Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this
Today has been exhausting. I get to the interview 15 minutes early, there's a girl leaving the restaurant holding some new hire paperwork. She gives me the double thumbs up and wishes me good luck, and I congratulate her. Everything is good so far. My interview is at 10, and around 10:30 the manager comes up to finally do it. That's okay, things happen. He asks me about my former job (the produce job), and then right after says "the address on your application is for a shelter, you're homeless?" I explain that Turning Point let's people put their address on applications so they can find stable work and get back on their feet.

"I'm going to be honest with you, I didn't expect you to show up to the interview, and I just filled the position." So, the excited blonde girl, that's fine.

I tried not to let how overwhelmingly tired and disappointed (and angry) I felt show on my face. "Oh, I understand."

"I'm sorry about that, I appreciate you coming in though."

"Do you have any other positions open?"

He shuffled my application around a bit, and then told me he would talk to his boss, and if they decided to consider me for another position they would be in touch.

:smith: I just want to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
drat, that sucks. I don't know what else to say other than to keep at it! Just remember that you have more opportunities coming to you in the future. Stay healthy and focus on your exam; all of that studying is going to come through. :)

Is the Starbucks around you hiring? With the beginning of summer coming around, there might be more places willing to hire part-timers.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
drat, that's a disappointment. But at least that's out of the way and you can keep studying for your test.

Also: Starbucks, Starbucks, Starbucks - there's like 100 per mile radius, right? Someone's gotta clean those espresso machines if not make the drinks, too!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Unexpected Road posted:

Today has been exhausting. I get to the interview 15 minutes early, there's a girl leaving the restaurant holding some new hire paperwork. She gives me the double thumbs up and wishes me good luck, and I congratulate her. Everything is good so far. My interview is at 10, and around 10:30 the manager comes up to finally do it. That's okay, things happen. He asks me about my former job (the produce job), and then right after says "the address on your application is for a shelter, you're homeless?" I explain that Turning Point let's people put their address on applications so they can find stable work and get back on their feet.

"I'm going to be honest with you, I didn't expect you to show up to the interview, and I just filled the position." So, the excited blonde girl, that's fine.

I tried not to let how overwhelmingly tired and disappointed (and angry) I felt show on my face. "Oh, I understand."

He shuffled my application around a bit, and then told me he would talk to his boss, and if they decided to consider me for another position they would be in touch.

Just keep fighting. You've come this far. Keep positive that something will work out. My heart goes out to you

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this
Starbucks is home base here, there's three in the city that I know of and another 3-4 I could easily get to by bus. I'm applying for all of them.

I'm having a hard time staying awake today. My head feels like it's packed full of cotton and I keep alternating between being warm as hell and freezing/shivering, the temp is close to 90. I've been loudly informed by Edna that "YOU NEED TO DRINK SOME MORE WATER YOU GOD drat FUCKER", which is most likely exactly the problem. I've also promised to put in some effort to help her find a litter of feral kittens she saw yesterday, so I'll probably come out with an Edna story :D

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

No matter what your housing situation, people need to drink more water.

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this
Water is so good, and good for you. It's finding easily accessible clean water that's the problem. Enough idiots have acted like, well, idiots inside of stores that coming in to fill water bottles at the fountain gets you snapped at. The sympathetic stores are further away from downtown, so I try to hang out there. Starbucks will always give those huuuuuge cups--trenta size I think--of ice water and never say anything mean about it, they know what's up. They also close at 8, which is pretty early for a starbucks, and after that the hunt for water is on.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Unexpected Road posted:

Water is so good, and good for you. It's finding easily accessible clean water that's the problem. Enough idiots have acted like, well, idiots inside of stores that coming in to fill water bottles at the fountain gets you snapped at. The sympathetic stores are further away from downtown, so I try to hang out there. Starbucks will always give those huuuuuge cups--trenta size I think--of ice water and never say anything mean about it, they know what's up. They also close at 8, which is pretty early for a starbucks, and after that the hunt for water is on.

