Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

This is a double-header here, as this fragment will involve both Amy and Deit.

You seem pretty happy about that, Valerie.
The desert hides many artifacts from years past, you see. I'm hoping to investigate the ruins if there's time.
Good luck trying to find pots and pictures while dodging bullets. Oh, and don't forget to bring water because...you know, desert.
Don't worry! I'll be the one bringing all the supplies.
Such a nice girl.
Oh, deserts cold at night, aren't they? I'll bring extra blankets as well.
Thank you, darling.

The value of the advice is a bit diminished coming from a single woman.
Me not giving a drat about men doesn't make it less true.
Gloria's so confident in herself. Maybe I'll be like her someday.
Ah, your time spent in this squad is such a waste.
How did a sweet girl like you end up here?

You what? Did you lose a few marbles in your brain?
I was told a special squad of the army was running low on soldiers. I also heard that the squad paid better than joining the militia, even though the missions would be more dangerous.
Since the militia missions were difficult anyway, I transferred here hoping to get more money.
It wasn't until I joined that I realized how different everything was.
In short, you were tricked.
A shame, too. You could've gotten a much better job somewhere else.
For example, I used to run a...special inn--

Huh? What is she talking about?
Hahaha! Maybe I'll teach you when you're a bit older.
I highly suggest not taking that offer.
Anyways, why the need for extra money?

If he wants work, he's better off selling bread than paintings.
What does he paint? Oil? Watercolors?
Sketches...since we don't have any money.
But once we do, he can get his hands on some real tools and paint a masterpiece!
If good tools were all you needed to draw one, everyone would do it. He's just fooling himself.

If he can't find the opportunity himself, they will never come to him.
A painter that wants to draw to get money to draw more. That is an artist.
A painter that relies on his daughter for money just to get the tools...that is not an artist, but something else.
Well, I believe in my father no matter what. That is what his only daughter should do.

"Dear dad, are you still well?"
Aw, Amy darling, are you writing to your boyfriend?
No, I'm just writing to my father.
Ah yes, the self-proclaimed "Artist."
Stop making fun of him!
Look, it may not be appropriate for me to say, but you should stay away from badluck men. I speak from experience...they're not worth it. Don't carry his burden for him.
Stop! Can't a daughter just support her father and leave it at that?

*meanwhile, outside the tent*

So what's with the sad expression?
It's none of your business!

*Back inside*

Huh? that sounds like Giulio and 56.
Ah, I forgot we have badluck men here as well.
It's just changing the night shift, what's all the fuss?
I'll go take a look.
Just ignore them. Adults like that are bone-headed to talk to.
But I just can't let them be! *runs off*
Oh dear, that child just can't help herself to bad luck.

So this is one of the few exceptions I talked about when it comes to fragments. In order to continue Amy's story, Deit will have to unlock his fragment as well. Till next time, when we'll see why Deit was so angry.

Amy sketch

Tae fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
World maps that change as you complete scenarios like this one are super neat and add this huge sense of progression to games like this despite being a fairly minor feature of the game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

All righty! once we get set up camp, we can finally take a breather.
Good work, everyone!
Why do we have to pitch the army's tents....
Beats me, but it can't be helped.
This isn't so bad. It's better than being sent as the frontline again.
...I hate the army.

You should feel honored to set up our camp!
Hmph!
Hey, you!
What?
What's with your attitude?! Learn your place, Darcsen! Slacker!

*Soldier punches Deit*

Ugh! How dare you!
It's only because you talked back.
It's Darcsens like you that need to be taught a lesson!

*Soldiers punches Deit repeatedly*

Ugh!
You guys just need to shut up listen to your superiors!
Wait, stop! I'll apologize for him, just stop hitting him!
Idiot!
Are you bruised, 56? Do you need to go to the medical tent?

What's wrong with helping a comrade?!
A Darcsen comrade? You're hilarious!
That explains why you're in the Nameless.
Don't push me....even if you guys are army.
Hah, you idiot. One fingerprint on us, and you'll be sent to the firing squad!
Hahahaha! Just try and hit me!
You bastards!
Everyone, please stop fighting!

