Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

HitTheTargets posted:

Most any shop will let you set up a pull list. Which, yeah, is more or less a subscription.

But you still have to go to the store, right? I'm not entirely clear on what a pull list is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Kurtofan posted:

But you still have to go to the store, right? I'm not entirely clear on what a pull list is.
Pull List is basically a list of comics you're going to buy for the month. You give it to your store, they order/reserve a copy for you, you pay them either in advance or on the day of pickup.

There are options for reading comics without going to the store, like buying digital.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

lotus circle posted:

Pull List is basically a list of comics you're going to buy for the month. You give it to your store, they order/reserve a copy for you, you pay them either in advance or on the day of pickup.

There are options for reading comics without going to the store, like buying digital.

That's interesting, any reason why thy don't do straight up subscriptions?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I used to subscribe to Spiderman and got it delivered. That was like 10 years ago though.

Just go digital.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Steve2911 posted:

I used to subscribe to Spiderman and got it delivered. That was like 10 years ago though.

Just go digital.

It's just curiosity, I don't even live in the states.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Drifter posted:

That's not it at all. That's like half a page of soliloquy, what the guy is wanting is Spider-man or Daredevil or Punisher. Or Cloak, from Cloak and Dagger. Or, more realistically, anyone from Gotham PD.

Them affording poo poo is not part of the power fantasy, and it BARELY effects anything even for iterations of Spider-man - it's just a quip or two about being poor, and then back to superheroing.

Actually, Rorschach from Watchmen, or the comic Kick-rear end is what you want.

edit: actually, thinking on it some more, Golden Streets of Gotham may be what you are looking for. It's an elseworlds, and takes place in the 1800s or something where Bruce Bruno is a day laborer, I think. He steals from people to fund his habits of fighting crime.

Thanks for all the recommends y'all. To be more specific you guys know how there are many arcs in Iron Man where Tony fucks up his company, gets it taken over by a rival, and has to "start from scratch but not really because "reasons". Have there been any modern type stories where Wayne Industries goes into the toilet, or just funds cut off from Bruce where he's been forced to do "Batman on a budget"? The Elseworlds stuff is great, especially Batman 100, and Gotham by Gaslight. I dunno I was just thinking it would be an interesting way to go for a little while to have Bruce and Damian and Alfred go live in some kind of apartment in a tough (read any) Gotham neighborhood, and have to save up on Batarangs and gas pellets, maybe some interesting character moments of Alfred sick of Bruce not doing chores and sending him out to do groceries. Or having Bruce try and possibly move in with Selina cause she has a nicer place for a few laughs.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jiro posted:

Thanks for all the recommends y'all. To be more specific you guys know how there are many arcs in Iron Man where Tony fucks up his company, gets it taken over by a rival, and has to "start from scratch but not really because "reasons". Have there been any modern type stories where Wayne Industries goes into the toilet, or just funds cut off from Bruce where he's been forced to do "Batman on a budget"? The Elseworlds stuff is great, especially Batman 100, and Gotham by Gaslight. I dunno I was just thinking it would be an interesting way to go for a little while to have Bruce and Damian and Alfred go live in some kind of apartment in a tough (read any) Gotham neighborhood, and have to save up on Batarangs and gas pellets, maybe some interesting character moments of Alfred sick of Bruce not doing chores and sending him out to do groceries. Or having Bruce try and possibly move in with Selina cause she has a nicer place for a few laughs.

That doesn't exist by definition of the Batman. He's Bruce Wayne - even 'poor' he has stockpiles and connections and whatnot.

Elseworlds, where he's not the real batman anymore is all you're gonna get. And even then, Money's never going to be an issue. Even as a poor as gently caress Russian government dissenter in Red Son, money never came into the equation.

You're really expecting too much from the Big 2, I think.
In Knightfall, Jean Valley stole the Batman from Bruce Wayne for a while if I remember it right, but there's no rpg-esque 'hero has to start over with zero items' type of trope. These comic characters ARE their items and trappings.

Now, Maybe you could read something like Astro City - mainly because it's a better comic than 99% of all other superhero comics -, but even then you're not really going to find superheroes undergoing videogame rpg style quests to level up.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 6, 2015

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Drifter posted:

edit: actually, thinking on it some more, Golden Streets of Gotham may be what you are looking for. It's an elseworlds, and takes place in the 1800s or something where Bruce Bruno is a day laborer, I think. He steals from people to fund his habits of fighting crime.