Every time I read this thread I take a few minutes to be more grateful for what I have. You are so strong and I'm floored by your amazing attitude in the face of adversity. Stay safe!

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this
Thank you detectivemonkey!

I HAVE GOOD NEWS shortly after posting my last update Deshaun found me and dragged me off (after making me change back into my interview clothes) to the restaurant that he has an interview at tomorrow. (Sorry in advance if this is all garbled, I'm excited and tired/hungry/thirsty)

Anyways! He dragged me inside and introduced me to one of the managers, and I have an interview tomorrow afternoon after Deshaun's. I was told to just show up with him and the manager I spoke to tonight will get mine. Nothing's guaranteed but it's something! And it's more than I've had in a couple months so I am NOT complaining! I have a business card that says my interview is at noon tomorrow which will buy me another shower in the morning. I'm going to launder my interview clothes with what I have left on my laundromat card and get some dinner.

I AM SO EXCITED.

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
I'm sorry the first interview didn't work out, but it's awesome that you have another one right away. Fingers crossed for you :)

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this
Thank you unknown goon who emailed me this

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this
A really nasty storm just hit the area about half an hour ago, the thunder was so loud it shook the McDonalds I am currently camped out in, since starbucks closed.

If you ever find yourself in a similar situation I can not stress enough how important it is to be nice to store and fast food restaurant employees, because you never know when you are going to need an emergency shelter. I've got a table at the far back corner, next to the bathroom and I know I can stay here as long as I need to as long as I behave (and don't fall asleep).

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
If you can afford it or can get assistance from an organization, look into seeing how much a PO box would run to use as an address so that you don't have to use the shelter's address and deal with the same kind of poo poo that you encountered at the last interview. It looks like they run $15-$20 for three months for the smallest box.

Hopefully, things will be looking up for you this week. Thinking good thoughts for you! :yayclod:

Walter Reuthless
Oct 26, 2006

Problems on Purpose
Keep your chin up, OP. I'm rooting for you. You are waaaaaay stronger than I am, I am so impressed with how well you are handling this.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Unexpected Road posted:

What the gently caress? What an rear end in a top hat.

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this
The heat has really gotten to me today. No matter how much water I drink I still feel so thirsty, also dizzy and exhausted.

Wednesday I'll get to sleep in a real bed to help me be at my best for my exam the next day. Little things :)

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I just want to reiterate that houseless people are people too and a lot of them have good stories to tell. I was walking back from the store and bumped into an older houseless Black woman and we chatted for a little bit about real deal issues for folks without a stable living situation. It was really cool and reminded me that I should tell y'all that there are a lot of cool houseless folks. Be nice to people, I guarantee that almost anyone out on the streets will appreciate a little kindness and conversation a lot more than some spare change.

death sext
Nov 4, 2011

The peopleness of people can't be reiterated enough. Homeless people (who tend to get grouped in this dehumanizing "The Homeless") are so invisible it's heartbreaking. There is a man who sits along the main street every day; we talk all the time about the simplest lack of things, like eye contact. No one even glances his way as they walk past, and to him that's the hardest part.

I don't always have money on me, but I try to carry some bottles of water in the summer when I know I'll be near people who need it. If y'all are in a similar area I suggest it. It gets brutal hot here.

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

If you give a mouse a cookie, you are supporting underground furry terrorists.
Hey, you mentioned an artists commune and being on the West Coast. If you are in Bradenton, send me a PM. i will bring you water bottles, food and introduce you to my husband, he manages a store and may need seasonal help.

Unfortunately he is really sick tonight (nothing contagious) but we can see how to get you sandwiches or canned food or a few boxes of granola bars, something that will keep for awhile.

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this
Pm sent!

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Can you find out how much it would be to spend a week in a motel / hotel or something?

I'm not exactly well off, but I've been in some horrible situations in my life and had 2 very short bouts of homlessness in my time and know just how refreshing a clean bed and a long, uninterrupted bath / shower can be.

