Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Bit worried about Halep to be honest, she's been kind of wobbly lately. I hope she can reverse the trend but she sometimes seems susceptible to confidence issues and I hope this doesn't spiral out of control Bouchard-style. Lucic-Baroni beat her at the USO last year as well and I kind of had a bad feeling about this match the moment I saw the draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

This Monfils v Cuevas match is kind of hilarious. Cuevas was double break up in the 4th, then imploded under pressure from the crowd and was broken three times in a row. This being Monfils, though, I almost expect him to lose this final set 6-1 or something.

edit: I guess Cuevas is collapsing instead. Poor guy, he looks shattered.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 29, 2015

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Ugh, not again... :(

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

She should've stayed away from Safarova's lefty forehand, she kept getting punished there. Good start to the day.

edit: Christ, the break did not do Monfils good, he looks completely lost out there at the moment.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jun 1, 2015

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

That was an excellent tiebreak from Safarova. It sucks that they're basically playing for the right to lose to Serena, though. I figure Muguruza has the best chance against her in the final but even that is a massive long shot.

edit: What are you doing Nishikori. He's terrible out there at the moment.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 2, 2015

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Sodium Chloride posted:

What happened in the Nishikori match? Play stopped for some reason. I went out to post something and missed whatever happened.

A big chunk of metal came off of one of the screens in the corner and fell into the crowd. I don't think anyone was seriously injured, fortunately.

edit: Yikes.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 2, 2015

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Djokovic just handing it away. Nadal hasn't actually been able to do much damage with his groundstrokes so far, everything's landing way too short.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Now I really want Nadal to win this set after that hold.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

The way they're playing it'll be a miracle if Nadal somehow manages to win even a set. This should've been a breezy 6-2 6-3 or something by now.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

It's going to suck when Murray loses to Djokovic again. :smith: At least it won't be in a slam final.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I don't know if they are mindgames to unsettle the opponent, but maybe. To me Serena often comes across as disinterested, as if she needs to dig herself a hole to climb out of before she can be bothered to show any interest. It could be she's just a drama queen who enjoys constructing that narrative for her matches. Or maybe she's really ill, or maybe it's just mindgames. I kind of never know; sometimes when I think she's doing it on purpose again, she ends up actually tamely losing the match which makes me think it was genuine... but then even that could be part of the overall narrative.

edit: Either way I would love a Safarova v Bacsinszky final, so this works for me.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Sometimes a person's serve is wonky because that happens naturally, not because she feels unchallenged at her job or is playing the world's most needless mindgame.

Absolutely, and I'm not ruling that out. I also don't necessarily think that she would be doing that kind of thing consciously (edit: I did say "on purpose" in my previous post but I think it's more likely to be subconscious). But she many times starts out a match looking bored or flat, moving slowly, etc., just showing general disinterest. And only when she's down a set and a break her play starts to improve and she turns things around (and obviously her opponents help with that too). I've seen that happen so many times that I can't help but see a pattern there.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 4, 2015

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

This is tame from Andy, he's been much better than this over the past few weeks. Should be doing better, even against Djokovic.

edit: It's unreal how good Djokovic is. He looks completely unbeatable. This must be what it was like to watch Federer in his prime, I'm guessing.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 5, 2015

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Goddammit, please keep it together Andy.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Christ, what a hold. Where was this tennis in the first two sets?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Ah well, good effort from Murray to take it to five, it's just a shame he can't seem to keep his head in a final set against Djokovic. Should have a good shot at Wimbledon, at least?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Women's final has burst into life the last half hour. Serena's level has dropped a bit and Safarova's just going for broke, hitting the lines nonstop.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Still early, but looks like Good Stan showed up. This is so good so far.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Christ Wawrinka

edit: wow

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

This is just outrageous.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I can't believe it.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Unbelievable.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Poor Djokovic, christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Nice to see Djokovic getting all that love from the crowd. Maybe if he keeps losing in the final here they'll eventually start rooting for him as an underdog.

• Locked thread