Golden Streets of Gotham is pretty good, I thought. He's an immigrant who went west to work and when he comes back he discovers that his parents died in an incident like the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire and ends up becoming a Robin Hood-like figure working for the disenfranchised workers rather than a traditional vigilante. Selina Kyle's the daughter of a wealthy industrialist who wears a cat mask to crusade for workers rights without her father's knowledge. I have it in a timeline of Batman Elseworlds starting with Gotham by Gaslight (1880's-90's), Golden Streets of Gotham (1910's) and The Doom that Came to Gotham (1930's).

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Drifter posted:

That doesn't exist by definition of the Batman. He's Bruce Wayne - even 'poor' he has stockpiles and connections and whatnot.

Elseworlds, where he's not the real batman anymore is all you're gonna get. And even then, Money's never going to be an issue. Even as a poor as gently caress Russian government dissenter in Red Son, money never came into the equation.

You're really expecting too much from the Big 2, I think.
In Knightfall, Jean Valley stole the Batman from Bruce Wayne for a while if I remember it right, but there's no rpg-esque 'hero has to start over with zero items' type of trope. These comic characters ARE their items and trappings.

Now, Maybe you could read something like Astro City - mainly because it's a better comic than 99% of all other superhero comics -, but even then you're not really going to find superheroes undergoing videogame rpg style quests to level up.

It was just a thought is all. And I do read Astro City love Astro City. I just like the juxtaposition of say Morrison's Batman when he launches a rocket from a well on the manor grounds, to a recently dirt poor Bruce trying to make Batman work on a dime.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Batman Eternal kind of dealt with Bruce losing his Wayne Foundation money and such but that storyline was dropped once Endgame started and once Endgame ended it didnt really count anymore.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

redbackground posted:

And Year One doesn't feature any WayneTech-For-Batman-Use-Only upgrades either, I guess.

Except for the "call all the bats" thing that he specifically states cost a fortune to develop.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Perry Normal posted:

Except for the "call all the bats" thing that he specifically states cost a fortune to develop.
DAMMIT :argh:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Steve2911 posted:

Ok, I'm the sort of person who seeks out and reads the famous stories but can't handle the idea of following an actual series or canon, but I want to give it a try with this. I've just started reading this Batman series (just finished City of Owls), and now I discover that there's like 4 Batman series running concurrently in this universe?

I am a loving idiot when it comes to comics and their canon, but how does that work? Is whatever she Batman's getting up to in Detective Comics happening at a different time than the main Batman series? Does he do one storyline in one series, then go do another in the other one, but you just read them all at the same time? If I don't start on Detective Comics until I'm caught up on Batman, will everything be spoiled or will nothing make sense?

Others have answered this question as well, but essentially as long as you read the series "Batman" it will make total sense. The only thing that might throw you off is after Year Zero, because the events of Batman Eternal effect the storyline. Here is what you need to know (spoilers of Batman Eternal)

Commissioner Gordon is in jail. He was thrown in jail because he shot at bad guy, the bullet hit a switch box and caused a train to derail killing the passengers. Batman is an enemy of the police due to machinations of the big bad of Batman Eternal. Bruce has Wayne Manor taken over and changed into Arkham Manor. He also has funding from Wayne Enterprise cut off as someone said earlier.

I really enjoyed the first 40 issues of Snyders Batman. 41 starts a new and different status quo and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Also one other nice thing that DC does, they bundle the tie in issues and release them as a hard cover. For example Vol 1 is Court of Owls and Vol 2 is City of Owls, but there is a book called Night of the Owls that includes all the Bat family tie ins. They are not required reading, also Death of the Family has a similar tie in book.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I don't think Batman Eternal ever really impacted Batman. I don't read Eternal, just Detective Comics and Batman and I never noticed anything.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
It felt like Eternal was trying to be the "spine" of the bat books setting up Gotham after Midnight and bringing the Spoiler into the fold. Not a lot was really followed up with though, but it might still have an impact.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Drifter posted:

Oh wow. This looks super neat. I'm really digging that take on the batsuit.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jiro posted:

Why did Jason save Batman again at the end of the game? Nothing about Jason makes any sense post his boss fight. .

Anyway on the tangent of the pretty good game and this new Patlabor Batman. Has there been any arcs where Bruce is just flat out broke trying to be Batman? I know during Batman Inc. he remarks how Man of Bats does it on a budget on the res, but has Batman ever been cut off from his massive money super power and just had to make due?

I think it would be an interesting thing to explore, he can't take the Batmobile out because its gas costs are massive so he opts to live in Gotham proper to cut down on travel time and swing and glide everywhere.

That's essentially what the Aronofsky version of the Batman reboot (that indirectly ended up being Begins) would have been.

Slashfilm posted:

[I]n the summer of 1999 Warner Bros asked New York film-maker Darren Aronofsky, fresh from his breakthrough feature, Pi, how he might approach the Batman franchise. “I told them I’d cast Clint Eastwood as the Dark Knight, and shoot it in Tokyo, doubling for Gotham City,” he says, only half-joking. “That got their attention.” Whether inspired or undeterred, the studio was brave enough to open a dialogue with the avowed Bat-fan, who became interested in the idea of an adaptation of Year One.