I'd love to pay pal you enough to get you off the street for a week to collect your thoughts and prepare you for interviews / exams.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
I was a stone's throw from being homeless and was only propped up by amazing family members. It's so easy to take that stuff for granted (i sure did). Thank you for reminding me how lucky I am, and in return please accept my donation towards getting back on your feet.

:)

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
It's not much, but I sent you a little money so you and Deshaun can have a victory/consolation coke after the interview. I want to make sure something good comes of today no matter what.

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this
You guys are wonderful

My interview went really well, even though I didn't walk out with a job. He was a lot nicer than the last manager that interviewed me (yesterday), and actually talked to me like I was a person rather than just a name on paper. We went over my work history, he asked me about my situation, if I had any substance abuse problems now or in the past (never). He kept the papers tilted up while he was writing, but when he flipped the page I caught sight of the words "very smart" and "cheerful", so I'm taking that as a good thing.

He told me that he couldn't guarantee a job for me right now, but that the management is moving people around and looking for more motivated, reliable staff who want to work, and that he would talk to the general manager about me and see what they could offer once the shuffling around is complete. He asked if I would be interested in a service assistant/host position, or a position as a busser. I was honest and said I would take anything right now, and that I learn quickly. He said the earliest I could expect to hear is next week, and that I would have to interview with the GM.

I consider all of that to be A Good Thing That Happened, but it got better. The manager gave me a list of places that he knows are hiring or are going to be hiring for the summer, if I want two work two jobs (I do!) since the restaurant--if they decide to give me a job--would only be part time. I have the list right here in my notebook that I use for my course, and in between studying, I'm going to be filling out applications.

On to the bad news: I am finished with my insurance course, and logged in just now to retake the practice exam for extra practice, when my study calender pops up and says I have coursework for today.

My securities license requires an entirely different course.

I have ten chapters/modules and quizzes to finish in a day.

Further looking into this, its technically a seperate test. Thursday, it looks like I'm going to be testing for almost six hours! I guess this isn't reallty BAD news, just tiring news. I have to finish a course in a day and take a practice exam. Then I have to run over to a library/kinkos/somewhere with a public printer and print copies of my course completion certificate. My hand is already hurting from all the notes-taking haha.

Edna has helpfully suggested that I could always sell myself to science for their "WACKY rear end EXPERIMENTS" but I am reasonably certain that they're only looking for donated dead bodies.

There's a rumor going around that some guy around here who has a house/family/car/job has decided to live life among the homeless for a year or something like that, in order to write some inspirational self-help book about his adventures. When I heard it, I thought immediately of Muerte, not sure why.

I hope he finds Edna.

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this

dpack_1 posted:

Can you find out how much it would be to spend a week in a motel / hotel or something?

I'm not exactly well off, but I've been in some horrible situations in my life and had 2 very short bouts of homlessness in my time and know just how refreshing a clean bed and a long, uninterrupted bath / shower can be.

I'd love to pay pal you enough to get you off the street for a week to collect your thoughts and prepare you for interviews / exams.

There's a "homeless hostel" here that gives a bed, shower, and two meals (breakfast/dinner) for $15 a night, or $75 a week. Please don't feel like this is something you have to do, just because I responded :ohdear: I just hate looking like I'm ignoring messages and replies in this thread

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
What are your plans with insurance?

I came into it at 30 after a midlife meltdown and it was probably the best decision of my life.

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this
I'm not really sure what my plans are entirely. The charity and the course itself work with insurance companies like AFLAC and ... other ones that I can't think of right now, to help people get licensed to sell/be an underwriter for insurance, and then get a job at these companies. AFLAC stands out to me because I was born in Columbus and I remember seeing the giant AFLAC building when I was little.

I would have never gone into insurance on my own, but after taking some placement tests and talking to an employment counselor there it was suggested to me, pitched heavily, and I have nothing to lose going in to it. The selling points were Stable Career and Good Retirement Opportunities (with the right companies).

