Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Kurtofan posted:

I'm surprised Bane's guys didn't come back (as far as I know) because they seem interesting, wouldn't be surprised if they croaked before this is over tho.

Were Bane's henchmen ever used again in any story arc?

I enjoyed today's Batman for the one and done structure built around a bigger arc. Also loving Jim's attitude towards the whole thing. No idea how I feel about the ending though Kind of hoping it's a cop out and really some actor or something hired by the Wayne estate or whatnot there to keep up appearances. Or maybe even Hush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What's the difference between Batman and Detective Comics? They all look like Batman comics to me.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

What's the difference between Batman and Detective Comics? They all look like Batman comics to me.
There's no hard and fast deliniation. Again, this also depends on the writer, but Batman is generally more focused on Bats-as-superhero and Detective Comics is more down-to-earth stuff, but that really doesn't mean much in comics. This is subject to change at any time. The quality of the title has nothing to do with the actual title anyway. Scott Snyder wrote an incredible run on Detective just before the reboot, but it all went to poo poo once the series was handed off to Tony Daniel, for example.

Currently, it looks like Detective is focusing more on the Gotham PD side of things, but a new writer (or current writer!) could change it up and focus on Man-Bat or some poo poo, who knows.

Detective was historically first of course, and Batman (as a comic) was created so there could be another Batman comic to rake in big bucks (and well, Bats has name recognition).

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 8, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's really just a way to get multiple creative teams writing Batman. Same with 'Action Comics' and 'Superman'.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

redbackground posted:

Amygdala sticks around for a bunch of Nightwing's solo series, I believe. The Tally Man always seemed like he was supposed to be a bigger deal than he actually was.

I think Film Freak showed up in Will Pfeiffer's Catwoman. If I've got the right guy, he was a master planner, not a physical threat like Bane.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I thought Film Freak was the one Jean Paul killed when he finally Went Too Far in his career as Batman.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Travis343 posted:

I thought Film Freak was the one Jean Paul killed when he finally Went Too Far in his career as Batman.

Abattoir.

Madkal fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 9, 2015

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ah. No big loss either way.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
"going too far" is of course Valley killing an insane mass murderer. Gotta love Bruce's ethics.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's really just a way to get multiple creative teams writing Batman. Same with 'Action Comics' and 'Superman'.

Also, Detective Comics is good again (at least, I think so) since Manapul and Bucallato took over.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Drifter posted:

"going too far" is of course Valley killing an insane mass murderer. Gotta love Bruce's ethics.

Batman, either through action or inaction, doesn't kill.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dsmif posted:

Batman, either through action or inaction, doesn't kill.

He did in Batman Begins with R'as.

By him not killing or putting down immediately these killers he's letting innocents die.
Valley was a crazy dick, but he had a point. Punisher and Moon Knight know what's up.

Besides all Jean-Paul did was not help up the dude while he was hanging from chains, letting him fall. He didn't stab him in the face or anything.

edit: this is an amazing bit of history. :laugh:

quote:

Abattoir returned as a ghost (during a brief period of increased supernatural activity, worldwide), to torment the original Batman (Bruce Wayne) using Valley's Batman-armor, but Batman proved much less susceptible to psychological assault than his substitute. Batman tricked Abbatoir's ghost into abandoning the armor and his mission. (The ghost was attempting to cause his [Bruce's] last remaining blood relative, a pregnant cousin, to miscarry and then he would possess the infant.)

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 9, 2015

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Drifter posted:

By him not killing or putting down immediately these killers he's letting innocents die.
Valley was a crazy dick, but he had a point. Punisher and Moon Knight know what's up.

Besides all Jean-Paul did was not help up the dude while he was hanging from chains, letting him fall. He didn't stab him in the face or anything.

edit: this is an amazing bit of history. :laugh:

What happens in the movies doesn't have any impact on the comics.

Batman doesn't kill because he doesn't have the right. Stopping crooks in the middle of committing a crime, or catching them afterwards is already outside the law, but Gordon and the like support him because he is basically operating as a super cop and handling crimes they cant. If he steps over that line and tries to start dishing out his own sentencing then that would be too much for Gordon to allow.