“The Batman franchise had just gone more and more back towards the TV show, so it became tongue-in-cheek, a grand farce, camp,” says Aronofsky. “I pitched the complete opposite, which was totally bring-it-back-to-the-streets raw, trying to set it in a kind of real reality — no stages, no sets, shooting it all in inner cities across America, creating a very real feeling. My pitch was Death Wish or The French Connection meets Batman. In Year One, Gordon was kind of like Serpico, and Batman was kind of like Travis Bickle,” he adds, referring to police corruption whistle-blower Frank Serpico, played by Al Pacino in the eponymous 1973 film, and Robert De Niro’s vigilante in Martin Scorsese’s Taxi Driver. Aronofsky had already noted how Frank Miller’s acclaimed Sin City series had influenced his first film, Pi; in addition, the director already had a good working relationship with the writer/artist, since they had collaborated on an unproduced feature adaptation of Miller’s earlier graphic novel, Ronin. “Our take was to infuse the [Batman] movie franchise with a dose of reality,” Aronofsky says. “We tried to ask that eternal question: ‘What does it take for a real man to put on tights and fight crime?’”

The studio was intrigued enough to commission a screenplay, in which Aronofsky and Miller took a great many liberties, not only with the Year One comic book, but with Batman mythology in general. For a start, the script strips Bruce Wayne of his status as heir apparent to the Wayne Industries billions, proposing instead that the young Bruce is found in the street after his parents’ murder, and taken in by ‘Big Al’, who runs an auto repair shop with his son, ‘Little Al’. Driven by a desire for vengeance towards a manifest destiny of which he is only dimly aware, young Bruce (of deliberately indeterminate age) toils day and night in the shop, watching the comings and goings of hookers, johns, pimps and corrupt cops at a sleazy East End cathouse across the street, while chain-smoking detective James Gordon struggles with the corruption he finds endemic among Gotham City police officers of all ranks.

Bruce’s first act as a vigilante is to confront a dirty cop named Campbell as he accosts ‘Mistress Selina’ in the cathouse, but Campbell ends up dead and Bruce narrowly escapes being blamed. Realising that he needs to operate with more methodology, he initially dons a cape and hockey mask — deliberately suggestive of the costume of Jason Voorhees in the Friday the 13th films. However, Bruce soon evolves a more stylised ‘costume’ with both form and function, acquires a variety of makeshift gadgets and weapons, and re-configures a black Lincoln Continental into a makeshift ‘Bat-mobile’ — complete with blacked-out windows, night vision driving goggles, armoured bumpers and a super-charged school bus engine. In his new guise as ‘The Bat-Man’, Bruce Wayne wages war on criminals from street level to the highest echelons, working his way up the food chain to Police Commissioner Loeb and Mayor Noone, even as the executors of the Wayne estate search for their missing heir. In the end, Bruce accepts his dual destiny as heir to the Wayne fortune and the city’s saviour, and Gordon comes to accept that, while he may not agree with The Bat-Man’s methods, he cannot argue with his results. “In the comic book, the reinvention of Gordon was inspired,” says Aronofsky, “because for the first time he wasn’t a wimp, he was a bad-rear end guy. Gordon’s opening scene for us was [him] sitting on a toilet with the gun barrel in his mouth and six bullets in his hand, thinking about blowing his head off — and that to me is the character.”

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
"Jim Gordon's such a badass. So badass my first image of him is right before blowing his own brains out from feelings of impotence and depression."

I like Aronofsky, but he was absolutely the wrong choice, and I don't blame WB for pulling the plug on that version.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I'm not convinced Aronofsky was the wrong choice, but the script sounds like Miller decided to update Year One in the most Miller-y way.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

quote:

“We tried to ask that eternal question: ‘What does it take for a real man to put on tights and fight crime?’”

The promise of minor internet notoriety, if Phoenix Jones is any indication.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Steve2911 posted:

Just go digital.

Does DC do sales of their digital books?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Kurtofan posted:

Yes. They usually have sales of DC comics on Tuesdays. They have had some crazy sales this year so far.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes. They usually have sales of DC comics on Tuesdays. They have had some crazy sales this year so far.

Cheers, already bought the living hell issues since they were cheaper than buying it on amazon.

I gotta say I didn't expect the story to go in that direction, but it was interesting.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 8, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

There's a huge one on right now.
https://www.comixology.com/DC-Events-Sale/page/7312?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NtYWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw
Related to Batman, the three massive Knightfall collections are $5 each.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Teenage Fansub posted:

https://www.comixology.com/DC-Events-Sale/page/7312?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NtYWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Wow cool, anything else good in that? Is Batman RIP good?