If you do, I'll report this to your captain.
What?
W-Whatever. Get back to work!

*Soldiers leave*

You guys didn't need to do that.
Hey 56, are you okay?
Don't worry about me...

It's too quiet...did the army reduce their guards tonight?
They're too cocky and relaxed...do they really want to win this war?
...Hmm. It's not even that hard.
Yo, you must be tired! Time to switch shifts!
Ah, it's you 32.
What's with the long face? Are you hungry?
It's nothing.
You know, I heard about that incident with the army today. You sure it's nothing?

What do you mean?
Darcsens don't retaliate...Like I said, it's nothing.
...So what's with the sad expression?
It's none of your business!
Okay, fine I get it. I'm just saying a cheerful face poses few questions compared to a gloomy one.
Hmph....

Oh, Amy. It's nothing, just two guys chatting, right?
I couldn't care less.
It's just that the shift change was slow, so I got worried.
56, please hurry back and get some rest.
Don't mind me.

Is there something the matter?
A child wouldn't understand. *leaves*
*Thinks* Maybe, but even I can tell that something's wrong.

*In the camp*

If only I didn't join the militia....
They sent me here just because I'm a Darcsen!
Damnit! Where's the reasoning behind that?! That's not worth being punished for!
Aaah...if only I could go home....

Deit sketch

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Christ the Gallian army is full of incompetent assholes. It really says something that the Empire is considered worse if this is what the good guys get up to, yeah?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Well you saw the academy that most of the Gallian army officers came out of. The bar was already really low.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

Well you saw the academy that most of the Gallian army officers came out of. The bar was already really low.

I think we actually saw an improved version, since it wasn't full of moronic scions of noble families who expected to be given top commands because of their family standing --- one cpuld speculate that many sided with rebels.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Gloria is certainly building up to be 'the one person who actually killed someone' to get into the Nameless. She's a hardcore granny.

I like Amy though I suspect either everyone's right about her dad being a deadbeat dad or she doesn't know/isn't explaining the full situation. Her situation is reminding me quite a bit about Van and Gogh in Chrono Cross.

Deit meanwhile needs to elaborate more, though I suspect he'll boil over sometime during this fragment and it will be good.

News just in: there are Gallian Army jerks who have not been mellowed out by superior Darcsen Cooking, story at lunchtime.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Gloria is certainly building up to be 'the one person who actually killed someone' to get into the Nameless. She's a hardcore granny.

I think the scene we just saw was hinting that her crime was running a brothel.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

paragon1 posted:

Christ the Gallian army is full of incompetent assholes. It really says something that the Empire is considered worse if this is what the good guys get up to, yeah?

Remember what the leadership of at least part of the Imperial Army was in the first game? A cowardly traitor, Dr. Mengeles, a delusional stalker, Lex Luthor and Jaeger.

VC is a bit heavy handed with these things.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Here you go, Gloria.
No thanks. It's probably a bill or a notice.
Or it could be good news for once! Come on, take it!
Nevermind that. Did your father get your letter?
No, not yet.
What a cold father to ignore his poor, working daughter.
No, it's just...he can't write well.
He should at least try, then. Otherwise he's a poor excuse as head of the family.

Okay, I'm passing out the rest! *walks away*
Ah, such a pitiful child.

*Amy walks towards Deit*

Mail time!
Give it to me.
Here you go.

*A moment passes after Deit reads the letter*

Why are you still here? Leave.
Oh, sorry...it's just that I rarely see you laugh, so...
And...?

Hmph.
Is it from family?
...My little sister. I haven't seen her for a long time. And I might not ever see her again...
Come on, don't be like that.
Hmm?
It's times like these to turn that frown upside down!
Oh? What's wrong?
Just now, you...
...No, nevermind.

Ah, right! I'll see you later, then! *leaves*
15...I wonder about her...

If we take orders from the army, they'll just get us killed again.
Telling me to defend the trenches with my life, while they run away! I'm just a pawn to them!
I just wanted to protect this country...

