Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Randy Poffo was a prospect for the St. Louis Cardinals and the Cincinnati Reds in the early 1970s who featured power, a cannon for an arm, and a tenacious style of play. He was a two-time all-star catcher in high school yet did not attract the attention of scouts. His father drove him to an open tryout held by the St. Louis Cardinals, and out of 300 people he was the only person to be offered a contract.

Poffo's minor league career was dogged by injuries and bad luck. He hurt his shoulder so much he started throwing with his other arm. He put up impressive numbers in the pitcher-friendly Florida League. As Deadspin reported

quote:

his home run rate of 2 percent, normally low, was well above the .9 percent league average — he hit homers twice as often as the average player, and he did it at Al Lopez Field, a ballpark that ran 400 feet to dead center and an unreasonable 340 feet down both lines.

If we inflated Poffo's BABIP to a round .300 by giving him a few more singles, his batting average would improve to .265, his OBP to .332, and his SLG to .390. This .722 OPS would have made him the second-best hitter on his team (even without a PA minimum) and the 14th-best hitter in the league.

As a Cardinal Poffo impressed coaches with his strong arm. He apparently threw the ball back to the pitcher as hard as the pitcher threw it to him. He also impressed teammates by swinging a bat into a hanging car tire to strengthen his hands and focus on his legs during swings. The Cardinals cut Poffo, and he caught on with Cincinnati right about the time the Big Red Machine was poised to torment the majors.

Sadly, Poffo had an unlucky final year in the minors, and his career as a baseball player came to an end. But we can imagine what Poffo would have been like had he not injured his shoulder and made it to the majors. Fans would have cheered for Poffo as he accused Pete Rose of looking at his wife, Elizabeth, and Randy would have thrown elbows into second base in an effort to break up a double play.

Randy Poffo died on this date in 2011. :rip:

Rand alPaul fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

This is a good post and a good thread

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

It's really a shame he never put it all together. I hear he was a tower of power.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Ooooooh yeah.

Normal Not Odd
Nov 5, 2003

what a t e r r i b l e world

what a b e a u t i f u l world
I can dig it. Oh yeah.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
That sliding picture is awesome. I wonder if there are more like it somewhere.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Dejan Bimble posted:

That sliding picture is awesome. I wonder if there are more like it somewhere.

There are plenty of photos of Pete Rose out there for you to Photoshop Macho Man's head onto.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Intruder posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Intruder posted:

• Locked thread