Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

Blockhouse posted:

Someone needs to sit me down and explain to me why there is a wide reaching social media push for a Poison Ivy book

Poison Ivy fans, especially on twitter, are really really loving crazy and obsessive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jiro posted:

So at what point is Powers Corp. going to go all OCP on Gotham and Gordon is going to have to go on the rogue? Six months in, 8? There any back story to this company that is tied into Gotham's history from older issues back in the day or (like my hunch suggests) is it going to be revealed its a front for Daggett Industries?

Judging by how fast Snyder is moving on the return of Bruce Wayne I'd say next month.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Powers is also the family/company that absorbs/merges with Wayne in Batman Beyond (the cartoon), which is more likely where Snyder got it from.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Jiro posted:

So at what point is Powers Corp. going to go all OCP on Gotham and Gordon is going to have to go on the rogue? Six months in, 8? There any back story to this company that is tied into Gotham's history from older issues back in the day or (like my hunch suggests) is it going to be revealed its a front for Daggett Industries?

Snyder insists in interviews that Powers is totally legit and they're not gonna have some Directive 4 moment where the Batbunny suit shuts down when a criminal mentions Powers Corp.

That said...

Gaz-L posted:

Powers is also the family/company that absorbs/merges with Wayne in Batman Beyond (the cartoon), which is more likely where Snyder got it from.

And in Beyond, Powers is the evil rear end in a top hat who kills Terry McGinnis' dad and later becomes a supervillain.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I assume something is going to happen and Julie is going to help Jim escape. She will then bring him to Bruce.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Blockhouse posted:

Someone needs to sit me down and explain to me why there is a wide reaching social media push for a Poison Ivy book

Is this really happening?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Blockhouse posted:

Because there's a push for for female books in general and even second or third-tier Batman characters are more well known then most other DC heroes or villains?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Blockhouse posted:

She's considered high profile enough among fans that it would make sense, along with the push for more women solo titles. And if Selina and Harley have both proven they can carry solo books with the right creators behind them, it makes sense why people would want Ivy to be included in that.

Plus in new52 she's labeled far more heavily as an anti-villain, which is what she was being pushed as anyway in the tail-end of Pre-Flashpoint era DC.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I would say that goes back as far as No Man's Land.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

lotus circle posted:

She's considered high profile enough among fans that it would make sense, along with the push for more women solo titles. And if Selina and Harley have both proven they can carry solo books with the right creators behind them, it makes sense why people would want Ivy to be included in that.

Plus in new52 she's labeled far more heavily as an anti-villain, which is what she was being pushed as anyway in the tail-end of Pre-Flashpoint era DC.

See, I'd be behind that if Harley Quinn weren't such an awful comic. So DC's really 1 for 2 on female villain-hero comics.

seriously who is buying harley quinn please stop

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

TwoPair posted:

See, I'd be behind that if Harley Quinn weren't such an awful comic. So DC's really 1 for 2 on female villain-hero comics.

seriously who is buying harley quinn please stop

Sooooo many people. Male and female. She had wide-reaching appeal before Conner et al took her on. Now she's directly addressing her fans a lot. She's Deadpool.

So is this thread where I talk about Gotham Academy? Did this thread somehow become the DC thread?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I read the free sneak peek thing of Harley Quinn and it seemed pretty good. The blatant not-Oracle made me roll my eyes pretty hard though. Most of her pun-names were pretty funny.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Was Taters posted:

Sooooo many people. Male and female. She had wide-reaching appeal before Conner et al took her on. Now she's directly addressing her fans a lot. She's Deadpool.

So is this thread where I talk about Gotham Academy? Did this thread somehow become the DC thread?

There are DC books other than Batman books?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
For some reason people keep putting out Green Lantern books.

NFC.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
We could try replacing Hall Jordan with a fema *Geoff Jhons enters a berserker rage*

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Was Taters posted:

She's Deadpool.

I know but she's a poorly written Deadpool and I hate it. :negative:

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

TwoPair posted:

I know but she's a poorly written Deadpool and I hate it. :negative:

That's ok, so is almost all of Deadpool :v:

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I didn't like the Harley Quinn that appeared in that Gods and Monsters preview Timm made, until I realized he it's him telling people "This is where she is headed. This is the road you're sending her down. :colbert:"

Harley as Lobo.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Was Taters posted:

This is definitely the thread to talk about GA.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
I liked this issue, although the art isn't as delicately lovely as it has been. Damian Wayne is one of my least favorite characters in comics, but he always at least is portrayed as being at his most interesting around other kids. Shockingly indiscreet though, here.

A nice 'aside', issue, which probably won't have longterm impact on the overall story, but I dug it.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Letting Damian into your heart is the first step towards inviting peace and joy into your life.