Police officers don't have the right to execute criminals, punishment for crimes is handled by the justice system.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Goodbye Bat-Train we hardly knew ye. :(

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Drifter posted:

He hosed up because he had brain problems and someone being held hostage slowly died because of it. Morality doesn't even enter the picture, he had so many hosed up brain problems he couldn't be Batman. Do you know how bad off you have to be to be too crazy to be Batman?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Boogaleeboo posted:

He hosed up because he had brain problems and someone being held hostage slowly died because of it. Morality doesn't even enter the picture, he had so many hosed up brain problems he couldn't be Batman. Do you know how bad off you have to be to be too crazy to be Batman?

He didn't know Abby had a list in his pockets. He only found out about it after the fact. With or without Jean-Paul that hostage was dead.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

He let Abbatoir die instead of capturing him and finding the name of the person who was set up to be killed. It was totally preventable if Jean Paul wasn't busy talking to ghosts. I'm really quite fond of Azbats. Issue after issue of people going "Holy poo poo! You're not Batman, you psychopath!"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
:ssh: You aren't supposed to side with AzBats. He was pretty much created to be extreme as possible to make people see that having Batman be as extreme as possible would be a bad idea :ssh:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Drifter posted:

He didn't know Abby had a list in his pockets. He only found out about it after the fact. With or without Jean-Paul that hostage was dead.

He didn't do everything he could to save the hostage and instead killed someone to satisfy his anger.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Senor Candle posted:

He didn't do everything he could to save the hostage and instead killed someone to satisfy his anger.

I thought it was more he had two dissonant personalities in his head waging a war about what action to take. One wanted to kill the dude, the other wanted to save him.

The only difference between Azbats and Batman was that they showed Az killing dudes on screen. Batman's just a really unreliable narrator.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1byycwl8qgc

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Drifter posted:

I thought it was more he had two dissonant personalities in his head waging a war about what action to take. One wanted to kill the dude, the other wanted to save him.

The only difference between Azbats and Batman was that they showed Az killing dudes on screen. Batman's just a really unreliable narrator.
So you're saying that Batman actually kills a ton of people?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Senor Candle posted:

So you're saying that Batman actually kills a ton of people?

Definitely.
He's gaslighting us with his auto-biographical propaganda.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Andy Kubert will be providing the artwork for Frank Miller's The Dark Knight III:Master Race with inks by Klaus Jansen.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
What a waste of good art.

BuddyChrist
Apr 29, 2008

Drifter posted:

In one of the Michael Keaton movies didn't he autopilot the batmobile to a factory, blow it open with a machine gun, take out a bunch of dudes, and then blowup the factory as it leaves? What I'm saying is that movie Bats doesn't give a gently caress.

Also thanks to the person who posted the trade reading order site. It's not perfect but it at least helps to figure out an order. Also it reminds me how long some of these have been around. Iron Man had 2 pages on that site and Batman had like 9.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Looking at the promos, do people recommend flashpoint? I heard that's the most recent "big event"?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nah.
It transitioned the old DC universe to the 'New 52', but you don't need it.
Watch the cartoon adaptation, if anything.

It had a couple of good tie-ins. Read Flashpoint:Batman some time.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 10, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Yeah, I'd say the cartoon version of Flashpoint Paradox is probably better than reading the comics at this point.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

Looking at the promos, do people recommend flashpoint?
Never.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
E: Disregard

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I want to buy a large size batman coffee table book. Don't have any specific content im after, just a oversized high quality batman book.

Any recommendations?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Norns posted:

I want to buy a large size batman coffee table book. Don't have any specific content im after, just a oversized high quality batman book.

Any recommendations?

If you're not concerned about price then any of the Absolutes fit the bill. Some are cheaper than others like Long Halloween.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

And the 52 books?

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 10, 2015

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Kurtofan posted:

And the 52 books?
52 is possibly the best big event DC ever did.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Doctor Spaceman posted:

52 is possibly the best big event DC ever did.

Thanks.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Is 52 the same thing as the Injustice stuff?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Drifter posted:

Is 52 the same thing as the Injustice stuff?

The video game?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kurtofan posted:

The video game?

The comic.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

'52' was the weekly series set in the regular DC universe in 2006.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/52_(comics)

Kurtofan posted:

Oh is that different from the new 52?

Yup.

52 has just been the magic number of DC for a while. 52 issues in the weekly series, which ended in 52 Earths existing in the multiverse, the N52 relaunch had 52 comics, etc.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jul 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Oh is that different from the new 52?

• Locked thread