Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I brought this up years ago, but I sort of would be interested in them playing around with Gordon's 'Secret Star' I saw mentioned once a long time ago. Gordon had a team of 5 hand-picked men to replace Batman should the need ever arise. Oddly enough, the according to something I read the only one of the five that assumed the role was named Blakely, which makes me wonder if that was an intentional easter egg in TDKR.

Gordon having a team of people that he trusted to rotate in and out of being the Batman that worked within the confines and open support of the law could be an interesting take to play with for a year or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

How dare the "newest creative crew" gently caress around with Batman after five years of telling Bruce Wayne stories!

e: He seemingly didn't take the time to read the issue. That's cool.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 22, 2015

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
An interesting point I heard on a podcast review is the idea that, despite all the reboots, Bruce Wayne isn't really any younger. He's the same nebulous age now that he was seventy years ago. But in the New 52, Jim Gordon is younger, so why not use that? Why not have Jim Gordon do some superheroics?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

How dare the "newest creative crew" gently caress around with Batman after five years of telling Bruce Wayne stories!

e: He seemingly didn't take the time to read the issue. That's cool.

Yeah I was gonna say, if he'd even read the one issue of the character that exists, the whole point is that Gordon isn't going to do what Batman does, but that now Batman is going to do what Gordon does. It's a Batman who's also a cop.

Of course I give it four issues maybe before Batgordon is on the run from this corrupt corporation and their Bat Drones.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
BatJim basically being the most terrifying form of 'bumbling dad' in this week's Batgirl is a pretty good use of him, and is also a neat way of turning the usual fear around on Babs. I assume the cartoon's backstory of Livewire being a shock-jock that got superpowers and became even more of an rear end in a top hat to get attention still applies?

And JUST loving SAY 'ORACLE', OK?! Either that's the name, or it's not, but being coy isn't going to make anything better when they finally do it. There's no red herrings, it's either the thing everyone thinks it is, or it's something totally different that no-one's going to feel strongly about. What's the point of drawing it out?

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
I finally got the chance to get We Are Robin and I enjoyed it, even the cheesy title drop. I really hope the following issues will also showcase the lives of the other robins, because I'm already really intrigued by their designs.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Speaking of which, is any interested in learning more about the characters the creators did an interview and showed off character bios and art.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Pretty interesting article about the recent change in status quo on Batman

Some pieces I found important:

I disagree on all fronts really. Yeah the story has an obvious expiration date, but that's why the fears he assertsabout changing too much are totally unfounded. The fact that Bruce turns up in the first issue shows that they're not even trying to hide the fact that it's a vacation, not an irreversible shake up.

Also, why couldn't Gordon be batman? The inherent tension of being a batman-cop is the most interesting angle to it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I picked up the Gotham Academy trade, and while I had some issues with the pacing, it was delightful. I was specifically picking up a comic I could show to my cousins when I went to California and I think I made a good choice.

And I love the art.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

How does a realistically proportioned human being fit into that suit?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's proper powered armor not just an iron man suit

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You step into it.
e: Allow my entirely accurate stick figure to illustrate.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 29, 2015

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Baron Bifford posted:

How does a realistically proportioned human being fit into that suit?

His feet must rest at robo-groin level

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Veg posted:

His feet must rest at robo-groin level

If you kick him in the balls, the balls kick back.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

You step into it.

The artist didn't show his suit-up sequence in full frame because he knows it's impossible.

Kinda reminds me of the Space Marines from Warhammer 40,000. Just look at any typical drawing of a Space Marine and you can see the artist didn't draw the armor over a human model, he just skipped straight to the armor.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Teenage Fansub posted:

You step into it.

I really like that Batsuit. It's good to know that somewhere deep inside the Mecha Rabbit there is actually a well designed Batsuit.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Baron Bifford posted:

The artist didn't show his suit-up sequence in full frame because he knows it's impossible.

Kinda reminds me of the Space Marines from Warhammer 40,000. Just look at any typical drawing of a Space Marine and you can see the artist didn't draw the armor over a human model, he just skipped straight to the armor.
Warhammer Space Marines aren't baseline humans. They've got weird genetic implants and are essentially grown to fit into that armor. Like, remove the armor, and they all look like the Hulk. Only not green.

Granted, that was probably decided long after Games Workshop designed Space Marines, but still.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I wonder how long writers will resist putting one of Batman's classic rogues in a mech and have them fight the new Batman.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Here's how it works just less permanent. Same amount of smoking, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVtXac6if14

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Francis Manapul is leaving Detective Comics at the end of this arc, with a new writer on the next.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/07/01/francis-manapl-walks-off-detective-comics-for-something-new/
It's not clear if Brian Buccellato is staying.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Teenage Fansub posted:

From yesterday's solicits, Jim's first major villain will be this dude.

Robocop Vs. Flower Guy :)

What's this guy called?

Also, do they use villains like Maxie Zeus anymore?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kurtofan posted:

What's this guy called?

Mister Bloom.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Kurtofan posted:

What's this guy called?

The Joker, probably.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Nonsense, he's a brand new addition to the Batman rogue's gallery. Like the Arkham Knight or Oberon Sexton.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The arkham Knight is a TOTALLY 100% BRAND NEW character that they CREATED, okay???!!!!!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
In that, like every character Geoff Johns envisions, he's a white guy that was in the comics when Geoff was a kid.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Gaz-L posted:

In that, like every character Geoff Johns envisions, he's a white guy that was in the comics when Geoff was a kid.

