Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
The more things change, the more they stay the same and despite going in a new direction, things are a changing the same once again. Back in the 90's Bruce Wayne had his back snapped and he was replaced by Jean Paul Valley. Well now in the 2000-teens Bruce Wayne had a loving cave fall in on him, and now he has been replaced by...

No. Seriously. Commissioner Gordon is the new Batman. Just like AzBats he even got a spiffy totally awesome new Batsuit:

(who would win between AzBats vs. GordBats?)

How did this come to be? What the hell is DC thinking? Who is to blame? Are those bunny ears on the Batsuit? What is going on with the batline? Well I can't answer all your questions, but maybe I can shed some light on your batcave of knowledge....or something like that.

Batman - he ain't what he used to be

Where to begin on Batman? Well a good start would be the Snyder/Capullo Nu52 stuff.
Batman has faced the Court of Owls, he fought the Joker, reminisced about that time he became Batman, saved his city (yet again) from blowing itself up, and fought the Joker yet again, but this time it ended differently. All in all that is quite the events to happen to Bruce, so no one can blame him if he wanted to take some time from being Batman and let someone else deal with the poo poo for once, even if it meant that he needed a freaking cave to collapse on him to come to this conclusion.
This leaves Gotham without a Batman, but not for very long. Commissioner Gordon (sans glasses, hair, mustache) to pick up the pieces, all within a spiffy (and GCPD sanctioned) batsuit.
For further reading into JimBat, his adventures will be found in Batman and Detective Comics

Batfamily - current and former residents of Wayne Manor Orphanage

It isn't just Batman who gets to have life altering (or ending) fun. Most of the Batfamily that we know and love has changed in the last few ways, one way or another:

Batgirl

Starting off in Batgirl #35, under the creative guidance of Fletcher, Cameron, and Tarr, Batgirl has gone in a radically different direction from her comic's previous run. Moving forward from past traumas, Batgirl now lives in the hipster part of town, is roommates with your younger sister's college friends, and wears spiffy new duds. The mission statement from the creators is that Babs has put up with enough poo poo, and it is time to live her life. Or something like that, you can read all about it in their own words.
The first Batgirl arc is done and the second arc will start past Convergence.

NightwingGrayson

Batgirl wasn't the only one to get new duds. Grayson, formerly known as Nightwing, was killed by Batman!!!!! Well kind of. More like Batman faked his death, which is more than Batman can do for himself right now as it is hard to fake your own death when a bloody cave falls in on you. Why would Batman do this? Is he a giant jerk? Yes he is. He also did this because Grayson's secret identity was shown to the world, and when such a thing happens you might as well be dead. And while you are being dead, you might as well infiltrate a top secret somewhat evil spy agency because what else have you got to lose. So Nightwing became Grayson, agent double 00 at least I am still alive.
The first arc, written by Seeley and King, with art by Janin has been collected, and the second arc will begin after Convergence.

Red Hood and Arsenal

This is a comic that exists that someone on the BSS forum loves very much. He can create his own thread dedicated to this one comic. Oh wait.....

Robin

A new title starting after convergence is url=http://www.dccomics.com/comics/robin-son-of-batman-2015/robin-son-of-batman-1]Robin: Son of Batman[/url] written by Tomasi with artwork by Gleason. The title will be focusing on the little scamp/newly orphaned (again) Damian Wayne, aka Bruce Wayne's son. He will sadly be powerless, but I'm sure he will have tons of fun and adventures (without his dad, who is buried under a cave at the current moment).

Gotham Academy

One of the funner books to come out recently, this one doesn't really have much to do with Batman (which is good because of the whole cave thing). Written by Cloonen and Fletcher, with artwork by Kerschl, this story follows Olive, Maps, and their friends as they navigate life through the mysterious boarding school that is Gotham Academy. Of course, being in Gotham means that the school has a 99% chance of being destroyed every other Wednesday, but if you wanted a comic that's fun for young teens, or people who like fun stuff instead of caves falling in on them, this is probably the comic for them. The first trade will be available soon, and the comic will restart in June post Convergence.

edit: Because of course there are a hundred more bat-titles to go through.

We are...Robin

Well this one is pretty new, but it has a write-up in USA Today so that's something I guess. Lee Bermajo, best known for his artwork on Luthor: Man of Steel and Joker, does both writing and art duties, and it seems that the comic focuses on youth around Gotham adopting the Robin title and doing some shenanigans. Honestly, I thought this was a story arc done in the early 90's when Steven Grant was writing comics but I guess I was wrong.