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Unexpected Road posted:

There's a "homeless hostel" here that gives a bed, shower, and two meals (breakfast/dinner) for $15 a night, or $75 a week. Please don't feel like this is something you have to do, just because I responded :ohdear: I just hate looking like I'm ignoring messages and replies in this thread

Banks are closed here right now and I seem to have never verified my accounts with paypal so gonna have to wait til tomorrow but i'll post back here / email you ASAP.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Underwriter for a major company is a cushy job, and interesting. If I were in your position, that would be my goal.

I do sales as an independent agent and it's amazing, but that requires finding a good independent agency to work for... there are many, many lovely ones. Unless you know someone in the game, it's really a crapshoot.

Doing sales as a captive agent for one of the majors will make you some money, but longterm I don't think it's worth it.

Look forward to seeing you become successful - you've surely got the right attitude.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

dpack_1 posted:

Banks are closed here right now and I seem to have never verified my accounts with paypal so gonna have to wait til tomorrow but i'll post back here / email you ASAP.

Cant edit cos of E/N

Turns out I could verify my account through mobile banking.

Sent you $100 to get yourself in some basic comforts for a week, with a little extra for a couple good meals or whatever little luxuries you want. Please 'waste' this money on things we all take for granted!

Good luck fellow goon!

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this
Holy poo poo.

You guys are just amazing, wonderful people and your generosity is absolutely overwhelming for me emotionally. :unsmith:

I made this thread really for advice, to complain/talk about everyday things and just have some human interaction so this is all 1000% more than I could have asked for, this probably doesn't make much sense, I'm emotional right now.

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this

DOMDOM posted:

Underwriter for a major company is a cushy job, and interesting. If I were in your position, that would be my goal.

I do sales as an independent agent and it's amazing, but that requires finding a good independent agency to work for... there are many, many lovely ones. Unless you know someone in the game, it's really a crapshoot.

Doing sales as a captive agent for one of the majors will make you some money, but longterm I don't think it's worth it.

Look forward to seeing you become successful - you've surely got the right attitude.

You had to take a license exam right? Was it hard? :ohdear:

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!

Unexpected Road posted:

Holy poo poo.

You guys are just amazing, wonderful people and your generosity is absolutely overwhelming for me emotionally. :unsmith:

I made this thread really for advice, to complain/talk about everyday things and just have some human interaction so this is all 1000% more than I could have asked for, this probably doesn't make much sense, I'm emotional right now.

Apart from the usual "buy these shoes" etc advice, I don't think any of us can advise you on mental matters. You already have an amazing personality and crazy willpower. Your optimism is awesome.

You have everything you need in your head. If a few of us can paypal you some cash to help, awesome. Just let us know when you get a job and a more permanent situation. Gunning for you :)

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this
Y'all will be the first to know when I get a job because I will capslock that update and add 6000 exclamation points.

I've got a real good feeling about next week. :D

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Brother Aziz! Welcome back

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Who?

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Unexpected Road posted:

You had to take a license exam right? Was it hard? :ohdear:
Yup - kinda hard. I have the office high score with an 83. gently caress workers comp and disability. I wouldn't sweat it though.

how the hell do you deal with this heat on the street?

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this

DOMDOM posted:

Yup - kinda hard. I have the office high score with an 83. gently caress workers comp and disability. I wouldn't sweat it though.

how the hell do you deal with this heat on the street?

Find somewhere that keeps the a/c in the 60s, go to a corner and pee in it. It is now yours. Alternatively, beat your chest and shriek any time someone gets close enough to steal your corner.

Real answer: make nice with starbucks baristas and you can hang out at a corner table as long as you're quiet. Drink lots of water, travel through the scrub "forests", strip naked and run through the streets. Do not actually do that last one.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Hey, I just wanted to chime in with moral support. I've had two short homeless stints, I remember how it wears on you. I'm very glad you have a positive outlook, makes things easier. I'm pulling for you. If you ever need someone to keep you company, I'm online at weird hours and my AIM/Skype are in my profile. I'd be more than happy to listen to you vent or entertain you with stories from my weird past or weird present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

That's kinda rude. Aziz was a goon in d and d that asked for donations, he was a gay Muslim in some middle Eastern country I think? But then there was tons of drama, and maybe he didn't actually need that money.

• Locked thread