Is it because I'm a Nameless? Is it because I'm a Darcsen?! Damnit, why?!
This country, my sister...those are reasons to die for. But I can't even do that right!

*Later that night in the field*

Figures, the army's patrol is full of holes. Right then...time to run!

*Much time has passed*

Perfect...I've finally escaped! I'm free! I can finally go home...
Do you really want to home that badly?
What?!

*Cocks gun and points at her*

Wait! You can still return! The others don't have to know!
I made sure to avoid all the scouts. How did you know I was escaping?
...Your home is nearby, isn't it.
What? How did you know this?
The letter's return address...it's near here.
So because of that, you kept in mind I could've left.
Mmhmm.
But why did you follow me? You'll be considered a deserter as well.

What kind of reason is that?!
You're a lot like my father....
What?
Your heart is desperately trying to do something, but the others around you don't recognize it. But you don't know what to do about it. Always worried and troubled....
I said that a child wouldn't understand! Now hurry up and leave!
No! I'm not going back!

I've had enough of this. I just want to bring my sister to a safe place and live our lives in peace.
But....
Wait, did you hear that?
What?

*Large, mechanical noises were heard*

Is that...an Imperial scout tank?
Let's hurry back and report this to the captain!
No need.
Wha?

The entire squad is already in place to ambush the enemy. Number 6 and 15, you two should get ready.
Y-Yes, sir! *runs off*
I...
Are you deaf? Hurry up and confront the enemy!
Um...yes, sir!

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

This story isn't going to end happily, is it.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Christ, so many updates! What a machine! Thanks Tae. :)

Rewind one update a bit though:

Tae posted:

Why do we have to pitch the army's tents....
Beats me, but it can't be helped.

This is a prime example of しょうがない and a literal translation of it. I'm not looking at the original JP text at the moment, but they could have at least made it make a bit more sense or have some variety in English with a "not much we can do about it" or "we can't fight orders."

I'm not knocking on the translation, or choice of translation here, just pointing out that this is lazy writing in Japanese that then got a straightforward translation. :) It's why I'm generally a fan of total rewrites, the kind that VC1 got. (though that had its own foibles)

vvv yes, that is exactly what it happening here. I can't blame any translator though because they either work for free, or they're getting paid not much more than minimum wage.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 28, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you see "it can't be helped" all the time if you read manga and anime. it's one of a handful of phrases you eventually realize is a literal translation of some japanese expression or idiom or what have you. that said, i suppose that's what you get for free translations.

one could even say it can't be helped

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder how long Kurt and the others were there listening to those two talk.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I guess I don't read or see enough japanese stuff, then. Localizing the fragments have been tougher than usual because the they weren't translated by the other script, so that made it harder to figure out what was the equivalent context.

This one I couldn't figure out what it meant for some reason, so I lazily went with the generic "It's times like these to turn that frown upside down!"

This was the original line for "Darcsens don't retaliate...Like I said, it's nothing." Probably not the correct idea, but the idea was hammered so much in previous VC games and yet it was absent so far.

Most of the changes otherwise has been a few words to make sentences flow better into each other, and removing repeating words. There were so many "This THING?" "What, thing?!", especially in Giulio's fragment. I think Amber Mushroom got originally mentioned a dozen times within a scene.

Are there any other common phrases I should look out for when editing?

Tae fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 28, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the only other super common one I can think of is "As expected of BLANK".

it rankles

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Man, I know that this game will probably have its fair share of cliches down the road but I really appreciate the harsh tone of most cutscenes so far. Game's been doing a good job in letting us know that those characters seriously got it rough. Really big mood change from the happy go lucky stuff VC2 had for tone.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Cake Attack posted:

the only other super common one I can think of is "As expected of BLANK".

it rankles
さすがケーキアタック!

:suicide:

Yes, also over-used JP phrase and can be: "as expected of ___", "that's ___ for you", "leave it to ____ to do that", "only ___...". It's used most frequently as a compliment, if you have a good idea or some such, so rather than change it into a complement we get "as expected of ___".