Edit: apparently they have a French website they make me use, but they have the same promos so that's okay.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jul 8, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

Edit: apparently they have a French website they make me use, but they have the same promos so that's okay.

RIP is part of Grant Morrison's whole Batman saga which has this trade before it: https://www.comixology.com/Batman-B...C9pdGVtU2xpZGVy and quite a lot after (including Final Crisis.) If you have the commitment to read, like eight years of stuff, it's super great.

You asked about Forever Evil before you edited. If you've bought it, make sure you get the Justice League Trinity War one too. That leads directly to it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jul 8, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Teenage Fansub posted:

You asked about Forever Evil before you edited. If you've bought it, make sure you get the Justice League Trinity War one too. That leads directly to it.

Thanks.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

No no no. Trinity War is Johns JL at its worst and isn't remotely required reading for Forever Evil. In fact Forever Evil pretty much ignores it entirely given that it doesn't reference the trinity of sin stuff at all when Bruce recounts the events to Dr Stone.

Forever Evil works far better on its own by starting off in medias res and everything relevant to it is explained over the course of that story without the pointlessness of Trinity War.

The only thing important to read with Forever Evil are the JL-related tie ins that ran with the event.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
too late :( should I still read it

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jul 8, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. Cause you get some Doug Mahnke art before it's all Finchville ! :)

e: It does show off three different teams with a lot of characters. The Justice League Dark guys are fun, if you've never seen them. I only really remember being ticked off because there wasn't an ending. Everyone just got interrupted in their big fight by Forever Evil turning up.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 8, 2015

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I saw that 52 and some Green Lantern stuff are in the 5 dollar sale. They might be worth reading if you don't have them.
A bunch of Marvel stuff and other publishers stuff is all on sale too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

RIP is part of Grant Morrison's whole Batman saga which has this trade before it: https://www.comixology.com/Batman-B...C9pdGVtU2xpZGVy and quite a lot after (including Final Crisis.) If you have the commitment to read, like eight years of stuff, it's super great.
Final Crisis fits awkwardly into Morrison's run I think. It's really not a Batman story, and almost everything related to him is repeated and expanded on in the RIP / Time and the Batman trades, but it still provides a broader context for what happens at that point.

That's not to say it's not good though.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 8, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

RIP is great. However, if that's that's the first place you start with Morrison's run, you're not going to have any idea what the gently caress is going on. Teenage Fansub has already steered you in the right direction.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Re-read the last few pages of Zero Year (#33) before today's Batman.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

The localised sites are good and bad.

Good: Prices are in, I assume for you, Euros, so no need to convert every price in your head, and no bank charges for foreign transactions.
Bad: Can't take advantage when the dollar's weak.
Good: Should be in local language, so navigation's easier.
Bad: If some books have local publishing deals, they might not be on there. (See Scott Pilgrim in the UK)

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Final Crisis fits awkwardly into Morrison's run I think. It's really not a Batman story, and almost everything related to him is repeated and expanded on in the RIP / Time and the Batman trades, but it still provides a broader context for what happens at that point.

That's not to say it's not good though.
I've said this before, but Final Crisis is really RIP on a bigger scale including Hurt and Darkseid treading similar ground with their treatment of Bruce.

Bruce's confrontation with Darkseid is amazing, but it doesn't beat the simplicity of Batman attacking a character who is more or less the devil and seeing fear in his eyes.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Reading Knightfall, (first volume) interesting seeing some villains I've never heard of before, Bane's three guys, Film Freak (really?), Amygdala (some evil Hulk) and Cornelius Stirk (the poor man's Scarecrow).

I'm surprised Bane's guys didn't come back (as far as I know) because they seem interesting, wouldn't be surprised if they croaked before this is over tho.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Teenage Fansub posted:

poo poo thanks for posting this. I've been waiting for Knightfall to be reasonably priced for ages now.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

Reading Knightfall, (first volume) interesting seeing some villains I've never heard of before, Bane's three guys, Film Freak (really?), Amygdala (some evil Hulk) and Cornelius Stirk (the poor man's Scarecrow).

I'm surprised Bane's guys didn't come back (as far as I know) because they seem interesting, wouldn't be surprised if they croaked before this is over tho.

Amygdala sticks around for a bunch of Nightwing's solo series, I believe. The Tally Man always seemed like he was supposed to be a bigger deal than he actually was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I read Death of the Family yesterday. I am absolutely astounded that a story with such hosed up themes, imagery and outright gore also has the word 'rear end' asterisked out.

Comics are silly.

• Locked thread