Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
The tax man decided I gave him too much money this year so with my handsome rebate I went ahead and booked a plane ticket to Madrid this summer, and got one of those interrail train passes that lets me go on any choo-choo train in Europe, so I basically need help planning my route on the map below and deciding where to visit. I'll be staying at the cheapest shittiest hostels known to man the whole time there and posting up pictures of all the wonderful cities I visit and colourful culture I experience along the way for you to enjoy. I have seen the movie Hostel and don't want to go to Latvia but any other suggestions will be seriously considered, as long as I can get back to Paris to catch my return flight three weeks later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax
stay away from paris

trust me

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
u should go to syria lol

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax

Nooner posted:

u should go to syria lol

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Nooner posted:

u should go to syria lol

I can get all the way to the Turkish border of Syria with my interrail pass but what then?

jarvis cocker posted:

stay away from paris

trust me

I've already booked the flight back from there as well as a couple of nights beforehand in some lovely hipster hostel.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Why the gently caress would you do a stupid rear end triangle like that? Go from England down through France and into Spain.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Testikles posted:

Why the gently caress would you do a stupid rear end triangle like that? Go from England down through France and into Spain.

The flight was cheap and I have a lady friend now living in Madrid has said she'll put me up.

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Scotty doesn't know

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
cut manchester out of there. fuckin mancs

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
My friend went to Scotland for New Years and said it was really really fun and nice, but that would probably be boring for you since like it is just a short drive up the road and not even on a different island so like probably just feels like someone from MA driving to NY

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Nooner posted:

My friend went to Scotland for New Years and said it was really really fun and nice, but that would probably be boring for you since like it is just a short drive up the road and not even on a different island so like probably just feels like someone from MA driving to NY

Nah I love Scotland, I've been to Edinburgh and Perthshire a lot, it's an amazing country but yeah my interrail ticket doesn't work in the UK and fancy some places a bit hotter. That's also why I'm flying from Manchester it's cheap to get to and the theme of my Eurotrip is cheap bastard.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

jarvis cocker posted:

stay away from paris

trust me

paris is ok to go once in your life for a couple days imo. lot of good cheap fast-food stuff all around and some interesting places with decent (but really dirty) transit. especially just before/after tourist season. i wouldn't go again though.

rome and berlin loving owned and id def go back there in a heartbeat.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
please don't come here we're full

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

madrid>paris>berlin>warsaw>vilnius>talinn>helsinki>stockholm>london>madrid

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Xaris posted:

paris is ok to go once in your life for a couple days imo. lot of good cheap fast-food stuff all around and some interesting places with decent (but really dirty) transit. especially just before/after tourist season. i wouldn't go again though.

rome loving owned and id def go back there in a heartbeat.

I'm absolutely seriously considering spending a week of the trip going all over Italy even if it cuts out some of the other countries. Rome is a must but should I also go see Naples? Pompeii? Sicily? Venice?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
paris owns, actually

it's expensive but it's a really cool city

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Go to Scandinavia forever, hth

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Visit North-Eastern Ukraine. Beautiful place this time of year.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

I'm absolutely seriously considering spending a week of the trip going all over Italy even if it cuts out some of the other countries. Rome is a must but should I also go see Naples? Pompeii? Sicily? Venice?

Venice is worth a day imo. Go in and stay the night too just because the absolute peace of no sounds and being able to get lost as hell at night was a great experience. I wouldn't spend more than a 1 night and maybe 3/4ths of a day though.

Naples is less than ok, kind of dirty and not much worth seeing, except maybe grabbing some pizza. I didn't really care nor was I there that long. The train from Rome stops in Naples on the way to Pompeii. Pompeii was pretty cool and Sorrento was nice. The route from Rome -> Naples -> Pompeii -> Sorrento you could do easily in a weekend. Stay at some nice hostel in Sorrento and chill.

Cinque Terra is cool too if you want to go from Rome -> Florence -> Pisa (it sucks but it can be done in 2 hrs and on the way to Cinque Terra) -> Cinque Terra is also a nice route. Be warned CT can be a time sink that makes you go 'woah wtf how did i end up staying here a week'. Florence is worth about 1 night, 1-2 days depending on much art galleries and poo poo you like.

I didnt go to Silicily so idk about that. Italy was a lot of fun so I imagine it's cool too.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 20, 2015

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

please don't come here we're full

Where is here? I need to know which countries I'm not welcome.

SorePotato posted:

Go to Scandinavia forever, hth

I'm considering a long weekend in Oslo this October as a separate thing is the only reason I'm leaning away from Scandinavia. Definitely want to see the Northern Lights and all that poo poo maybe eat some whales.

Xaris posted:

Venice is worth a day imo. Go in and stay the night too just because the absolute peace of no sounds and being able to get lost as hell at night was a great experience. I wouldn't spend more than a 1 night and maybe 3/4ths of a day though.

Naples is ok, kind of dirty and not much worth seeing, except maybe grabbing some pizza. I didn't really care nor was I there that long. The train from Rome stops in Naples on the way to Pompeii. Pompeii was pretty cool and Sorrento was nice. The route from Rome -> Naples -> Pompeii -> Sorrento you could do easily in a weekend. Stay at some nice hostel in SOrrento and chill.