So he was offhandedly mentioned in an Alan Moore comic in the 80s?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Drifter posted:

The arkham Knight is a TOTALLY 100% BRAND NEW character that they CREATED, okay???!!!!!

Why did Jason save Batman again at the end of the game? Nothing about Jason makes any sense post his boss fight. .

Anyway on the tangent of the pretty good game and this new Patlabor Batman. Has there been any arcs where Bruce is just flat out broke trying to be Batman? I know during Batman Inc. he remarks how Man of Bats does it on a budget on the res, but has Batman ever been cut off from his massive money super power and just had to make due?

I think it would be an interesting thing to explore, he can't take the Batmobile out because its gas costs are massive so he opts to live in Gotham proper to cut down on travel time and swing and glide everywhere.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Batman Year 100? (Which Is on sale on comixology go buy it)

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

hup posted:

Batman Year 100? (Which Is on sale on comixology go buy it)
That was about the only thing I could really think of as well.

And Year One doesn't feature any WayneTech-For-Batman-Use-Only upgrades either, I guess.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 5, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Does the homeless insanity in Batman RIP count? That was fun.

He and Alfred had to move into an apartment building for Arkham Manor, but the comic only spent a couple pages on it before he went undercover for the rest of the miniseries.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I was thinking Return of Bruce Wayne when he had to start Batman from the ground up in each era. Although he did seem to be doing pretty well for himself in Pilgrim Times.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ok, I'm the sort of person who seeks out and reads the famous stories but can't handle the idea of following an actual series or canon, but I want to give it a try with this. I've just started reading this Batman series (just finished City of Owls), and now I discover that there's like 4 Batman series running concurrently in this universe?

I am a loving idiot when it comes to comics and their canon, but how does that work? Is whatever she Batman's getting up to in Detective Comics happening at a different time than the main Batman series? Does he do one storyline in one series, then go do another in the other one, but you just read them all at the same time? If I don't start on Detective Comics until I'm caught up on Batman, will everything be spoiled or will nothing make sense?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Steve2911 posted:

Ok, I'm the sort of person who seeks out and reads the famous stories but can't handle the idea of following an actual series or canon, but I want to give it a try with this. I've just started reading this Batman series (just finished City of Owls), and now I discover that there's like 4 Batman series running concurrently in this universe?

I am a loving idiot when it comes to comics and their canon, but how does that work? Is whatever she Batman's getting up to in Detective Comics happening at a different time than the main Batman series? Does he do one storyline in one series, then go do another in the other one, but you just read them all at the same time? If I don't start on Detective Comics until I'm caught up on Batman, will everything be spoiled or will nothing make sense?

While the stories have some references to other titles here and there, in general they're mostly unconnected and is better to read them as independent stories.

Also keep in mind that Snyder's Batman is the only one with significative impact on the whole line.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Steve2911 posted:

Is whatever the Batman's getting up to in Detective Comics happening at a different time than the main Batman series? Does he do one storyline in one series, then go do another in the other one, but you just read them all at the same time?
It really depends on who's writing, and what's going on. Most of the time, you're safe to just read the title you want to read. Want to read Snyder's Batman? Just plow on through. DC tries to keep the Bat-titles at least somewhat connected, so you'll probably see references to key storylines in other comics, but if you absolutely need to read Detective #XX next or something, you'll probably have a note or something telling you. You're rarely going to have to keep jumping from title to title unless there's a Major Crossover Event, and you'll be told where to go.

Or just ask here!

But basically, don't worry about it. More Bat comics means more Bat money for DC, so they try to keep a lot going. Don't stress it, though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

redbackground posted:

It really depends on who's writing, and what's going on. Most of the time, you're safe to just read the title you want to read. Want to read Snyder's Batman? Just plow on through. DC tries to keep the Bat-titles at least somewhat connected, so you'll probably see references to key storylines in other comics, but if you absolutely need to read Detective #XX next or something, you'll probably have a note or something telling you. You're rarely going to have to keep jumping from title to title unless there's a Major Crossover Event, and you'll be told where to go.

Or just ask here!

But basically, don't worry about it. More Bat comics means more Bat money for DC, so they try to keep a lot going. Don't stress it, though.

Good to know. I guess I'll just stick to the main series for the time being and check out the others later on then.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
So you guys have a subscription to this stuff or...?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Most any shop will let you set up a pull list. Which, yeah, is more or less a subscription.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

"Jiro" posted:

I think it would be an interesting thing to explore, he can't take the Batmobile out because its gas costs are massive so he opts to live in Gotham proper to cut down on travel time and swing and glide everywhere.

Back in the 90's Alex Ross did these huge books that focused on the Trinity (Plus Captain Marvel.)

I think the Batman one was Batman: War on Crime, where a poor kid watches his parents get killed. And it makes Batman wonder if he cod do what he does without the Wayne Billions.

Maybe that is what you are after?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
That's not it at all. That's like half a page of soliloquy, what the guy is wanting is Spider-man or Daredevil or Punisher. Or Cloak, from Cloak and Dagger. Or, more realistically, anyone from Gotham PD.

Them affording poo poo is not part of the power fantasy, and it BARELY effects anything even for iterations of Spider-man - it's just a quip or two about being poor, and then back to superheroing.

Actually, Rorschach from Watchmen, or the comic Kick-rear end is what you want.

edit: actually, thinking on it some more, Golden Streets of Gotham may be what you are looking for. It's an elseworlds, and takes place in the 1800s or something where Bruce Bruno is a day laborer, I think. He steals from people to fund his habits of fighting crime.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 5, 2015

• Locked thread