Gotham by Midnight

No, it isn't some sleazy late night jazz club, this is one of those comics that kind of spun out of Batman: Eternal. Written by Fawkes and with artwork by Templesmith, this title explores the more mystical/creepy/supernatural stuff that goes on in Gotham. With Corrigan/Spectre as your lead investigator I guess this would all make sense, but still, unless [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Dark]Simon Dark[url] makes an appearance I won't care too much about the title.

Summary

So there you have it. A brief summary of what is to come. Hopefully this thread will be a discussion on all things Batman post Convergence. If I have left out any titles please tell me and then I will pretend to care enough to add those titles in.

Madkal fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Madkal posted:

Red Hood and Arsenal

Not enough trucker caps

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Why are they replacing Batman again, and why is it Jim Gordon? What is going onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

irlZaphod posted:

Why are they replacing Batman again, and why is it Jim Gordon? What is going onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Because Bruce has a cave on top of him.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

From yesterday's solicits, Jim's first major villain will be this dude.

Robocop Vs. Flower Guy :)

e: There's quite a bit of Jim Gordon Robo Batman in the free preview comics they're putting out.
https://www.comixology.com/search/items?search=sneak+peek&subType=newreleases
Batman/Superman, Detective Comics, Gotham by Midnight and 'Batman' in Divergence (https://www.comixology.com/Divergence-2015-1-FCBD-2015/digital-comic/219148?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9pdGVtU2xpZGVy)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 21, 2015

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
You're missing Gotham At Midnight With Chris Hardwick By Midnight, which is a pretty cool book about Jim Corrigan, his ghost friend and some weirdos looking at weird stuff happening in Gotham, Catwoman, which is about a single woman struggling to run the family business and Bat-Mite, a Dan Jurgens book, which might (hah) be entertaining.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Also We Are Robin which looks really promising. And I guess Batman Beyond but p'feh.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

ElNarez posted:

You're missing Gotham At Midnight With Chris Hardwick By Midnight, which is a pretty cool book about Jim Corrigan, his ghost friend and some weirdos looking at weird stuff happening in Gotham, Catwoman, which is about a single woman struggling to run the family business and Bat-Mite, a Dan Jurgens book, which might (hah) be entertaining.

ElNarez posted:

I knew I missed out on some. I'll add them to the OP when I get a chance (I will I will).

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Teenage Fansub posted:

From yesterday's solicits, Jim's first major villain will be this dude.

Robocop Vs. Flower Guy :)

e: There's quite a bit of Jim Gordon Robo Batman in the free preview comics they're putting out.
https://www.comixology.com/search/items?search=sneak+peek&subType=newreleases
Batman/Superman, Detective Comics, Gotham by Midnight and 'Batman' in Divergence (https://www.comixology.com/Divergence-2015-1-FCBD-2015/digital-comic/219148?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9pdGVtU2xpZGVy)

He looks like Slenderman

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Dacap posted:

He looks like Slenderman

Rumor is thats who he's modeled after. http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/05/19/scott-snyder-and-greg-capullo-bringin-a-slender-man-to-comics-with-mister-bloom/

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I don't think Rich Johnston has any special insight on the matter.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 21, 2015

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Yeah, all he's doing there is acknowledging the resemblance, that's hardly a rumor.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Did I hear right that dead Bruce is now reincarnated as a New God or was someone just spinning plausible sounding bullshit?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Trast posted:

Did I hear right that dead Bruce is now reincarnated as a New God or was someone just spinning plausible sounding bullshit?

That's in the upcoming Justice League story that stars Metron and the Anti-Monitor and all that. Surely it's not in sync with the other Batman comics.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Awwww should have been Batman Thread 2015: Your move creep. Or " I'll buy that for a dollar!", or "Bitches Leave!", or " Dead or Alive you're coming with me."

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Asked in the recommendations thread and didn't get much of a reply. What are the good/essential Nightwing stories? Friends have been pestering me and I know little about the character other than he has always had the best costumes.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Cassa posted:

Asked in the recommendations thread and didn't get much of a reply. What are the good/essential Nightwing stories? Friends have been pestering me and I know little about the character other than he has always had the best costumes.

I think Dixon's run has been collected so check that out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If nothing else, it has Blockbuster as the ridiculous looking not-Kingpin, a guy whose villain gimmick is his head is on backwards, a pair of French-Canadian girl acrobat twins that want to bone Nightwing before killing him, and the HI-LARIOUS reveal that Dick's Irish landlady is Chinese as well.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Cassa posted:

You can't go wrong with Chuck Dixon's run. Just start at the beginning, and it goes to #70 (it's a biggun!). I have a handy reading order here as I still have plans to hardbind the whole shebang.
He came back a while later and did Nightwing: Year One (#100-106), which would probably be a great choice.