Cinque Terra is cool too if you want to go from Rome -> Florence -> Pisa (it sucks but it can be done in 2 hrs and on the way to Cinque Terra) -> Cinque Terra is also a nice route.

I didnt go to Silicily so idk about that. Italy was a lot of fun so I imagine it's cool too.

This is some seriously good Italy advice, thank you.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
If you go to Italy stay away from the parts with gypsy :ohdear:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

I'm considering a long weekend in Oslo this October as a separate thing is the only reason I'm leaning away from Scandinavia. Definitely want to see the Northern Lights and all that poo poo maybe eat some whales.

This is some seriously good Italy advice, thank you.

I added it in but Florence is pretty neat medieval style, kinda touristy but wasn't that bad. It can mostly thoroughly be done in 1 night and 2 days, depending on how much art galleries and thigns you like.

Rome though is really a nice slow burn that can eat up a week too though so just factor that in timewise.

e: Just to give you some ideas about how long you may end up spending in each place. how long are you on vacation for?

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Nooner posted:

If you go to Italy stay away from the parts with gypsy :ohdear:

That's the one thing I didn't like about Barcelona, all the thieving gypos. Fabulous city though and I definitely plan to make a stop there.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Xaris posted:

I added it in but Florence is pretty neat medieval style, kinda touristy but wasn't that bad. It can mostly thoroughly be done in 1 night and 2 days, depending on how much art galleries and thigns you like.

Rome though is really a nice slow burn that can eat up a week too though so just factor that in timewise.

e: Just to give you some ideas about how long you may end up spending in each place. how long are you on vacation for?

3 weeks total, I was thinking 1 week spain (Madrid/Barcelona), 1 week italy (your suggested route sounds top banana and I'm taking notes) and 1 week who knows.

There will be gypsum selfies.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
one thing I wish i had time for was Prague. maybe next eurotrip :( that place looks amazing, but maybe too far out of your way.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
came in looking for michelle trachtenberg

left disappointed

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
you suck OP get dismembered in a hostel

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Xaris posted:

one thing I wish i had time for was Prague. that place looks amazing

Prague looks an easy ride after Northern Italy, I was thinking maybe Prague, Vienna on to Berlin then perhaps Amsterdam. It does look lush yes indeed.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Dubious posted:

you suck OP get dismembered in a hostel

i had a good time in all the hostels i stayed at and usually met cool people from all over :shrug:

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Xaris posted:

i had a good time in all the hostels i stayed at and usually met cool people from all over :shrug:

See that's exactly my thinking. I want to run into crazy Australians and go to dodgy nightclubs and take things that I don't know what they are.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

soon as I tell you'll have tickets booked just to spite me

oldest trick in the book

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
and I'm not falling for it!!!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
yea i met a LOT of aussies, and surprising amount of israelis in hostels. they were p much all cool and went out to some bars with some of them. fun times.

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

Prague looks an easy ride after Northern Italy, I was thinking maybe Prague, Vienna on to Berlin then perhaps Amsterdam. It does look lush yes indeed.

aye yeah. if i had planned it better i may have done from venice to -> vienna -> prague -> berlin -> w/e that's probably a good busy week right there.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
what exactly is it you're looking to get out of this vacation? Some people want beaches and sun and others want like, urban settings where you just explore and shop all day, others want small town settings or rural places etc etc

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Xaris posted:

one thing I wish i had time for was Prague. maybe next eurotrip :( that place looks amazing, but maybe too far out of your way.

Parts of Prague were amazing (the Charles bridge and the St. Vitus Cathedral), parts are cold-war era Soviet architecture

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
i have a soft spot for coldwar soviet architecture so that all sounds good to me.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
sounds like it's a busy 3 weeks though, since your from the UK anyways it may be better just to focus on some spots and then do another trip another year since it shouldnt be that hard for you to travel. arent flights intra-euro like $70?

or see if you can drag it out to a 4 week vacation.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
goto bavaria, i went there last year, was a cool place.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Zzulu posted:

what exactly is it you're looking to get out of this vacation? Some people want beaches and sun and others want like, urban settings where you just explore and shop all day, others want small town settings or rural places etc etc

That's a good question. I want a combination of beaches, culture, history, good food, good nightlife, variety, which is why I am massively open to recommendations. Mostly cities I think but if there's some cool little towns along the way I'll happily check them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Xaris posted:

sounds like it's a busy 3 weeks though, since your from the UK anyways it may be better just to focus on some spots and then do another trip another year since it shouldnt be that hard for you to travel. arent flights intra-euro like $70?

or see if you can drag it out to a 4 week vacation.

That's good advice but sadly work won't let me take any more than that. My thinking is if I visit about 10 amazing cities total that's a couple of nights each, maybe 3 nights in some and only 1 night in others. You're right about the flights and next year my vacations are going to be perhaps one city break every month or so, this is almost like a way to find out where I want those city breaks to be, maybe also some of the places I don't quite get to.

• Locked thread