"->tt<-"

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
gently caress that piece of poo poo self insert daddy issue package piece.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Blockhouse posted:

I will be completely honest, though: I would MUCH rather see a Riddler series that had him back on that "I'm trying to be a good guy PI" thing they tried. Ed Nygma, the Jim Rockford of the DC universe.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hour long Becky Cloonan talk on Gotham Academy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BCw6-d8k0E

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Was Harvey Bullock a B:TAS character that made its way over to the comics like Harley and I think Montoya?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Nystral posted:

Was Harvey Bullock a B:TAS character that made its way over to the comics like Harley and I think Montoya?

Nah he's been around since the 80s, I think.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Way earlier, actually! He first appeared in 1974.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nystral posted:

Nah. He was introduced in 1974
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvey_Bullock_%28comics%29

e: Oops. Reloaded before posting when yr looking poo poo up.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 19, 2015

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Harvey definitely feels like a character who got more exposure/characterization in the comics because of the cartoon show, despite existing before the show. Same can be said about Mr. Freeze.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Madkal posted:

Harvey definitely feels like a character who got more exposure/characterization in the comics because of the cartoon show, despite existing before the show. Same can be said about Mr. Freeze.
That's an understandable feeling, but after being more or less a one-off character in his first (1974) appearance, Bullock got folded into the Batman books when Len Wein was editing the titles in the mid-1980s and appeared in one or more Batman comics almost every month from 1983-1987. I've never read it, but it seems like the only reason he stops appearing in the Batbooks is because he gets recruited into Checkmate and appears in *that* book for the next couple of years. He's back in the Batbooks by the end of 1992, right as the cartoon is starting. That definitely didn't hurt his profile one bit, but he was already a pretty regular fixture of Gotham cop stories, second only to Gordon.

Mister Freeze, on the other hand, appeared on the cover of a 1959 comic as "Mister Zero" and while he made some appearances in villain montages/groups/jail after that, didn't get a cover feature again until 1979 and appeared sparingly enough through the eighties that Grant Morrison put him in "limbo" in Animal Man, alongside other discarded characters like The Gay Ghost, Doiby Dickles, etc. I doubt anyone would have considered him in the top 10 (or possibly 20, maybe 30) Batman villains prior to the Animated Series.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I don't want to summon DZ but how is Red Hood/Arsenal?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Nobody remembers Joe Potato

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

I doubt anyone would have considered him in the top 10 (or possibly 20, maybe 30) Batman villains prior to the Animated Series.

I guess I knew him as a top tier B-Man villain from reruns of the 60's show in my 80's childhood :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 19, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

SalTheBard posted:

I don't want to summon DZ but how is Red Hood/Arsenal?

Since no one else answered.

Is a pretty fun buddy cop-like story. It starts with Roy on his own, sad over his breakup with Kori and over the story Jason comes back and they patch things up.

Art was great, Medri's style is clean and he puts of detail on both the characters and the backgrounds so yeah, definitely worth a look.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Nystral posted:

While everyone else has done a great job of listing Bullock's character history, I think one comment I remember hearing from Mightygodking was that BTAS was responsible for Bullock's look. That of "Fred Flintstone, if he was a cop in Sin City."

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Prior to B:TAS Bullock was usually drawn almost like a old-timey hobo, or one of those clowns that look like hobos. He had severe 5 o'clock shadow, was constantly smoking, disheveled and shabby clothes, and usually some kind of weirdly colored or patterned pants, sometimes with a tie of the same pattern. He was also really clumsy which Gordon once used intentionally to heckle one of Gotham's many interim mayors that didn't like Batman (and by extension didn't like Gordon).

He was way more of a buffoon type character than he was on the show.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So how's this new setup actually work? Robot suit or not, isnt Gordon an old man?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

isnt Gordon an old man?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Pretty interesting article about the recent change in status quo on Batman

Some pieces I found important:

quote:

Look. Some of these substitute-Batman stories are good and some of them are awful but the problem with all of them is the same– they come with an expiration date. We know Bruce Wayne will return. We know this. Each time DC does a “there’s a new Batman in town, everything’s different” storyline, it looks more desperate and fans take it less seriously, especially those stories that use the apparent death of Bruce Wayne as a jumping-off point. The reader response to that is NOT “oh my God, how can there be a world without Batman? Who will save Gotham City now?” It’s, “Been there done that, there’s no way you are serious about this, it’s comics, he’ll be back.” The more DC flails around swearing no they really mean it this time, the more readers become convinced it’s another dumb stunt.

This is even more tone-deaf than the General Ross Hulk, if you ask me. The whole reason Commissioner Gordon exists as a character is to NOT be Batman. He can’t do what Batman does, and more, he wouldn’t do what Batman does. He’s the symbol of law and order in Gotham City.

This reminds me of an old, old cycle. You see it a lot in superhero comics– hell, you see it in any long-running adventure series that’s written by a group of diverse people, whether it’s James Bond or Star Trek. The newest creative crew want to do something DIFFERENT, so they add new characters or try a new tone or approach, or make some other change. Creators keep adding to it and changing it until one day it becomes unrecognizable. At that point the realization hits that you’ve lost the part people liked in the first place and it’s time to go ‘back to the basics.’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Absolutely nothing in that article is a radical statement

• Locked thread