Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Totally rooting for you from the other side of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
I'm living vicariously on the streets through you. Don't let me down.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I believe in you, duder. I always have. Kick some rear end!

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

You got this man, no problem!

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this
I PASSED WITH A MOTHERFUCKING 84%

I am loving starving. :D

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Unexpected Road posted:

Awesome!

Go treat yourself to something delicious and bad for you.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Unexpected Road posted:

The best return on investment I have ever had!

Congrats man. Onward to bigger and better things. Live like a king for a day now.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Hell, yeah! Treat yo self to a juicy burger and a coke.

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

Unexpected Road posted:

Great news!

Astro Panda
Dec 21, 2012

Do you even LOTR?!

Unexpected Road posted:

Congratulations!!! And to many more great things heading your way~~~ :)

Vicodiva
Sep 27, 2012

Unexpected Road posted:

Awesome ! This made my day!

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this

I asked one of the social workers to take a picture of it and he emailed it to me so I could post this. I'm so loving pleased.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Unexpected Road posted:

I asked one of the social workers to take a picture of it and he emailed it to me so I could post this. I'm so loving pleased.

Way to go man!!!

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Congrats! Did you share the news with Deshaun and co. yet?

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
Congrats!

you seem to really know your underwriting portion of things (former insurance nerd here)

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
e/n's shining star

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
Nice work, congrats!

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this
Thank you so much guys! :D

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Hell, yeah! Treat yo self to a juicy burger and a coke.

I did! First in six months and my god it was so good. I'm not letting myself feel guilty about it.

Nondevor posted:

Congrats! Did you share the news with Deshaun and co. yet?

I'm back in my town but I haven't run into him yet. I hope Edna hasn't wandered away already.

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this
I ended up getting to the exam really early so I tried to study, couldn't concentrate and ended up just wandering around. There were a bunch of people there taking a bunch of other exams at the same time as me, I was the only one there for an insurance license exam. Three different people checked my id, made me turn out my pockets and life my shirt to check the waistband of my jeans to make sure I wasn't smuggling in a phone or notes or something. All I had on me was my license, my course certificate and the paper confirming my reservation for the test, besides my notebook which was confiscated at the receptionist's desk. My "student" badge had my DL picture copied on it, and then right before they let me into the exam room I had to get my picture taken again. The lady retook that picture because I looked too tired.

There were so many papers to sign and initial, and I was so nervous I didn't read them really well. They were for stuff like "i promise not to talk or cheat during the exam", what time I registered, understanding the break policy, possibly sold my soul to the state. I was given a calculator for some reason, and a dry-erase board. I used them to divide the test into quarter sections for "I'm almost done" purposes haha.

Most of the poo poo on the exam was not actually covered in the course I took. I was maybe 15 questions in, and I was absolutely certain I was utterly hosed. Stuff pertaining to specifically Florida laws was not heavily covered, barely skimmed over at best, but the exam was really in depth about laws and statutes and crap like that. I tried to just use common sense to answer them, and what I could piece together from what I DID know. The course was supposedly tailored to Florida state standards (what a lie.)

I had 3 hours and I finished it in less than one. At the end of 175 questions there were two surveys to take and then I should have gotten my results. With the other students' tests, if the window auto-closed and went to the desktop, you had failed, go see the administrator to get your scores and re-schedule your next attempt.

You can imagine how upset I was when my window auto-closed. I went to the administrator, who told me that my exam was different and that I would learn if I passed or failed in a different part of the building. That... just seemed loving stupid to me, but I loving ran down the hall to the student services wing. They took their sweet rear end time getting my papers out of the lockbox, and when the dude came back with them, he had a piece of paper for me, face down. THE RESULTS.

I had to lean against the wall and breathe for a while when I saw I had passed. JESUS loving CHRIST.

I got to use the receptionist's desk to call the CAE program and let them know. Since I passed above an 80% they will cover the cost of my fingerprinting apparently, which is tomorrow. I didn't even know that was a part of the licensing but okay! I'm on my own for application fees to get my license, but I guess I have a month or something before my exam results expire. I'll find out more tomorrow. I'm just so glad the test is over and done with, and that I passed! I am still in shock that I actually passed! The general part wasn't super concerning, it was the state-specific stuff that threw me and had me panicking mid-exam.

Yayyy!

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
Congratulations! :)

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
Good grief that's stressful.

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

If you give a mouse a cookie, you are supporting underground furry terrorists.
Just to let you know since some people have sent you Paypal, Dollar General actually takes Paypal as a form of payment at the register. I don't know how it works but they have cheap produce and super cheap neccesities, as well as being all over Manatee County. That way if you get into a corner and cant wait to have funds deposited or something, you can still eat and get drinks.