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 28, 2015

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.

Tae posted:

I guess I don't read or see enough japanese stuff, then. Localizing the fragments have been tougher than usual because the they weren't translated by the other script, so that made it harder to figure out what was the equivalent context.

This one I couldn't figure out what it meant for some reason, so I lazily went with the generic "It's times like these to turn that frown upside down!"

Just one sad person can make a whole happy group sad, too.
Of course, I'm poo poo at phrasing things, but that seems to be what she's getting at.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Doobeedoo posted:

Just one sad person can make a whole happy group sad, too.
Of course, I'm poo poo at phrasing things, but that seems to be what she's getting at.

I think it's more "If you keep finding reasons to be sad you will never find reasons to be happy."

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I just wanted to point out why these phrases are so common in translations, not really spark a full blown analysis/criticism. :-\

I'm content with Tae doing whatever's necessary to keep updating at the current pace, even if there's some awkward bits. :-) The meaning gets across regardless of language minutiae.

Thanks for continuing, Tae! :D

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Cake Attack posted:

you see "it can't be helped" all the time if you read manga and anime. it's one of a handful of phrases you eventually realize is a literal translation of some japanese expression or idiom or what have you. that said, i suppose that's what you get for free translations.

one could even say it can't be helped

Actually, it's not a literal translation at all. The literal translation would be "there is nothing we can do (about it)". "Can't be helped" is originally an English turn of phrase, that for whatever reason got latched onto by dictionaries and Japanese classes as the standard translation. It just happens to be the case that people in Japan used their phrase way more often than English speakers use "can't be helped".

There are some other common "dictionary" translations, like people using the word "fellow" a lot, often to refer to women. You see that all the freaking time in amateur light novel translations. I can't remember if that happens in this game though.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 09:07 on May 28, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Going away from translation chat for a moment, I was reading the VC2 LP properly this time and even if the characters in this game aren't high art, man they're so much more interesting.

We actually get to see characters interact with each other outside of those awful, awful skits!

There were characters in VC2 that interested me (Reiner, Helmut, Sigrid) but then they all just went nowhere, like Juliana started her struggle in regards to Zeri/Darcsens. Then she just died with completely no buildup or followup. Or maybe not because it's not like anyone ever mentions it again.

Oh well. Maybe it couldn't be helped. :v:

LiquidRain posted:

Christ, so many updates! What a machine! Thanks Tae. :)

LP would be a far better subforum if every other LPer was replaced by Tae. :v:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 11:04 on May 28, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So this might seem like a bog-standard desert mission, but the gimmick is to defend the red area from enemies. It's an instant loss if enemies enter it, so I highly recommend switching Kurt/Deit/Amy to Shocktroopers before the mission begins. You need all the interception firepower available to last the 4 turns.

The other gimmick is that enemies begin the turn instead of you, so it's very important to not place soldiers right behind Gursurg so they don't get blasted repeatedly by the first strike.

There's so many goddamn tanks in this game, or maybe they're only noticeable because I rarely get a blue butt kill thanks to interception damage being a real threat now.

At least you're guaranteed an A at worst if you survive the mission.

So what now?
You two have violated some very serious rules here.

*Kurt cocks his gun*

Desertion is punishable by death, as you are well-aware.
Of course.. However....

Ah!

*Deit points a gun at Amy's head*

Don't make any sudden moves! If I see a twitch, she's dead!
Wait, you don't have to do this!
Shut up!
56, do you really want to home?
Of course! I'll meet my sister, and then we'll escape this hell hole and live in peace....
I'm sorry, but that's not happening.
Bastard! So you don't care if her brain is blown to bits?!
That's a bit hard to do with the safety on, isn't it?
...!
However, don't misunderstand me. It's not me that's why you can't meet your sister.
What are you saying?!

...What?
How?!
A document came by today, asking her only relative to confirm her death.
She was too slow to run, and got caught in the crossfire.
No...You're lying! You're trying to trick me!
I have the document right here, if you want to confirm.
Shut up....Stop lying! This...piece of paper means nothing! I want...to see...my sister, my little sister....!

