are basically the sexual organs of plants (heh) you're technically having sex with them by inhaling their pollen, sort of, so smelling cut flowers is like, plant necrophilia, man! This is a very clever analogy which clearly has valid implications for human necrophilia and our irrational taboos about it.

:negative: he really is the biggest loving goon

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Entropic posted:

berries, fruits, and nuts are the sexual organs of plants too so think about eating some tree's jizz when you're eating an apple next time

further proof that vegetarians are queers

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Richard Stallman accomplished more than any paid developer yet they deride him as a senile fool for his eccentricities. He's always been eccentric. I can guarantee he can code any of his pitiful critics under the loving table. The world should have given the GNU project some money to hire developers and security auditors. Hell, it should have given Stallman a place to sleep that isn't a couch at a university. There is no loving justice in this world.

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax

Beef Turret posted:

Now that the world is done taking from him, they are vilifying him as incompetent.

I don't think the world needs to bother vilifying him- it'd be plenty happy letting him fade into obscurity. But it sounds like this guy is too busy trying to make himself sound like a big deal for something he did 30 years ago, when he's intentionally done nothing to keep himself relevant in the computer industry ever since. Hell, the guy refuses to even learn more than very basic HTML, use a web browser or learn how to work an email client, saying he "has no interest" or "doesn't have time" because he's spending it all on "free software activism". Which really sounds like he's spending the whole day checking his email and telling people how much better his pseudo-religious computing practices are than theirs.

Oh, and inviting himself to conventions to speak where he's apparently not wanted, probably because he sounds completely insufferable to be around

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Don't ever respond to beef turret

lol rms actually uses emacs

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

Don't ever respond to beef turret

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax
I tried using Emacs once and its user interface was intolerable and incomprehensible. It's honestly a pretty poo poo text editor. People love to claim, "Oh! But you can make it do ANYTHING! You can program it to be a first person shooter!" I could train hamsters to re-enact Hamlet in mime but it wouldn't be a good idea

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

General Tofu posted:

I don't think the world needs to bother vilifying him- it'd be plenty happy letting him fade into obscurity. But it sounds like this guy is too busy trying to make himself sound like a big deal for something he did 30 years ago, when he's intentionally done nothing to keep himself relevant in the computer industry ever since. Hell, the guy refuses to even learn more than very basic HTML, use a web browser or learn how to work an email client, saying he "has no interest" or "doesn't have time" because he's spending it all on "free software activism". Which really sounds like he's spending the whole day checking his email and telling people how much better his pseudo-religious computing practices are than theirs.

Oh, and inviting himself to conventions to speak where he's apparently not wanted, probably because he sounds completely insufferable to be around

That's a really convoluted way to call a social reformer (which is technically what he is) an attention-whore for standing up to the faceless companies who want put your data through the meatgrinder without legal oversight, lol. Oh yeah, also he does eccentric things, what a piece of poo poo

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

General Tofu posted:

I could train hamsters to re-enact Hamlet in mime but it wouldn't be a good idea

i don't know anything about nerd operating systems or whatever dumb bullshit this thread is about, but this hamster thing is definitely a good idea

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
I won't forget what he's done, and what he continues to do for general computation and the Internet. Not a single day goes by that I will not be thankful for Stallman's work. You people are pieces of poo poo. I am disgusted, and you can pry my Emacs from my cold, dead NANDs

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

lol who the gently caress doesn't email web pages to themselves

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax

Beef Turret posted:

pry my Emacs from my cold, dead NANDs

You're using an SSD? With PROPRIETARY FIRMWARE?!
You're a disgrace to open source jesus. You're not fit to eat his toe cheese

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Parallax Scroll posted:

lol who the gently caress doesn't email web pages to themselves

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I would totally hang with Stallman if I could wear a menthol salve under my nose like in the morgue.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

QuantumNinja posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25ejlP0uWeI Skip to the 2-minute mark to see the virgin bullshit; he's done it many times, and often drags it out longer than in that particular video.

This is actually physically painful to watch.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Beef Turret posted:

Richard Stallman accomplished more than any paid developer yet they deride him as a senile fool for his eccentricities. He's always been eccentric. I can guarantee he can code any of his pitiful critics under the loving table. The world should have given the GNU project some money to hire developers and security auditors. Hell, it should have given Stallman a place to sleep that isn't a couch at a university. There is no loving justice in this world.

n01currrrr

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Entropic posted:

i couldnt make it to the relevant part about the virgin story or whatever. i even skipped ahead to the 2 minute mark.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
dude who argued against the concept of the wheel group and advocated for every random fucko that struts in a lab to get root is a champion of people's privacy. got it

rms knows nothing about security and the only thing he wants is for machines to be wide open so his chances of somebody starting emacs double to 0.16% per year

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
But how else will i write all this super in demand and desirable lisp software without opening emacs ?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

thathonkey posted:

But how else will i write all this super in demand and desirable lisp software without opening emacs ?

Does he actually write software any more?

I have a hard time figuring out why someone so deliberately disconnected from modern computing actually needs a computer. He might as well just get a PO box and a typewriter. As long as the ink ribbons aren't proprietary.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Entropic posted:

Does he actually write software any more?

I have a hard time figuring out why someone so deliberately disconnected from modern computing actually needs a computer. He might as well just get a PO box and a typewriter. As long as the ink ribbons aren't proprietary.

he needs to shuffle around at the convention pecking at a leemote yoolong to lecture the hosts of his next convention on his parrot loving habits so that he will be comfortable enough shuffling around pecking at his leemote yoolong next week lecturing the hosts of his next convention about his parrot loving habits so that he will be comf

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Entropic posted:

It's like watching a much brighter version of my autistic nephew.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

:laffo: context?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

vim works ok

• Locked thread