Birds of Prey #8 (also by Dixon) is probably the best Dick & Barbara issue you're ever going to find.

There's a prestige one-shot that he also did that takes place near the end of his run after Dick has become a cop, called The Target, which is pretty fun.

Joe Kelly did an arc on JLA where the Big 7 is sucked up into the distant past, but Batman set up a contingency back-up League in case the main team was ever lost, and it's led by Nightwing (the "Obsidian Age" arc). It's good stuff, with Doug Mahnke at the top of his game.

They're hard to find, but there was a miniseries called The Batman Adventures: The Lost Years, which takes place in the Animated Series universe, and details what happens during the time time Dick left to become Nightwing.

I really liked his team-up with Power Girl in the later issues of her solo run a few years back. They have a fun chemistry together.

It's not "Nightwing", but Scott Snyder's Black Mirror collection is all about Dick taking up the role as Gotham's Batman as uh, Bruce is sucked up into the distant past (post-Final Crisis). It's stupid good, which amazing art by Jock.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 21, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

redbackground posted:

I really liked his team-up with Power Girl in the later issues of her solo run a few years back. They have a fun chemistry together.

I couldn't think what that was for a minute there. The Winnick run? With the Muslim dude with the weather powers?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

I couldn't think what that was for a minute there. The Winnick run? With the Muslim dude with the weather powers?

I had to POST POST POST so I didn't take the time to look it up then. It's the Winick era, around #17?

edit: 16 and 17 are a 2-part arc, that's probably it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm pretty sure it's the one I'm thinking of. It has Dick and Karen flirting on the red carpet for some society event they're both at as head of their companies (Dick was Batman and in charge of Wayne at the time).

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the one I'm thinking of. It has Dick and Karen flirting on the red carpet for some society event they're both at as head of their companies (Dick was Batman and in charge of Wayne at the time).
ALL THE FLIRTING

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 21, 2015

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Dacap posted:

He looks like Slenderman

What if when his mask comes off, it's ~*The Joker*~?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mogomra posted:

You shut your Goddamn mouth before Scott Snyder hears you

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Thanks for all the advice about Nightwing :D

redbackground posted:

It's not "Nightwing", but Scott Snyder's Black Mirror collection is all about Dick taking up the role as Gotham's Batman as uh, Bruce is sucked up into the distant past (post-Final Crisis). It's stupid good, which amazing art by Jock.

Yeah I definitely loved Dick as Batman.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Cassa posted:

Yeah I definitely loved Dick as Batman.

Anybody that didn't has the amazing superpower of being a jerk. It was so good.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I want more tbh.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Cassa posted:

I want more tbh.
Did you read the 2009 World's Finest miniseries?

(I assume you read Morrison's Batman & Robin.)

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Mogomra posted:

This isn't an Arkham game

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dacap posted:

This isn't an Arkham game

But it is a Scott Snyder Batman comic.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

But it is a Scott Snyder Batman comic.

Morrison did it long before Snyder.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Greg Capullo's talking about leaving monthlies since having a medical scare cause by over work/stress.
https://twitter.com/gregcapullo

Get well, big fella.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Interview with Lee Bermejo about We Are Robin. I quite like the premise for the comic so will probably give it a few issues.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Did anyone else read Batman: Earth One v2?

Because as much as I hate the "Riddler as The Guy From the Saw Movies" trope this book is allll over like every other modern day depiction of the dude, the reworking of another villain is even more hilarious.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Attempts to make the Riddler ultraviolent or grimdark are just stupid as poo poo. The guy is about proving he's smarter than you, not putting winescrews in your eyes or some dumb horseshit.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Snyder surprisingly did a great job of doing a seriously threatening riddler without just making him a serial killer in zero year.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Riddler is one of the few Batman rogues that works really well with Snyder's habitual puppetmaster antagonist style. I loving loved Zero Year's smug, goony Riddler with his ginger sideburns and his fedora.

Speaking of, was it B:TAS that solidified the idea of Riddler being redheaded? Back in the day he was always depicted with a sort of Norman Osborn style dark brown look.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Snyder surprisingly did a great job of doing a seriously threatening riddler without just making him a serial killer in zero year.
He was more of a mass-murdering would-be dictator than a serial killer, I guess? He also did the same sort of "I'm not so much doing riddles as I'm going to murder you with a factoid, Detective!' I didn't much like that either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Edge & Christian posted:

He was more of a mass-murdering would-be dictator than a serial killer, I guess? He also did the same sort of "I'm not so much doing riddles as I'm going to murder you with a factoid, Detective!' I didn't much like that either.

what was the other reworking?

• Locked thread