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

Also congrats! You're doing great!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Randomly clicked this thread 30 minutes ago and it's crazy how emotionally invested I got.

Congrats!
Like others have said, you have a wonderful attitude and will do just fine once all this crap is behind you.
Please move out of Florida as soon as you can. I've been to every state and Florida is the used condom of the country (great food in certain places, though).

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this

dpack_1 posted:

The best return on investment I have ever had!

Congrats man. Onward to bigger and better things. Live like a king for a day now.

Because I have proof that I spent the entire day for educational and/or work related reasons, the "hobo hotel" (not the actual name hahaha) is going to waive my first night's fee, so I'm getting 8 nights instead of 7, since they're partnered with the Transitions program.

I think I've got a roommate, but there are heavy privacy curtains that section off each bed and tiny nightstand. Curfew is 10pm, and the lights-out curfew means you have to be in your room but you can read/dick around on the internet for a while as long as you're not disturbing your roomie. I got to take another shower too. Since this is a paid shelter, you get some more freedoms, actual privacy, and the beds are comfortable and clean feeling. Thank you so much man! :D

Tomorrow I start learning what doors this license will open for me.

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Unexpected Road posted:

Because I have proof that I spent the entire day for educational and/or work related reasons, the "hobo hotel" (not the actual name hahaha) is going to waive my first night's fee, so I'm getting 8 nights instead of 7, since they're partnered with the Transitions program.

I think I've got a roommate, but there are heavy privacy curtains that section off each bed and tiny nightstand. Curfew is 10pm, and the lights-out curfew means you have to be in your room but you can read/dick around on the internet for a while as long as you're not disturbing your roomie. I got to take another shower too. Since this is a paid shelter, you get some more freedoms, actual privacy, and the beds are comfortable and clean feeling. Thank you so much man! :D

Tomorrow I start learning what doors this license will open for me.

This is so exciting. Keep your head up! Sounds like you've earned a reason to have it that way.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Amazing and so well earned, what were the first of to graduate again inthe city? First to go through the program and get something other than a GED?

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
loving nice going on the underwriting section!

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this

Louisgod posted:

Amazing and so well earned, what were the first of to graduate again inthe city? First to go through the program and get something other than a GED?

Because I passed the course and exam, I'm the first person in my town to go through the TCAE program and earn something other than a GED :D

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Unexpected Road posted:

Because I passed the course and exam, I'm the first person in my town to go through the TCAE program and earn something other than a GED :D

That's radical.
PM me if you need any help. I was on the verge of homelessness once and now that I'm doing okay, I'd like to give you a hand.

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this
Incoming downer post:

I'm actually having a hard time adjusting (accepting?) having privacy and safety tonight. I don't have a room mate tonight (probably will tomorrow night) and its just weird to know that if I went to sleep, I could get a full uninterrupted nights sleep without having to worry about cops, bugs, animals, lovely drunk people. There's a vending machine down the hall for people who want junk food like chips or cokes. The kitchen closed at 9 but one of the kitchen dude was handing out water and juice for late-nighters. If someone absolutely needs to have a cigarette someone will go out and chill with them to make sure they don't get up to shenanigans or get hassled. Guys I have a bathroom in my room that I can just use without having to mentally figure out what stores are open nearby. It's been almost six months on the streets and I forgot what it was like to be alive without trying to survive or plan for every little thing.

I've managed to snag a (free) shelter bed a couple times when they were somehow free. Lights out means Go The gently caress To Sleep, your personal things are either locked up or you can keep them under your cot, but since you're in a room with 10-20 other people, there's a chance your poo poo can get hosed with, broken or stolen. On the street, I'd tie my backpack to my belt loops to keep it from becoming another snatch-and-run.

It all just becomes as much of a habit as brushing your teeth or making coffee in the morning. You just do it automatically without thinking, it's routine after a while, so when you DON'T have to do it, it's jarring. The schedule is interrupted, and you really start to think "man I gotta get out of this".

Some of th stuff offered here are multivitamins and those Emergen-c packets, when I got a couple it made me extremely aware of how much my teeth hurt and feel loose from not being able to get proper vitamins and nutrition and poo poo. I think I brushed my teeth for like ten minutes haha. Whenever I could get oranges, especially off trees, I'd hoard them for this reason.

Today has been A Good Day, and I don't really want to complain to spoil it, but I wanted to get that off my chest.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
The closest I can relate to you on this one was from when I spent 8 years of my life either being in school or jumping from poo poo job to poo poo job to even shittier temp poo poo job to a poo poo job to an actual career position in which the chokehold of getting work done is loosened and you're allowed to work, and sometimes even goof off while the boss is looking. Now it just feels like life, and I look back wondering how I found that acceptable or how people have to live that way.

