Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catalina
May 20, 2008

Today while my sister was out running, she came across a stray kitten. It's very young, probably no older than 4-5 weeks, and obviously starving. Both its eyes are swollen shut with infection (it looks a lot like this :nms:). She took it home and now wants to know what she should do to help it until she can take it to the vet tomorrow morning. It's still pretty active, although right now it's basically just sleeping in its little box, and isn't eating (all we have to feed it was milk) or drinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Catalina posted:

Today while my sister was out running, she came across a stray kitten. It's very young, probably no older than 4-5 weeks, and obviously starving. Both its eyes are swollen shut with infection (it looks a lot like this :nms:). She took it home and now wants to know what she should do to help it until she can take it to the vet tomorrow morning. It's still pretty active, although right now it's basically just sleeping in its little box, and isn't eating (all we have to feed it was milk) or drinking.

Best thing is to keep it warm and quiet. If she feels it is dehydrated and wont last the night, here's a guide on rehydrating a sick kitten: https://suite.io/mia-carter/5p8923d If any pet stores are open, go buy some Kitten Milk Replacer (KMR) or Cat Milk.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

Best thing is to keep it warm and quiet. If she feels it is dehydrated and wont last the night, here's a guide on rehydrating a sick kitten: https://suite.io/mia-carter/5p8923d If any pet stores are open, go buy some Kitten Milk Replacer (KMR) or Cat Milk.

Thank you so much! It's so hard to watch and wait, I'm really grateful to have a guide and something I can do to help. I live in a rural area, so all the local stores closed hours ago. The vet appointment's in 6 hours, and I think it would be best to wait and see what the vet does, rather than trying to fix things on my own. When I pinched the kitten's scruff, he was well enough to yowl and me and move around...he seems like he's in a really bad way, but not on death's door.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Thank you everyone for the views and the replies. :)

The kitten just got back from the vet, and she's going to be fine now that she has access to food and medicine. One of her eyes was infected so badly it's going to have to be removed, and she had worms and microscopic parasites. We're can't really keep her, so we're going to take care of paying for the medical expenses and surgery, then give her to the local shelter, where we'll keep tabs on how she's doing and if she's been adopted. (and help her out if she isn't.)

Incidentally, I'm in the SE Virginia / NE North Carolina area, if someone knows someone who's interested!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Catalina posted:

Incidentally, I'm in the SE Virginia / NE North Carolina area, if someone knows someone who's interested!

You might want to try finding a private or small rescue. Just Google your area's rescues, and contact them with your story. Special needs kittens can be hard to place.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

You might want to try finding a private or small rescue. Just Google your area's rescues, and contact them with your story. Special needs kittens can be hard to place.

Thank you for the advice! I figured her being special needs was going to be a problem.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Hey! I noticed this thread has 867 views; thank everyone for checking!

The kitten has done really well with food and medicine, and just had eye surgery today. She's going to recover fully from everything, and isn't expected to have any ongoing medical issues. We consulted with our vet, and we're going to sponsor the kitten while she lives in a foster home, where they will try and adopt her out. She's going to get a blood test to check for communicable diseases like Feline Leukemia or Feline AIDS. If she's clear, she'll go to a rescue in Virginia Beach, VA. Otherwise, we'll contact a rescue that deals with cats who have communicable diseases.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I like threads with hopeful endings.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Good luck! Hope it turns out well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonybominous
Jun 30, 2012

Thank you for caring so much for her. Hoping she can find people as incredibly awesome as you to adopt her!

• Locked thread