Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
I've heard people talk about how quitting coffee led to them having more energy, better sleep, no "2 o'clock feeling", and all that stuff. So I gave it a try and didn't have any caffeine for over three months. It wasn't really hard, I never had headaches or anything like that. BUT I basically spent those three months lounging around, not getting much done. Never had much urge to get up and get something done like I do after having coffee. So after giving it a try, I'm back to having coffee/NoDoz 2-3x a day and getting stuff done like the dynamo that I am

Anybody here have a different experience? Is there a "trick" to leading an active, caffeine-free life? What experiences did the goonmunity have with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
im gay

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
tl;dr

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

jiggled again

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
i have never had any desire to abstain from caffeine op

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

i have never had any desire to abstain from caffeine op

You've never had the desire to not be dependent on a chemical?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I pretty much have no caffeine as part of my daily routine, and I'm rarely ever tired or "need a coffee." I don't really like the jittery feeling from energy drinks, so I usually just have some light tea. The most caffeinated beverage I drink is the occasional chai. It's also pretty nice not having to pay for a coffee two or three times a day.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

not from this one. im dependent on chemicals to survive every single day (food and water) im not too worried about this one as it is very well researched and has a huge trackrecord

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Basically with how chemistry works your life is dependent on chemicals. But also why stop the fun ones too?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Didn't read the OP but caffeine makes humans better at generally everything with zero long term health consequences, don't see why you would abstain from it.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I pretty much have no caffeine as part of my daily routine, and I'm rarely ever tired or "need a coffee." I don't really like the jittery feeling from energy drinks, so I usually just have some light tea. The most caffeinated beverage I drink is the occasional chai. It's also pretty nice not having to pay for a coffee two or three times a day.

Were you once a coffee drinker? Or just never got into the habit?

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wow I should stop eating because I hate feeling hungry

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Were you once a coffee drinker? Or just never got into the habit?

Never got into the habit.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
im about to make some coffee because of this thread

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
abstaining from caffeine is basically saying you're a big ol' bitch

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
like seriously unless you're a monk or some kind of zen person who lives in a weird palace on a mountain then you're just being a shithead

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

like seriously unless you're a monk or some kind of zen person who lives in a weird palace on a mountain then you're just being a shithead

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
do you even know how many brave conquistadors died to bring us coffee? ungrateful swine

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
You can obviously have too much of it, but some ain't so bad. It's like that spice poo poo from Dune where your mind feels like it's opening up and becoming faster, more incisive.

Until you build up a tolerance and have to chug gallons of the stuff. Then you start getting hemorrhoids and hardened blood vessels.

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Stop doing caffeine on days when you wake up feeling alert, and not at all when you don't work. Boom, you've just made your coffee way more effective

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

When people say there is too much violence in my books, what they are saying is there is too much reality in life.
gently caress that poo poo.

i once gave up coffee for lent when i was like 16. never again.

in fact, i just started drinking an extra cup of french press a day. it owns. caffeine is the best thing in the world.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Next thing you know cocoa will never be needed.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
Sometimes I give up caffeine for a week or two.

You know, so it works better again.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I absolutely must have caffeine on a daily basis. I suffer from migraines, and if I don't have enough caffeine on a particular day, I will have a migraine that night, guaranteed.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

genesplicer posted:

I absolutely must have caffeine on a daily basis. I suffer from migraines, and if I don't have enough caffeine on a particular day, I will have a migraine that night, guaranteed.

chicken or egg tho

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

genesplicer posted:

And you call yourself a teacher.

Migraines are for the cucoo in the head.

Zaradis
Nov 6, 2014
As a hedonist I find the idea of abstaining from anything that you want to be incredibly offensive. OP is a loving heretic!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

i'd stop taking heroin first OP

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
ive overdone it on stretches and felt miserable; quit it for weeks and noticed nothing different.

now sugar otoh is loving poison and your life is better with as little as possible

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

I've heard people talk about how quitting coffee led to them having more energy, better sleep, no "2 o'clock feeling", and all that stuff. So I gave it a try and didn't have any caffeine for over three months. It wasn't really hard, I never had headaches or anything like that. BUT I basically spent those three months lounging around, not getting much done. Never had much urge to get up and get something done like I do after having coffee. So after giving it a try, I'm back to having coffee/NoDoz 2-3x a day and getting stuff done like the dynamo that I am

Anybody here have a different experience? Is there a "trick" to leading an active, caffeine-free life? What experiences did the goonmunity have with this?

did hyou become a mormon or something

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Blazing Zero posted:

ive overdone it on stretches and felt miserable; quit it for weeks and noticed nothing different.

now sugar otoh is loving poison and your life is better with as little as possible

truth

i stopped using sugar about 2 years ago and now artificial sweets taste horrible to me

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

lol at this bullshit

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
yeah ive done lots of boring poo poo to take on the boring pretend problems i have as a retard human being to give myself things to idly chitchat about when i feel like its my turn to contribute to a conversation

hmmmm which laundry detergent to buy
well i remember that gain is the same as tide without the connotations of frivolous spending so i think is the more effective promoter of social justice imo

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Like oxygen and water?

efb

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
had pretty much the same experience, OP

those mormons dont know what they're missing

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

had pretty much the same experience, OP

those mormons dont know what they're missing

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
i can take it or leave it without feeling any different but coffee and espresso are good and totally expand my mind man and sometimes mountain dew is great (this is a "sometimes" treat only for when i've been a very good boy lately)

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
Two monster recovery drinks on the way to class this morning and I still feel like poo poo.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
caffeine isn't a substitute for sleep! in fact I find it is at its most effective after a full night's rest :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
Regulate my coffee intake and I'll regulate your air intake!!

• Locked thread