On a much worse scale I'm more than certain you'll get there too someday, hopefully sooner than later you'll be able to lie down and sleep safely. Until then enjoy while it's here!

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

Unexpected Road posted:

Today has been A Good Day, and I don't really want to complain to spoil it, but I wanted to get that off my chest.

I wouldn't call this a "downer post" at all. I think this is totally normal. For almost six months, you've been in survival mode -- no room to feel the full weight of it when you just need to get through the day. And then you've been studying for this test, which must have been exhausting, as well as nerve-wracking -- this test is HUGE, and will have a major impact on your life, which is a recipe for anxiety right there.

And then you passed it (WAY TO GO!!!!) So there's a huge adrenaline euphoria wave, which you deserved every moment of. But once the celebratory rush wears off, you're left with the utter exhaustion catching up to you. You don't have the test looming over you, and you don't have the usual fears and worries for the night about cops and drunks ... Which means your mind has a chance to take a breath and actually sift through the chaos of the past several months.

I might be projecting here, but I'm one of those people that can snap to and be completely calm and functional in an emergency, and then collapse once the crisis has passed -- like you're pausing all of those emotions until you have the luxury of feeling them, I think.

Like I said, it might be something else entirely with you, but I wanted to say that I didn't think this was a downer post by any means -- just a normal delayed response to an insane amount of stress. Anyway, you aren't spoiling your good day to feel how you're feeling. Don't be so hard on yourself. Cope however you need to cope, but I definitely hope you manage to get a good night's sleep.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Unexpected Road posted:

how the Presbytarians/New Zealanders/Soprano Singers are ruining the country.

This New Zealander has sent you a small contribution to make amends for ruining your country. I trust this resolves all conflict between our two nations and we will live in glorious harmony forevermore.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Can you post about the total cost of all the licensing fees so we can all make sure you have enough to cover both that and your continued stay in that $15 shelter? I'd love to make sure we (or perhaps I) can keep you clean and safe until you can nail an insurance job.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
Congratulations! I hope you can take a few days to mentally relax and prepare for the future without worrying about basic human survival needs.

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this
Busy day so far.

Went to the TCAE center with my exam and course papers, got a nice pat on the back for passing everything. Got my fingerprints done and filed for my license, woohoo! Then filled out an application for the Transitions program, was drug tested (I'll pass that too haha), then told the earliest I could get accepted would be mid-June still. That's okay, I've survived this long and I still have 7 nights of not having to worry so much.

Licensing fees are nearly $60 for the application and the license itself. That's actually a lot better than I was expecting! I applied for a job at ABC liquor because they had a help wanted sign up. Once I can get the application filed and accepted, TCAE will help me with my resume and to get interviews with insurance companies here, like AFLAC. I have a profile with with Office of Insurance Regulation and it already has my exam results posted :D THINGS ARE HAPPENING and I am so excited I could cry or dance or both.

I picked up a cheap binder today to keep all of my papers safe/dry/in one place. Right now it has my course completion certificate, exam results, a copy of my fingerprints and ID picture, a copy of the FDOI form and receipt that was sent with my fingerprints, and my OIR profile info. I also stuck a reminder in there that I have 30 days after I find a permanent place to live (when the time comes) to update my address with the OIR because gently caress me if I get my license revoked before I even start.

The guy who did my fingerprinting today asked me if I was excited about all of this and I slipped up and said "You bet your loving rear end."

Walter Reuthless
Oct 26, 2006

Problems on Purpose

Unexpected Road posted:

The guy who did my fingerprinting today asked me if I was excited about all of this and I slipped up and said "You bet your loving rear end."

Haha, that's great. I'm glad you did so well! Please let us know how we can keep you in the "hobo hotel" for as long as you need to be there. You deserve good things in life, yo! I'm excited for you!

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

Hey Unexpected, I sent you a PM, if you need office supplies/food/toiletries please let me know.

We lost our house last year and if my husband hadn't found his job we would have been homeless too, we were depending on food banks for awhile. We still don't have much but I'd love to drop you off a canvas bag of things. If you need a blanket, umbrella, etc just list off stuff and I will find as much as I can. Even candy or something to help your day be easier. Summer is coming and I can get you sunblock too (I can't drive so I'm trying to think of all the stuff I need to get by during the hot weather) I can get you a refillable sports bottle or something too. If you hang out at McDonalds maybe I can get you a certificate so you can have a drink or eat while using their wifi (in case they want to hassle you for not being a paying customer).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this
I didn't even realize I had any messages oh my gosh I'm sorry

Responding to them now :)

• Locked thread