The operation was a success thanks to advance scouting from number 56 and 15. Thank you for your cooperation.
Captain...
Return to camp immediately. That is all.

See? I told you the desert is hell.
Move. *walks past the two*
Oh...Did you see his face just now?
It's because 56 has changed. He used to be merely unlucky....but now he's like a zombie, surviving with no purpose.
Meaning?
He'll kill until something kills him.
The lowest, possible depths of sanity....

*Back at camp*

56, you're injured all over! You need to go get medial treatment immediately!
I don't need medicine...I need bullets! There are still enemies to kill!
Please pull yourself together!
Where's the guy that killed my little sister?!
I...
Just let me kill that Imperial bastard! Just the one, and then I'll cross over to the other side! I'll see my sister, then!
Don't be like that! Please cherish your life!

But then... why is she dead, and I'm still alive?! Why, why, why?!
I'm the worst! I'm the worst of the worst!

But you're not the worst. You're a good person. Would a bad person pretend to take me hostage to take all the blame of desertion?
You can't die...please don't die.
No one would cry for me if I were to die right now!
...I would.
What...?

You...ugh...ah....
Come on, what did I say about frowns...?
...Saying that again to me.
Eh?
You remind me of my sister. She used to say that all the time to me as well.
Really....

Huh?
That's my name. Can you say it once?

...Amy...Thank you.
But why are you telling me your name? You've kept it hidden for so long.
...It'd be easier to cry for someone if you knew their name, right?
Just...Please don't talk about such heart-breaking things, anymore.

Sister Face: Increase anti-infantry when near Amy.
Father Face: Increase accuracy/evasion when Deit is near.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Man, Deit has it pretty bad. Joins the army to defend his home and family, gets sent to a meatgrinder penal unit because of his race, and then his family dies anyway.

McGwee
May 1, 2012

Oh that's actually sad.

I mean I'm happy that they decided that not everyone gets a happy ever after, but that was actually sad.

The writing is much better now.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Am I the only one who thought that Deit had only one arm due to his typical portrait?

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
You know, Deit really gave me that Saejima vibe in the fragment. Ah what a shame this game was never localized. Get lovely high school antics but war stories with actual tragedy never gets localized.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Tae posted:

The operation was a success thanks to advance scouting from number 56 and 15. Thank you for your cooperation.
Captain...
Return to camp immediately. That is all.

I liked this little exchange here. Kurt's antisocial as can be but he's trying to be kind in a hardass military kind of way.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'm really starting to hate granny and hope something bad happens to her. Her poo poo eating grin needs to be shaken up.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

she's the best

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cake Attack posted:

she's the best

If you've grown tired of sassy badass cynical granny, you have grown tired of life.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Wow that one little mini-storyline was already better than literally anything we saw in VC2.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

King of Bleh posted:

Wow that one little mini-storyline was already better than literally anything we saw in VC2.

And we wonder why Sega keeps the good stuff from us.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Can one of you japanese readers tell me what this is?

Cause this next fragment is possibly the most literal direct translation yet and it's not anywhere near what conversations remotely sound like.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tae posted:

Cause this next fragment is possibly the most literal direct translation yet and it's not anywhere near what conversations remotely sound like.

"What do you think of weak yet correct/righteous people?"

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

Tae posted:

"What do you think of people who are weak but right?"

Throwing that out there.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Just for comparison's sake, the game's version is "Do you think the weak cannot have justice?" Because Justice and Strength are words used every every sentence.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, depending on the context that could be right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Anatharon posted:

LP would be a far better subforum if every other LPer was replaced by Tae. :v:

Now I feel bad because I should be updating my own neglected LP right now, but instead I am reading VC3 LPs and translating Extra Edition's DLC missions for Apepresident.

Wait, no, I don't feel bad, because VC3 is awesome and more people should have played it.

paragon1 posted:

The unofficial Valkyria Chronicles motto is Everyone's An rear end in a top hat Except For (a few of) Us.

• Locked thread